• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Truth101 said:
It is nice, but I always preferred thinner more rectangular banners. Don't know hwy, they just seem to flow better.

Yeah, the current one is more vertically-favored but that one was a bit too tall IMO.

brandonh83 said:
Just for the hell of it here's one of my other banner concepts, just because I liked it. But in the end I felt they were too much and I wanted something a bit more elegant/iconic.

http://i40.tinypic.com/21cc95w.png

I imagine some people might actually like that one better but I didn't want to do the typical character collage over it, so I saved that for the footer.
You made the right choice, I liked the first first one even better as I told you too. It's cool

walking fiend said:
You made the right choice, I liked the first first one even better as I told you too. It's cool

My immediate idea was to get a bit nostalgic so I pulled the shield with the original NES cover but replaced the icons on that to stuff more related to SS like the very first teaser image we got of the game. And I always liked the Master Sword stabbing down through the Z so I had to have that too.

Pretty fun project. Glad Ami let me do it. Really helped pass the time.

Retro

Truth101 said:
It does release Sunday. I wanted to get it Saturday at a midnight launch. :C

Whew.

But seriously, fuck Gamestop for not doing midnight launches for this.

What, is it not fucking brown-on-brown enough to qualify for Nextgen Dudebro Launch status? Does Link need to call somebody a bitch as he stares down the iron sights of a chainsawed-off shotgun?

Bleh.

Retro said:
But seriously, fuck Gamestop for not doing midnight launches for this.

Skyrim is the better Zelda game so naturally they had a midnight launch for that. Just name your character Link and it's pretty much the same thing.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
about a week to go til I play LoZ:SS.....gonna play some Dark Souls and Elder Scrolls to sate my thirst til the 20th.

Hellish

Found it early but I want this steelbook so I have to wait :(

10182609.jpg

The CE should come with this IMO not just a futureshop exclusive which seems to be getting a steel book for every game these days.

cajunator

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Skyrim is the better Zelda game so naturally they had a midnight launch for that. Just name your character Link and it's pretty much the same thing.
I was watching some gameplay footage of Skyrim and its pretty fucking hilarious how janky it is.

Amir0x

Banned
Nick_GTL said:
Found it early but I want this steelbook so I have to wait :(

10182609.jpg

The CE should come with this IMO not just a futureshop exclusive which seems to be getting a steel book for every game these days.

I love steelbooks too. It's the ONE thing I actually buy special editions for, when it has a steel book.

I have a gift card so I'm hoping that I can find a LE walking into Target Sunday morning.

It's either I get the game practically for free or I pay $20-ish dollars.

I have a motion plus attachment so I'm good either way, I'd just like to have that gold controller.

cajunator

Banned
Amir0x said:
I love steelbooks too. It's the ONE thing I actually buy special editions for, when it has a steel book.
I bought the Metroid Prime trilogy because of Steelbook. Steelbooks don't get enough love at all.

Amir0x

Banned
cajunator said:
I bought the Metroid Prime trilogy because of Steelbook. Steelbooks don't get enough love at all.

Yup. The only thing I ever need in my "collector's editions": steelbook and a music CD of sorts. I use these, so that's what I prefer. Also sometimes it's not so bad to get a special art book, but only if they can make it fit naturally into the case somewhere.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
really even playing Skyrim isn't helping me. I'm fucking stuck thinking about this game all day anyway :(
well there's an ead tokyo mario game coming out tomorrow. that should keep you busy for a day or two until rayman comes out.

Verano said:
about a week to go til I play LoZ:SS.....gonna play some Dark Souls and Elder Scrolls to sate my thirst til the 20th.
I have got so many game I don't know where to start. But for some reasons, the only game I can get myself to play will be this, and probably will finish some SMG levels.

Though, I finished Claymore, started by Anime and read throgh manga, last night (And it was really good, best Manga I have read for a long time).

I may also pick some book to read or watch some movies, but I just don't feel like trying to play, specially finish, any other game.

edit: oh, seems I am not the only one feeling like this.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't know if I should buy Skyrim to pass the time. I hate oblivion so much, but I somehow got swept up in the Skyrim hype. Stupid Zelda not here yet.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
well there's an ead tokyo mario game coming out tomorrow. that should keep you busy for a day or two until rayman comes out.

i'm not excited about it at all, shockingly enough. The Mario 3D Land demo made me go :|, the first time I've ever had a reaction that negative to a Mario game. It is the worst controlling Mario game to date and the level design was disgustingly simple. If I have to go through seven worlds to get to good parts, I think I'll go mad. I was no fan of the two NSMB titles, but Mario 3D Land felt really really off.

I'm playing it, don't get me wrong, but Rayman Origins is going to have my platforming attention for real, I'm sure.

Amir0x said:
i'm not excited about it at all, shockingly enough. The Mario 3D Land demo made me go :|, the first time I've ever had a reaction that negative to a Mario game. It is the worst controlling Mario game to date and the level design was disgustingly simple. If I have to go through seven worlds to get to good parts, I think I'll go mad. I was no fan of the two NSMB titles, but Mario 3D Land felt really really off.

I'm playing it, don't get me wrong, but Rayman Origins is going to have my platforming attention for real, I'm sure.
You know that after you beat the game all the levels will be playable again, being challenging, with new stuff and so on?

Though, I dunno about the control. I don't like NSMB at all, compared to SMG at least.

Amir0x

Banned
walking fiend said:
You know that after you beat the game all the levels will be playable again, being challenging, with new stuff and so on?

Yeah I heard about it and to me that's not really compelling. Because it's not like they're new levels or anything like that, so if it's the case I'll be playing "modified" versions of levels I've already played it's just redundant and they should have let me play the challenging versions to begin with. If they can't be arsed to just make brand new levels that are at that challenge level, then I'm just not going to make excuses for it anymore. That's just me, however.

And with the awkward way Mario controls compared to top tier Mario games, it's clearly not going to be something I can ever love.

Anyway, off topic, Skyward Sword rocks.

cajunator

Banned
I have Uncharted 3 (just got to chapter 10 so the good stuff is apparently about to happen)
and I just beat Sonic Generations, but those games in no way fill my desire to play Zelda.
It boggles my mind how anyone thinks that any other franchise could just "fill the hole" in place of Skyward Sword. Thats crazy talk.

Amir0x

Banned
cajunator said:
I have Uncharted 3 (just got to chapter 10 so the good stuff is apparently about to happen)
and I just beat Sonic Generations, but those games in no way fill my desire to play Zelda.
It boggles my mind how anyone thinks that any other franchise could just "fill the hole" in place of Skyward Sword. Thats crazy talk.

Uncharted 3 had trouble filling the hole left in anticipating some third rate piece of shovelware, let alone Zelda!

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

yeah i'm not looking forward to it either. it's basically a buffer between sonic generations and rayman.

but maybe having low expectations will lead to some surprises. i still have kinda low expectations for skyward sword (until i see a new trailer, then i go crazy for a little bit).

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
yeah i'm not looking forward to it either. it's basically a buffer between sonic generations and rayman.

but maybe having low expectations will lead to some surprises. i still have kinda low expectations for skyward sword (until i see a new trailer, then i go crazy for a little bit).

I've blackouted for Skyward Sword, but the demo convinced me that it'll be sufficiently amazing. I have some reservations, as always with motion control abuse, but it seems to me the game design is so good at the core that I'll be able to overlook it for the most part, much like I did in my Twilight Princess Wii playthrough.

Amir0x said:
Yeah I heard about it and to me that's not really compelling. Because it's not like they're new levels or anything like that, so if it's the case I'll be playing "modified" versions of levels I've already played it's just redundant and they should have let me play the challenging versions to begin with. If they can't be arsed to just make brand new levels that are at that challenge level, then I'm just not going to make excuses for it anymore. That's just me, however.
I get your point. But I think they made this decision to make it more accessible to most of the people, and not because they were lazy. I think those used to playing 2D Mario just don't see that 2D Mario games can be too much hard for those who aren't. NSMB DS was really hard for me if I wanted to get more than 2 stars at most of the levels, starting from world 2. Hardest levels of SMG that I have played just get as hard as these early levels for me. I am not sure if it should have been an unlocked more from the beginning or not, though.

Anyhow, why they did this is not important as long as they did it; If I were in your place and found the game too easy, I wouldn't bother with it either, probably.

Second anyhow to your ninja edit anyhow, yes, it's off topic!

cajunator

Banned
The fishing was so fun in TP it made the motion controls worth it for me.
I can't wait to try all the crazy stuff like bomb bowling and directional sword slashing. The swordplay in Red Steel 2 worked so well that I'm not at all worried that it will work fine here.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I've blackouted for Skyward Sword, but the demo convinced me that it'll be sufficiently amazing. I have some reservations, as always with motion control abuse, but it seems to me the game design is so good at the core that I'll be able to overlook it for the most part, much like I did in my Twilight Princess Wii playthrough.
i sure hope so. some of my concerns have been echoed by some reviewers (not even regarding motion controls, but more related to padding), so i dunno. i'm sure it'll be overall a well-made game and i'll be in happy idiot mode while i play it like i was oot, mm, tww, and tp, and then proclaim it the best zelda ever like i did with oot, mm, tww, and tp, before looking at it more critically.

I can't wait to finally put some use to that damn motion+ attachment. Haven't played anything m+ besides resort.

Nintendo creates this really nice peripheral finally giving motion gaming the tech it needs, and what do they do, make 3 games for it and call it a day...

cajunator said:
The fishing was so fun in TP it made the motion controls worth it for me.
I can't wait to try all the crazy stuff like bomb bowling and directional sword slashing. The swordplay in Red Steel 2 worked so well that I'm not at all worried that it will work fine here.
it's a bit different.

AI in RS2 normal sword fighting was downright boring, it's much better in SS, enemies are really well designed and act in ways that you have to actually bother with choosing the right direction to attack. In happened very expectedly in RS2, it practically wasn't much more than NMH directional slices that showed up once in a while.

In RS, the sword was graphically mimiced very well, motion was also used to pull of techniques as well; but ultimately you didn't need to care much about direction of your sword in the fights.

Not to say that it wasn't good, it was fast paced and needed you to be vigilant in the fights specially against harder enemiesl, the combination of melee and range was also excellent; but imho, it wasn't a good show for what motion 'plus' can do to change the pace of action to a more 'complex' one.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is there any difference between the motion plus dongle thing and the one imbedded into the wiimote? Is the embedded one better since it was released later?

cajunator said:

For me games like Skyrim proves that you can make the biggest, prettiest, deepest, most detail-rich adventure game ever, and it's still not quite Zelda. Sure, there are some obvious (well not to some people, depressingly) differences, but some people literally think "well why get Zelda when Skyrim is the biggest, grittiest RPG out there?"

The problem is that it's not that simple at all. Zelda's gameplay is based around puzzle solving, by figuring your way through dungeons and exploring Hyrule which is such a diverse world, full of color and surprises. It's also always been a more compacted world.

I was talking about this in the reviews thread about how I don't think Skyward Sword should be frowned upon for not having these big gigantic overworlds. Zelda is not some sandbox game. Hyrule has almost always been a series of varied but interconnected areas that make up the grand scheme.

Arkham City, for example, had a pretty good sized open world, but I found it to be boring and dreary. I suppose that's the idea, considering the nature of that franchise-- and even correct, but it wasn't for me. Oblivion was massive, but I never found it to be environmentally engaging. It was nice to look at, at the time, and I did get into it, but it wasn't like playing A Link to the Past for the first time, for example, and being truly wondered by the place.

The areas I'm seeing in Skyward suggest a more compacted and efficient experience much like the older Zelda titles. I care not about having a big massive overworld in a Zelda game, or even a big open Hyrule Field for the sake of having a big open environment. I know I started this post talking about the differences between Zelda and Skyrim but I wanted to elaborate why I feel that Zelda should have a different style when it comes to how the world is laid out.

So yeah. For me Zelda is still doing it right. Everyone else is scrambling to create these gigantic worlds, and that's great, I like that. But it's not Zelda.

Amir0x

Banned
Divvy said:
Is there any difference between the motion plus dongle thing and the one imbedded into the wiimote? Is the embedded one better since it was released later?

I doubt we'd be able to tell the difference. I have one of each and I certainly can't.

cajunator

Banned
walking fiend said:
it's a bit different.

AI in RS2 normal sword fighting was downright boring, it's much better in SS, enemies are really well designed and act in ways that you have to actually bother with choosing the right direction to slice.

In RS, the sword was graphically mimiced very well, motion was also used to pull of techniques as well; but ultimately you didn't need to care much about direction of your sword in the fights.

Not to say that it wasn't good, it was fast paced and needed you to be vigilant in the fights specially against harder enemies, but imho, it wasn't a good show for what motion 'plus' can do to change the pace of action to a more 'complex' one.
True, but being able to slice an enemy up in the air, then shoot them in midair and then fucking stab them down again was so satisfying. It sold me on motion controls.

Divvy said:
You are the 3rd person that 'I' am answering to. No, it isn't, they are the same.

True, but being able to slice an enemy up in the air, then shoot them in midair and then fucking stab them down again was so satisfying. It sold me on motion controls.
Yes, it felt really good. But I just think they could implement it using normal Wiimote as well, but maybe they couldn't! should stop judging it...

edit: I feel really sorry for RS2, but maybe the RS was responsible for it and even for the over all lack of confidence of core gamers in motion gaming.

But RS2 got so many things right, while some basic stuff totally wrong. Graphics, combat and control were downright amazing.

Metroid Killer said:

grrr FUCK YOU KIDS, GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY SHOT. I may be incredibly weird, taking a picture of two 'lovebirds' but the old dude with the beard told me too and he may be a clear sexual deviant but I want my deluxe pictobox god damn you*

*pretty-much actual quote from about an hour ago

cajunator

Banned
brandonh83 said:
For me games like Skyrim proves that you can make the biggest, prettiest, deepest, most detail-rich adventure game ever, and it's still not quite Zelda. Sure, there are some obvious (well not to some people, depressingly) differences, but some people literally think "well why get Zelda when Skyrim is the biggest, grittiest RPG out there?"

The problem is that it's not that simple at all. Zelda's gameplay is based around puzzle solving, by figuring your way through dungeons and exploring Hyrule which is such a diverse world, full of color and surprises. It's also always been a more compacted world.

I was talking about this in the reviews thread about how I don't think Skyward Sword should be frowned upon for not having these big gigantic overworlds. Zelda is not some sandbox game. Hyrule has almost always been a series of varied but interconnected areas that make up the grand scheme.

Arkham City, for example, had a pretty good sized open world, but I found it to be boring and dreary. I suppose that's the idea, considering the nature of that franchise-- and even correct, but it wasn't for me. Oblivion was massive, but I never found it to be environmentally engaging. It was nice to look at, at the time, and I did get into it, but it wasn't like playing A Link to the Past for the first time, for example, and being truly wondered by the place.

The areas I'm seeing in Skyward suggest a more compacted and efficient experience much like the older Zelda titles. I care not about having a big massive overworld in a Zelda game, or even a big open Hyrule Field for the sake of having a big open environment. I know I started this post talking about the differences between Zelda and Skyrim but I wanted to elaborate why I feel that Zelda should have a different style when it comes to how the world is laid out.

So yeah. For me Zelda is still doing it right. Everyone else is scrambling to create these gigantic worlds, and that's great, I like that. But it's not Zelda.

It also doesn't have those little musical jingles to let you know when you've accomplished something, or the awkward goofy characters, or the little touches that make Zelda games Zelda games. As I've said many times, you can try to imitate Zelda as much as you want, and Okami came the closest, BUT IT STILL ISNT ZELDA.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not sure why people would even want to play another Skyrim when they can just play Skyrim.

Zelda games are dramatically different from those types of products.

Amir0x

Banned
Also I just want to say, I loved Twilight Princess, but goddamn it is awesome to be playing a super colorful Zelda again in a week.

Retro

brandonh83 said:

Agreed; the comparisons between Zelda and Skyrim can be summed up in one simple phrase; quality vs. quantity. Skyrim may be huge, but there's not that much out there waiting for you... whereas every little corner of a Zelda game usually has something hidden in it.

What are the thread rules vis a vis spoilers? I'd like to participate in the official thread, but some of you guys are psychos who will have beaten the game by the 23rd and I REFUSE to be spoiled. Heck, I've even had avatars blocked since E3 in anticipation of this game.

Amir0x

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
What are the thread rules vis a vis spoilers? I'd like to participate in the official thread, but some of you guys are psychos who will have beaten the game by the 23rd and I REFUSE to be spoiled. Heck, I've even had avatars blocked since E3 in anticipation of this game.

Well I hope everyone spoiler tags puzzle solutions, location spoilers, story spoilers and boss spoilers. I think most GAFers are smart enough to know the line (I hope)

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I pretty much prefer totally spoiler tagged. I am sure people will advance at very different paces, but all want to participate in the OT.

Top Bottom