• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda ~The Minish Cap~ Famitsu scan

olimario

Banned
Seeing these scans makes me wish this was on the GameCube using the Wind Waker engine.
I want to see the new blue dude and his race in glorious 3D.

:(
I weep

Also note the intro story is told with stained glass pictures :)

DSN2K

looks better then WW imo.

art suits a 2D game, WW never looked right. Link looked completely different to the art released.

miyuru

I'm glad all the WW art didn't go to waste! It does suit 2D better, but you can say that about most concept art, as 3D is infinitely harder to master than 2D.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Grey Fox said:
what the hell is up with his hat?
It clearly wants to see up Zelda's skirt.
minishart10.gif

Here is a nice collection of official artwork:
http://www.legendofzelda.com/mcapoff.html

EVOLUTION1.jpg

I can't get enough of this new look for Link. Out of all the designs Nintendo has used for Link through the years, this Minish Cap version is easily my favorite.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'll have to be honest, I really love the designs of the first two Links. Especially the first one, it's so iconoclastic.

The Minish Cap is my current fav, they really nailed it and did some intelligent and very slight redesigning on the Wind Waker version.

john tv

That pic from Zelda 1 isn't the regular Link art. It's the SD art from the manual. The real one is a little more sophisticated.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Oh I completely forgot about that Link.

Link with chainmail? Nothing can beat that.

I confirm what JohnTV says, it indeed is the artwork from the manual.

I think there was more realistic official art used for the first Zelda. If I recall correctly, the SD-ish art you see above was drawn by Shigeru Miyamato himself.

Edit: a more realistic Zelda 1 Link:
normal_link-items.jpg

Where did the artwork from Anihawk's pic come from? The upcoming Gamecube game?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SonicMegaDrive said:
Where did the artwork from Anihawk's pic come from? The upcoming Gamecube game?
Yes sir and even the in-game model does a decent job of reflecting that artwork. Chainmail Link rocks hard.

hirokazu

heh, sort of funny seeing Link evolve through to OoT style, and then seem as if he devolves to TWW style, except for the SCII one in the way.

i always thought Minish Cap Link looked a bit different to TWW's, just noticed now that his hair style is changed. i like the new one.

Kola

Can someone confirm if the European version will be released on 12th November? This would be the first Zelda I wouldn't have to import. I need this one ASAP!

lol @ more of miyamoto's drug references. First Pikmin and its drugs and now this..

Prince Zelda = stoned
Ganon = stoned.

Bad joke. I know. This game is a MUST BUY. Looks fantastic.

Teen link should hook up with Lindsay Lohan. Teh Sex.

olimario

Banned
The new link's art is terrible.
I feel like I'm looking at a goth teenager who is trying to show me his teenage angst.

The Minish Cap Link and the Zelda 1 Link are the best there is.
It's just, with the Minish Cap artwork I see Link showing a lot of emotion and being able to cover a broad spectrum. With the new Zelda I see him being angry 80 percent of the time and suprised the other 20.

belgurdo

Banned
olimario said:
I feel like I'm looking at a goth teenager who is trying to show me his teenage angst.

The Minish Cap Link and the Zelda 1 Link are the best there is.
It's just, with the Minish Cap artwork I see Link showing a lot of emotion and being able to cover a broad spectrum. With the new Zelda I see him being angry 80 percent of the time and suprised the other 20.

Funny, Zelda I Link (unless you're talking about the blobbish, souless 'item demo' drawings) looks just as moody and unsure as New Link does

And there's nothing really exciting about MC Link, other than that constant childish surprised look he has on his face all the time

olimario

Banned
belgurdo said:
Funny, Zelda I Link (unless you're talking about the blobbish, souless 'item demo' drawings) looks just as moody and unsure as New Link does

And there's nothing really exciting about MC Link, other than that constant childish surprised look he has on his face all the time

Predictable post.

I'm not talking about the look on their faces in the pictures provided, but rather the ability of their style and their faces to show a broad range of emotion.

Minish Cap Link can pull off a very convincing suprised, scared, angry, sad, look if he wants to.
I can't see that range with the Zelda GCN Link at all.

belgurdo said:

funny. In Sonic Megadrives' post I see:

curious link : postive link : bemused link (the last pic conveys a bit of emotions)

Olimario - maybe the reason why you don't see that range is because you haven't seen enough. They didn't show much. I can't wait to see Teen Zelda and the rest of the universe. You're not mention

olimario

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
funny. In Sonic Megadrives' post I see:

curious link : postive link : bemused link (the last pic conveys a bit of emotions)

Olimario - maybe the reason why you don't see that range is because you haven't seen enough. They didn't show much. I can't wait to see Teen Zelda and the rest of the universe. You're not mention

Perhaps. I just see an emotionless OOT Link repeat.
I don't want that kind of de-evolution.

Zilch

Banned
THIS JUST IN: Realistic character models unable to show range of emotion!

Hmm, I remember both OOT models show plenty of emotions. Just as many as Wind Waker Link. And I LIKE WW Link.

olimario said:
Perhaps. I just see an emotionless OOT Link repeat.
I don't want that kind of de-evolution.

:| I think you gotta give Nintendo a break - look at RE4 - the look on Ash? face when she says "My father?" conveyed pure delight on her part. I just hope...

that the villagers stand up to the same level of scrutiny that GCN link is on. In WW; they kind of worked but in GCN link's universe; they'd have to be realistic and I do wonder how they'll look + Zelda (provided she's in THIS story)

Zilch

Banned
C'mon oli, admit that what you're saying is nothing more than a reactionary response to the exact opposite opinions that people have had about Link. Cuz you're spewing some real shit. Both "cartoony" and "realistic" forms are legitimate -- they both can represent Link fairly.

Stop being an ass.

olimario

Banned
Zilch said:
C'mon oli, admit that what you're saying is nothing more than a reactionary response to the exact opposite opinions that people have had about Link. Cuz you're spewing some real shit. Both "cartoony" and "realistic" forms are legitimate -- they both can represent Link fairly.

Stop being an ass.

I don't think the move back to 'moody teenage angst' link was a good one.
I'll wait and see, but what I have seen shows a 'one emotion' link whos only goal is to please the masses with his edgy, vengeful attitude.

olimario said:
I don't think the move back to 'moody teenage angst' link was a good one.
I'll wait and see, but what I have seen shows a 'one emotion' link whos only goal is to please the masses with his edgy, vengeful attitude.

as opposed to the olimario pleasing chibi link with sleepy eyes? :D I think the change will be good - we're still getting WW link in the handhelds?

for what its worth; link in FSA didn't / aren't too good at displaying emotions.

olimario

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
as opposed to the olimario pleasing chibi link with sleepy eyes? :D I think the change will be good - we're still getting WW link in the handhelds?

for what its worth; link in FSA didn't / aren't too good at displaying emotions.

That's because they were tiny 2D sprites and not fleshed out 3D characters like in Wind Waker. But like I said, I'll wait and see.

SantaC

the new Link in Legend of Zelda 2005 GCN looks awesome! And yes he should be able to show emotions even though he isn't celshaded.

But I really want this new Zelda for GBA! November 12th folks :p

AniHawk

olimario said:

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
AniHawk said:
Don't you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?
He's not wrong. Isn't it obvious from the one solitary piece of art and the short teaser trailer that Nintendo will only allow the new Link to look pissed off? Surely Nintendo's programmers couldn't or wouldn't want to change his facial expressions ever. Only brightly colored Links are capable of smiling or widening their eyes! It's a rule hardwired into the GC and GBA chipsets. Duh.

In summary: Olimario is retarded.

Dan said:
He's not wrong. Isn't it obvious from the one solitary piece of art and the short teaser trailer that Nintendo will only allow the new Link to look pissed off? Surely Nintendo's programmers couldn't or wouldn't want to change his facial expressions ever. Only brightly colored Links are capable of smiling or widening their eyes! It's a rule hardwired into the GC and GBA chipsets. Duh.

In summary: Olimario is retarded.

Use the word special. He's a special boy. I happen to like him. The fact the he likes KAR means

Olimario > GAF

jett

D-Member
normal_link-items.jpg

That's the best Link artwork ever. Zelda 1's art in general rules. WW/Minish Cap's rocks too. Oot/MM/TEHMATURE's is teh bleh.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
SonicMegaDrive said:
EVOLUTION1.jpg

I can't get enough of this new look for Link. Out of all the designs Nintendo has used for Link through the years, this Minish Cap version is easily my favorite.
oracle link gets my vote all the time

Top Bottom