• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Kimahri

Banned
Ok. Personally I cannot stand horribly written movies about superheroes, which is different from well written movies about superheroes.
I find the stupid action entertaining when I've got the feverish flu and need something dumb that doesn't require a functioning brain.

QSD

Seriously nitpicking????? The whole show is a meme generator!

How about letting those fine people in horror movie threads hear phrases like the following
"Give me the meat and give it to me raw"

That would usually be a 'so bad it's good' quotable line in a horror movie

When you create an art, people expect the next to be the superior.

This would be your expectation sir, not 'the people'

Should you chilling out or stop nitpicking and just watch the show just because someone told you so?

It would certainly help you to move through life with less disappointment!

That is a very odd comparison. Horror movies are stupid, they always have been stupid, and they have spawned a whoel plethora of tropes about how stupid people are. "Let's split up" being chief among them,

They are stupid, so are action movies usually, thus people don't apply this bizarre level of scrutiny to them or it would not be possible to enjoy them.

The Lord of the Rings is not stupid. The book, is excellence. The movies were excellence.

The movies, as great as they were, were noticeably made by a horror director and had plenty of cheese and unbelievable action scenes (surfin' legolas, gimli being thrown into the middle of an orc rabble and surviving, gandalf beating denethor with his staff without anyone intervening, I could go on)

The bar is set at excellence, so that is what we expect. The Hobbit got a lot of flack, rightfully so, because it did not come anywhere near the bar set by the LotR trilogy.

The audience for Rings of Power is not even remotely close to being what it is for horror movies. The same people might enjoy both, but go into each with vastly different expectations.

It's the expectations (which IMHO are unnecessarily elevated) that I'm pointing out here

This isn't just some people bitching and moaning about insignificant things though, there is so much inane writing in this show that it's downright baffling. It's not nitpicking to sit on the couch going WTF? when Halbrand suddenly intercepts Adar (from the front no less) even though he left the village after Adar and Galadriel.
This kind of continuity error is so commonplace in action movies it is scarcely worth pointing out, why is it bothersome here?

It's just dumb shit over and over that we're just supposed to accept no explanation for. Or 160+ (theonering.com counted) horses with riders that somehow fit on three small boats.

This is also something that is so common in many action/adventure movies that it hardly is worth pointing to. Why are you all expecting this to be some kind of completely accurate and consistent history documentary?

I don't understand what you need to do to completely ignore all this shit, but good for you. I can't turn my brain off to that degree.

You do it all the time for other movies!

Cyberpunkd

Personally I treat the Peter Jackson movies the same way. As someone who collects Tolkien versions and read the lore, I need to separate them or I’ll just get upset which means I won’t be able to enjoy them.

I agree it’s very difficult to do and don’t take issue with others being disappointed.

Hey, it could be worse. Could be the Wheel of Time series. What a train wreck of a show that is lol.
Or we can just stop trying to find positives in everything as is the common thing nowadays and just conclude the TV series is shit?

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
.Anyhoo, some nitpicks.A. Galadriel can see land an HOUR before humans. I'm gonna go with "she can see the land in the pre-dawn" rather than "Middle-Earth is flat and she can just see FARTHER" (though IIRC in the very early days M-E WAS flat)
At this time Arda (the world Middle-earth is in) IS flat. The world doesn't become round until towards the end of the Second Age, due to the actions of Pharazon and Numenor

Kimahri

Banned
They are stupid, so are action movies usually, thus people don't apply this bizarre level of scrutiny to them or it would not be possible to enjoy them.
That's an asinine comparison. This is not Dungeons & Dragons. Treat it with respect, and treat the consumer with respect. There is nothing strange about the level of scrutiny, it has reached these heights because of all the stupid shit on this show. This doesn't seem to compute with you.
The movies, as great as they were, were noticeably made by a horror director and had plenty of cheese and unbelievable action scenes (surfin' legolas, gimli being thrown into the middle of an orc rabble and surviving, gandalf beating denethor with his staff without anyone intervening, I could go on)

I'm not sure if you were there, but people mocked Legolas way back then. If there's anything that got negative attention it was that. But your power examples here are just eyeroll inducing when compared to the myriad complaints people have with this show.

It's the expectations (which IMHO are unnecessarily elevated) that I'm pointing out here
I expect a show made for reasonably intelligent people that won't make the viewer constantly feel smarter than the creators. I prefer content made by people smarter than me. That is not unnecessarily elevated. Maybe you are fine with trash, I'm not.
This kind of continuity error is so commonplace in action movies it is scarcely worth pointing out, why is it bothersome here?
How is this relevant? I'm pointing out stupid shit, whether or not someone does the same stupid shit elsewhere is irrelevant. I'll dislike it there too. Tolkien was one of the most meticulous world builders in literary history. The least Amazon could do is pay respect to that by trying to be better than some dumb action movie with continuity errors. If you aim for mediocrity, that's what you'll get.
This is also something that is so common in many action/adventure movies that it hardly is worth pointing to. Why are you all expecting this to be some kind of completely accurate and consistent history documentary?
Expecting basic physics to correspond to the world we know is not asking for a documentary. I'm not an idiot, so when a show treats me like one, I don't like it.
You do it all the time for other movies!
No, I do not.

All I'm getting from you is that if shit is present elsewhere I shouldn't complain. This tells me it's not worth engaging with you further. We want different things in life.

QSD

So tell me either what is your expection from a sequel/prequel or if they are lower.

Even better, just tell me what people should expect from a massive franchise as Lord of Rings.
Sequels are usually worse than the originals, there are some noteable exceptions like T2 or Aliens, but on the whole it's pretty clear.

I think my expectations of this series were 'something like the movies' but I expected it not to be as coherent as there isn't as coherent a narrative to this part of Middle Earth history as in LOTR

QSD

That's an asinine comparison. This is not Dungeons & Dragons. Treat it with respect, and treat the consumer with respect. There is nothing strange about the level of scrutiny, it has reached these heights because of all the stupid shit on this show. This doesn't seem to compute with you.

I'm not sure if you were there, but people mocked Legolas way back then. If there's anything that got negative attention it was that. But your power examples here are just eyeroll inducing when compared to the myriad complaints people have with this show.

I expect a show made for reasonably intelligent people that won't make the viewer constantly feel smarter than the creators. I prefer content made by people smarter than me. That is not unnecessarily elevated. Maybe you are fine with trash, I'm not.

How is this relevant? I'm pointing out stupid shit, whether or not someone does the same stupid shit elsewhere is irrelevant. I'll dislike it there too. Tolkien was one of the most meticulous world builders in literary history. The least Amazon could do is pay respect to that by trying to be better than some dumb action movie with continuity errors. If you aim for mediocrity, that's what you'll get.

Expecting basic physics to correspond to the world we know is not asking for a documentary. I'm not an idiot, so when a show treats me like one, I don't like it.

No, I do not.

All I'm getting from you is that if shit is present elsewhere I shouldn't complain. This tells me it's not worth engaging with you further. We want different things in life.
What I'm saying is if you dislike unbelievable stunts, physics and continuity errors you are going to exclude A LOT of movies that are generally considered classics. IMHO it's perfectly possible to forget about that shit and just let yourself be entertained for a while, which is what most people did to enjoy the PJ LOTR movies. But it seems many ITT were already resolved to hate this show and pick at literally anything that they can.

Kimahri

Banned
What I'm saying is if you dislike unbelievable stunts, physics and continuity errors you are going to exclude A LOT of movies that are generally considered classics. IMHO it's perfectly possible to forget about that shit and just let yourself be entertained for a while, which is what most people did to enjoy the PJ LOTR movies. But it seems many ITT were already resolved to hate this show and pick at literally anything that they can.
The story of middle earth isn't an action movie. This isn't The Avengers. If you're gonna compare it to anything, compare it to a historical epic and stop trying to shove the conversation into your extremely narrow viewpoint.

I don't care what the movie is, if in a scene a guy charges from the front, who in the previous scene was behind, I'm gonna be dragged out of it and wonder what the hell is going on. That shit is dumb and an insult to my intelligence no matter where it is. The ONLY time idiocy like that is okay is if it's some silily comedy thing and they break the 4th wall and comment on it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
At this time Arda (the world Middle-earth is in) IS flat. The world doesn't become round until towards the end of the Second Age, due to the actions of Pharazon and Numenor
Well, there you go, right either way.

I wonder if they will show the curving of the world. Was it after the destruction of numenor then?

Kimahri

Banned
Yes, filming about to begin and contract is for 5 seasons!
Have they finished the studio lots? Last I heard there was an indefinite delay until the studios in England were done.

I wonder what the turnover will be here, with how far apart the seasons will be. Are they aiming for one per year, one every two years? I kinda miss the old days when a show started it's new seasons at the same time each year. Now it's all just a big who knows.

Ulysses 31

Have they finished the studio lots? Last I heard there was an indefinite delay until the studios in England were done.

I wonder what the turnover will be here, with how far apart the seasons will be. Are they aiming for one per year, one every two years? I kinda miss the old days when a show started it's new seasons at the same time each year. Now it's all just a big who knows.
Nerdrotic said it would 2 years before next season airs.

TissueBox

So posted this elsewhere, but: I'm actually really, really interested in the idea of seeing a repentant Sauron. Since Halbrand is totally Sauron and all. ;P Could it be that he genuinely wanted to heal Middle-Earth, as Adar put it, and the Rings of Power was his plan to do so? That he wished to atone following the defeat of Morgoth, only for him to end up back on the side of evil following who-knew-what? And that, retroactively, Galadriel was then the one responsible for bringing him back from his slump?

To paraphrase the guy:

'You didn't know what I did'
'I found this on a dead guy'
'Remember me?' - to Adar

The sheer irony of it all would be a pretty meaty slap alright. :LOL:

Or is this character read completely off-base and contradictory to lore?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just got to this scene.

:messenger_neutral:

The books didn't say that Galadriel and Sauron don't hook up though, amirite.

Never mind that she's married to Celeborn and they have a daughter, since we haven't minded it whatsoever up to this point...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Single Mom five minutes ago:

hztwrV5.gif

That six inch wide broadhead arrow that went through her chest was just a flesh wound though! She's already walking around.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just got to this scene.

:messenger_neutral:

The books didn't say that Galadriel and Sauron don't hook up though, amirite.

Never mind that she's married to Celeborn and they have a daughter, since we haven't minded it whatsoever up to this point...

Well, does Tolkein EXPLICITLY say Celebirn ISN'T Sauron?

Mayve it is a Mr. and Mrs Smith thing, at night they are lovey dovey but during the day he goes off to rule Mordor and she leads the forces unknowingly against her hubby.

jason10mm

Gold Member

hztwrV5.gif

That six inch wide broadhead arrow that went through her chest was just a flesh wound though! She's already walking around.
No shit, that arrowhead was half as wide as her face!

I was actually surprised they didn't edit out Arondir snapping off the front of the arrow before pulling it out because they figured "who would notice"?

hztwrV5.gif

TBF, that's what happens in 99% of movies/tv shows etc... but yeah I know the show has a lot of problems, I agree

QSD

The story of middle earth isn't an action movie. This isn't The Avengers. If you're gonna compare it to anything, compare it to a historical epic and stop trying to shove the conversation into your extremely narrow viewpoint.
IMHO the PJ movies are fantasy action movies, they have a fair bit of cheese and fan service and they certainly aren't scrutinized as historical documents .

IMHO it's your viewpoint that is narrow, I don't mind having a either a lighter or a more serious take on this material. I don't mind if Galadriel is dark and angry or kind and motherly, the writers have a certain degree of creative license and they can use it to explore various themes.

If she starts out with a seething hatred of the orcs, and learns to see things differently throughout the show, that could be a cool story. If you are an elf in the LOTR world, and you KNOW for a fact that you are part of the special race of beings that has the favor of the valar and can come to live with them in Valinor where humans and dwarves are exempt, you would probably be supercilious too and perhaps think of other races as disposable. It certainly is not 'character assasination' to write such a redemption arc for her. If she started out perfect she'd be boring and unrelatable.

I don't care what the movie is, if in a scene a guy charges from the front, who in the previous scene was behind, I'm gonna be dragged out of it and wonder what the hell is going on. That shit is dumb and an insult to my intelligence no matter where it is. The ONLY time idiocy like that is okay is if it's some silily comedy thing and they break the 4th wall and comment on it.
I don't know where your intelligence is dear sir, but it is certainly not to be found in this thread! There are so many scenes in the PJ movies that are a lot like this. "Look the Nazgul almost have Arwen! Oh now they are suddenly far away again!"

IMHO the PJ movies are fantasy action movies, they have a fair bit of cheese and fan service and they certainly aren't scrutinized as historical documents .

IMHO it's your viewpoint that is narrow, I don't mind having a either a lighter or a more serious take on this material. I don't mind if Galadriel is dark and angry or kind and motherly, the writers have a certain degree of creative license and they can use it to explore various themes.

If she starts out with a seething hatred of the orcs, and learns to see things differently throughout the show, that could be a cool story. If you are an elf in the LOTR world, and you KNOW for a fact that you are part of the special race of beings that has the favor of the valar and can come to live with them in Valinor where humans and dwarves are exempt, you would probably be supercilious too and perhaps think of other races as disposable. It certainly is not 'character assasination' to write such a redemption arc for her. If she started out perfect she'd be boring and unrelatable.

I don't know where your intelligence is dear sir, but it is certainly not to be found in this thread! There are so many scenes in the PJ movies that are a lot like this. "Look the Nazgul almost have Arwen! Oh now they are suddenly far away again!"

Ah yes, its everyone else whose viewpoint is narrow. You are the one who is clearly correct and has the superior mind and understanding of this series. We should all bow down to your glorious intellect /s

PhaseJump

Banned
Game of Thrones final season was better than this. The Shannara Chronicles was better than this and it had showrunners that knew what they were doing. Wheel of Time has better acting and character development. Disney's Willow trailer completely blows away anything Rings of Power has done so far.

Kimahri

Banned

I'm arguing the show. You're just relentlessly hammering in weird gotcha moments irrelevant to what is actually discussed as if it means something.

Have I, at any point, suggested the PJ movies are perfect? Have I suggested that there are no inconsistencies?

No. I have not. I have said they are excellent, which is a very different thing.

Inconsistencies as to how close a nazgul is is a consequence of them filming horseriders on horses and then needing to edit it to all be seemless and exciting.

Inconsistencies like people on horses being suddenly teleportedin front of the people they were previously behind is a huge script issue.

I'm not gonna sink to your level and insult your intelligence. I am not however, gonna waste more time on someone who's so devoid of valid points that he/she needs to go down the ad hominem route.

Grow up, and learn to build an argument. You're not convincing anyone of anything outside of how terrible all of your examples are.

FunkMiller

I’ll predict Drinker’s next video right here:

How do you get a hundred horses on three boats?

Don’t Know.

How do they know which village to go right to?

Don‘t know.

How did the old guy know to use the sword to activate Mt Doom?

Don’t know.

How does Bronwyn know how to fight so well?

Don’t know.

Why didn’t Galadriel look at the sword hilt?

Don’t know.

Why was Halbrand on that raft in the first place?

Don’t know.

Why is the entire population of the Southlands just this one village?

Don’t know.

Last edited:

QSD

I'm arguing the show. You're just relentlessly hammering in weird gotcha moments irrelevant to what is actually discussed as if it means something.

Have I, at any point, suggested the PJ movies are perfect? Have I suggested that there are no inconsistencies?

No. I have not. I have said they are excellent, which is a very different thing.

I agree the movies are excellent, I'm saying this series is being scrutinized way more closely than those movies ever were.

Inconsistencies as to how close a nazgul is is a consequence of them filming horseriders on horses and then needing to edit it to all be seemless and exciting.

Inconsistencies like people on horses being suddenly teleportedin front of the people they were previously behind is a huge script issue.

Perhaps he knew a shortcut? Perhaps he really is Sauron and he thus has some kind of power which allows him to do that? This could be explained later, or not at all, it isn't that consequential.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I really hope they do. It's a understandably huge moment where the very nature of the world is changed.
If they do, and I agree it would be AWESOME, they gotta A. show mountains receding down out of sight, B. some folks suddenly seeing the sun curve away as they go into dawn/twilight, and C. the moon somehow reflect that the earth is now round instead of a disc or whatever (ok, that might be a conceptual leap too far) but at least show stars racing around.

Just really shove it to the flat-earthers. I hate it when the reptilians encourage that theory because it undermines the importance of a good thetan count :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
Perhaps he knew a shortcut? Perhaps he really is Sauron and he thus has some kind of power which allows him to do that? This could be explained later, or not at all, it isn't that consequential.
See, you might be right if this was a David Lynch joint where strange and inexplicable things were happening all around or were properly forecast. As it is, in the context of this show, it feels like lazy and sloppy editing, which we have AMPLE other examples of. This show is not earning forgiveness for a scene where two characters bolt off into the wilderness yet somehow get headed off by a third character starting from the same place.

PhaseJump

Banned
I agree the movies are excellent, I'm saying this series is being scrutinized way more closely than those movies ever were.

Rightfully scrutinized. It's a 50-hour series pitch for a hardcore fan base, and the results so far offer irredeemable melodramatic trash that is only expected of, and typically seen adapted to contemporary YA power fantasy that most franchise fans wouldn't dare waste their time with.

It's big money chasing the retarded casuals who hooked onto Game of Thrones and started naming their babies Khaleesi and shit like that, being handled by elvish speaking nerd passion. Nobody ever long-term gives a shit about the fickle YA fan-fiction quality that "passionate" fanboys typically forge in the dumpster fires between their ears. Here under what is arguably the most important franchise to the genre, that stupidity and rookie hubris is slapped together with modern day "TV writing" sensibilities.

I enjoy this show every week just because it's pure fucking disaster. Unlike anything I've ever seen happen in television.

Well, yeah, we could see that it would be shit when they hired 2 showrunners with no previous experience and when they decided to make a show that “reflects the world we live in”. Just common sense.

Don‘t know.

Don’t know.
Halbrand told them to go to the watch tower which is right there. And Adar told Waldreg he had a mission for him, while delivering him the sword.

Halbrand told them to go to the watch tower which is right there. And Adar told Waldreg he had a mission for him, while delivering him the sword.
So there is only 1 watchtower in the Southlands? Why would he think that they need to go to that one village? Clearly Halbrand wasn’t from that village or from that region.

My brother in Christ, you just triple posted without using the edit button.

calm-down-a-bit-calm-down.gif
It’s too hard to edit and copy/paste on mobile. And the multi-quote doesn’t work. Not sure what I’m meant to do.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
So there is only 1 watchtower in the Southlands? Why would he think that they need to go to that one village? Clearly Halbrand wasn’t from that village or from that region.
I think once you realize who Halbrand is, you understand he knows more. It's also why he was able to magically jump to the other side of the forest and tackle Adar.

I think once you realize who Halbrand is, you understand he knows more. It's also why he was able to magically jump to the other side of the forest and tackle Adar.
So Sauron teleported but what about his horse?

I would also add that for a show where the showrunners refused Peter Jackson’s help, they sure copy him a lot.

pramod

Banned
I’ll predict Drinker’s next video right here:

How do you get a hundred horses on three boats?

Don’t Know.

Don‘t know.

Don’t know.

How does Bronwyn know how to fight so well?

Don’t know.

Why didn’t Galadriel look at the sword hilt?

Don’t know.

Why was Halbrand on that raft in the first place?

Don’t know.

Why is the entire population of the Southlands just this one village?

Don’t know.
How did Theo know where the sword was hidden?

Dont know.

Why would Arondir hide the thing which must not be found right under the house they are hiding in?

Dont know.

And why would Arondir just give the "sword" afterwards to Theo, who just told him, gee, im somehow drawn to this incredibly evil artifact?

Dont know.

Btw, as for all the crazy plot armor Bronwyn seems to have....i have my own crazy theory why that is.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Man, no matter what they do with Halbrand the logic would be stupid AF.
IMO perfectly feasible that he was always a nobody but due to fan reaction the show runners will make him Sauron starting in season 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom