• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

PhaseJump

Banned
Amazon should just learn from George Lucas on this one.

Release RoP "Special Edition." Remaster the entire thing covered up in rotoscope animation, like the 1978 Lord of the Rings movie.
Give the bald ewoks a whole new set of songs to sing and dance to by the end of the season.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Explain to me what Tolkien says about orcs and sunlight in the second age that contradicts this?

Yes, right after I explain to you where Tolkien wrote that Galadriel didn't act like a preposterous temper-tantrum-throwing spoiled brat teenager dual-wielding swordswoman in the Second Age. There aren't 100 billion words spelling out every last detail of every event and character and racial attribute at every moment in space and time, including the literally infinite list of things that didn't happen. However, there is a great deal of information available, and it's not that difficult to interpret for any given scenario.

Orcs aren't vampires. They weren’t vampires in the First Age, and they weren’t vampires in the Third Age. We don’t need to be told that they also weren’t vampires in the Second Age.

Batiman

Banned
Yes, right after I explain to you where Tolkien wrote that Galadriel didn't act like a preposterous temper-tantrum-throwing spoiled brat teenager dual-wielding swordswoman in the Second Age. There aren't 100 billion words spelling out every last detail of every event and character and racial attribute at every moment in space and time, including the literally infinite list of things that didn't happen. However, there is a great deal of information available, and it's not that difficult to interpret for any given scenario.

Orcs aren't vampires.
Exactly they’re isn’t much detail in everything in the second age and this is what the writers went with. Not liking it is one thing. But saying it isn’t Tolkien is obvious. He is not writing this. Others are and this is their take. The orcs and sunlight doesn’t contradict anything Tolkien wrote. Saying you don’t like it is fine.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
And here's the Galadriel practice fight scene. Surprised Galadriel didn't have them impale each other on the live swords they were all using. With a huge smirk on her face throughout, of course.

Remember when Jon Snow, early on in the story of ASOIAF/GOT, uses his superior training to easily best the other recruits of the Night's Watch in sword practice, and he acts arrogantly about it, shows off, and knocks them all on their asses? But eventually learns that he was being a twat, and that he had the privilege of extensive formal training as bastard nobility at Winterfell, meanwhile many of the others had never held a sword. So he learns to set aside his ego and help teach his comrades genuinely, and gains crucial friends in the process.

Great character arc for a 14 year old teenage boy. Too bad RoP Galadriel never had that arc in the first few thousand years of her life.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Explain to me what Tolkien says about orcs and sunlight in the second age that contradicts this?
I'm pretty sure he never mentions any character pooping but if RoP suddenly says elves, dwarves, or orcs DON'T poop it would seem weird, right?

The sunlight burning is just a odd overreach of the text if you ask me, it seems to be directly contradicted in the third age (which, in this show, is like 10 years away), and only creates problems for the show.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
And here's the Galadriel practice fight scene. Surprised Galadriel didn't have them impale each other on the live swords they were all using. With a huge smirk on her face throughout, of course.

Remember when Jon Snow, early on in the story of ASOIAF/GOT, uses his superior training to easily best the other recruits of the Night's Watch in sword practice, and he acts arrogantly about it, shows off, and knocks them all on their asses? But eventually learns that he was being a twat, and that he had the privilege of extensive formal training as bastard nobility at Winterfell, meanwhile many of the others had never held a sword. So he learns to set aside his ego and help teach his comrades genuinely, and gains crucial friends in the process.

Great character arc for a 14 year old teenage boy. Too bad RoP Galadriel never had that arc in the first few thousand years of her life.

Sorry to flog a dead horse, but It still irks me on how the Númenóreans are portrayed; they're suppose to be the pinnacle of mankind in might, wisdom, skills, nobility etc, but all we get are a bunch of twats indistinguishable from the average joe down the street.

Last edited:
Btw, why is Galadriel doing horse stunts when we’ve seen Arondir turn around and catch a flying arrow before? Looked stupid when she could just have dodged or blocked it with her sword.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sorry to flog a dead horse, but It still irks me on how the Númenóreans are portrayed; they're suppose to be the pinnacle of mankind in might, wisdom, skills etc, but all we get are a bunch of twats indistinguishable from the average joe down the street.
I kinda think any well structured, orderly, militant Utopia is just anathema to writers today (and possibly young audiences). Too many parallels to 30's Germany/Italy perhaps? Writers are too cynical to honestly depict "ubermench" because they can't bear to acknowledge one cultural superiority over another (if you strip out all the biology).

A lot of tolkein ideals are lost on today's artists, which is sad because that whole story is basically a fall from an earlier grace.

So I think they just don't chose to show, or possibly can't even understand, the inherent superiority Numenor should have because they can't help but make it a colonial thing because that's how they see the world.

PhaseJump

Banned
Someone should deepfake a random CGI Zorro mask onto Galadriel during her embarassment inducing swashbucking sword lesson, or horse stunting scenes.

This shit is renewed for 5 seasons, and I don't know if I can survive laughing that long.

Alex11

Orcs aren't vampires. They weren’t vampires in the First Age, and they weren’t vampires in the Third Age. We don’t need to be told that they also weren’t vampires in the Second Age.
Exactly, there are references from various texts from the Second age by Tolkien, and of course the books that says they don't burn in the sun, they hate it, are weakened by it.
Plus there a few huge battles where orcs participate in, in both First and Second age, so they can endure it if is a necessity or made to do it.

This has been known for quite some time, it is canon. At most, is is said that Tolkien let it to the viewer's imagination how much they can't stand the sun, but one thing is sure, they don't burn, otherwise they couldn't fight in all those wars.

Alex11

Yeah, this scene irked me too, especially how Numenoreans came at her, I was like, does she owning them money or something, it was weird.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Halbrand has to be Sauron. Dude has a dark side, the uruk dude said he killed Sauron and the Halbrand wants him dead. Also, Halbrand is a smith….

That would be bullshit if true. In the books, the Númenóreans fielded an army so freaking vast, that Sauron's armies fled the field, and Sauron himself surrendered. He was dragged in chains from Mordor, and imprisoned in Númenór.

I'd rather Mr Mystery Box be the Witch King instead ...

Alex11

That would be bullshit if true. In the books, the Númenóreans fielded an army so freaking vast, that Sauron's armies fled the field, and Sauron himself surrendered. He was dragged in chains from Mordor, and imprisoned in Númenór.

I'd rather Mr Mystery Box be the Witch King instead ...
Are we still gonna get that capturing of Sauron anymore? I think the show kind of follows its own course now.

I would too, I would score some good points the show for me, if they do that and reveal Sauron in Eregion working with Celebrimbor.
Also, wish they had some cojones and reveal him next episode, as to the cliche of the final moments of the last episode.

Cyberpunkd

Also, what was that speech at the beginning to make Orcs seem more grey or complex? WTF? You see an Orc, you kill an Orc.

Why is everything kept so low key? Why did they end up in that exact small village? Why is peasant girl talking to the queen of Numenor? WTF with that intricate trap being activated by the sword?

angry GIF by HULU

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I must have been out of the room when the orc was burning in the sun. I thought the Tolkien estate held those who licensed their property to more rigid standards. I suppose the writers were so unimaginative that they couldn't conceive of any other way to plot out their narrative without the orcs being harmed by the sun.

Can't figure out how to make your story work when the orcs could attack at any time? Have to artificially place the narrative on pause at several moments? Easy! Just make your orcs like vampires when it comes to the sun. Genius. Back claps all around.

Hardensoul

Also, what was that speech at the beginning to make Orcs seem more grey or complex? WTF? You see an Orc, you kill an Orc.

Why is everything kept so low key? Why did they end up in that exact small village? Why is peasant girl talking to the queen of Numenor? WTF with that intricate trap being activated by the sword?

angry GIF by HULU
The Tower was supposedly been up for centuries but somehow it was held up by ropes? And was able to be torn down easily by cutting the rope! There was no setup, it just happens! Let's just give up the this stone Tower that can only be only be enter by this bridge(why not just destroy the bridge) but instead leave for stick/wooden village that can easily be burned down! But the Orcs never used fire arrows! 🤷‍♂️:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I must have been out of the room when the orc was burning in the sun. I thought the Tolkien estate held those who licensed their property to more rigid standards. I suppose the writers were so unimaginative that they couldn't conceive of any other way to plot out their narrative without the orcs being harmed by the sun.

Can't figure out how to make your story work when the orcs could attack at any time? Have to artificially place the narrative on pause at several moments? Easy! Just make your orcs like vampires when it comes to the sun. Genius. Back claps all around.
You can debate what you want about orcs burning in sunlight. But they certainly wouldn't attack during the day. It's why in the book Sauron blocked the sun.

Alex11

You can debate what you want about orcs burning in sunlight. But they certainly wouldn't attack during the day. It's why in the book Sauron blocked the sun.
What about The war of Elves and Sauron? That was in the Second Age, lasted some years, was in different places, not only Mordor, and I'm sure the battles were not only at night.

And yeah the debate is pointless, Orc burning in the sun isn't the same as hating the sun, or not wanting to attack in sunlight.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

The orcs have attacked in daylight plenty of times. Even when they had Sauron's backing.

I realize that throughout the lore it's mentioned that the orcs despise sunlight and that it may even cause them more than mere discomfort, but they still operated in daylight many times. Sauron was just attempting to swing things in his favor when he forced the sun into darkness in The Hobbit and/or Unfinished Tales or whenever it was that he did that. He used a storm cloud once and at another time forced a volcanic explosion right (it has been at least five years since I read the extended material so forgive me)?

Regardless, it's never been demonstrated that the sun can straight up blister them up like this (despite my better judgement I went back and skimmed through the episode to this moment in the show and nothing close to that has ever been written about the orcs to my knowledge).

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
This idea that you can do whatever you want with source material as long as it doesn't explicitly tell you not to really bothers me.

One should follow what is explicitly stated to be facg, and be very careful when it comes to making things up.

Tolkien doesn’t say that a man dressed in a bat armour doesn’t ride around on a dark horse and beats up criminal. His nemesis being an ex-jester from Denethor’s court who went mad and sports a permanent smile. Tolkien didn’t say that those people aren’t in the book. Put this in the show.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I can only imagine thrir intent was to show Anar the sun has more potency in an easier age. Or that orcs, as a species, are evolving and IMPROVING, which is interesting since in general men are devolving throughout this time

I can only imagine thrir intent was to show Anar the sun has more potency in an easier age. Or that orcs, as a species, are evolving and IMPROVING, which is interesting since in general men are devolving throughout this time
I have another guess since we’re all guessing here. They wanted to have the orcs mostly in night time so that they can spend less on makeup and costume as they don’t have to be as detailed.

Kimahri

Banned
I have another guess since we’re all guessing here. They wanted to have the orcs mostly in night time so that they can spend less on makeup and costume as they don’t have to be as detailed.
That makes little sense to me. The orcs are without a doubt the best looking things in this show. In or our of sunlight.

Meanwhile you have Numenorians running around in armor of undetermined material. O have no idea what that's supposed to be, but it does not look like anything strong enough to defend against attackers.

That makes little sense to me. The orcs are without a doubt the best looking things in this show. In or our of sunlight.

Meanwhile you have Numenorians running around in armor of undetermined material. O have no idea what that's supposed to be, but it does not look like anything strong enough to defend against attackers.
The close up 3-4 orcs sure but when you have dozens of orcs running around on the battlefield or at night, no need to spend hours to make them look good. How were the orcs fighting the Numenorians without burning to a crisp?

The armours are made up of papier machée.

Kimahri

Banned
The close up 3-4 orcs sure but when you have dozens of orcs running around on the battlefield or at night, no need to spend hours to make them look good. How were the orcs fighting the Numenorians without burning to a crisp?

The armours are made up of papier machée.

I was thinking badly textured foam, but that seems more accurate.

Alex11

But why is that, I mean they have an enormous budget, and also why did the fight seemed so small? Someone said it well, there were a lot more orcs, even after the tower collapsed, but they just attacked in small waves.

Another thing, am I just nit-picky or the village seemed a bit too small? Or is it book accurate, I must admit I don't know this, what I do recall is the villages in LOTR were a bit bigger.

Kimahri

Banned
I've watched the first season of The Witcher.

Your armor complaints have no power here.

You'd have a point if I ever praised that weird armor stuff.

But why is that, I mean they have an enormous budget, and also why did the fight seemed so small? Someone said it well, there were a lot more orcs, even after the tower collapsed, but they just attacked in small waves.

Another thing, am I just nit-picky or the village seemed a bit too small? Or is it book accurate, I must admit I don't know this, what I do recall is the villages in LOTR were a bit bigger.

Who knows? It makes no sense. This show is so inconsistent with size and, well, everything. The village is just a couple of houses as far as we can see, so yeah, it's very strange. This is just one village though, I'm sure there a more, the show just forgot to tell us and makes it seem it's all this tiny one.

But everything feels tiny. Tiny village, tiny fort, tiny elf home that's basically just a tree. There are some CGI shots that show great big locations, but then when you get to the city level and see actors it always feels so small. It always feels like they're on a tiny set, not like in say House of the Dragon where they walk through the streets at night and it genuinely feels like they're in the middle of a huge sprawling city.

Hardensoul

I've watched the first season of The Witcher.

Your armor complaints have no power here.
Witcher did received a lot of criticism and hey improved the armor in season 2 of Witcher. We can still criticize RoP for the bad looking armor so that they can improve the armor for next season. But RoP is leagues above any show ever budget wise and this is what they've shown. I have no confidence if they can improve. Costume being bad can be forgiven if the writing/story telling and acting are good. They failed in all those except it only looks good! IMO

PhaseJump

Banned
You'd have a point if I ever praised that weird armor stuff.

Witcher's season 1 armor looked stupid, and it was widely known for it.

My point was clear. We have already seen worse than what you're complaining about here, and it's worth mentioning while framing in a Lord of the Rings reference.

BxrN3.gif

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
They would. The battle of the Pelennor Fields starts at dawn.
That's intellectually dishonest of a statement. The siege of Gondor was during Saurons endless night. Pelennor was indeed when dawn broke because the winds blew away Mt. Dooms fumes. And in any case it was mostly a combined mop up job of the Rohirrim and Aragorns army pincering. Only the Haradrim really put up a fight

Kimahri

Banned
Witcher's season 1 armor looked stupid, and it was widely known for it.

My point was clear. We have already seen worse than what you're complaining about here, and it's worth mentioning while framing in a Lord of the Rings reference.

BxrN3.gif
Your comedic timing needs a lot of work.

I amazing and funny how baddly they failed to copy the Rohirrim charge from LotR.
One could assume that at least the action scenes would be watchable ... but NO!!!!
And WTF was that ending?????
Can we hope that that insufferable elf is gone???? What! we can still hope??? right?

Top Bottom