• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making Of... GoldenEye (Zuuunami/EDF 2004)

Kon Tiki

Banned
They say they wanted Goldeneye to be a fix of Doom, Virua Cop, and Mario 64. When they started making the games Mario 64 was not out, the n64 hardware was not even finalized. :/

Edit: Nevermind.

Is the e3 presentation anywhere on the net?

suaveric

That was an interesting read. I had always assumed that the random rooms that had no reason for being there were from objectives that had been cut from the game.

suaveric

I would've liked to hear about the multiplayer side of things. The single player side was great, but I believe the game kept selling because of multiplayer.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
So, in the specific case of GoldenEye, and with the benefit of hindsight, the gameplay model was Virtua Cop with a bit of Doom, plus some Mario 64. The theme or setting was (obviously) the Bond universe and particularly GoldenEye. Many of the visual effects and kinetic moments I took from Hard Boiled or other John Woo flicks. Especially, things exploding. Visually, there's more to that than you might think.

Ugh. Why is it i have a feeling alot of western designers do this shit.

Alf-Life

lol AJ, shat it :) or I'll have to get all Jack Bristow on you and kill you, bring you back to life and then threaten to kill you again (like he did to Gervais) :p

Chittagong

Gold Member
That's a great read. I love it how great products feel like they were designed to be exactly that way, hiding the long trial-and-error process behind them. They feel simple and obvious, yet revolutionary.

Miburou

I actually remember Gamefan mentioning that Goldeneye was like a cross between Virtua Cop and an FPS in their first preview of the game.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ha ha I remember when GoldenEye was an on-track shooting game similar to Virtua Cop. In fact I still have the videos somewhere around here.

Top Bottom