• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Council in ME3 was yet another problem borne out of Bioware's unwillingness to live up to the consequences of player's decisions.

Based on ME2, there should have been 2 possible permutations of the Council: A human council, and the existing council. Yet the whole thing just gets handwaved away, and regardless of whether you saved the Council or not, humanity is still stuck in the same position.
tbh, I know I may be asking for a bit much here but I felt like a lot of the choices you made throughout the trilogy had superficially, very little to matter not only on the ending but on the story throughout. if you kill the rachni queen, there is a clone of sorts there that gives you the same results. if mordin dies in Me2, padok wiks is there to do exactly the same thing with the same end result
I guess mordin was a bit cocky there, as someone else might've gotten it wrong but did not
. so it did not have to be him. if legion was not a part of your story in Me2, there is a geth vi conveniently in its place with more or less the same results in the game. there's more of these but you get the point.

and i'm not trying to say that Me3 just HAD to be much more prorate to the choices made in the previous two installments, it's just that for me it felt that decisions did not mean all that much and especially culminating to/with the ending, felt that they had almost no impact at all.

Ralemont

not me
Intro. Replace the kid with the VS there and it works.

Well, except the kid is real in the intro. The whole "the kid is fake" thing was IT theorycrafting. Or I guess if you mean change it to being only in Shepard's mind, though that sort of changes Shepard's mental state from "high stress nightmares" to "hallucinations and probably fucking batshit."

I also respectfully disagree and think tying it to a specific incident the player experienced makes it more meaningful than some stupid kid who means nothing.

I'd honestly be curious how many players felt pulled out of the narrative due to the kid vs those who felt more connected.

Hard to say now that everyone hates the kid because of the ending, anyway, lol. But respectfully agree to disagree, sure.

The Council in ME3 was yet another problem borne out of Bioware's unwillingness to live up to the consequences of player's decisions.

I'm sure they were willing but simply unable. Mac has talked about having to close some variations because they just didn't have the time and budget to account for them all. This is also why I feel ME Next should be standalone: let's just get a great game without worrying about all this decade-long C&C timeline crap.

Ralemont

not me
Is there anyone who thought the kid plot was well done? I thought it was cheesy and cringeworthy.

My opinion is that there are many ways in a game with dialogue choices to better represent Shepard's mental state than dreams with no interaction, though I don't find much problem with the kid in particular being used.

I also did not understand what they were trying to get at with legion. In Me2, he leaves it completely up to you/shepard on the decision making process, sticks with you whether or not you choose to save the geth, and then in Me3 shows hostility and violence when you make a decision again only against the geth. that felt to me like him being out of character, or at least that part of his character written to act differently than originally thought and dealt.

Ralemont

not me
I also did not understand what they were trying to get at with legion. In Me2, he leaves it completely up to you/shepard on the decision making process, sticks with you whether or not you choose to save the geth, and then in Me3 shows hostility and violence when you make a decision again only against the geth. that felt to me like him being out of character, or at least that part of his character written to act differently than originally thought and dealt.

In ME2 you were making a decision about the heretics, not the "true geth." In ME3 you were making a decision to wipe out "true geth" which is Legion.

Legion was cool with you doing whatever to the Heretics in ME2 because they were 1) a faction that made up a small portion of the overall Geth population and 2) enemies to the Geth as well.

In ME3 going against the Geth means killing every single one of them, so it's natural he'd respond that way, Reaper code or no.

In ME2 you were making a decision about the heretics, not the "true geth." In ME3 you were making a decision to wipe out "true geth" which is Legion.

Legion was cool with you doing whatever to the Heretics in ME2 because they were 1) a faction that made up a small portion of the overall Geth population and 2) enemies to the Geth as well.

In ME3 going against the Geth means killing every single one of them, so it's natural he'd respond that way, Reaper code or no.
ah, alright. and I may not have caught this during my gameplays, but did they ever discuss the anomaly that legion himself is? a geth "platform" that speaks as an individual with its artificial intelligence. i'm guessing it's got something to do with him being linked to the reapers, as mentioned in some part in Me3, but it's a bit hazy for me. they probably did talk about it but it feels deemphasized.

ah, alright. and I may not have caught this during my gameplays, but did they ever discuss the anomaly that legion himself is? a geth "platform" that speaks as an individual with its artificial intelligence. i'm guessing it's got something to do with him being linked to the reapers, as mentioned in some part in Me3, but it's a bit hazy for me. they probably did talk about it but it feels deemphasized.

The Reaper code in ME3 made Legion (and all Geth, if you don't kill them) an individual, yeah.

The Reaper code in ME3 made Legion (and all Geth, if you don't kill them) an individual, yeah.
okay, but was the reaper code already on legion in Me2? because he is this way since his introduction to the series.

and if that's the case... how did legion, the single geth platform, become that way?

okay, but was the reaper code already on legion in Me2? because he is this way since his introduction to the series.

and if that's the case... how did legion, the single geth platform, become that way?
Legion(the platform) is special in that it was designed to hold enough Geth programs to retain sentience, even when not networked with the rest of the Geth, but it still refers to itself as a collective.

The only aspect of individuality to it in ME2 was the shoehorned obsession with Shepard.

Legion(the platform) is special in that it was designed to hold enough Geth programs to retain sentience, even when not networked with the rest of the Geth, but it still refers to itself as a collective.

The only aspect of individuality to it in ME2 was the shoehorned obsession with Shepard.
ah, okay. thanks. legion was one of the most intriguing things I found about Me2, so just because I want to know more... who designed legion? since he's no ordinary geth platform i'm guessing there must've been a quarian there to have sentience in mind for a platform when designing him.

the obsession with shepard didn't bother me, but I think I know what you mean about it being shoehorned - him showing emotions or care about stuff that AI wouldn't/shouldn't have. i'm pretty sure miranda and jacob talk about that when you bring him on board unconscious.

Renekton

Is there anyone who thought the kid plot was well done? I thought it was cheesy and cringeworthy.
It's similar to other Sci-fi stories (e.g. Contact) where the abstract-ish Alien presence takes the form of existing relatable character within protagonist's memory (Shepard saw a real kid die during prologue).

I'm not sure what to think of it. Conventional wisdom is that audience prefers a human face and voice for the exposition.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ah, okay. thanks. legion was one of the most intriguing things I found about Me2, so just because I want to know more... who designed legion? since he's no ordinary geth platform i'm guessing there must've been a quarian there to have sentience in mind for a platform when designing him.

the obsession with shepard didn't bother me, but I think I know what you mean about it being shoehorned - him showing emotions or care about stuff that AI wouldn't/shouldn't have. i'm pretty sure miranda and jacob talk about that when you bring him on board unconscious.

You should replay ME2 and talk to Legion on the Normandy. I think he answers all of that. And no, Quarians did not make Legion.

Guys, in two weeks we will get a peak at Star Wars: Battlefront 3 which is:

- sci-fi
- runs on Frostbite 3 (same engine as ME4)

That means we will have some idea how sci-fi scenery looks in that engine. We can extrapolate from that to imagine Mass Effect 4 interiors and planets surfaces!

Excited!

SliChillax

No one, just saying it's the best time frame for the game to be set since it doesn't actually have to deal with ME3 ending variations.

I'd rather see what happens after ME3. We already have plenty of info about what happened in between the trilogy with comics and books.

dr_rus

Guys, in two weeks we will get a peak at Star Wars: Battlefront 3 which is:

- sci-fi
- runs on Frostbite 3 (same engine as ME4)

That means we will have some idea how sci-fi scenery looks in that engine. We can extrapolate from that to imagine Mass Effect 4 interiors and planets surfaces!

Excited!

We can do that right now from any game running on FB3.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'd rather see what happens after ME3. We already have plenty of info about what happened in between the trilogy with comics and books.

Yeah, this.

Moving forward, please. Plenty more can be done ahead of 3 than before it, and certainly more than can be done between previous installments, which are already quite fleshed-out.

We can do that right now from any game running on FB3.
Not really...every Frostbite game up to this point has been made with 7th generation hardware in mind, so things like textures, geometry, physics, etc haven't shown what Frostbite's really capable of yet.

Battlefront is the first genuine 8th gen only FB game.

Well, except the kid is real in the intro. The whole "the kid is fake" thing was IT theorycrafting. Or I guess if you mean change it to being only in Shepard's mind, though that sort of changes Shepard's mental state from "high stress nightmares" to "hallucinations and probably fucking batshit.".
The only thing I'll give to that theory is that is really weird that only Shepard seems to see the kid. The kid doesn't have any interaction with other human and in the end we see him as the catalyst. I can see why people could think he is an hallucination or some form of indocrination.

Patryn

You say Legion speaks an individual, but that's not accurate. He doesn't use singular pronouns, for one thing.

And when you talk about his platform, it's just the body.

Legion is the collective Geth programs that have been loaded onto that platform. Remember the whole thing with the Geth is that they get smarter the more of them there is.

They just shoved enough Geth on a platform that the platform could fully operate independently. That doesn't take rocket science, and it's not "special".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ME3 turned the geth into a pinnochio story anyway so whatever. Legion in ME2 I think it makes it clear you perceive him as a single entity because that's what you're used to as an organic, but in reality he is thousands of "geth" operating on a platform and his words and actions are the ongoing consensus of those geth.

Then in ME3 he became a real boy because fuck you.

Patryn

ME3 turned the geth into a pinnochio story anyway so whatever. Legion in ME2 I think it makes it clear you perceive him as a single entity because that's what you're used to as an organic, but in reality he is thousands of "geth" operating on a platform and his words and actions are the ongoing consensus of those geth.

Then in ME3 he became a real boy because fuck you.

Fits with the lazy storytelling in most of ME3.

I have a non-Earthborn Shepard who is watching the entire galaxy burn. Why exactly do I care only about Earth again? The Shepard I played would care just as much about the Turian, Asari and Salarian homeworlds as Earth.

Replaying ME3 has made me realize that the game keeps saying things are SO MUCH WORSE on Earth, yet when you do the Turian missions, they basically appear to be just as fucked as Earth.

So why do the Turians just need the Krogan, while Earth apparently needs everyone?

This could just be my bias speaking. I never agreed with the whole "Earth above all!" idea when they unveiled before the game came out.

Still can't believe the pre-release interviews where they talk about having the kid in the game because they did not believe that players would be able to sympathize with aliens because they're aliens.

Gah. Sorry about all the ME3 negativity, but this replay is reminding me of all the warts in the game.

Still like the game, though. Guess my feelings on this series are complicated.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Geth becoming real boys doesn't even make sense. Like, they're still geth, a multitude of software working in a hivemind-like unison. They're still not bound to one particular platform or server (given "geth" can upload into the quarian suits to help them readjust to Rannoch). But...they have individuality now? Where? How is this defined? Where is the line blurred at the point where X number of Geth equal one individual geth. Or what?

My head. BioWare why.

Patryn

Geth becoming real boys doesn't even make sense. Like, they're still geth, a multitude of software working in a hivemind-like unison. They're still not bound to one particular platform or server (given "geth" can upload into the quarian suits to help them readjust to Rannoch). But...they have individuality now? Where? How is this defined? Where is the line blurred at the point where X number of Geth equal one individual geth. Or what?

My head. BioWare why.

Why? Because obviously machines want to be just like us. The people who made the decisions behind Mass Effect 3 clearly went into it with a mindset that everything must be related back to humanity and Earth, and everyone must want to become like us. That entire game is about putting humanity up on a pedestal.

There was a moment there is which Bioware was willing to accept other methods of thought and desires, like Picard in All Good Things.

However, they eventually came crashing back down, either because they were extremely short-sighted, or they had no faith in their audience. It's kind of sad.

nel e nel

About the armour, I hope BioWare goes back to more colourful ones. I can understand the "protection" part you were discussing before, but there was a huge lack o colour variety in 2 and 3.

???

maxresdefault.jpg

If anything, you had way more color and texture options in 2 and 3, on top of the modularity, you could make some crazy ass armor.

3867.jpg

Not to mention the variety of off-duty outfits you could choose from.

nel e nel

You should replay ME2 and talk to Legion on the Normandy. I think he answers all of that. And no, Quarians did not make Legion.

It's implied that he was one of the first platforms (if not THE platform that is the first to ask questions about self-awareness) in the Morning War during the hacking sequence in ME3.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's implied that he was one of the first platforms (if not THE platform that is the first to ask questions about self-awareness) in the Morning War during the hacking sequence in ME3.

Eh.. i'm pretty sure the Geths you see in the hacking mission aren't Legion. Just random Geths asking questions.

Gambit

so I just bought the Trilogy on PSN for 15€. It seems a great price, but now surely a remaster is just around the corner.

Anyway, I am planning on doing a non-completionist playthrough where I don't look up any choices or optional paths.

And of course FemShep is a lock

It's similar to other Sci-fi stories (e.g. Contact) where the abstract-ish Alien presence takes the form of existing relatable character within protagonist's memory (Shepard saw a real kid die during prologue).

I'm not sure what to think of it. Conventional wisdom is that audience prefers a human face and voice for the exposition.

I wish they would have done with the Catalyst what they did with Leviathan. When Shepard is speaking to Leviathan, various forms from his past are taken. If the Catalyst would have switched between the dead kid, the VS, Saren, Jenkins, Anderson, other people that died along the way, that could have been really cool.

Unless you just hate the idea of the Catalyst reading Shep's mind, but it's all Reaper tech, which was based on Leviathan's powers anyway, so it does make sense.

Ralemont

not me
Eh.. i'm pretty sure the Geths you see in the hacking mission aren't Legion. Just random Geths asking questions.

Yeah. Legion's platform was one specially built for the mission to find Shepard, and until ME3 specific platforms are irrelevant anyway.

EatChildren

Legion is coy when Shepard quizzes it on using the same widowmaker sniper rifle as the Geth in the archive, which I think is at the very least there to humour (if without resolution) the possibility Legion is a very old, original platform.

And yeah, I don't mind the catalyst manifesting as Shepard's memories, it's just that the child was a bad choice in a series based around forging bonds with more meaningful identities. The data was there, and yes it should have been like the Leviathan encounter.

Ralemont

not me
Legion is coy when Shepard quizzes it on using the same widowmaker sniper rifle as the Geth in the archive, which I think is at the very least there to humour (if without resolution) the possibility Legion is a very old, original platform.

We know that can't be the case, though:

Legion is a unique geth mobile platform, designed to operate outside the Perseus Veil and interact with organics. To that purpose, it houses 1,183 geth programs, as opposed to the roughly one hundred found in other platforms, enabling it to operate independently and speak. In order to facilitate communication with organics, Legion possesses several panels on its "head" that move to simulate facial expressions. These flaps serve the same purpose as eyebrows in organics, raising to imply surprise or interest and folding forward (much like the furrowing of the brow) to show concentration.

It was created and dispatched following Commander Shepard's destruction of the Old Machine "Nazara", known to the rest of the galaxy as Sovereign, investigating several of the worlds Shepard visited — Eden Prime, Therum, Feros, Noveria, Virmire, Ilos, and a dozen uncharted worlds.

I just interpret it as a case of the geth showing something bordering attachment or nostalgic preference.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fits with the lazy storytelling in most of ME3.

I have a non-Earthborn Shepard who is watching the entire galaxy burn. Why exactly do I care only about Earth again? The Shepard I played would care just as much about the Turian, Asari and Salarian homeworlds as Earth.

Replaying ME3 has made me realize that the game keeps saying things are SO MUCH WORSE on Earth, yet when you do the Turian missions, they basically appear to be just as fucked as Earth.

So why do the Turians just need the Krogan, while Earth apparently needs everyone?

This could just be my bias speaking. I never agreed with the whole "Earth above all!" idea when they unveiled before the game came out.

Still can't believe the pre-release interviews where they talk about having the kid in the game because they did not believe that players would be able to sympathize with aliens because they're aliens.

Gah. Sorry about all the ME3 negativity, but this replay is reminding me of all the warts in the game.

Still like the game, though. Guess my feelings on this series are complicated.

Bioware (or maybe its actually just marketing) seems to really resist the obvious fact that people can and do sympathsize with aliens (especially when many of them are extremely humanlike). That people like the alien characters so much more than any of the boring human ones or that people might want to play as them seems to have been a really hard pill to swallow for some reason. I mean they tried to add a human bro character in every game, yet all of them are boring to a fault and Garrus is the one people gravitated towards.

Maledict

At some point, very early on, in ME3s design they made some fundamental errors. Assuming the player would care more about earth than anywhere else was one of them.

I presume they did this because EA had told them to make ME3 accessible for first time players, and earth is a natural destination for new players to care about in the series. the problem was, *even* assuming that was the case they handled Earth so badly in game even new players wouldn't give a toss. The tutorial section and then a badly designed end mission doesn't leave you caring much about some place, whereas the Citedal and the other races homeworlds were much more impactful (show rather than tell is the lesson here I think).

EatChildren

The only concern I have here is that I don't trust BioWare with their own canon.

Bioware (or maybe its actually just marketing) seems to really resist the obvious fact that people can and do sympathsize with aliens (especially when many of them are extremely humanlike). That people like the alien characters so much more than any of the boring human ones or that people might want to play as them seems to have been a really hard pill to swallow for some reason. I mean they tried to add a human bro character in every game, yet all of them are boring to a fault and Garrus is the one people gravitated towards.

As much as I love the game, Mass Effect 3 personifies a lot of BioWare's mishandling of the series identity and what fans loved. It obsessively tries to humanify everything, fixate on humanity, and overburden you with human characters (though ME2 is worse for this). This is combined with the fixation on Earth as an important focal point, when you've got a grand, mysterious galaxy at your back.

It's like making a science fiction game where you have an entire galaxy of places and creatures to meet limited only by imagination, and there's an assumption fans will favour humans and Earth. Contradictory.

The tutorial section and then a badly designed end mission doesn't leave you caring much about some place, whereas the Citedal and the other races homeworlds were much more impactful (show rather than tell is the lesson here I think).

Exactly. And even though I'm long tired of the Citadel, this response was known through fans vocally asking what happened to X and Y on the Citadel when it was moved to Earth. "Did such and such survive? Did they escape?". Nobody was asking these questions regarding Earth because nobody had forged a bond. It was an empty lifeless rock outside of Anderson.

Patryn

I'm kind of hoping that the emphasis on exploration and a new galaxy in ME4 is a reaction to the fact that their clear desire to make Earth the center of everything in ME3 was a failure and the fans didn't really care.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The platforms dont matter, its the programs that matter. And it specifically stated Legion was a special recon platform made later with extra program capacity. I mean its possible some of the programs that make up Legion were also from the historical platform but the game never says and its not really important.

Daemul

OK, I've followed the discussions about the Geth throughout many forums for a while now and I think it's time I brought forward some information on it. The truth is, the writing on the Geth has been inconsistent throughtout the entire series, from ME1 all the way through to ME3.

In ME1 Tali said outright that the Geth were NOT a collective conciousness, and that each Geth maintained an individual awareness and identity.

Shepard asking smart questions

Then ME2 comes around and Legion comes out with his spiel about how Geth are essentially a hive mind, and that they didn't have individual awareness but instead have many Geth programs in one platform.

Then ofcourse comes ME3, where Legion and the Geth want to be individuals again, something which they already were in ME1, and at this point I begin to feel my brain functions shutting down at the ridiculousness of it all.

This is my theory on what caused all the inconsistency in this writing. Chris, as the writer of Legion in ME2, obviously had his own vision of how he wanted the Synthetics in the ME universe to be protrayed, but the problem is that this conflicted with what the writer of Tali in ME1 originally wanted, so once Chris left, the writing team basically reverted the Geth back to what they were in ME1, but ofcourse this caused a plot hole to appear and made Legion look like a fool.

This isn't even the only time something like this has happened in the ME games. You see, the Krogan, we are told by the likes of EDI and Mordin that the Krogan lay eggs, something which is collaborated by the Krogan Scientist Okeer, and that pre-genophage, the Krogan produced 1000 eggs per year.

Now here's where the bullshit starts, in ME3 you have Eve talking about holding her stillborn, singular. Shouldn't she have been holding a massive wad of stillborns?

Then you have Wrex mentioning his "unborn son" when he confronts you on the Citadel if you sabotage the cure. Again, singular.

And finally you have the epilogue showing post-genophage Krogans with their single child.

It seems whenever Bioware wants you to feel for the Krogan they turn them into Humans, producing a single offspring per year. But the rest of the time Krogans are a blight that produce up to 1000 offspring per year. A number so outrageous that curing the genophage should be out of the question.

inky

The tutorial section and then a badly designed end mission doesn't leave you caring much about some place, whereas the Citedal and the other races homeworlds were much more impactful (show rather than tell is the lesson here I think).

Ugh, don't remind me. That opening section is up there as some of the worst things Bioware has ever produced. It's even worse because, presumably, it was partly done in benefit of the new audience coming into this as their first ME game. Something they kept talking about, but it's as obtuse and unwelcoming as far as game introductions as it can be.

The "trial", which should've been the centerpiece of the thing was a completely misfire. It was the perfect opportunity to revisit your decisions from the previous games in-fiction and reshape your character and choices if needed. Instead, it is cut short because if you don't go directly into the action then that "new audience" will get bored and go back to Call of Duty or whatever.

Then the exposition is nonsense and terribly written:

Andy: "We've detected something coming to Earth, it's already past the moon or something"
Shep: *completely baffled at what it could be* "The Reapers?!"
Andy: "We don't know"

Of course 5 seconds later Reapers are on the ground, Anderson runs funny, *here's how you shoot*, here's a little kid that is supposed to personify all of humanity and what is at stake, oh no he died!, *anger* *regret* TITLE SCREEN.

Ugh.

In ME1 Tali said outright that the Geth were NOT a collective conciousness, and that each Geth maintained an individual awareness and identity.

In Mass Effect 1 the codex also said that each individual Geth was more like an animal by itself, at least in terms of reasoning and tactics, but as more and more were in close proximity they were able to perform more advanced analysis and fight accordingly.

Patryn

Ugh, don't remind me. That opening section is up there as some of the worst things Bioware has ever produced. It's even worse because, presumably, it was partly done in benefit of the new audience coming into this as their first ME game. Something they kept talking about, but it's as obtuse and unwelcoming as far as game introductions as it can be.

The "trial", which should've been the centerpiece of the thing was a completely misfire. It was the perfect opportunity to revisit your decisions from the previous games in-fiction and reshape your character and choices if needed. Instead, it is cut short because if you don't go directly into the action then that "new audience" will get bored and go back to Call of Duty or whatever.

The problem is that there wasn't a "trial". Instead, it's now consulting with some guiding body.

Of course, they couldn't be bothered to change the assets to not say COURTROOM as you're walking in.

Which, as you say, is a shame, because a trial would have been the perfect time to ease a new player into the game as it goes over the history of the series. I have to imagine it was EA that forced Bioware to push this whole idea that Mass Effect 3 was the perfect time for a new player to join the series, but then again given all the bad decisions Bioware made I can totally see them behind that push.

so I just bought the Trilogy on PSN for 15€. It seems a great price, but now surely a remaster is just around the corner.

Anyway, I am planning on doing a non-completionist playthrough where I don't look up any choices or optional paths.

And of course FemShep is a lock
what?! they won't let you play as femshep? that's nuts.
I'm kind of hoping that the emphasis on exploration and a new galaxy in ME4 is a reaction to the fact that their clear desire to make Earth the center of everything in ME3 was a failure and the fans didn't really care.
meh, I dunno. I didn't mind the 'take earth back' stuff but in practice it didn't make much sense because I didn't feel the weight of saving earth like they were trying to get you to. also, when you say 'new galaxy' do you mean rediscovering the milky way or an actual new galaxy?
Grrrr.

Why hasn't a "remaster" trilogy been announced yet?

Why won't Bioware let me waste another 1000 hours of my life?
I'm hoping they announce it quietly at e3. I say quietly because they should obviously be focusing mostly on Me4, and mention on the side that there's a remaster coming for current gen to get you caught up & hyp't up for the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom