• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought everyone put ME1 as the best?

I couldn't choose between any of them, though.
I got to play Me1 only once since it took forever to come out on Ps3, but I loved the hell outta Me2 played it like 20 times and I hated Me3.

I thought Me1 was great, if I got to play through it more times perhaps I would've put it atop Me2.

inky

Which is why ME2 is far worse than ME3 imo....story made no sense at all.

But for some reason its hailed as the best?

It's pretty simplistic to just say best/worst, but I suspect people just prefer the more personal touch. The larger story connected 1 and 3 but it wasn't the driving point, and structurally it was superior because the way you collect a group of people, gain their loyalty, and put every piece to use during the end mission is straightforward and pays it off with gameplay elements, not just story.

As bad as the story points, details and even mission themes were (hey look, another squadmate with daddy issues, what a surprise!), they connect pretty well as a game.

Only smart people say it's the best :p

Patryn

Not in the least.

Generally, the largest majority of people tend to prefer ME2. The next largest prefers ME1, and the smallest prefers ME3.

It's just that the ME1 crowd is very vocal.

I should note for the record, I prefer ME1.

Not in the least.

Generally, the largest majority of people tend to prefer ME2. The next largest prefers ME1, and the smallest prefers ME3.

Not only this, but Me2 is considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. But it seems as though, Me1 is considered overall the better game as an rpg?

Ghazi

Not in the least.

I really enjoyed the ME3 combat, but everything else ME1 did better.

Patryn

Not only this, but Me2 is considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. But it seems as though, Me1 is considered overall the better game as an rpg?

There is no benefit in attempting to understand why a group prefers one game over another.

Secondly, you can't just assume that everyone consider ME2 one of the greatest games of all time.

Finally, the whole RPG debate is a fruitless endeavor.

It's a tough decision. ME1 has the better plot but the worst gameplay. ME2 doesnt have a good story (siding with Cerberus was non sense) but the loyal quests were amazing and the best characters of the series were introduced. ME3 has the best gameplay, Rannoch and Tuchanka arcs compensate the ending for me. If I could use the whole crew from ME2 on the Normandy in ME3 it would be the best game for me.

But that's just my opinion.

Which is why ME2 is far worse than ME3 imo....story made no sense at all.

But for some reason its hailed as the best?

The main questline is very silly by the time you get to the conclusion, but it is still exciting and the missions themselves are fairly good.

What makes ME2 so good despite its flaws is that it has a large cast of characters, some of which are absolutely fantastic. And the side missions are very high quality in comparison to the rest of the series (optional recruitment/loyalty stuff).

DOWN

Banned
Fact is, ME1 was an exclusive at launch so it had a much smaller audience for a while compared to 2 and 3. Thus, the big influx of new players was with ME2 and many of them skipped part 1. They fell in love with the less moody, more shooter ME under EA promotion and could never look at ME 1 with fresh eyes thanks to its dated tech and very different goals. ME2 was a burly, smoother run.

Those who played ME 1 before ME2 existed prefer ME1 at much higher rate in my observations.

I think they're all good, but ME1 was a master at atmosphere and ME2 only gets there a handful of times.

Zolo

Despite singling out Mass Effect 2 for being a large part of the problems with the trilogy, I'd also still say it's my favorite out of the trilogy. As a stand alone game, it's fantastic, and I honestly enjoyed the suicide mission where things I had chose came into play and who I chose to do what tasks during it. It's biggest flaws are when you take into account what it actually does as part of the trilogy.

ME1 does have a lot of ideas I really enjoyed though that ended up being scrapped rather than improved.

There is no benefit in attempting to understand why a group prefers one game over another.

Secondly, you can't just assume that everyone consider ME2 one of the greatest games of all time.

Finally, the whole RPG debate is a fruitless endeavor.
well, that's not just my assumption. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best

of course not everyone considers it, especially if not everyone can agree that it is the best game of the series. then again, you can never get everyone to ever agree one any one thing.

Vengal

I think ME1 is the better game for what they had to work with. The core team was together making a new ip with rpg mechanics and shooting. It was rough, ambitious and messy but the sum of the parts just worked.

ME2 was a much more tailored experience with better shooting and more interesting characters but the way sheppard is killed and how Cerberus was shoehorned in as being a major player was just strange considering their role in ME1. The game felt unfocused for how much of a linear experience it was but the sucide mission was great. Felt like a lot was cut due to time or other constraints.

ME3 was so very video gamey in its choice of enemies. The narrative was really weak but there was some great conclusions to character arcs. Enjoyed multiplayer though.

We never really got a sequel to ME1 but I think ME3 is a competant sequel to ME2 that improved in a number of places just not it's over arching story.

I think ME1 is the better game for what they had to work with. The core team was together making a new ip with rpg mechanics and shooting. It was rough, ambitious and messy but the sum of the parts just worked.

ME2 was a much more tailored experience with better shooting and more interesting characters but the way sheppard is killed and how Cerberus was shoehorned in as being a major player was just strange considering their role in ME1. The game felt unfocused for how much of a linear experience it was but the sucide mission was great. Felt like a lot was cut due to time or other constraints.

ME3 was so very video gamey in its choice of enemies. The narrative was really weak but there was some great conclusions to character arcs. Enjoyed multiplayer though.

We never really got a sequel to ME1 but I think ME3 is a competant sequel to ME2 that improved in a number of places just not it's over arching story.
interesting. I do remember back when Me2 was still a new game that some people viewed it as a filler installment to the series.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Lol, hell no, ain't nobody want that shitty and shallow game design. Bioware did well in avoiding that trap and actually made sure that players had to choose an ending or lose the game. People clamoured online for ages that they wanted hard choices in the trilogy with no easy way out, and Bioware gladly obliged.

Nope, wrong, it was one of the biggest themes of the series and it was the entire basis of the Quarian vs Geth arc.

The entire Dark Energy plot rested on the basis of humanity being super special and the Reapers and Co unironically looking to solve a problem which they were helping to perpetuate. It was amazingly dumb. But don't just take my word for it, read what Chris has to say about it,

This right here.

Eh, yeah, no.
Not sure if serious. But this made me laugh.

Toa TAK

Banned
Suicide Mission is a game finale done right. All from the moment you go into the Omega 4 Relay to the end. It's so satisfying to make it though with everyone in your crew back in one piece, squadmates, Kelly and all. It's some incredibly heroic shit.

Suicide Mission is a game finale done right. All from the moment you go into the Omega 4 Relay to the end. It's so satisfying to make it though with everyone in your crew back in one piece, squadmates, Kelly and all. It's some incredibly heroic shit.
I remember completing my very first playthrough of the game, and I heard about how some of the squadmates could die if you didn't play all your cards right. Before starting the mission I read up on exactly what to do to keep everyone alive.

except in my end result I still lost all of my crew minus minus chackwas because I didn't go there sooner =(

DirtyCase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9pgIVcB3rk

Found this album, it really reminds me of the ME1 soundtrack which IMO is the best of the three. Let me know what you guys think

Dat atmosphere in ME1 though. The art direction as a whole, it seemed like a plausible future where we spread out to the stars and the aesthetics were based on practical reasons. I found ME2 and 3 were bad offenders for coming off as SpaceDudebros with flashy armor. I also liked the design of the HUBs, armor and buildings in 1 due to them being more toned down (in a good way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9pgIVcB3rk

Found this album, it really reminds me of the ME1 soundtrack which IMO is the best of the three. Let me know what you guys think

Dat atmosphere in ME1 though. The art direction as a whole, it seemed like a plausible future where we spread out to the stars and the aesthetics were based on practical reasons. I found ME2 and 3 were bad offenders for coming off as SpaceDudebros with flashy armor. I also liked the design of the HUBs, armor and buildings in 1 due to them being more toned down (in a good way).
music feels quite relaxing. I certainly liked the level up sound effect from Me1 than in its successors.

what do you mean about the spacedudebro thing in Me2/3 though? you said flashy armor so was it just the visuals or what?

man, I really wish I had more exposure to Me1. please.... let that remaster be real.

DirtyCase

music feels quite relaxing. I certainly liked the level up sound effect from Me1 than in its successors.

what do you mean about the spacedudebro thing in Me2/3 though? you said flashy armor so was it just the visuals or what?

Yeah I was mainly talking about the armor visually, I preferred the look of them in ME1 more because each company armor had a distinct but somewhat plausible look to it.

For example
Light-human-Assassin.png

Versus Mass Effect 3

ME3_armax_arsenal_set.png

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the combat in Me2 but the level design felt very rigid in order to work with the third person shooting, and not very organic at all. Like there was waist high walls everywhere.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This thread feels pretty active lately. I can feel the thirst for any kind of news growing as days go by.

Still 2½ months to wait guys, don't give up.

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't even know why I suddenly have Mass Effect on the brain, or why I posting here. I can't hold out for the wait anymore. :(

Played Leviathan DLC, and it's a lot better than I remember.

Banned
I'd be fine with ME4 coming Q3 or Q4 2016 of BioWare and EA fill in the gap with a remastered trilogy with all single player dlc. Last I heard they were planning on it but I don't know if it's in development or not.

Fruitster

I've been lurking this thread for ages in the hope of some news, any news. Playing ME2 again has really hit home how much I loved those games, faults and all. ME4 news can't come soon enough, but right now I'd be more than happy just to know for sure if the original trilogy is getting a remaster. I really want to play the ME3 multiplayer again recently.

Ralemont

not me
Again, the best ending would still have been "The Reapers are unknowable evil. You'll never understand them. Now go blow the shit out of them!"

So the Vigil explanation, then? You might be right, but I think that went out the door in ME2 when they started going into the "how" of the Reapers. Once you start really digging away at that mystery, the "why" is inevitably going to come up.

Yeah I was mainly talking about the armor visually, I preferred the look of them in ME1 more because each company armor had a distinct but somewhat plausible look to it.

For example
Light-human-Assassin.png

Versus Mass Effect 3

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the combat in Me2 but the level design felt very rigid in order to work with the third person shooting, and not very organic at all. Like there was waist high walls everywhere.
yeah, I see what you're saying and I agree.

as for the combat though, I'm not sure but I think most people would say it showed the most improvement in Me3 but I'm of the opinion that Me2 had the best combat in the series.
I don't know if it's been definitively debunked, but the cover IS a very poorly done photoshop job, for what that's worth.
I hope to god it is not fake. the cover is a shop job but it's just a placeholder cover before the real one is revealed. if, it is real..

Daemul

For example
Light-human-Assassin.png

Versus Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect 1 armour sucked, it was way too skintight and it was all exactly the same with just colour palette swaps used to differentiate them. BIoware improved on the armour massively in the next two games by adding more customisation the armour, and most importantly allowing us to customise individual pieces of armour, which was a God send.

The armour may look "spacedudebro"(what the fuck does that even mean?), but it looks far more plausible and far better designed than the skintight garbage we had to ME1. Thankfully, ME4 seems to be continuing the trend.

mass_effect_4_e3_video_screen_1_70185.jpg

THIS, is space armour. I'm looking forward to customising the hell out of this shit in ME4.

Ralemont

not me
THIS, is space armour. I'm looking forward to customising the hell out of this shit in ME4.

Agreed. Aside from the silly things like breather masks and catsuits in space, the actual armor started looking a hell of a lot better as the series went on. Being able to customize it was the icing on the cake. I enjoyed giving my Paragon white armor with faint black camo and my Renegade dark red armor, because like BioWare I enjoy being hokey and unsubtle.

Patryn

Mass Effect 1 armour sucked, it was way too skintight and it was all exactly the same with just colour palette swaps used to differentiate them. BIoware improved on the armour massively in the next two games by adding more customisation the armour, and most importantly allowing us to customise individual pieces of armour, which was a God send.

The armour may look "spacedudebro"(what the fuck does that even mean?), but it looks far more plausible and far better designed than the skintight garbage we had to ME1. Thankfully, ME4 seems to be continuing the trend.

ME1 was going for a more '70s and '80s aesthetic. And, honestly, it's more visually appealing to me. I liked the streamlined feel to it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I kinda like the new suits. I mean, it's still obviously a far stretch from ME1's sleek body suits. But it's not quite full space platemail like ME2/ME3. Gives the impression of a bit more function, like a suit designed to explore hazardous environments.

This in particular;

The combination of steel and fabric, cushioning, vents and jets. Even the helmet looks more practical and visibility based than ME2/ME3's comical helms.

They still keep fucking up the back oxygen port though.

I kinda like the new suits. I mean, it's still obviously a far stretch from ME1's sleek body suits. But it's not quite full space platemail like ME2/ME3. Gives the impression of a bit more function, like a suit designed to explore hazardous environments.

This in particular;

The combination of steel and fabric, cushioning, vents and jets. Even the helmet looks more practical and visibility based than ME2/ME3's comical helms.

They still keep fucking up the back oxygen port though.
I also love the fact that they're modular this time around and can be removed during down time revealing the more unprotected uniform underneath. Great stuff.

ME1 was going for a more '70s and '80s aesthetic. And, honestly, it's more visually appealing to me. I liked the streamlined feel to it.

It doesn't look streamlined, though. Just clunky, and frankly kind of dull.

Also, like an above poster noted, a metric ton of it was just palette swaps.

EDIT: new armor is giving me Halo vibes, I like it.

Toa TAK

Banned
I wonder who they'll get to score the game. I've always enjoyed this series' scores. Guess Jack Wall isn't coming back since he left after 2. :(

Shredderi

I also love the fact that they're modular this time around and can be removed during down time revealing the more unprotected uniform underneath. Great stuff.

They are? Didn't know that. That is awesome. I have some pretty high hopes for the new Mass Effect as it will be current-gen only. In graphics department it will be interesting because Inquisition was cross-gen and still looked gorgeous. Aside from that, being on current-gen only will at least give them the chance to do game design that wasn't possible before. What that could possibly be? Find out in the next episode of E3!
Hopefully we get something about it in E3

Toa TAK

Banned
Wait, didn't they say that our choices in the ME Trilogy will be recognized in some way in the new game? So by that logic, getting a remaster should be in the cards, right?

I mean, I'm just looking for an excuse to do it all over again anyways, but still.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wait, didn't they say that our choices in the ME Trilogy will be recognized in some way in the new game? So by that logic, getting a remaster should be in the cards, right?

Ehh, not really. They've danced around the "keep your saves" thing since ME3 launched, but that could have been related to DLC, or gimmicky stuff. I don't think it implies a remaster or that your save import will have any significance on the outcome of Mass Effect 4. If an import option exists at all, or if they'll go with something Dragon Age Keep-like as a gimmick. My gut says they'll be doing as much as possible to keep Mass Effect 4 a borderline reboot/clean slate for the series, disbanding the Shepard trilogy and leaving it as its own thing (as they should), irrespective of where in the canon it's set. And I think if it's a sequel, they'll do whatever they can to distance from the various decisions end-game, both out of respect to the choices and letting go of baggage. As well as crazy development logistics in living up to those choices with substance.

Gifs:

mass1nqscr.gif

mass23yuol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom