• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-Lo

me_thresher_1_by_gifsandmore-d6elftr.gif

Ya because fighting past those reaper brutes to get to the summoner station to call the big warm just involved pressing A right? lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ya because fighting past those reaper brutes to get to the summoner station to call the big warm just involved pressing A right? lol

"Fighting"? I just run past them so i can press those 2 buttons at each sides of the ruins. I don't remember the Reaper's feet even killing me once.

So yeah, its pretty much "press A for awesome". :p

I just finished Mass Effect 3 for the first time. I didn't got the greatest ending and I had no idea how I could get any more battlepoints. My Xbox is offline so I'll have to look at the extended endings DLC online =/.

Also I didn't bothered with Mass Effect 1, so I never saw Wrex once in my 80+ hours of gaming, I feel like I've being missing out a bit.

I just finished Mass Effect 3 for the first time. I didn't got the greatest ending and I had no idea how I could get any more battlepoints. My Xbox is offline so I'll have to look at the extended endings DLC online =/.

Also I didn't bothered with Mass Effect 1, so I never saw Wrex once in my 80+ hours of gaming, I feel like I've being missing out a bit.

Wrex was my favorite character in ME1. He was always in my party and such a bad-ass. I was really disappointed he wasn't a party member after that.

"Fighting"? I just run past them so i can press those 2 buttons at each sides of the ruins. I don't remember the Reaper's feet even killing me once.

So yeah, its pretty much "press A for awesome". :p

On Insanity you pretty much have to run past them. Trying to fight is not an option.

He was used pretty minimally in 2 and 3. You probably wouldn't have gotten much out of his appearance anyways if you haven't played ME1.

Also, you should play ME1!

You're #1 mistake is not playing ME1. Wrex is one of the best characters.

The first one didn't look appealing to me. I remember people saying that ME2/3 were to streamline and casual compared to the original. Which actually had the opposite effect of me wanting to try them. Never the less I've enjoyed the series way more than I though I would, the characters are amazing and my femshep was really hot.

Wrex does look cooler than his brother, which is the character that I interacted with. Grunt looks way more badass though.

nel e nel

Well, the Dragon Age lore is just not interesting enough for such a plot. By far the best part (Qunari) ended in the second act.

You mean the exact same plot as Mass Effect?

Ancient Evil of legend returns to wreak havok on the universe, and only YOU can stop them by forging an alliance among the races of the lands.

Bisnic

He was used pretty minimally in 2 and 3. You probably wouldn't have gotten much out of his appearance anyways if you haven't played ME1.

Also, you should play ME1!

I agree that Wrex had little presence in ME2, but in ME3 with everything surrounding Tuchanka and the Citadel DLC? He was very present and awesome!

Bisnic

I have a question concerning the ending. Is the kid at the end Harbinger? or is Harbinger a reaper?

Well Shinobi already answer your question, although i wonder how you never realized that Harbinger was a Reaper.

The kid is simply the AI, or whatever it is, that made the Reapers.

Well Shinobi already answer your question, although i wonder how you never realized that Harbinger was a Reaper.

The kid is simply the AI, or whatever it is, that made the Reapers.

Oh, is just that I was getting ready to face him at the end and only found this kid. So I though that maybe he was actually him. And he was just assuming control of the reaper.

Subitai

Wrex was my favorite character in ME1. He was always in my party and such a bad-ass. I was really disappointed he wasn't a party member after that.

On Insanity you pretty much have to run past them. Trying to fight is not an option.
Someone doesn't know how to optimize tech and biotic explosions =P

Also, I wanna see a rebuild Citadel with a bigger council:

Asari, Salarians, Turians, Humans, + Krogan, Geth, Quarians, Rachni, and Vorcha.

No Batarians though until they abolish slavery.

Also, I'm interested to see how Aria runs the galaxy's organized crime cartels.

You mean the exact same plot as Mass Effect?

Ancient Evil of legend returns to wreak havok on the universe, and only YOU can stop them by forging an alliance among the races of the lands.

First of all, I said lore, not plot. Second, I talked about the more personal DA2 plot, which wasn't anything like ME (DA:O was)

Hi guys, I don't know if I should post this here or bump up the ME3 OT, but I'm at the ending and damn this is a hard decision.

I have Extended Cut and my EMS is around 3800 so all of the endings are the "best" ones but it doesn't make my decision any easier.

It also doesn't help that the Catalyst wasn't particularly clear and I'm unable to talk to it again. If anyone can provide some insight into each of the endings that would be great. By that I mean, what does each ending have in store for the Earth/ the galaxy? What happens to all the races, organic and synthetic? And what does is mean for the future of these races? Any details help!

Bisnic

Hi guys, I don't know if I should post this here or bump up the ME3 OT, but I'm at the ending and damn this is a hard decision.

I have Extended Cut and my EMS is around 3800 so all of the endings are the "best" ones but it doesn't make my decision any easier.

It also doesn't help that the Catalyst wasn't particularly clear and I'm unable to talk to it again. If anyone can provide some insight into each of the endings that would be great. By that I mean, what does each ending have in store for the Earth/ the galaxy? What happens to all the races, organic and synthetic? And what does is mean for the future of these races? Any details help!

Um, its hard to answer without spoiling too much. But i guess if you want an ending
where no synthetics(Geths and EDI) dies and without too much bullshit(everyone is a organic/synthetic hybrid!), go with the blue(control) ending? All of them ends on a "good"(things are gonna get rebuilt eventually) note for Earth and the galaxy. Well.... except if you shoot the Catalyst that is.

If you have extended cut then go with your heart. I assure you, you will like every ending.

I didn't had the extended cut, and I chose
control
and I found it alright but still sad and confusing.

However I watched the extended cut videos on YouTube and I almost cried at the
Synthesis
one. Definitely my favorite and it totally what my Shepard will do.

I'm very happy that I went mostly blind to the franchise, in both content and fan reaction.

I found out, I'm in the minority. I dislike Liara, she was useless in Mass Effect 2 and her broker minigame sucked.

Kaidan is very annoying and got brother zone by my femshep.

Most of the quorians high ranks are also a bunch of jackasses, and Tali wasn't that much of a good person neither, I was sweating every time tensions between them and the Geth appeared because I would pop a bullet in Tali's helmet without hesitation to save the Geth.

The Cerberus Cyborg looks out of place and reminds me too much of nightwing. He also came out of nowhere so maybe is one of those characters from ME3.

My favorite thing In ME3 is the weight system. Because it opens a lot of strategies. In the end I was mostly using just the Scorpion and spaming Time stop and Carnage. So awesome.

When do you initiate the Citadel DLC in the game?

Also I really hope the next game takes place after 3.

You can access the DLC fairly early in the game (after Tuchunka I believe). You should have an email from Admiral Hackett going "blah blah Anderson left you an apartment, blah blah shoreleave".

Once you have read the email the next time you go to the citadel and dock a menu comes up giving you the option of visiting "the apartment" that triggers the DLC mission. Most people say you should wait till just before the
Cerberus Illusive man base mission
to do the Party.

Bisnic

This might interest some. It is a crapload of concept art for the mass effect series by Matt Rhodes :-

(oh yeah and some of the stuff is spoilerish so if you want to remind in the dark don't click)

http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.ca/2013/07/concept-art-behind-scenes.html

Some interesting stuff there design wise a shame most of it never made it into the game.

Interesting concept arts. Some look awful, but some look pretty good. A shame some of these never saw the day.

zerosum

This might interest some. It is a crapload of concept art for the mass effect series by Matt Rhodes :-

(oh yeah and some of the stuff is spoilerish so if you want to remind in the dark don't click)

http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.ca/2013/07/concept-art-behind-scenes.html

Some interesting stuff there design wise a shame most of it never made it into the game.

Wow at that concept art... As much as I love this series... Damn do I wish they would have retained some of that... That EDI stuff especially was so much better than what we got.

Thanks for that link.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Again, I maintain that Citadel should be experienced post end game, even if it makes no sense in the canon. Though the ending might kill enthusiasm to bother, in which case pre point of no return.

I too hope ME4 is post end game. Going by the BioWare forums, a lot of people are very much against this idea because they know it would have to pick a chosen canon.

I'd probably take a super early days timeline, humanity exploring the galaxy for the first time after just being introduced to the council, and running into the Batarian issue. That would be pretty safe framework for a game, while avoiding the Reaper shit.

Was going to ask this in my old thread, but this one seems to be the active topic at the moment. Anyone know if they ever released a good quality version of the trailer seen in this interview from E3 2006? (starts at about 2:15 into the video) It's a lot of what was showed off back then, but at some different angles giving a better view of (what I assume to be) early Illos. The most interesting part is they actually showed a Reaper at the end, a bit of footage I've never seen before.

I too hope ME4 is post end game. Going by the BioWare forums, a lot of people are very much against this idea because they know it would have to pick a chosen canon.

All the polls I have seen on Bioware social indicate a huge section want a sequel I think something like 70% want the game set after ME 3 :-

http://social.bioware.com/3225189/polls/45622/

older poll :-

http://social.bioware.com/4175959/polls/41612/

Only about 5% want a prequel. I would have to say from what I have seen not just on Bioware Social but everywhere else if Bioware go the prequel route then they might as well start emptying their desks and brushing up their CV's.

Even polls on places like IGN show a huge amount of support for a sequel :-

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/20/bioware-asks-for-mass-effect-4-suggestions

But then this is Bioware they will probably claim the huge number of people wanting a sequel are not really representative of what people want and their "super secret" consumer intelligence reports better reflect what is going on and no you can't see that report, just trust us it said you lot wanted a prequel.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All three games have excellent vistas, in my opinion, irrespective of uncharted worlds and mako exploration (even if the thrill of mako'ing a ball of rock and looking up at two stars is unmatched). They might not be contextually the same, but Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 provide some very impressive vistas, especially in DLC. It's one thing the series gets consistently right.

All the polls I have seen on Bioware social indicate a huge section want a sequel I think something like 70% want the game set after ME 3 :-

http://social.bioware.com/3225189/polls/45622/

older poll :-

http://social.bioware.com/4175959/polls/41612/

Only about 5% want a prequel. I would have to say from what I have seen not just on Bioware Social but everywhere else if Bioware go the prequel route then they might as well start emptying their desks and brushing up their CV's.

Even polls on places like IGN show a huge amount of support for a sequel :-

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/20/bioware-asks-for-mass-effect-4-suggestions

But then this is Bioware they will probably claim the huge number of people wanting a sequel are not really representative of what people want and their "super secret" consumer intelligence reports better reflect what is going on and no you can't see that report, just trust us it said you lot wanted a prequel.

Good points. I hope BioWare listen. A cynical part of me thinks people who want a sequel believe they'll be able to file import, but surely the majority voters aren't that deluded.

I'd probably take a super early days timeline, humanity exploring the galaxy for the first time after just being introduced to the council, and running into the Batarian issue. That would be pretty safe framework for a game, while avoiding the Reaper shit.

The thing is, this wouldn't really be all that exciting, at least not to me personally. We've already met the council, we've already interacted with Turians and Batarians fully, through and through in the first trilogy. Encountering them for the first time would really just leave me going "meh". We need freshness, new ideas, new worlds, new scenarios, perhaps even new species to encounter.

I'd hate to retread old ground by having to play through the first time humanity met the aliens scenario. No prequels please, we need to move forward.

EatChildren

The thing is, this wouldn't really be all that exciting, at least not to me personally. We've already met the council, we've already interacted with Turians and Batarians fully, through and through in the first trilogy. Encountering them for the first time would really just leave me going "meh". We need freshness, new ideas, new worlds, new scenarios, perhaps even new species to encounter.

I'd hate to retread old ground by having to play through the first time humanity met the aliens scenario. No prequels please, we need to move forward.

Oh I agree, mostly, which is why I want a post-ME3 game. The narrative framework is far more ripe for properly new adventures.

But if it had to be a prequel, I think the best two choices are:
1) Early space faring days of humanity, after the First Contact War.
or 2) Terminus System based game set any time before Mass Effect 3 starts.

I think the former could work somewhat as it would be built on the concept of the frontier. It might be retreading lore, but a lot of that lore wasn't explored in the three games. It would allow us to visit new planets and see proper new things, wrapped around a story of conflict with the Batarians (which is big enough to form a plot). And it would give people a chance to see familiar places that weren't explored until the end game of Mass Effect. We've been to Sur'Kesh, but not to their capital. We've only seen Thessia in ruin. And we've only seen Palaven from a moon. A Mass Effect: The Early Days could at least ride off this material for something new, even if it isn't exclusively new.

And a Terminus System game would appeal for similar reasons; a generally unexplored, rougher part of the galaxy with a bit more loose story telling. Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3 focused mainly on Citadel controlled space and those species. Mass Effect 2 didn't have enough story to explore the Terminus System in an interesting way.

But yeah, I'd be happy with those only if a post-ME3 game was out of the question.

Bleugh, prequels. I hate prequels. Just pick a canon and move on.

EDIT: I suppose "Old Republic" style prequel i.e. so far back it doesn't really matter would be okay.

Good points. I hope BioWare listen. A cynical part of me thinks people who want a sequel believe they'll be able to file import, but surely the majority voters aren't that deluded.

To be fair to those people that is also Biowares fault.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/03/keep-your-mass-effect-3-saves-but-why/

Now most sane people would say that it was for the DLC. However people seem to think Bioware was talking past ME 3 and into the next ME 4. This is part of Biowares problem, I know they need to be "secret" and have to control the marketing of their game. But they are just creating a whole world of pain by letting this bullshit persist. If they have no intention of utilising the save games they should TELL PEOPLE NOW. But no they will just let people keep thinking it will happen then wait till the game is released and have people find out that way.

I already posted that in the DA thread and I don't really know if there are any new Mass Effect details in there, but I figured people would be interested.
Gamespot finally posted their recording of the Bioware PAX Australia panel.

http://au.gamespot.com/mass-effect-...-down-under-panel-pax-australia-2013-6411947/

Yeah I read a summary of that. I cannot believe they actually considered charging for the extended cut. I mean seriously Bioware were considering charging for a few shitty lines of speech and some powerpoint displays. Part of me actually wishes they had done it, they would have been skinned alive.

Patryn

Again, I maintain that Citadel should be experienced post end game, even if it makes no sense in the canon. Though the ending might kill enthusiasm to bother, in which case pre point of no return.

Bioware needs to suck it up, tacitly admit they fucked up the endings, and have it be canon that Shepard picked destroy, but it didn't destroy the Geth or EDI. Hell, they don't even have to be explicit. Just throw it in the journal that the Reapers are gone, Shepard is gone but the Geth and EDI are still around.

Then move forward about 100, 150 years and most of the cast barring Liara and Wrex are dead.

ButchCat

For the next Mass Effect I would like them to translate the Noveria quest before going to Peak 15 into a whole game. I'd love ME4 to be all about industrial espionage and protecting corporate interests as an agent.

For the next Mass Effect I would like them to translate the Noveria quest before going to Peak 15 into a whole game. I'd love ME4 to be all about industrial espionage and protecting corporate interests as an agent.

I guess. It just better have the vastness of space and the exploration to go with it. Or the feeling at least.

EatChildren

Bioware needs to suck it up, tacitly admit they fucked up the endings, and have it be canon that Shepard picked destroy, but it didn't destroy the Geth or EDI. Hell, they don't even have to be explicit. Just throw it in the journal that the Reapers are gone, Shepard is gone but the Geth and EDI are still around.

Then move forward about 100, 150 years and most of the cast barring Liara and Wrex are dead.

I agree, but it's not going to happen, them admitting ending fault. At least not for a very long time, when self critique of a project doesn't risk the upper management hammer. The worst part of any studio under a publisher banner is ultimately how restricted they are in what they say. And this is assuming BioWare understands the ending was colossal fuck-up (Citadel leads me to believe they understand at least one part of where they screwed up).

And yes, that would be ideal. Reapers destroyed, Cerberus dust. Geth and EDI still exist. 100 - 200 years post game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom