• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but it's not going to happen, them admitting ending fault. At least not for a very long time, when self critique of a project doesn't risk the upper management hammer. The worst part of any studio under a publisher banner is ultimately how restricted they are in what they say. And this is assuming BioWare understands the ending was colossal fuck-up (Citadel leads me to believe they understand at least one part of where they screwed up).

And yes, that would be ideal. Reapers destroyed, Cerberus dust. Geth and EDI still exist. 100 - 200 years post game.

Destroy was the only ending I actually thought made sense.

As for moving forward, I'd like to have it set in that same time period as I would be happy with some sort of link to the previous three games.

Patryn

I agree, but it's not going to happen, them admitting ending fault. At least not for a very long time, when self critique of a project doesn't risk the upper management hammer. The worst part of any studio under a publisher banner is ultimately how restricted they are in what they say. And this is assuming BioWare understands the ending was colossal fuck-up (Citadel leads me to believe they understand at least one part of where they screwed up).

And yes, that would be ideal. Reapers destroyed, Cerberus dust. Geth and EDI still exist. 100 - 200 years post game.

Oh, I agree they'll never come out and admit fault. I was just saying that if they decide to have a "canon" ending that wasn't one of the options presented to players, it would be the same as admitting an error without actually saying anything.

Unless I'm misreading you and you're saying they'll never do that because it would be basically admitting they messed up?

Eh, it's Casey Hudson's fault for suddenly deciding that they shouldn't do any post-ME3 Mass Effect games. He's like the kid who picks up all his toys and just goes home when he's sad.

i-Lo

citadel_2_2_3_4_by_gifsandmore-d6em7ps.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Destroy was the only ending I actually thought made sense.

As for moving forward, I'd like to have it set in that same time period as I would be happy with some sort of link to the previous three games.

Destroy was the one that made sense given what the bloody trilogy was about: destroying the Reapers. It's what you were working towards. The "all synthetics, something we refuse to define, will be destroyed" was a cop out though.

I'd like to see it set after Mass Effect 3 just to give the series a clean slate. I love tie-ins, but I'd really like Montreal to be able to build their own stories in a fresh universe free of everything Edmonton built.

Oh, I agree they'll never come out and admit fault. I was just saying that if they decide to have a "canon" ending that wasn't one of the options presented to players, it would be the same as admitting an error without actually saying anything.

Unless I'm misreading you and you're saying they'll never do that because it would be basically admitting they messed up?

Eh, it's Casey Hudson's fault for suddenly deciding that they shouldn't do any post-ME3 Mass Effect games. He's like the kid who picks up all his toys and just goes home when he's sad.

I was agreeing with you that they should do what you suggested, and noting that they won't admit fault, but not necessarily they won't do the whole "canon ending" thing. I mean, if they're going to do a post-ME3 game they have to pick a canon ending. Even if they try to weasel around it they'll still be implying canon shit happened.

I say just do it.

Stand for something. Join Cerberus!

Any impressions yet on the new comic?

Yep. Read and summarised it all here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633026

Destroy was the one that made sense given what the bloody trilogy was about: destroying the Reapers. It's what you were working towards. The "all synthetics, something we refuse to define, will be destroyed" was a cop out though.

I'd like to see it set after Mass Effect 3 just to give the series a clean slate. I love tie-ins, but I'd really like Montreal to be able to build their own stories in a fresh universe free of everything Edmonton built.

I should have been more clear: I mean the same 100-200 year time period that was mentioned.

I replayed the game at a harder difficulty and Kelly died again. I talked to the girl after every freaking mission and I never got the opportunity to tell her to change her name. =(

I was agreeing with you that they should do what you suggested, and noting that they won't admit fault, but not necessarily they won't do the whole "canon ending" thing. I mean, if they're going to do a post-ME3 game they have to pick a canon ending. Even if they try to weasel around it they'll still be implying canon shit happened.

I say just do it.

Yep. Read and summarised it all here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633026

Man you crazy with ME stuff lol. You like this with any other series as well?

So I have me1/2 on PC through steam and haven't picked up me3 yet because its origin only...any chance its ever gonna be on steam or has that ship sailed?

edit- I own all of them on xbox360 already just curious.

Goddamnit, not knowing more info about the next ME is killing me, and not knowing how long until we hear more is even worse.

Come up with generic questions guys. Pretty please :D?

any chance its ever gonna be on steam or has that ship sailed?

Well there is always a chance hell might freeze over. I don't expect we will ever see any EA games appear on Steam. They have clearly come to "like" getting 100% revenue and feel it more than offsets any loses by not being on Steam.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I should have been more clear: I mean the same 100-200 year time period that was mentioned.

Ahh, gotcha.

Man you crazy with ME stuff lol. You like this with any other series as well?

So I have me1/2 on PC through steam and haven't picked up me3 yet because its origin only...any chance its ever gonna be on steam or has that ship sailed?

edit- I own all of them on xbox360 already just curious.

Mass Effect 3 is never coming to Steam, I don't think. Not unless EA decide to shut up shop with Origin.

I think having such a big universe that I'm interested in is what drives this obsession. Like, if we're talking pure quality game obsession then I'd say Half-Life and Metroid rank a good tier or two above Mass Effect. And there's other games that have been released that I've mostly enjoyed more.

But Mass Effect has really swept me up in the lore and universe and all that other dumb stuff. Regardless of whether it's good or not, I do commend BioWare for essentially creating one of the few (and maybe first) truly robust sci fi universes in the medium. There's plenty of expanded universe stuff for other franchises, like Halo, but a lot of them are compartmentalised to very specific events and narrative arcs. BioWare crafted an entire universe in vein of Star Wars and Star Trek and I dig it. I'm not just invested in the games I'm playing, but all the stories.

Goddamnit, not knowing more info about the next ME is killing me, and not knowing how long until we hear more is even worse.

Come up with generic questions guys. Pretty please :D?

I already asked Yanick if Mass Effect 4 was coming to the TI-84 calculator. He said they were in the process of an exclusivity deal. I got my hands on a leaked screenshot.

ti_masseffectdjykk.png

Ahh, gotcha.

Mass Effect 3 is never coming to Steam, I don't think. Not unless EA decide to shut up shop with Origin.

I think having such a big universe that I'm interested in is what drives this obsession. Like, if we're talking pure quality game obsession then I'd say Half-Life and Metroid rank a good tier or two above Mass Effect. And there's other games that have been released that I've mostly enjoyed more.

But Mass Effect has really swept me up in the lore and universe and all that other dumb stuff. Regardless of whether it's good or not, I do commend BioWare for essentially creating one of the few (and maybe first) truly robust sci fi universes in the medium. There's plenty of expanded universe stuff for other franchises, like Halo, but a lot of them are compartmentalised to very specific events and narrative arcs. BioWare crafted an entire universe in vein of Star Wars and Star Trek and I dig it. I'm not just invested in the games I'm playing, but all the stories.

I already asked Yanick if Mass Effect 4 was coming to the TI-84 calculator. He said they were in the process of an exclusivity deal. I got my hands on a leaked screenshot.

ti_masseffectdjykk.png

Oh wow LOL!

I suppose I should get into this twitter thing. Seems to be all the craze.

Dany

Banned
Noveria was my favorite mission from Mass Effect 1. Just everything about it was vast/open and intriguing. Everything was so linear for ME2 and ME3; story wise.

Now that I think about it; I love how each mission Feros, Noveria, Theron, Virmire and Ilos were LONG. They took time and i liked that.

denx

Noveria was awesome, easily my favorite mission from the first game, especially the first part of it with all the corporate intrigue. It was incredibly immersive.

Having said that, the Suicide Mission is da best yo, easily one of my favorite gaming moments of this gen.

EatChildren

Noveria was my favorite mission from Mass Effect 1. Just everything about it was vast/open and intriguing. Everything was so linear for ME2 and ME3; story wise.

Now that I think about it; I love how each mission Feros, Noveria, Theron, Virmire and Ilos were LONG. They took time and i liked that.

In ME1 the mission length and illusion if freedom is aided significantly by the lack of zoning. Each world/mission seamlessly leads you into areas and scenarios without painfully signposting what you're supposed to do. You'll between aimless wandering, NPC chatter, side questing, a shoot out, shopping, and mako driving with no real segmentation except for when it has to load an area. ME2 still did this, though to a lesser extent, and ME3 removed it completely.

On a really simple level that's something I want back in ME4. The unnecessary compartmentalising of gameplay scenarios really kills the pacing and illusion of agency in level progression. It's a great feeling to move between different gameplay elements without having to go through loading screens and scripted scenarios.

The unnecessary compartmentalising of gameplay scenarios really kills the pacing and illusion of agency in level progression. It's a great feeling to move between different gameplay elements without having to go through loading screens and scripted scenarios.

A lot of time in ME1 there would be a cutscene or dialogue option establishing the combat though. Probably something like 95%.

Suppose I should ask here, how good is Frostbite 3 with very large open spaces?

Seeing as it's the engine battlefield is built on, I can only imagine that it was created with this very much in mind. But that's an entirely uneducated guess. There haven't even been any Frostbite 3 games released yet. Battlefield 3 was a Frostbite 2 game though

I have a question. What are the RPG elements that ME1 has that don't appear in the rest if the series? I see that mentioned a lot. I know that ME3 has a bunch of them like Shops, levels, level up moves, different weapons, classes, items, a party, towns, enemy weakness, equipment, numbered HP, etc... So I was wondering what was missing.

EatChildren

A lot of time in ME1 there would be a cutscene or dialogue option establishing the combat though. Probably something like 95%.

And that's fine, because dialogue is its own mechanic, and is a fine segue between scenarios. It's believable and consistent without breaking pacing, unlike LOADING SCREEN HUB LOADING SCREEN SHOOT THE BAD MAN LOADING SCREEN HUB.

Dany

Banned

That made sense and was better than going into a mission ready to kill. You could talk out of it or you could fight your way out.

EatChildren

Jay Watamaniuk was originally hired as a community marketing rep and community manager around the time of Neverwinter Nights, but moved into game writing come Mass Effect 2. He's worked on Mass Effect 2, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Mass Effect 3. For Mass Effect 3 he was at least responsible for Miranda's story arc.

Jay Watamaniuk was originally hired as a community marketing rep and community manager around the time of Neverwinter Nights, but moved into game writing come Mass Effect 2. He's worked on Mass Effect 2, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Mass Effect 3. For Mass Effect 3 he was at least responsible for Miranda's story arc.

Excellent.

Miranda is an awesome character. I kind of wish her outfit wasn't that tight, I started at her crotch way past the acceptable length and full into creep territory.

I wonder if an open world Mass Effect would be possible, but with the Dungeons/Missions still being their own thing.

I just re-read this interview with Dr.Greg, and this line stuck out to me.
Mass Effect 1 was in a launch window but ended up kind of being about nine months later or something
Interesting that ME1 was in launch window for the 360. How many times was it delayed? I thought they were originally saying winter in 2006, which could have meant early 2007. I wonder how different things could have turn out if it did release as planned. Would there have been more DLC for ME1? Would Microsoft have been signed to publish ME2? Who knows.

EatChildren

Would there have been more DLC for ME1?

For sure. I don't doubt BioWare had envisioned a similar DLC schedule as ME2/ME3 for ME1, and for whatever reason ended up with only Bring Down the Sky, which if I'm correct included content that was recycled from the scrapped Liara recruit mission. Pinnacle Station wasn't even made by BioWare.

Yeah, we know there was atleast one more DLC meant to take place on Caleston that got cancelled. EA probably wanted to focus on the games they were publishing and would get more money from.

Shame though, ME1 could've had some great DLC. I wonder if they planned on expanding Cerberus in the scrapped DLC to bridge the gap between 1 & 2.

After selling my 360 and all ME games, hunkered down and went out and got the ME Trilogy pack for my PS3. Feels so weird playing it on a PS console...I've associated Mass Effect with Xbox for the last 6 years, feels alien lol.

Still, it's strangely allowing the experience to feel a little fresh for some reason...especially seeing PS buttons on screen instead of Xbox. Feels good man.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
After selling my 360 and all ME games, hunkered down and went out and got the ME Trilogy pack for my PS3. Feels so weird playing it on a PS console...I've associated Mass Effect with Xbox for the last 6 years, feels alien lol.

Still, it's strangely allowing the experience to feel a little fresh for some reason...especially seeing PS buttons on screen instead of Xbox. Feels good man.

Should have went with PC for 60 FPS, mouse/keyboard controls, 8 power shortcuts, and maybe even mods. Now, that would have been a little more "fresh". :p

Should have went with PC for 60 FPS, mouse/keyboard controls, 8 power shortcuts, and maybe even mods. Now, that would have been a little more "fresh". :p

Heh, I would've if I had a decent PC. But right now I'm investing in a PS4, Xbone next year and games games games. I can't afford a decent vid card at the moment.

Also don't really like keyboard movement :p

Heh, I would've if I had a decent PC. But right now I'm investing in a PS4, Xbone next year and games games games. I can't afford a decent vid card at the moment.

Also don't really like keyboard movement :p

Shooting with the mouse would be a fresh alternative also. I got a fresh alternative replaying ME3, but that was because my controller broke and I had to hold it in an awkward position to no get disconnect messages :(.

I hope we get cool characters.

So are you guys satisfied with how Dragon Age Inquisition looks on Frostbite 3 so far? Definitely has me a lot more excited to see the next Mass Effect.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So are you guys satisfied with how Dragon Age Inquisition looks on Frostbite 3 so far? Definitely has me a lot more excited to see the next Mass Effect.

It's actually looking quite a bit better than I expected.

Also their dedication to adding back in multiple races makes me more optimistic that Mass Effect 4 will have the same feature.

It's actually looking quite a bit better than I expected.

Also their dedication to adding back in multiple races makes me more optimistic that Mass Effect 4 will have the same feature.

Hmm, not sure about that. It's happened before in the DA series, but never in Mass Effect...I'm not sure if Bioware Montreal would go that route. They probably want a central character who is very defined by nature. We'll see, but honestly I hope they don't. It seems fine in DA, but for some reason I want a very structured, centralized character in ME4.

EatChildren

Ehh. I still think it would be a bit harder to get right in Mass Effect due to voice. Outside of pitch association, Human/Elf/Dwarf in Dragon Age all sound the same. Even Qunari have little in the ways of filtering.

Then again, if they went with the basics (Human/Turian/Asari) they'd only need to tweak up Turians, given how Asari sound so similar to humans. I mean, it's doable, but I think for Dragon Age class selection it would be as simple as a reusing the voice, whereas a bit more work would be required to get the Mass Effect species vocals right. Especially if they want to branch out of the three basics.

Blinck

Hey guys!
Any recomendation on mass effect books? ( preferably not comics, but that's ok if they are really good )

For those who read them...are they canon, and if so, how well do they help refine the game lore in general?

Thanks in advance!

Arkam

I really hope they expand the relationship mechanic. I had so much fun with it this gen. Would love to see every major npc as a potential lover... If you can woo them ;)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really hope they expand the relationship mechanic. I had so much fun with it this gen. Would love to see every major npc as a potential lover... If you can woo them ;)

As long as none of those major npcs are either a Batarian or Vorcha. Even Krogans might be too much. Have you ever imagine Krogans mating?

*Padok Wiks thinking about Krogans mating.gif*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ehh. I still think it would be a bit harder to get right in Mass Effect due to voice. Outside of pitch association, Human/Elf/Dwarf in Dragon Age all sound the same. Even Qunari have little in the ways of filtering.

Then again, if they went with the basics (Human/Turian/Asari) they'd only need to tweak up Turians, given how Asari sound so similar to humans. I mean, it's doable, but I think for Dragon Age class selection it would be as simple as a reusing the voice, whereas a bit more work would be required to get the Mass Effect species vocals right. Especially if they want to branch out of the three basics.

Well technically in Dragon Age they have different accents, but yes, I imagine they could give them all the same voice and it wouldn't get *too* many eye blinks.

That said I think the species you covered could work, given that I wouldn't expect every race in the galaxy to be selectable.

Edit: Apparently they're detailing the voice set up later: https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/364886365453819904

Subitai

You left out Quarians!

i-Lo

On a more technical note, with all the talk of FB3 and current renders of DAI providing a base for speculation, I wanted to share this:

Poly count of Shepard Wrex Shepard female:

East Side Marius

Now aside from the fact that they're on two different engines and given the knowledge of ME4 being a (perhaps) more open-world game in comparison, what kind of rise (lol) can we expect in the polycount for the protagonist of the next ass effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom