• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this was discussed way earlier, back when the trailer for ME Andromeda first came out, but did anyone else notice that the shadowy figures near the end of the trailer have Prothean shaped silohouettes? The tech that rises out of the ground looks a lot like prothean design too.
The protheteans are gone with the milky way but there's supposed to be a new ancient race's the remnants from the leaked survey. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-20-probing-the-new-mass-effect-4-leak

diaspora

Maybe this was discussed way earlier, back when the trailer for ME Andromeda first came out, but did anyone else notice that the shadowy figures near the end of the trailer have Prothean shaped silohouettes? The tech that rises out of the ground looks a lot like prothean design too.
They're not protheans. New race.

diaspora

that was just a concept trailer anyway though right? didn't bioware say we're not gonna play as the n7 character that was in it?
The N7 was not the main character yeah. The concept art that shows a male and female standing back to back curiously have armor similar in colour to the ARKCON/PATHFINDER logo though.

The N7 was not the main character yeah. The concept art that shows a male and female standing back to back curiously have armor similar in colour to the ARKCON/PATHFINDER logo though.
yeah but that isn't the same character as the one in the trailer though. i think the one in the poster will be the one we play as.

diaspora

Going through the trilogy again, I'm convinced that the reapers were at their best during the derelict reaper mission and during Leviathan. During ME1 you talk to Sovereign and you figure out from the get go exactly what the reapers are- dickhead machines; there was no sense of horror or mystery as far as the reapers were concerned in ME1. But on the dead reaper, and in leviathan you have no idea... they don't talk to you. They're just there and they just act even when they're dead.

edit: By stopping to have a chat on Virmire, the mystery is kinda peeled away. You get a sense of what Sovereign is, what he wants and what his motivations are and by the end that it's killable. The difference with the dead reaper is that the mystery is back; you can't even distinguish the line between life and death with it ("even a dead god can dream").

Going through the trilogy again, I'm convinced that the reapers were at their best during the derelict reaper mission and during Leviathan. During ME1 you talk to Sovereign and you figure out from the get go exactly what the reapers are- dickhead machines; there was no sense of horror or mystery as far as the reapers were concerned in ME1. But on the dead reaper, and in leviathan you have no idea... they don't talk to you. They're just there and they just act even when they're dead.

edit: By stopping to have a chat on Virmire, the mystery is kinda peeled away. You get a sense of what Sovereign is, what he wants and what his motivations are and by the end that it's killable. The difference with the dead reaper is that the mystery is back; you can't even distinguish the line between life and death with it ("even a dead god can dream").
the derelict reaper was madd creepy, with the two guys who were getting indoctrinated. i think by the last vlog it was implied that one of them killed the other out of insanity.

Yeah, the blood on his face. Almost system shock-ish.
someone made a documentary on youtube about something similar to the indoctrination theory. you know how those people in the reaper started remembering the same things from their own personal lives?

apparently, vega remembered things that he wasn't a part of (but shepard was) and, he heard humming aboard the normandy.

Ralemont

not me
So after I finish my Kingdom Hearts 2.5 playthrough I'm jumping back into ME3, but recently I've been thinking about going back to my initial ME2 outcome before I reloaded and got a perfect Suicide Mission, where Thane and Legion both died. I think Kirrahe takes Thane's place in the Citadel coup, and the geth VI is really different from Legion (and I think precludes peace), which sounds like an interesting mix of what I'm used to.

So after I finish my Kingdom Hearts 2.5 playthrough I'm jumping back into ME3, but recently I've been thinking about going back to my initial ME2 outcome before I reloaded and got a perfect Suicide Mission, where Thane and Legion both died. I think Kirrahe takes Thane's place in the Citadel coup, and the geth VI is really different from Legion (and I think precludes peace), which sounds like an interesting mix of what I'm used to.
every time I played Me3 my Me2 save file had everyone survive. Sometimes I wonder how interesting my Me3 playthrough would've been if most of them were dead.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
every time I played Me3 my Me2 save file had everyone survive. Sometimes I wonder how interesting my Me3 playthrough would've been if most of them were dead.

This very gloomy photo.
maxresdefault.jpg

Instead of:
mass-effect-3-the-gang.jpg

So how would you guys like to see the game open up at the start?

Waking up from cryo-sleep mid-flight to Andromeda? Already in Andromeda? Near Earth before leaving the Milky Way?

Patryn

Waking up from cryo-sleep mid-flight to Andromeda? Already in Andromeda? Near Earth before leaving the Milky Way?

The less Earth the better.

I have literally never cared about Earth in a Mass Effect game, and I continue to not give a shit about it.

diaspora

Cinematic leaving the milky way, game starts in Andromeda. Like Destiny's opening when starting a new game.

Patryn

You a self-hating human Patryn? /s

How would like to see the opener then?

I think the proposal about a cinematic showing the leaving, then open with them arriving in Andromeda works well.

And I've always played either a Spacer or a Colonist, so my Shepard never really had much of a connection to Earth.

Add in the fact that all the worst sections of Mass Effect 3 take place on Earth, and, well....

You a self-hating human Patryn? /s

How would like to see the opener then?

Full out faction war aboard the ARK with about a year out from ETA to Andromeda galaxy. About half of the crew have abandoned ARKCON and gone rogue. Several of the our crew have developed enemy outposts on several planets in the new galaxy. We receive an almost hostile reaction from the native species.

I don't want this but it might be cool to try and survive on half a crew aboard the ARK.

Ralemont

not me
Prologue featuring first contact between the Ark and Andromeda aliens, then a timeskip wherein the refugees are settled but still not really integrated into society. That way you can have the Milky Way races starting to build again, seeds of settlements, slight deviations of culture.

Kadayi

Banned

Replace Bobby Ewing with Femshep and Liara going 'Shepard I had this terrible dream..'

I was thinking opening up the game on the trip to Andromeda would be neat as well. Waking up from cryo-sleep, exploring the ship a little, meeting and talking to a few NPCs. Could feel...Star Trekky.

Easy way to start it is to have it kick off when the expedition is setting out. You fill out your data (they're terribly sorry, but your file's been corrupted, could you fill in a few details like as in all of them), you maybe wander around and chat with a few familiar faces/names, then you get put into cryosleep. Next scene is you waking up, and naturally, something has gone TERRIBLY WRONG, so grab a gun and get to popping heads.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Easy way to start it is to have it kick off when the expedition is setting out. You fill out your data (they're terribly sorry, but your file's been corrupted, could you fill in a few details like as in all of them), you maybe wander around and chat with a few familiar faces/names, then you get put into cryosleep. Next scene is you waking up, and naturally, something has gone TERRIBLY WRONG, so grab a gun and get to popping heads.

Works for me. BioWare, hire this man.

Patryn

This sounds like a good way to start.

Ovek

7Member7

I'm gonna guess escaping the initial Reaper attack through a "special" mass effect relay, leading to a unprepared expedition full of people not suited to be stuck in Andromeda.

Think Star Gate Universe (without the ship).

Then it will be all about were the hell is the first N7 team that got sent through and why is the base/camp they setup been destroyed and abandoned.

Patryn

I'm gonna guess escaping the initial Reaper attack through a "special" mass effect relay, leading to a unprepared expedition full of people not suited to be stuck in Andromeda.

Then it will be all about were the hell is the first N7 team that got sent through and why is the base/camp they setup been destroyed and abandoned.

If there was a Mass Relay that went to Andromeda, there would be Reapers there. There won't be Reapers.

There is every indication that the game takes place well after Mass Effect 3, implying that the crew will be in cryo-stasis, and not utilize mass relays at all.

There was a thing posted to the ME twitter a while ago about a wormhole (no details, just an image and a teasing message); most likely, that's how they got to Andromeda.

Also, if this really is a voyage of exploration (as opposed to escape), the people sent along are most likely going to be at the top of their respective games, so to speak.

diaspora

In the first place the last teaser had the Ark just cruising to Andromeda, seems clear they're going the conventional flight route.

diaspora

how did Me1 open up? was it edem prime with saren killing that other turian?

Short cutscene with Hackett, Anderson, and Udina talking about making Shepard a Spectre, then followed with Shepard on the Normandy heading to Eden Prime with Anderson and Nihilus on board. ME2 had the bar-none greatest opening of any of the games in the series.

Patryn

Short cutscene with Hackett, Anderson, and Udina talking about making Shepard a Spectre, then followed with Shepard on the Normandy heading to Eden Prime with Anderson and Nihilus on board. ME2 had the bar-none greatest opening of any of the games in the series.

Seen in isolation, kind of.

See in the context of the series, it's terrible. Because it's pointless.

ME2's opening was amazing. Forget the series, it might be my favorite start to any game ever.

In the first place the last teaser had the Ark just cruising to Andromeda, seems clear they're going the conventional flight route.

I was thinking it might go wormhole most of the way there -> conventional flight for the duration, thus the need for cryosleep. Flying to Andromeda conventinally, even at ME FTL speeds, would take so long that by the time the expedition could report back all of galactic civilization would probably be dead or so different that they don't care. Only makes sense if they're trying to escape the Reapers.

diaspora

ME2's opening was amazing. Forget the series, it might be my favorite start to any game ever.

I was thinking it might go wormhole most of the way there -> conventional flight for the duration, thus the need for cryosleep. Flying to Andromeda conventinally, even at ME FTL speeds, would take so long that by the time the expedition could report back all of galactic civilization would probably be dead or so different that they don't care. Only makes sense if they're trying to escape the Reapers.
You're assuming they have any intention of reporting back. It looks more likely imo this to be a one way trip exclusively.

Edit: the pointlessness wasn't about the intro, just the death/resurrection part. Everything else was fucking god-tier.

Lucreto

I was thinking opening up the game on the trip to Andromeda would be neat as well. Waking up from cryo-sleep, exploring the ship a little, meeting and talking to a few NPCs. Could feel...Star Trekky.

I think it's going to start out like Mass Effect 1

You get your initial choices on background and a speech explaining some of the Media backstory while panning over cryo- beds and zoom in on one for the character creator.

My guess that construction of the Ark began after ME1, it looks like a space station so it would take time to build. Major construction pushed by humans in the two years after Shepard death. Even with the council increasing doubt on the Reaper threat, lend minor aid as a backup plan but humans approach other species to donate time and recruiting for people to join the expedition.

I don't know much about Mass Relays technology but I expect the Omega relay will play a part. After gaining the new technology from ME2 they explored the galactic core before Cerberus takes control of the area. They find another Mass Relay leading to parts unknown.

I am expecting a lot of flashbacks during the game to build up the reasoning behind the crews selection.

diaspora

I think it's going to start out like Mass Effect 1

You get your initial choices on background and a speech explaining some of the Media backstory while panning over cryo- beds and zoom in on one for the character creator.

My guess that construction of the Ark began after ME1, it looks like a space station so it would take time to build. Major construction pushed by humans in the two years after Shepard death. Even with the council increasing doubt on the Reaper threat, lend minor aid as a backup plan but humans approach other species to donate time and recruiting for people to join the expedition.

I don't know much about Mass Relays technology but I expect the Omega relay will play a part. After gaining the new technology from ME2 they explored the galactic core before Cerberus takes control of the area. They find another Mass Relay leading to parts unknown.

I am expecting a lot of flashbacks during the game to build up the reasoning behind the crews selection.

TBH, I'm personally expecting almost none of this. Personally, I think the events, setting, and most if not all of the characters of ME 1-3 are going to be inconsequential and that the strongest tie back to the original trilogy will be a voice message from Shepard.

Patryn

TBH, I'm personally expecting almost none of this. Personally, I think the events, setting, and most if not all of the characters of ME 1-3 are going to be inconsequential and that the strongest tie back to the original trilogy will be a voice message from Shepard.

Ditto.

I think there will be no talk about mass relays, and they certainly will not have anything major to do with the trip to Andromeda.

Huh, really. I always remembered it as EdenPrime. Oh well.

And yeah, Me2 was the pinnacle of the series - in almost all the ways.

Patryn

I had a vision of what I hoped ME2 to be. It came up short in nearly every way, simply because the series took a turn into a new direction that I didn't necessarily agree with.

Combine that with a disappointing main plot that accomplished nothing, and there you have it.

It's still in my top 15 favorite games of all time, but when I think of what it could have been...

diaspora

I had a vision of what I hoped ME2 to be. It came up short in nearly every way, simply because the series took a turn into a new direction that I didn't necessarily agree with.

Combine that with a disappointing main plot that accomplished nothing, and there you have it.

It's still in my top 15 favorite games of all time, but when I think of what it could have been...

I don't think there was going to be any scenario where ME2 improves on ME1's abhorrent "open" world using UE3.

in UE at least, the closest approximation would have been Metroid style tunnels and corridors.

what was your vision for it?

Me2 was the first ME I ever played and after having played it a ton of times as well as the other games, my biggest gripe was how the whole game was basically the loyalty missions, and the story had like just 5 missions tops. Or that's how it feels.

Random17

I keep getting a "a procedure entry point could not be located" error everytime I run ME1.

I'm using MEUITM + Sweet Fx. Worked perfectly on 10240 Windows 10 as well as Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Patryn

I keep getting a "a procedure entry point could not be located" error everytime I run ME1.

I'm using MEUITM + Sweet Fx. Worked perfectly on 10240 Windows 10 as well as Windows 7.

Any ideas?

That's DLL specific. Sounds like something got delinked, probably due to something going wrong with the modding. There's zero way to know what your problem is without knowing which DLL it's complaining about.

Suggest you Google. Odds are someone's seen something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom