• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Victorian

Neo Member
Consider me one of those people who was very disappointed with the direction BioWare the series with ME2.

The first game, for all its flaws, had unique and compelling setting that was a throwback to the classic sci-fi of old. ME2, on the other hand, discarded all that in favour of becoming just another dark-and-gritty sci-fi series, a dull ripoff of Firefly, with Shepard turning into a wisecracking action hero surrounded by scantily-clad women whose posteriors the camera enjoys lingering on. It made Mass Effect go from something unique to something utterly generic. Even the music seemed to acknowledge this, going from a Vangelis-esque soundtrack to an unmemorable orchestral score.

The only redeeming element to it were the loyalty missions, but even those seemed to be treading the same ground over and over, with Shepard having to play therapist to his teammates' mommy/daddy/son/daughter issues. As for the central plot of the game, it's riddled with plot holes, inconsistencies, unexplained retcons, and wasted opportunities.

Don't get me wrong, ME2 wasn't a bad game per se, and I enjoyed it well enough, but it really wasn't what I was looking for.

Maledict

And equally, consider me someone who thought ME2 was superior to ME1 in every way. A series which launched in an incredibly broken, flawed state that wasn't a very fun *game* somehow managed to claw its way back into the best character driven role-playing game released in years.

Not sure why we are still retreading this same old ground but thought I would stick my oar in too... ;-)

diaspora

ME 2 and 3 are better games than ME1, but not necessarily what people wanted from the series. Realistically, I don't think there was any way that Bioware or EA were going to go the route of big worlds during the trilogy while still using UE3. Now they've got Frostbite, I can see that actually coming to fruition now- and even better using the refinements they've made to gameplay and combat in ME3.

ME 2 and 3 are better games than ME1, but not necessarily what people wanted from the series. Realistically, I don't think there was any way that Bioware or EA were going to go the route of big worlds during the trilogy while still using UE3. Now they've got Frostbite, I can see that actually coming to fruition now- and even better using the refinements they've made to gameplay and combat in ME3.

Yup. ME:A has the possibility to execute on ME1's vision with the later game's actually compelling gameplay.

Patryn

what was your vision for it?

Me2 was the first ME I ever played and after having played it a ton of times as well as the other games, my biggest gripe was how the whole game was basically the loyalty missions, and the story had like just 5 missions tops. Or that's how it feels.

It certainly wasn't a shift to specific delineated missions taking place in closed-off areas that are unable to be returned to, along with a de-emphasis on exploration coupled with a push for aesthetic design over practical (think the ridiculousness of Jack's outfit in open space).

In addition, I was hoping for a plot that actually built on the previous game's and had some significance to the larger series, as opposed to a glorified giant side mission that had little to no impact in the series in general.

But a lot of these points are well-trod ground at this point.

Yup. ME:A has the possibility to execute on ME1's vision with the later game's actually compelling gameplay.

That's my hope.

Mindlog

Or Privateer.
pZZwMBT.jpg
Really can't wait to see what they do with planets in the next game.

&The environments in Battlefront are friggin phenomenal.
I really can't wait for the full Mako 2 unveiling.

Consider me one of those people who was very disappointed with the direction BioWare the series with ME2.

The first game, for all its flaws, had unique and compelling setting that was a throwback to the classic sci-fi of old. ME2, on the other hand, discarded all that in favour of becoming just another dark-and-gritty sci-fi series, a dull ripoff of Firefly, with Shepard turning into a wisecracking action hero surrounded by scantily-clad women whose posteriors the camera enjoys lingering on. It made Mass Effect go from something unique to something utterly generic. Even the music seemed to acknowledge this, going from a Vangelis-esque soundtrack to an unmemorable orchestral score.

The only redeeming element to it were the loyalty missions, but even those seemed to be treading the same ground over and over, with Shepard having to play therapist to his teammates' mommy/daddy/son/daughter issues. As for the central plot of the game, it's riddled with plot holes, inconsistencies, unexplained retcons, and wasted opportunities.

Don't get me wrong, ME2 wasn't a bad game per se, and I enjoyed it well enough, but it really wasn't what I was looking for.
hm, posts like this really make me feel like Me2 is a hit or miss with the fans. People will love and say it is one of the best games they've ever played (despite its flaws), and people will be disappointed with it and say that even though it's a good game it was a huge letdown (for reasons like the ones you suggested).
Disagree. Me3 is not better than Me1. Not to me. Well, maybe just the combat, actually. But not the overall campaign.
It certainly wasn't a shift to specific delineated missions taking place in closed-off areas that are unable to be returned to, along with a de-emphasis on exploration coupled with a push for aesthetic design over practical (think the ridiculousness of Jack's outfit in open space).

In addition, I was hoping for a plot that actually built on the previous game's and had some significance to the larger series, as opposed to a glorified giant side mission that had little to no impact in the series in general.

But a lot of these points are well-trod ground at this point..
Yeah, I can understand that. Back when I first played it and before Me3 launched, a lot of people were calling Me2 filler, which I guess it kind of was. The loyalty missions were cool but it wasn't cool that the whole game depending on you doing them. I agree with the aesthetic over practical design point you're talking about too. I thought Jack's outfit was stupid and in general I'm not fond of the sexualization of females in video games and entertainment in general.
Or Privateer.

Really can't wait to see what they do with planets in the next game.

&The environments in Battlefront are friggin phenomenal.
I really can't wait for the full Mako 2 unveiling.
that's official artwork?

Ralemont

not me
Seen in isolation, kind of.

See in the context of the series, it's terrible. Because it's pointless.

I guess I sort of see in somewhere in between. In the context of the series, for PS3 people who started with ME2 like me, ME2's opening is absolutely perfect for 1) setting a tone and wowing you with an incredible opening, 2) providing an excuse for Shepard to go about the galaxy, fleshing out races and cultures even more than ME1, and most importantly 3) severing ties with the characters from ME1 so that you can gain them back slowly and have a good feel for your squad.

goishen

There's nothing wrong with a character driven story even in the middle of a action driven story. I personally think that's what ME trilogy is. Action - Character - Action.

Melchiah

Mass Effect 2's cover is great.

The alternative ME3 cover with FemShep is far more to my liking, considering I played the trilogy through with one. I'd prefer, if the Andromeda cover didn't feature the main character at all, or if (s)he'd be completely androgynous and faceless.

diaspora

The alternative ME3 cover with FemShep is far more to my liking, considering I played the trilogy through with one. I'd prefer, if the Andromeda cover didn't feature the main character at all, or if (s)he'd be completely androgynous and faceless.

It might use this:

g_eC0yq3tr_K.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Patryn

I think the fact that they licensed the face of MaleShep, as opposed to FemShep which was just created using their tools, was what led to them putting him so forward.

You can also argue the lower percentage of players who played FemShep, but an argument could be made that they drove that lower percentage by pushing MaleShep much harder.

Squire

Banned
There's nothing wrong with it but there are way more memorable covers out there.

This applies to everything. There's always something better out there. If something speaks to you, what does it matter?

They actually made a concerted effort to make the MC on the cover of Dragon Age: Inquisition androgynous, so I expect they'll replicate that with Mass Effect.

This applies to everything. There's always something better out there. If something speaks to you, what does it matter?

They actually made a concerted effort to make the MC on the cover of Dragon Age: Inquisition androgynous, so I expect they'll replicate that with Mass Effect.
true but I honestly feel like they can do a better job coming up with a cover than Me2. I even prefer this fake one over it

meps3.jpg

Melchiah

Forgot that one, as I bought the digital version. Hopefully they'll do the same here. It's just a cover, but having some hunk there, who won't appear on my playthrough, actually makes me sway away from a version with him on the cover.

So guys, if this is a legit piece of concept art wouldn't it tell us something significant about the next game? This is clearly a very large settlement. It would take years and an established civilization to build something in that capacity. We can assume a great deal from that image. It doesn't appear to be a fortification. Would the expedition need support from the locals?

Work in Progress.

So guys, if this is a legit piece of concept art wouldn't it tell us something significant about the next game? This is clearly a very large settlement. It would take years and an established civilization to build something in that capacity. We can assume a great deal from that image. It doesn't appear to be a fortification. Would the expedition need support from the locals?

Well, a few possibilities occur. It might not be in Andromeda; maybe that's where the mission launches from. It might be largely prefab, and thus negate the need for long-term building. Or it could be that it's from late in the game, when constructing such structures are within the expedition's grasp. I'd imagine that they'd want some kind of planetside presence, if only to liason with the locals.

Well, a few possibilities occur. It might not be in Andromeda; maybe that's where the mission launches from. It might be largely prefab, and thus negate the need for long-term building. Or it could be that it's from late in the game, when constructing such structures are within the expedition's grasp. I'd imagine that they'd want some kind of planetside presence, if only to liason with the locals.

Great points. The thought never crossed my mind that we might start in the Milky Way.

diaspora

Guys, I never suggested that they use the piece of artwork I posted as the cover itself, I mean using the art of the characters on the cover. They could have anything in the background.

Maledict

See, this is one of my worries about the exploration aspect and summary we have so far. I loved the cities and different bases in the trilogy - I think the game will suffer if it doesn't have some established cities and worlds to use as a base. Someone needs to think of the Illium Skyboxes!

See, this is one of my worries about the exploration aspect and summary we have so far. I loved the cities and different bases in the trilogy - I think the game will suffer if it doesn't have some established cities and worlds to use as a base. Someone needs to think of the Illium Skyboxes!

Well, the base will most likely be the Ark. As for the rest, the natives'll probably have some kind of cities.

Patryn

Mass Effect 3 only had the Citadel.

Even Mass Effect 2 only had Omega, Tuchanka and Ilium, and Tuchanka barely counted.

In fact, I don't think any Mass Effect game has had more than three cities.

Kabouter

Mass Effect 3 only had the Citadel.

Even Mass Effect 2 only had Omega, Tuchanka and Ilium, and Tuchanka barely counted.

In fact, I don't think any Mass Effect game has had more than three cities.

Mass Effect 2 also had that crappy non-Presidium Citadel bit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh, right.

So I guess that's technically 4.

Like you said, I'm not sure we should even count Tuchanka in ME2. That was just a small hub made of ruins and rocks.

Sucks that ME3 only got one "city". I'm still kinda pissed that the Omega DLC didn't even gave us a small hub to visit after beating it. Would have gladly went back to Upper & Lower Afterlife.

Like you said, I'm not sure we should even count Tuchanka in ME2. That was just a small hub made of ruins and rocks.

Sucks that ME3 only got one "city". I'm still kinda pissed that the Omega DLC didn't even gave us a small hub to visit after beating it. Would have gladly went back to Upper & Lower Afterlife.
It had the monkey mini game and the pit fights. Plus, you got a vorcha to follow you around wherever you go. The friggin stupidass robot dog in the Me3 special edition didn't even do that shit, and I'm pretty sure they said it would.

Replaying ME1 on Xbox One, it's funny how obvious it is that they wrote and recorded lines for the rewards of sidequests before balancing the economy in game. Being rewarded medpacks or something like 500 credits really does nothing for you.

Patryn

Replaying ME1 on Xbox One, it's funny how obvious it is that they wrote and recorded lines for the rewards of sidequests before balancing the economy in game. Being rewarded medpacks or something like 500 credits really does nothing for you.
The funny thing is that nowadays when I play it I barely buy anything, and always end with the max amount of money.

But, yeah, 500 creds is nothing when late game stuff is 200k+.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The funny thing is that nowadays when I play it I barely buy anything, and always end with the max amount of money.

But, yeah, 500 creds is nothing when late game stuff is 200k+.

Yeah right, even more funny when you use your paragon or renegade replies to get more credits.

NPC : "Here is your 500 credits reward."
Shepard : "You sure I don't deserve more for what I went through?"
NPC: "Yeah, you're right. Here's 750."
*6,789,644+750 credits*
Me : "Yay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom