• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hnnng....hnnnnnnng

kzj31va.png

Mindlog

http://blog.bioware.com/2013/10/24/n7-day-2013-is-coming/

From the newest blog entry they're doing some things to recognize another N7 day.
Mass Effect Risk First Reveal: We got our hands on the official Mass Effect Risk board game, courtesy of USAopoly, and we’re anxious to give it a whirl! Will we play peacefully or will tables get flipped? We’ll have a video team on hand to film our session and share the experience with you.
I expect a review from EC.

I recently saw a Hyundai Veloster on the highway totally covered with N7 and ME decals, like it was a spaceship. I am sure that guy will wear the hoodie.

One of the PhD students at my university lives about a street away from me, and his standard outfit involves a fedora and an N7 hoodie. He also has very long hair.

Nice guy, but damn, do I wish I could beat some sense into him.

DTKT

I am ashamed to admit that I did wear a ME hoodie for a bit. Realized how silly it was after a bit though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The most i would wear is a t-shirt with the N7 logo and that's about it. And i would it on a day where i dont plan to go outside. That Garrus hoodie? Oh my god... who would be nerdy enough to wear that shit?

I don't know who I feel worse for, the nerds with no sense of shame who go out of their way to appear as ridiculous as possible at all times, or the nerds who are so insecure with their nerdiness that they can't even stand the thought of a t-shirt or a hoodie.

I feel like I have an adequate, healthy shame of my nerdiness. I don't wear fedoras or have greasy long hair, but I'm not afraid to rep my awesome N7 elite hoodie on a chilly day.

X-Frame

Does anyone know if there has been any confirmation if we can use our 360 saves for an upcoming PS4 version or is that too early to know yet?

I'm just wondering if I should buy the Trilogy Edition on the PS3 to better my chances of that, or maybe there won't even be a point.

Does anyone know if there has been any confirmation if we can use our 360 saves for an upcoming PS4 version or is that too early to know yet?

I'm just wondering if I should buy the Trilogy Edition on the PS3 to better my chances of that, or maybe there won't even be a point.
No, and I doubt the next Mass Effect will even have a save transfer option from this gen's trilogy.

Bisnic

No, and I doubt the next Mass Effect will even have a save transfer option from this gen's trilogy.

Yeah, Bioware said many times that the Shepard's story is over, so there's literally no point in transfering any sort of data.

V_Ben

Banned
Yeah, Bioware said many times that the Shepard's story is over, so there's literally no point in transfering any sort of data.

I dunno, the state of the galaxy after the trilogy can sort of change dramatically, so perhaps they'll have some kind of tool available before launch.

Patryn

If they do have a save transfer thing, it'll be something like they're doing with Dragon Age, where there will be a web site where you set your decisions.

That being said, they won't have any sort of save transfer system. They just won't, it's way too many variables to deal with, and they want to get a new audience. ME4 is going to be a fresh start.

X-Frame

Thanks, I only ask because I could have sworn I read something from a BioWare dev about a save still working for possible world changes, but I may be thinking of Dragon Age? No idea.

Patryn

Thanks, I only ask because I could have sworn I read something from a BioWare dev about a save still working for possible world changes, but I may be thinking of Dragon Age? No idea.

You're probably thinking of Dragon Age. See my post above.

I dunno, the state of the galaxy after the trilogy can sort of change dramatically, so perhaps they'll have some kind of tool available before launch.

Mark my words: They'll either pick a canon ending and just go with that, or, more likely, just go forward enough that they can gloss over exactly what happened barring that Shepard and the Reapers are gone.

Don't expect to see them do special stuff for those who picked Synthesis though. That'll be rendered non-canon.

Bisnic

If it's in the future maybe the ending choice would be something you pick at the start of ME4

Like Patryn said, they can't realistically do that. The green ending for example change the galaxy way too much compared to the blue and red with the whole changed DNA thing, Bioware can't realistically make two different worlds for ME4 depending on what you chose in ME3.

If ME4 is a sequel, i suspect they'll choose either red or blue as the canon ending. Maybe blue so that we can get Geths again.

Das Ace

something somewhere completely different at a different time

Sounds like distant future post-ME3. That is exactly what I want xoxo

Sequel. Very good yes. I'm hoping there's a lot more backstory to be filled in and it doesn't feel bolted on. I wonder if they can make another character we care about as much as Shepard.

Shepard isn't really a character though. People like Shepard because the actual characters like Shepard. As long as they make good side-characters, the main character should be just as likeable / unlikable. Or, they could give N7-soldier M.C. an actual personality / story-arc, but I'm not sure how well the fanbase would react to that.

I can't imagine the headaches one has to go through trying to map out a sequel series with how ME3 ends.

Control and Destroy can potentially be reconciled easily enough but synthesis is a whole different ballgame. Do you retcon the consequences of the ending or do you pick a canon ending and ignore the others? No win situation.

Das Ace

I can't imagine the headaches one has to go through trying to map out a sequel series with how ME3 ends.

Control and Destroy can potentially be reconciled easily enough but synthesis is a whole different ballgame. Do you retcon the consequences of the ending or do you pick a canon ending and ignore the others? No win situation.

I'll be shocked if they don't go with Extended-Cut destroy ending.

I guess this is the general all purpose Mass Effect discussion thread now, so maybe someone here can help me out.

Does anyone know of any comprehensive high resolution texture mods for the first Mass Effect, aside from CDAMJC's Mass Effect 1 New Texture Updates/Improvements Mod? I like a lot of his work, but I don't like where he has gone and changed the original artwork, such as the suits on some of the Normandy Crew, or the texturing on the N7 Armor. I'd love a high resolution mod that's just a bit more faithful to the source material.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Didn't know where else to put it, but we've been listening around, spoken to some people, and have a few (if mostly obvious) details about the next game. Didn't want to make a thread about it, so here.

1. Mass Effect 4 is not called “Mass Effect 4″, but Mass Effect: Subtitle.
Representatives at BioWare have implied as much, but we’ve been told that indeed Montreal’s Mass Effect does not use the title Mass Effect 4. It is currently operating under a subtitle name, which intends to carry across to the commercial build. The subtitle will embody the game’s major themes.

2. Mass Effect 4 is third person.
This might seem obvious, but we’ve included it more as an interesting titbit on the development process. BioWare has, in the past, experimented with different camera perspectives for all three of the mainline Mass Effect trilogy games, not always locking in “third person” from the very beginning. While they’ve too experimented with Mass Effect 4, the decision has been made to play in third person similarly to the original trilogy.

3. Multiplayer returns.
A no brainer. We’ve been told that Mass Effect 3‘s multiplayer was a surprising success for EA, internal buzz very positive. Multiplayer is locked in to return for Mass Effect 4. We’re unable to verify if the mode has changed, or if it’s a similar co-op arena mode to Mass Effect 3.

4. Exploration is a major theme.
Here’s a good one: Mass Effect 4 will focus on many things, but “exploration” is apparently the core focus of both the gameplay and the narrative. This is a core theme that is driving the overall design and direction of the new series at Montreal.

5. New races will appear.
Yep, we’ve got confirmation that this game will not be restricted to the usual Human, Asari, Turian, and so on. Tied in with the prior point, Mass Effect 4 will introduce new species (multiple!) that play major roles in narrative and overall direction. Other species do return, though we’re unable to confirm if any have been removed or downscaled in significance.

6. Sequel to the trilogy is likely.
Unfortunately our sources would not confirm exactly when Mass Effect 4 takes place in the canon. That being said, we were stressed that all signs point to this being a forward moving continuation of the franchise. As BioWare has said many times before, we’ve also been told that all things “Commander Shepard trilogy” will not be continued in this game; the trilogy is over, and this is something new. That being said, the implication is that this narrative is set canonically post-Mass Effect 3. What does this mean for the multiple endings? We don’t know. Oddly, we’ve been told that “flashback” like sequences to franchise/lore canonical events are not out of the question.

7. Nextgen focus.
Some are worried that like Dragon Age: Inquisition Montreal’s Mass Effect 4 would be a cross generation title. This is untrue. At time of writing, Mass Effect 4 is being built on Frostbite 3 exclusively for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. This is being done in order for the core design to flourish on next generation hardware, and not be held back by previous generation limitations. While this does not rule out a rough last generation downport later on, we’ve been told there is currently no intention to do so. Mass Effect 4 is fully “nextgen”.

8. PAX leak unconfirmed, but likely.
We couldn’t help ourselves. Talking with sources, we had to ask about the reputed PAX leak, which claimed Mass Effect 4 would feature a focus on exploring new worlds, two new species, deep customisation, and so on, was the words of a madman or a legitimate leak. Our sources were coy and refused to commit one way or the other, but did emphasise that the leak seemed “believable”. Take that however you wish.

http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/exclusive-possible-information-mass-effect-40991/

JeffG

7. Nextgen focus.
Some are worried that like Dragon Age: Inquisition Montreal’s Mass Effect 4 would be a cross generation title. This is untrue. At time of writing, Mass Effect 4 is being built on Frostbite 3 exclusively for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. This is being done in order for the core design to flourish on next generation hardware, and not be held back by previous generation limitations. While this does not rule out a rough last generation downport later on, we’ve been told there is currently no intention to do so. Mass Effect 4 is fully “nextgen”.

PS3 and 360 are supported by Frostbite 3. So there wouldn't be a "downport". Thats why DA3 is coming to PS3/360/PS4/XBone/PC. Developed on Frostbite 3 on PC. Then outputted to the other platforms

royalan

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
PS3 and 360 are supported by Frostbite 3. So there wouldn't be a "downport". Thats why DA3 is coming to PS3/360/PS4/XBone/PC. Developed on Frostbite 3 on PC. Then outputted to the other platforms

You misunderstand. A game built with cross generation support in mind from the onset will require designers to make concessions where necessary so the overall vision does not exceed compatibility with expected hardware. This severely impacts concepts such as level size, density, interactivity, physics properties, and so on; a game cannot be built with huge, highly detailed levels with complex physics as an integral part of the design itself and then be downported to prior generation hardware with the content intact. It's more than just graphics. Dragon Age: Inquisition is an example of game that's being built so the game can, in all respects, run on both the last generation and the current. But the graphical ceiling is much higher on current gen hardware. Battlefield 4 is an example of a game that similarly runs on both generations, but the prior generation build requires rather large sacrifices be made to the multiplayer design in order to run (smaller maps, lower player count).

I've been told that with Mass Effect 4 it is not a case of Dragon Age: Inquisition or Battlefield 4, but instead that the game at a design level is being built exclusively for XONE/PS4/PC tier hardware. The designers are not restricted in scope, presentation, density, or design by previous generation hardware. It's not a crossgen game, in other words.

Quentyn

Didn't know where else to put it, but we've been listening around, spoken to some people, and have a few (if mostly obvious) details about the next game. Didn't want to make a thread about it, so here.

http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/exclusive-possible-information-mass-effect-40991/

Sounds good. While watching the DA:I trailer yesterday all I could think off was how amazing the next Mass Effect is gonna look. Hopefully we get at least a short teaser at E3.

Jhoan

All aboard the hype train. Next gen is not surprising at this point. Emphasis on exploration is a huge plus in my book. Love games where I can explore stuff e.g. Dragon's Dogma. I'm suprised that Game Informer hasn't done a cover story of it yet.

E3 pretty much guaranteed. Will they reveal their, or in Game Informer (or another mag) ? Also, I remember hearing about the guy that leaked the Citadel DLC saying that the next ME would take place during the first contact war, did anything ever come of that?

adj_noun

4. Exploration is a major theme.
Here’s a good one: Mass Effect 4 will focus on many things, but “exploration” is apparently the core focus of both the gameplay and the narrative. This is a core theme that is driving the overall design and direction of the new series at Montreal.

Yesssssssssssss

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
What I really want is more planet exploration and decent side-quests.

Seriously, Mass Effect 3 has the shittiest side-quests of any game I have ever played.

Now that I think of it, you are right. The "quests" were horseshit. 90% of time you have to go through fcking loading screens to get to a certain part of the citadel and talk to someone.

I hope they go back to Mass Effect 1 planet exploration. Nice big area with your old Mako. that was so surreal. I loved Mass Effect 1 when it came out. Sadly it hasn't aged well.

Sanctuary

if Bioware doesn't want to make Mass Effect RPGs anymore, can they please hire someone who does? because I fucking loved Mass Effect 1.

great moment: landing on the moon in ME1. great skybox.

also Virmire probably tops my favorite levels/sections of all games this gen. great great section, rivaled only by the endgame. shame about the rest of the series eh?

Yeah, Mass Effect was great until Mass Effect 2 (the best in the series) arrived. The original game is really janky on so many levels that it's hard to replay it for anything other than the story and choices that take effect in the next game. Three was just a straight up Gunbro game that bored me to tears after one playthrough. I was so drained by the end that the ending didn't even phase me that much. I just wanted it to be over.

Dat Mass Effect 2 opening. Shit was GOAT.

Yep. It's one of the few game scenes up to that point that really had any kind of true emotional impact. I think the only other one that was as impactful was when Aeris (Aerith) got kebobbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom