• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea the PS3 users had the short end of a stick. But those seem like issues that could be fixed by using a patch on the existing client. And now they want money just to fix those issues?
Yeah, bioware had a hard time with Ps3's split ram. But, fuck no, no amount of patches could fix all the fucked up things wrong with the ME games on Ps3.

Other than the technical issues I dont see how it gives players a fresh start. Anyone can go buy the trilogy right now and experience it the way it was meant to be.
The fresh start=the same excuse developers and publishers use to remaster last gen games. X% of Ps3/360 owners never played X franchise, so we will remaster the old games to hype em up for the next installment.

Although I was not aware that the trilogy remaster is slated to come out AFTER Me4. Wtf?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, bioware had a hard time with Ps3's split ram. But, fuck no, no amount of patches could fix all the fucked up things wrong with the ME games on Ps3.

The fresh start=the same excuse developers and publishers use to remaster last gen games. X% of Ps3/360 owners never played X franchise, so we will remaster the old games to hype em up for the next installment.

Although I was not aware that the trilogy remaster is slated to come out AFTER Me4. Wtf?

There is nothing "slated" officially. It's just that, following comments made by EA, it seems like they, right now, are only at the steps of "Yeah, we're THINKING of doing that. It will probably happen". Which means nothing has started yet, and with Andromeda presumably coming in the first quarter of 2017... well... good luck.

They will probably market it as "Relive the events that occurred prior to the massive hit Mass Effect : Andromeda! See what caused humanity and other alien races to flee their galaxy, with these new remastered versions of three greatly acclaimed games!"

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Other than the technical issues I dont see how it gives players a fresh start. Anyone can go buy the trilogy right now and experience it the way it was meant to be.
See you're kind of missing the point, the convenience of native controller support in addition to any remastered graphics is plenty enough reason for many to rebuy the Trilogy...I have a beast rig but Mass Effect will ALWAYS be a controller and couch adventure for me.

Also for PS4/Xbox1 owners it's a chance to finally put that PS3/Xbox360 to rest, it's still in my lounge only for Mass Effect (I hope save games carry over lol).

I wouldn't expect any sort of gameplay or mechnical overhaul of the first game. I've asked about that, and that would entail fundamental changes in the game's design, combat scenarios, level layout, etc which would require far too much work.

DevilDog

I wouldn't expect any sort of gameplay or mechnical overhaul of the first game. I've asked about that, and that would entail fundamental changes in the game's design, combat scenarios, level layout, etc which would require far too much work.

Thanks for letting me know. I never expected an overhaul, maybe fine tune some glitches with the conversations/movement and remake the inventory UI so we can manage it better, not having to delete each item one by one or something.

So what we are looking is controller support/ couple of fixes to improve framerate and maybe some better textures?

See you're kind of missing the point, the convenience of native controller support in addition to any remastered graphics is plenty enough reason for many to rebuy the Trilogy...I have a beast rig but Mass Effect will ALWAYS be a controller and couch adventure for me.

Also for PS4/Xbox1 owners it's a chance to finally put that PS3/Xbox360 to rest, it's still in my lounge only for Mass Effect (I hope save games carry over lol).

I'd imagine a lot more people would buy it if they improved the gameplay/UI. Including me.

If they don't plan on doing much rework with the first game (which i'm fine with), then I could easily see the trilogy coming out before Andromeda in 2017. They essentially have the foundation with the existing trilogy bundle, all they have to do is add in the rest of the missing DLC and insert controller support..

Thanks for letting me know. I never expected an overhaul, maybe fine tune some glitches with the conversations/movement and remake the inventory UI so we can manage it better, not having to delete each item one by one or something.

So what we are looking is controller support/ couple of fixes to improve framerate and maybe some better textures?
Doing some tweaking on the UI or something similar could be possible I guess, but some others were mentioning changing combat mechanics or the Mako, etc. I'd expect typical things like higher resolution, higher framerate, better textures, improved lighting.

If they don't plan on doing much rework with the first game (which i'm fine with), then I could easily see the trilogy coming out before Andromeda in 2017. They essentially have the foundation with the existing trilogy bundle, all they have to do is add in the rest of the missing DLC and insert controller support..
They're all hands on deck on Andromeda right now. I'm told they'll see what happens after that releases. It's not as small an effort as you think.

Patryn

To be honest this seems possible with a patch, a remaster means you're probably recreating a lot of assets, it seems like a huge money waste for just a performance boost and controller support, on games that run fine on PC and play better with a mouse and keyboard. Unless I'm missing some serious technical issues?

That it cannot be overstated how strongly I disagree that it plays better with a mouse and a keyboard?

So what we are looking is controller support/ couple of fixes to improve framerate and maybe some better textures?.

And on current gen consoles? Let me lay this out for you flat: I do not want to play this on a PC. My PC is dated, and I'm not looking to upgrade it for a bit, while I have a perfectly fine PS4 sitting there.

Cranster

Banned
Aslong as the remaster has a stable framerate I'd be happy.

DevilDog

Doing some tweaking on the UI or something similar could be possible I guess, but some others were mentioning changing combat mechanics or the Mako, etc. I'd expect typical things like higher resolution, higher framerate, better textures, improved lighting.

Thanks a lot shinobi, it's good to have you here communicating ,and, you seem to have concrete contacts within EA.

That it cannot be overstated how strongly I disagree that it plays better with a mouse and a keyboard?

Haha, I guess its a matter of opinion but having real time control 12 powers at the same time on the keyboard+mouse is too much to not have. Plus mouse is so good for aiming and headshots.

And on current gen consoles?

Right, I keep forgetting about that.
I would also like to add that I think its extremely bad that people have to rebuy games they already owned on their previous systems. But that is another story.

Bisnic

While controller vs KB/M is mostly a matter of preferences and what's more confortable to use depending on the player, how exactly is KB/M worse than controller for Mass Effect? I mean you got faster & more precise aiming, faster 360 degrees rotation to look your surroundings, plus you can use 8 powers shortcuts rather than 4(?).

While controller vs KB/M is mostly a matter of preferences and what's more confortable to use depending on the player, how exactly is KB/M worse than controller for Mass Effect? I mean you got faster & more precise aiming, faster 360 degrees rotation to look your surroundings, plus you can use 8 powers shortcuts rather than 4(?).

Boils down to preference really. I've found I had better reaction time with the power wheel and just using powers in general with a controller than with a keyboard. I'm playing ME3 in my current trilogy run through right now and I'm constantly second-guessing what button I'm pressing for an ability on the keyboard.

Bisnic

Boils down to preference really. I've found I had better reaction time with the power wheel and just using powers in general with a controller than with a keyboard. I'm playing ME3 in my current trilogy run through right now and I'm constantly second-guessing what button I'm pressing for an ability on the keyboard.

That's why you put some powers on the extra buttons of your mouse. ;) Assuming you don't just have a standard 2 buttons mouse lol.

That's why you put some powers on the extra buttons of your mouse. ;) Assuming you don't just have a standard 2 buttons mouse lol.

Just the traditional middle mouse button and two on the left side, which i've assigned to the "use/run/take cover action". Mice with 15 thousand buttons just make things worse for me.

There is nothing "slated" officially. It's just that, following comments made by EA, it seems like they, right now, are only at the steps of "Yeah, we're THINKING of doing that. It will probably happen". Which means nothing has started yet, and with Andromeda presumably coming in the first quarter of 2017... well... good luck.

They will probably market it as "Relive the events that occurred prior to the massive hit Mass Effect : Andromeda! See what caused humanity and other alien races to flee their galaxy, with these new remastered versions of three greatly acclaimed games!"
fuck that shit man...the uncharted trilogy remaster was released the same year it was announced iirc...just throw ME at bluepoint and call it a fucking day!

Big Nikus

I'm playing it for the first time with mouse/keyboard and I like it. Since yesterday I'm also using Voice Attack to give orders to my squadmates, that's fun :D (it will be more useful in 2 and 3 though)
The only thing I'm missing is the rumble. I love rumble, and a big vibration during a Biotic Charge was always amazing.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
They're all hands on deck on Andromeda right now. I'm told they'll see what happens after that releases. It's not as small an effort as you think.

Why not palm it off to the kings of the remaster/PC ports Bluepoint or NIxxes?

I'd trust them with my first born let alone a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster (well, perhaps not the newborn...lol).

WHAT?! I want it this year! I want it holiday this year! I want it now, now, NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

image.php

Why not palm it off to the kings of the remaster/PC ports Bluepoint or NIxxes?

I'd trust them with my first born let alone a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster (well, perhaps not the newborn...lol).
Those studios could be busy with other projects on their hands. Bioware likes to oversee things too. We'll see!

Banned

I wonder if it'll get a PC release or just a console thing?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It could have better compatibility with modern GPUs and built in controller support.

A few tweaks to the graphics, perhaps some QoL improvements re: inventory and proper controller support and I'd be all over it: having all the DLC in one place without having to re-buy them all again too (have everything on Xbox360 at the moment, refuse to pay for everything all over again in full retail).

$60 all up for an awesome package at Xmas, that'd be super pls BioWare ;)

Didn't Edge of Reality oversee the Dragon Age: Origins console ports for Bioware?
You're right they did. They could allow another developer to do the remaster (I'd trust Bluepoint more than anyone) but based off my conversations it sounded like they'd want to be more personal with this one but we'll see.

diaspora

It could have better compatibility with modern GPUs and built in controller support.
The compatibility is no better or worse than any modern game at this point- it runs with without issue on any AMD/NVIDIA GPU from 2009 (when I first got into the series on PC) onwards. Controller support exists via mods... I mean the only thing I see realistically is a Skyrim Remastered scenario where they make it free because only a sucker would drop $60+ on it again and even Bethesda knows it.

Bisnic

I think the main selling point of a remastered version(other than being playable on PS4/XB1 and controller support on PC), would be that all 3 games DLCs are included. No bullshit like paying 10-15$ for a single piece of DLC for 4-6 years old games, then multiplying this by 3x-5x because Mass Effect does have a lot of nice DLCs.

...just throw ME at bluepoint and call it a fucking day!

I just hope it's not like the Uncharted Collection in that it's missing the ME3 multiplayer. I hope it also better integrates some of the dlc, so that I'm not having to install a mod that blocks the Arrival dlc notification from happening before the end of the game. Also, this would never happen but I would love if ME2's cut content was incorporated into the collection some how. Some kind of game commentary would be great too.

I just hope it's not like the Uncharted Collection in that it's missing the ME3 multiplayer. I hope it also better integrates some of the dlc, so that I'm not having to install a mod that blocks the Arrival dlc notification from happening before the end of the game. Also, this would never happen but I would love if ME2's cut content was incorporated into the collection some how. Some kind of game commentary would be great too.
i don't think uncharted's missing mp had anything to do with who was developing it.

it was sony commenting saying "We didn't want to fracture the current player pool and community" - which is a bullshit statement in and of itself, but if it would be I think on EA if there was no mp

Given that the multiplayer for ME3 is still very popular to this day I would have a hard time believing that they would exclude it somehow. Hell I would be surprised if they weren't still making a fair chunk of money off the MT crates. God knows how much I dumped into Premium Spectre Crates.

Patryn

To think that Andromeda is less than a year away and we still don't have screenshots to compare to ME1 beautiful shots like this one is a crime.

I keep going back and forth on this in this thread, but after what's happening to Hello Games and No Man's Sky, do you blame Bioware for keeping a lid on stuff until the game is nearly finished?

At least we can be fairly confident that what they show is what we'll be getting.

Bisnic

I keep going back and forth on this in this thread, but after what's happening to Hello Games and No Man's Sky, do you blame Bioware for keeping a lid on stuff until the game is nearly finished?

At least we can be fairly confident that what they show is what we'll be getting.

I haven't played NMS, but isn't the main problem due to the developper making promises too easily and going "Oops, guess we talked too much!" when it got released, and not related to media?. I mean, showing a bunch of space scenery for Andromeda sure isn't going to cause a NMS scenario.

And let's be honest... Bioware is no stranger to this with what happened with ME3. They made a lot of promises they couldn't keep and it blew up in their face for months. They had to make a free extended cut, a DLC that better explained the ending(somewhat) and another fanservice DLC that can also act as a "happy ending" if you wish.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's funny how all of the sudden everyone now assumes that a remaster is no longer a question of "if" but now a question of "when."

Even diaspora who was the biggest "no way in hell" person seems to have gone silent.

It's certainly not a guarantee, but I have to say it's some nice news.

Also, nobody should object to Bioware wanting to be more closely involved as they have the knowledge, feedback and understanding to actually tweak the games to be more current gen friendly. While Mass Effect is fine, I do feel that they could do SOME tweaking to the game that wouldn't be a major overhaul. Tweaking the menus, etc are doable.

I hope andromeda is as eye-orgasmic as ME1 and 2. ME3 didn't quite nail it outside the Citadel, I don't know why.

Strange, personally Mass Effect 2 by far is the least visually pleasing of the three games.

You either get the dark corridors of omega and the collector ship locations for half the game

NDJq5Zi.png

or the run-down bland texture terminus systems planets

PpSvkKb.png

The only locations I actually liked in ME2 were the Citadel and Illium/Shadow Broker locales.

Karl2177

Strange, personally Mass Effect 2 by far is the least visually pleasing of the three games.

You either get the dark corridors of omega and the collector ship locations for half the game

NDJq5Zi.png

PpSvkKb.png

The only locations I actually liked in ME2 were the Citadel and Illium/Shadow Broker locales.
I loved Omega, because it was so grungy. I saw the pristine, pretty parts of the galaxy in the first game, so going to the seedy underbelly was awesome. While it wasn't pleasing in the normal sense, it was pleasing to see that the galaxy wasn't perfect.

The compatibility is no better or worse than any modern game at this point- it runs with without issue on any AMD/NVIDIA GPU from 2009 (when I first got into the series on PC) onwards. Controller support exists via mods... I mean the only thing I see realistically is a Skyrim Remastered scenario where they make it free because only a sucker would drop $60+ on it again and even Bethesda knows it.

That's not entirely true...

Currently, you have to force most graphics options through driver or INI

Surround Sound only works under Windows XP by default. Requires tweaking the openAL program to fix.

Your squad, enemies, and objects can become black blobs. You have to disable lighting in the command console to fix it. (On AMD processors, so not GPU but still a compatibility issue)

Sometimes texture caching messes Therum textures. The ground just isn't there... You have to delete your shader cache to fix.

And sometime the shaders stop compiling.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Mass_Effect

Sometime PhysX just stops working and the game says to install the latest, but it doesn't work with the latest Physx... Only legacy...

And sometimes I have to go in and delete the legacy PhysX driver and reinstall Mass Effect because another game replaced the old one with another version... Its like the older games are fighting for scraps...

Also, a proper 64bit executable, ultrawide, and multimonitor support would be nice.

DevilDog

The normandy is incredible, so is Omega, Illium and the illusive man's base. Something about the illumination in ME2 made everything appear way better than it should. That heavy dark lighting was so good.

ME3's pictures and vistas were too clear, missed character by trying to be realistic and clean. Maybe it was the Unreal engine being streched to its limits.

i don't think the masses knew much about no man's sky before jumping into it either

Daemul

Welp, Bioware Forums are dead, you can't post anymore :(

As much bad rep ( most of it deserved) as the place got, it was still the source of many fun moments over the years. I will always remember Stanley Woo and Chris Priestly for spicing up things on the forums, the shit those guys have to deal with, I don't blame them for losing their cool lol. As cancerous as they were the Romance sections did provide some good memories, the waifu wars that went on were absolutely hilarious, and I'll never forget the day the Miranda fans got the Romance subsection closed because of their infighting lol.

BSN was a special experience, especially back in it's height when devs would post on there a lot and mingle with the fans, but sadly the TORtanic, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 period was really rough and strained the relationship between the devs and the fans, leading to much of the toxicity you still see today, so I'm not surprised it's getting closed, but man I'll miss it.

There's a Unofficial forum that's popped up which most of the active BSN userbase has moved to it seems, so if anyone wants to join then just head over there. I'm not sure I'll sign up though, things won't really feel the same.

RIP BSN.

Welp, Bioware Forums are dead, you can't post anymore :(

As much bad rep ( most of it deserved) as the place got, it was still the source of many fun moments over the years. I will always remember Stanley Woo and Chris Priestly for spicing up things on the forums, the shit those guys have to deal with, I don't blame them for losing their cool lol. As cancerous as they were the Romance sections did provide some good memories, the waifu wars that went on were absolutely hilarious, and I'll never forget the day the Miranda fans got the Romance subsection closed because of their infighting lol.

BSN was a special experience, especially back in it's height when devs would post on there a lot and mingle with the fans, but sadly the TORtanic, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 period was really rough and strained the relationship between the devs and the fans, leading to much of the toxicity you still see today, so I'm not surprised it's getting closed, but man I'll miss it.

There's a Unofficial forum that's popped up which most of the active BSN userbase has moved to it seems, so if anyone wants to join then just head over there. I'm not sure I'll sign up though, things won't really feel the same.

RIP BSN.
I actually created and maintained the main Miranda fan group on old BSN. We were always getting into fights with the evil "Talimancers".

Not my finest moments lol.

Talking about "Talimancers", wasn't one of them that actually made the biochemical analysis of Tali's sweat? xD

It was one of those rare glorious moments the BSN forums had. XD

Bisnic

Playing the more recent Deus Ex reminded me of the terrible animations and lip sync from the old Mass Effect games, maybe even worse in some cases? Lip sync is literally non-existent. Game is great, but in regard of animation, it's like a trip back to 10 years ago.

Anyway, Shinobi... you've seen Andromeda in action right? Are the ingame animations going to be as good as what we saw in the trailer with the Asari? It was only 2 seconds long, but I liked what I saw. Felt almost CGI quality. How about lip sync? I'd rather avoid a repeat of Deus Ex or previous Mass Effect games lol.

Patryn

Playing the more recent Deus Ex reminded me of the terrible animations and lip sync from the old Mass Effect games, maybe even worse in some cases? Lip sync is literally non-existent. Game is great, but in regard of animation, it's like a trip back to 10 years ago.

Anyway, Shinobi... you've seen Andromeda in action right? Are the ingame animations going to be as good as what we saw in the trailer with the Asari? It was only 2 seconds long, but I liked what I saw. Felt almost CGI quality. How about lip sync? I'd rather avoid a repeat of Deus Ex or previous Mass Effect games lol.

I feel like the lip synch in Dragon Age: Inquisition was decent, and that's probably the floor for how good it will be in Andromeda, although obviously I expect it to be somewhat improved given it's been a couple years, and they don't have the previous console gen's limitations to worry about.

DE:MD has uniquely poor lipsynching, imo. Bioware games suffer from the fact that aside from a few key scenes, most conversations use the same canned animations, which makes things look kind of unnatural. The lipsynching was tolerable, but everything else was meh.

Deus Ex is another level of bad. The game is good, but holy crapola are the conversations poorly animated.

Bisnic

DE:MD has uniquely poor lipsynching, imo. Bioware games suffer from the fact that aside from a few key scenes, most conversations use the same canned animations, which makes things look kind of unnatural. The lipsynching was tolerable, but everything else was meh.

Deus Ex is another level of bad. The game is good, but holy crapola are the conversations poorly animated.

Before launch:
"Just animate the mouth opening with random lip movement and that'll be good enough. Surely nobody will notice or care".

After launch:
"Woops."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom