• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyun Sai

So I did the survey for the Beta of Mass Effect Andromeda (as I'm a big fan of ME3 MP), so I have to ask : is it longer than a job application survey ???

Patryn

Um... now that you mention it, there actually kind of isn't one. Hmm.

He's a fun character, but they really don't *do* much with him, do they?

I've long held that I would have rather had one of the rejects join the team, because that would give you a whole story about him dealing with that rejection and what is his place as opposed to Grunt simply being the "ultimate" Krogan.

So I did the survey for the Beta of Mass Effect Andromeda (as I'm a big fan of ME3 MP), so I have to ask : is it longer than a job application survey ???

Depends on the job tbh. The application to work at Kroger's is way, way longer, but, interestingly, I've applied to a couple defense contractors for internships and those were p. short, even in comparison.

Food for thought.

I've long held that I would have rather had one of the rejects join the team, because that would give you a whole story about him dealing with that rejection and what is his place as opposed to Grunt simply being the "ultimate" Krogan.
That could a been cool, yeah. Still, I don't think that the issue is structural - there's plenty of cool stuff to explore in Grunt's character, they just *don't*.

diaspora

Aight, time for one last, final playthrough of Mass Effect 3 and DLC. Then that's it, to the uninstall it goes.

a1e.png

DevilDog

Andromeda is not set out to replace anything. Play both.

That being said, I don't think they will ever make characters that the community loves as much as characters in the original OT.

I suppose it's a good thing the briefing is coming out today and not tommorrow because it probably would've been lost and ignored in the Nintendo Switch information blowout.

They've vaguely hinted at some undiscussed features/abilities that the Nomad has. Maybe we'll get to finally see that in the video.

Personally I want to see how it interacts with terrain at a 90 degree angle. Superior than a skyrim horse or bust.

Maledict

Heh, the Amazon Alexa mass effect Easter egg actually works. Just tried it now and it's very odd hearing Quarian come out of the speakers!

Now to confuse the hell out of the bf this evening...

For a ship supposedly smaller than the Normandy SR1 it sure seems to have a massive interior. Also that captains cabin looks like it takes up half the ship.

Lots of skins for the Nomad but all I want is one that makes it look like the M35. Would've been a cool novelty pre-order bonus.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
For a ship supposedly smaller than the Normandy SR1 it sure seems to have a massive interior. Also that captains cabin looks like it takes up half the ship.

Lots of skins for the Nomad but all I want is one that makes it look like the M35. Would've been a cool novelty pre-order bonus.

I'm guessing there is a lof of the Normandy interior that we never saw due to last gen technology? I mean, there sure wasn't a lot of beds for such a big crew.

I wish Bioware would actually bother to come out with official cross-sections for the ships, because I'm pretty sure all the ship interiors are actually out of scale with the exterior due to camera collision issues. That said, the Tempest actually does better convincing you that the ship is small with some of the rooms, but the bridge, lab, and quarters just fuck everything up.

I'm guessing there is a lof of the Normandy interior that we never saw due to last gen technology? I mean, there sure wasn't a lot of beds for such a big crew.

I could maybe see something missing in the SR1. It definitely doesn't make much sense design-wise when you consider there's escape pods somewhere in there.

But the design for the SR2 is very clearly spelled out Map-wise. Especially when you look at the loading screens for using the elevator in Mass Effect 2.

There's 24 beds (12 bunk beds) in the crew quarters on the SR2, and even less crew than that walking around or working. Given standard military shift rotation I see things working out fairly reasonably on the bed front.

Unless this is harry potter and some magic deck and 3 quarters exists between the crew and engineering decks.

You're a wizard commander shepard

DevilDog

Briefing videos have been consistently good.

Regarding the art style though, everything seems... meh, once again. Where are the inspired designed like the Citadel, Omega, Virmire, Illium, Therum (yes therum)?

The tempest looks sleek at least.

Briefing videos have been consistently good.

Regarding the art style though, everything seems... meh, once again. Where are the inspired designed like the Citadel, Omega, Virmire, Illium, Therum (yes therum)?

The tempest looks sleek at least.

Yeah, the tempest looks great, although perhaps a bit too reminiscent of the Normandy.

What's inspired about the "artstyle" in the examples you summed up that's missing from what we've seen in this video though?

DevilDog

Yeah, the tempest looks great, although perhaps a bit too reminiscent of the Normandy.

What's inspired about the "artstyle" in the examples you summed up that's missing from what we've seen in this video though?

My biggest gripe is with the interior of the tempest. Everything looks blueish-gray and washed out, and it's got nothing else to contrast it with.
I liked the quarters and meeting room where there is at least some wooden floors but it's not enough.

I haven't got anything else to explain how it feels, for now. But the art overall has been very underwhelming so far.

Dany

Banned
My biggest gripe is with the interior of the tempest. Everything looks blueish-gray and washed out, and it's got nothing else to contrast it with.
I liked the quarters and meeting room where there is at least some wooden floors but it's not enough.

I haven't got anything else to explain how it feels, for now. But the art overall has been very underwhelming so far.

I love it. Sleek future aesthetic. They toned down the "blue/orange" which i'm okay with since it was so over done in the first trilogy.

DevilDog

I love it. Sleek future aesthetic. They toned down the "blue/orange" which i'm okay with since it was so over done in the first trilogy.

Yeah now there is just blue. I'm getting BF3 metro flashbacks.

Honestly, it feels like its trying to hard to appear futuristic.

Dany

Banned
Yeah now there is just blue. I'm getting BF3 metro flashbacks.

Honestly, it feels like its trying to hard to appear futuristic.

I mean it looks pretty effective and futuristic in my opinion. We'll see how the rest of the game appears but the art style of andromeda seems consistent and I like it quite a bit.

Wouldn't the true contrast emerge from the sleek, futuristic interiors of the tempest and whatever world you're dropping off on; or even what will probably be some wild exteriors able to be seen from inside the ship, given the immensely large windows? And besides, I can identify a ton of contrasting going on regardless. Off the top of my head there were definitely some red lights and wires, orange screens, red progress bar-type elements.

Also, keep in mind the weird blurring focusing effect on the edges of the screen that won't be present during gameplay.

I'm not sure if you should be trusting your senses if you think this and the tempest aesthetic are in any way alike.

I'm not entirely sure why EA would even have control over that account and the main BioWare twitter account to begin with.

There's a community manager for BioWare, why aren't they heading up the accounts? With the BioWare forums gone does that person just sit around twiddling their thumbs?

Mindlog

The Tempest looks more future retro than the Normandy did tbh.
I really like the new ship.

Mostly because I'm hoping the bridge is successful in giving us a proper context to our journeys. One of my most requested features for a long time. Can't gush enough about that little big detail.

http://i.picpar.com/uckc.jpg[/IMG

Holy fuck LOL[/QUOTE]
Yep.

[quote="DeadlyParasite, post: 228164672"]I'm not entirely sure why EA would even have control over that account and the main BioWare twitter account to begin with.

There's a community manager for BioWare, why aren't they heading up the accounts? With the BioWare forums gone does that person just sit around twiddling their thumbs?[/QUOTE]
The community managers do more than just social media. They work with quite a bit of the marketing, events, fan meetups, focus groups, etc. They're always busy.

Worth noting that the Tempest is largely unarmored, and doesn't have a large main gun like the Normandy. That probably frees up a pretty considerable amount of space.

X-Frame

9kN0p48.gif

Fuck, I love the new pilot.

Do we know if it's possible to drive the nomad in and out the cargo bay in real time once you land? or there's no information about that yet.

I read something about a seamless landing but I can't remember.

These are by far my favorite ME:A videos so far. All of these mission briefing ones but this one especially.

2+ months come onnnnn.

Someone pointed this out on the Mass Effect subreddit.

Qfie1P5.png

So the Nomad has shields, and there's a last ditch blast that pushes enemies away if it hits 0?

We better get some neat ragdoll effects.

Here's a question for all. This game is act one of a trilogy with no ties to the Mass Effect trilogy. So as far as galactic politics goes, what will be the collective frame of reference among the people who populate this universe? And will at some point does anyone see the writers trying to unite their trilogies incrementally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom