• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Nexus arrive earlier than the pods with the bulk of the population and the race's respective pathfinders? I thought that was the reason why the one lady Ryder threatens during the gameplay trailer had time to desert and be all antagonistic and shit.

MBu4sp5.jpg

Obligatory low-brow "We're 69 days away from Andromeda" comment.

tumblr_m3ikgfmHtc1qfwnh0.jpg

But seriously I look at those double digit numbers and realize just how close we are to this game coming out.

CLBridges

So hyped for March! I know the single player stuff will be awesome. And, if the multiplayer further builds on what they did in ME3, I probably won't have to buy anymore games until fall.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Nexus arrive earlier than the pods with the bulk of the population and the race's respective pathfinders? I thought that was the reason why the one lady Ryder threatens during the gameplay trailer had time to desert and be all antagonistic and shit.

I don't think it's the bulk of the population, nor the pathfinders.

Nexus goes first to establish a galactic foothold, act as a docking resource for subsequent arcs, and provide military support as necessary. While the arks aim to repopulate and mostly house civilians, the Nexus is more of a galactic centrepiece bringing all the pieces together, and able to support the arks and populations with appropriate personnel (engineers, soldiers, etc). The Nexus will also be a temporary home, like a mini-Citadel, for those waking out of cryo and waiting for colonies to be established on garden worlds. Pathfinders are also expected to regularly use the Nexus, but as far as I'm aware

Jien Garson, founder of the Andromeda Initiative, will be on board the Nexus. The Nexus arrives unfinished, is expected to be constructed into something larger, then the arks will dock with it.

Daemul

Man, how can people whine about BioWare's animations on Ryder when the jank has brought us gems like this?

People have always whined about Biowares jank animation though, that Shepard perv face practically became a meme due to its ridiculousness. People posted that shit everywhere back in the day, similar to how people are posting that Sara Ryder gif everywhere at the moment.

The Shepard perv face meme was funnier though tbh, it would always pop up in Romance threads on BSN, never failed to crack me up.

Alright, awesome!

I know people don't seem to enjoy their current marketing strategy, but I really hope they keep erring on the side of no spoilers, given my lack of self-control.

Interesting that they decided to announce the briefing video ahead of time. Maybe they realized people were tired of sitting around waiting a month or longer for another one.

Maledict

Around here it is, I just don't engage in conversation about it anymore. It brings out a lot of toxic attitudes and behaviour and it doesn't change anyone's minds in the end.

Around here?

Are we in a different thread? ;-) The ME community on GAF heavily favours ME1 over the other games, and usually tells us off for not preferring it. It's the general gamers who don't prefer it.

DevilDog

To be honest I've lost count of how many times I've replayed this series.

And everytime I tell myself "This time, I'm going to make different choices"

And then I never do, feelsgoodman Wrex is the best.

I find it nice that even through all the pre-release grind and crunch time the devs can pop in on twitter and either give updates on progress or give a shoutout to the men and women who are probably working overtime to get this game out by March.

A few have popped in here from time-to-time and I know Aaryn Flynn was probably chased away by the negativity in the General Discussion forum but I hope they know that at least some of us care.

I wonder do devs at BioWare get some kind of vacation after a game launches or do they immediately jump straight into the planning phase of development for the next game?

goishen

For anybody on PC that was wondering what the hell they meant in the latest video about holding down a button (say for Flamethrower) and thinking that it might be too difficult. Ian Frazier just replied to a post of mine over here.

http://bsn.boards.net/thread/26/effect-andromeda-twitter-discussion-thread?page=457&scrollTo=212224

I was going to wait on this until some later gameplay reveals, but eh, it's been a long day and I'm feeling generous, so here you go, goishen !

The way we avoid these pita input problems is pretty straightforward: with more options for the player.

You can rebind your keys/mouse buttons however you like on PC, and we offer specific options for certain aspects of our input and gameplay to let you optimize your ergonomics. I won't go into all of the options now, but here's an example that pertains to your question:

Take the Flamethrower power.
By default, Flamethrower shoots gouts of flames from your omni-tool as long as the relevant power button is held down.
If you're using a controller, or if you have that power mapped to mouse4 for example, then you probably want to leave this power on its default (hold) settings.

If you've got this power mapped to the 3 key, on the other hand, then you'd need to use WASD to move and hold down the 3 key at the same time to shoot your flames. Some players seem to be fine with this when we run playtests, but personally I find it pretty awkward. For players like me (and you, from the sounds of it), we have an option that takes all sustained powers like Flamethrower and switches them from a Hold mechanic into a Toggle mechanic (like how Flamer worked in ME3). With Toggle enabled for sustained powers, you could just hit 3 to start the flames and either wait for it to end on its own or hit 3 again to stop it early.
PITA situation averted. :)

Hope that helps!

RoKKeR

Replaying ME1 right now, first time replaying it.

Currently on Virmire, forgot about the Wrex conflict. Was underleveled and what the fuck Ashley just caps Wrex??? Jesus! What a bitch. I know who I'm sacrificing this run lmao.

Oh well, it's a quick, "no-takebacksies" playthrough and it'll be interesting to see what things are like without him. Still though... damn.

Replaying ME1 right now, first time replaying it.

Currently on Virmire, forgot about the Wrex conflict. Was underleveled and what the fuck Ashley just caps Wrex??? Jesus! What a bitch. I know who I'm sacrificing this run lmao.

Oh well, it's a quick, "no-takebacksies" playthrough and it'll be interesting to see what things are like without him. Still though... damn.

To be fair, remember that Shepard tells Ashley to "be ready" when he/she goes over to talk to Wrex, so she just did what you told her to do: take Wrex down if he seems to be not willing to listen and settle down. Not to mention, if you had actually selected the right dialog and/or been nice to Wrex and spent more time with him (and getting his family armor back), he wouldn't have had to die. So really, it's all your fault :p

Did they ever put up any more of those Andromeda Initiative videos or do they still only have the first two? I wanna get my helmet DLC unlocked.
They have a second one up, with another coming out tomorrow.

The helmet is probably something you could unlock in the base game with a save editor.

Renekton

Does anyone know what was the point of Grunt in ME2?

I thought his arc might be some extension of Okeer's post-Genophage philosophy, but the whole thing just died with Okeer.

Same with the perfect krogan thing, which went nowhere. The puberty exam mission somehow glorified Shepard more than Grunt himself.

I thought his arc might be some extension of Okeer's post-Genophage philosophy, but the whole thing just died with Okeer.

Same with the perfect krogan thing, which went nowhere. The puberty exam mission somehow glorified Shepard more than Grunt himself.

No idea, but his inexperience is kind of charming in ME3 and during the Citadel DLC.

Also personally I love his design. Wrex is great but grunts armour looks so much more stylish.

RoKKeR

To be fair, remember that Shepard tells Ashley to "be ready" when he/she goes over to talk to Wrex, so she just did what you told her to do: take Wrex down if he seems to be not willing to listen and settle down. Not to mention, if you had actually selected the right dialog and/or been nice to Wrex and spent more time with him (and getting his family armor back), he wouldn't have had to die. So really, it's all your fault :p
Oh yeah, definitely my fault! Haha jumped the gun on that mission before doing other side quests/bonding with crew members as I kind of forgot that was one of the major ones. Ah well.

Man, that first moment talking to Sovereign...Chills...If there is anything remotely that invokes the same level of fear, wondering, and mystery in Andromeda then it will be wonderful.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aight, time for one last, final playthrough of Mass Effect 3 and DLC. Then that's it, to the uninstall it goes.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I find it nice that even through all the pre-release grind and crunch time the devs can pop in on twitter and either give updates on progress or give a shoutout to the men and women who are probably working overtime to get this game out by March.

A few have popped in here from time-to-time and I know Aaryn Flynn was probably chased away by the negativity in the General Discussion forum but I hope they know that at least some of us care.

I wonder do devs at BioWare get some kind of vacation after a game launches or do they immediately jump straight into the planning phase of development for the next game?

Most will probably go on vacation. Other crew will work on DLC and patches.

Patryn

I've never played the series as a Renegade despite numerous playthroughs.

The only reason I have the Renegade achievement for ME1 is that I exploited the hell out of the Lorik Qui'nn glitch.

Spending time with him doesn't matter. You simply have to get him his family armor back or, failing that, have either a high Charm or Intimidate skill level.

With the talk about DLC, the one thing I'm a little worried about is whether the voice actor strike will impact that. I know that Andromeda was one of the exempt games that VAs were allowed to work on, but I have no idea if that includes DLC or not. If it doesn't, does anyone know if the actors are from an area covered by the strike?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

My man. I think, out of every playthroughs I've done, only one was were I killed "most" of my squadmates just to see the differences in ME2 & 3.

Otherwise, it's mostly all the same shit, but with different classes and instead of being nice, I'm an asshole, or vice versa.

My current playthrough is probably my most different from previous ones... And the only real difference is that I'm male Shepard, and a Sentinel. Every other time I was female, and either a Soldier or an Infiltrator. I'm always Paragon, though I do make a few Renegade choices depending on the situation.

I wish I had the guts to be mean, get squadmates killed, etc... But I'm weak.

I agree! 👊

Edit: such negativity. is it really that hated?

This is literally the one place on GAF where you will find ME fans that are honest about the dire quality of ME1. Everywhere else it's "only real RPG in the series" this and "muh sense of discovery" that.

As bad as the damn genwunners, I swear.

Yusss my brotha. I always chicken out of my "renegade" playthroughs lol.

Um... now that you mention it, there actually kind of isn't one. Hmm.

He's a fun character, but they really don't *do* much with him, do they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom