• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Master |OT| Paul Thomas Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU SON OF A BITCH. Fine, see if I care! Not sure why San Diego isn't getting a limited showing, it's a major city! Also when is Michael Haneke's Love coming? Thank you basedfilmstage.

End of December, very limited with expansion in January. You're welcome.

Looks like Tuesday NYC screening is sold out. Any other GAFers grab tickets?

If September 11th was a holiday I would've bought tickets, but since it isn't I'll be working too late to come. :(

I will be taking the train into NY from CT specifically to see this, however. Probably at Lincoln Square, I just have to decide when. I want to come on Friday but I might wait until next Wednesday or Thursday, my two days off.

Peter Travers calls it a new American classic. 5 stars: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/the-master-20120910

And then there's an extraordinary reading of the movie by Kent Jones on Film Comment and a quote regarding scientology:

Many paying customers will line up for The Master—a fortunate few will line up to see it in 70mm—expecting a thinly veiled adaptation of last year’s New Yorker profile of apostate Paul Haggis. They are destined to be disappointed. Anderson is too interested in Hubbard and Scientology to be content with merely condemning them. He is so interested that he has envisioned them within a larger narrative beyond the film itself.

http://www.filmcomment.com/article/the-master-paul-thomas-anderson-review

At this point, PTA might be (statistically) my favorite director, I have yet to be disappointed by one of his movies. Or even find one only "good" really.

I've just noticed Greenwood did the score, that's a nice bonus.

Edit: lol, next year here. Fuck that.

I've probably watched the "She Wrote Me A Letter" video 10 or 12 times in the past day. For some reason it's even more evocative to me than any of the other videos. Can't wait to see this Friday morning.

So if I jump on Fandango and buy a ticket for any Friday showing at AMC Lincoln Square that's a 70mm projection? So on their IMAX screen, I guess? Or are those special screenings I'm not seeing?

Andrew.

Banned
Whenever it releases on BR, would it still be able to be shown in 70mm or is that not possible? Im completely ignorant to the tech stuff and I'd really like to see it the way it was supposed to be seen. Unfortunatley no 70mm showings are appearing down here. Also, the US wide release date is really this Friday?

People need to read this thread.

Lincoln Square - Their massive Aud. 1, NOT IMAX screen.

Very limited release this Friday and will expand throughout Sept. and Oct.

Andrew.

Banned
Well on page 1 you just put 9/14 with no indication that it was limited and then will spread out throughout Sept and Oct. On IMDB it says its release is 9/21. Sorry Kier.

People need to read this thread.

Lincoln Square - Their massive Aud. 1, NOT IMAX screen.

Very limited release this Friday and will expand throughout Sept. and Oct.

Sorry, I thought Auditorium 1 was their IMAX screen! Wasn't aware that they could project 70mm anywhere else (though IMAX is a bit different, obviously). Just to confirm, all of those Friday showings are 70mm? Is it a one-day-only thing? Or will it be showing in 70mm throughout its run at Lincoln?

Sorry, I thought Auditorium 1 was their IMAX screen! Wasn't aware that they could project 70mm anywhere else (though IMAX is a bit different, obviously). Just to confirm, all of those Friday showings are 70mm? Is it a one-day-only thing? Or will it be showing in 70mm throughout its run at Lincoln?

They installed a 70mm in Aud. 1 specifically for The Master. Those showtimes are all 70mm and it will continue for the known time in 70mm.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Landmark Theater San Diego website says it's playing in Hillcrest and La Jolla starting Sept 21. :)

Alrighty, wanted to get a night's sleep before saying my thoughts. First off, this is a completely absorbing film from start to finish but it doesn't have the immediacy and forward motion in filmmaking that the rest of PTA's films have. After the first act, there are many scenes that are ponderous and dive into the relationship of these two men. While that's the primary story and throughline here, Scientology plays a much bigger part than I was led to believe. We see meetings, hear PSH's writings and dive pretty deep into certain beliefs.

I'll also say this is a much more straightforward film than I figured based on all the early reviews. It's about a war veteran who is struggling to find something meaningful in life and links up with someone enticing in nearly every aspect and they form a relationship. There's a few narrative jumps here and there in flashbacks, but other than that what you get is what you see. I'm eager for my second viewing this Friday just to experience the story and performances again, but not because I didn't think I grasped PTA's intentions or vision on a first viewing.

Joaquin Phoenix is incredible every second of the film, playing a twitchy ostrich-like character. PSH is stand-out as expected and Amy Adams has a very, very minor role so don't expect much, but she is good. There's a specific scene between Phoenix and PSH that is outstanding, one of the most gripping I've seen, period. 70mm was glorious and the filmmaking has more of a hazy feel like it was a film from the 70s then something completely pristine, which I liked. I'll go into more as others get a chance to see, and I see it again, but whereas I thought PTA's other films enraptured you with brisk pacing and stunningly crafted sequences, this one is more free-form and reflective so it didn't hit me quite as hard as his others on a first view. Oh, also the film is pretty hilarious which I didn't expect at all. Yeah, don't want to go into more since no one has seen it yet but lots to discuss.

Now at 84% with 32 reviews: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_master_2011/

Also, a pic I took last night:

418951_3726667609586_1754928857_n.jpg

Didn't realize it was the actual premiere, Amy Adams, Madisen Beaty and Harvey Weinstein were there. Not to mention tons of other celebrities, randomly walked past Adrien Brody, Kevin Corrigan, Jack McBrayer, two people from Girls, Precious herself and more. Kinda crazy.

Kellen

Thats so awesome that you got to attend the premiere Expendable. How does the flick stack up with Paul's previous efforts?

Thats so awesome that you got to attend the premiere Expendable. How does the flick stack up with Paul's previous efforts?
Not as good IMO. Nowhere near as good as TWBB.

I know what amazing scene you are talking about Expendable. How how did Phoenix do that? Should get an Oscar nod for that scene alone!

Not as good IMO. Nowhere near as good as TWBB.

I know what amazing scene you are talking about Expendable. How how did Phoenix do that? Should get an Oscar nod for that scene alone!

Yeah, that scene was wild.

I'll agree it doesn't stack up with TWBB, but that film had a much more epic feel to it than this one. The Master is claustrophobic and more personal/intimate, while TWBB's style was more far-reaching and almost David Lean or Robert Altman-esque. PTA goes in a very different direction with The Master, save for a few sequences, which doesn't quite knock you off your socks like his previous movies.

It's out today!

It looks like Lincoln Square added digital screenings, so make sure you get the right ones NYC. Any GAFfers going to 7:15 70mm screenings? See you there!

Also it's up to 86% with 50 reviews: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_master_2011/

Smart, powerfully acted, beautifully filmed, and solidly engrossing, The Master extends writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson's winning streak of challenging films for serious audiences.

A.O. Scott also has a great review: http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/09/1...ml?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0moc.semityn.seivom

It looks like Lincoln Square added digital screenings, so make sure you get the right ones NYC.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm very tempted to take the train in tonight for the 10:30 screening but it'd make so much more sense for me to wait until my day off next week. I have an hour or two to decide...

Kellen

I kind of thought this was brilliant on a second viewing, just got out but have some theories to discuss.

Glad to hear that, and I'm psyched it's getting rave reviews. I'm giving serious thought to hitting up the Alamo Drafthouse here in KC(3 hours away) to check it out next week.

Draconian

Is this ever getting a wide release?

I'd like to know as well. I have no chance of seeing this otherwise. Heck, I wanted to see Coriolanus last year, but that didn't even come close to happening- it was only a few hundred screens at a time max. I have a feeling I'll be disappointed again.

EDIT: Coriolanus was also distributed by The Weinstein Company. Not a good sign.

border

From the link in the OP:

Update 9/12: The film is now scheduled to be released "Wide" so should be in most major U.S. markets on 9/21 meaning we will probably not be continuing to update the list of standard engagements. We will however continue to track any screens playing the film in 70mm (above).

It looks like the movie should be pretty much everywhere next Friday -- which is pretty cool. I live in Jacksonville, FL and there's already a theatre that's announced the engagement......so I suspect most any mid-to-large sized city should be playing the film.

From the link in the OP:

Update 9/12: The film is now scheduled to be released "Wide" so should be in most major U.S. markets on 9/21 meaning we will probably not be continuing to update the list of standard engagements. We will however continue to track any screens playing the film in 70mm (above).

It looks like the movie should be pretty much everywhere next Friday

iSv6eDZlfAq6L.gif

This is very pleasing news

Mariolee

Gah, I want to see this film so badly. Phoenix and PSH seem to sink right into their roles, and Adams is really chewing it up as well. I haven't checked out There Will Be Blood yet, but it's definitely on my radar. :)

Just got out from seeing it and it's in no way just loosely linked to Scientology, it IS Scientology, at least in its early stages. All of Scientology's early elements are depicted in painstaking detail.. Phoenix, Hoffman and Adams are all amazing in it and it's very well written.. I'm still trying to figure out what the movie was really about at its core, but I'll sleep on it.

I did kind of feel like I was looking for larger themes in this movie that don't exist, like I was looking for it to be a metaphor for something like it was supposed to have some deep insight into something about human nature that didn't exactly come across. DP what are your theories?

also, I know LRH liked to sing songs with bizarre lyrics, but that aside,
WTF was up with the scene towards the end that was analagous to "bastard in a basket" where he was singing that dumbfuckery?

And I think this review basically sums up the movie in a nutshell:

The Master captures in a way I've never seen the tension in American culture between stubborn individualism and a desire to be led, even by leaders who are ludicrous.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've been debating buying tickets there. I want to see it in 70 mm, but I really don't like the dome very much. I find the curvature of the screen pretty distracting.

Yeah, the dome's not really ideal, but I'll deal with that in order to see the 70mm print. Otherwise it's 35mm at The Landmark. Got my ticket for the Sunday morning show, almost precisely in the middle of the theater.

I've been debating buying tickets there. I want to see it in 70 mm, but I really don't like the dome very much. I find the curvature of the screen pretty distracting.
Which is why I just came back from the Arclight where it was also shown in one of the regular theaters in 70mm as well. Can't stand the dome myself, for the same reason. Just click this link and it'll tell you which showings are in 70mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom