• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Master |OT| Paul Thomas Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it Friday night....Phoenix and Seymour Hoffman should both be nominated for awards, especially Joaquin Phoenix. What a performance!

But I guess I will echo the same sentiments many have already put forth in this thread. Awesome performances, but the movie at times......was.....missing something. I wish I could be more specific. I guess I'm just tired right now. But there was nothing I could grab onto at times, at it was frustrating, because both of the aforementioned actors were absolutely incredible.

Dany

Banned
The movie is sloppy, beautifully framed, has good music, great acting and a ok(?) story.

The more I think about the movie, the more I want this on Blu-ray just to see the way Anderson has framed the shots because, seriously, every single frame is pure art.

I love the scene in which the lady goes up to Dodd with the second book and she is upset with the new direction and Dodd just shuts her down. 'Imagine instead of recall" Seriously, that was breathtaking to watch. This scene shows to me that Dodd in some subconscious level believes what he is saying is pure bullshit and in order to expand the cause, he will need to change his views.
I love the final scene in which Freddie and Dodd meet, most importantly because Amy Adams was sitting in a chair the right in the background. Truly beautiful. The story and the entire arch of Freddie really perplexes me. As to, what was his purpose?

I guess I'll tag this.

Why was this thread not made in August? Missed the 70mm

Those were one night only pop-up screenings. I updated people in the previous thread as they were announced, but often sold out in mere hours. And more often then not they were surprises after screenings of films like 2001 and Taxi Driver. The people going didn't even know.

Agree with the general consensus - Masterful performances by Phoenix and Hoffman and beautiful cinematography and music, but just doesn't really go anywhere in the end. Still really enjoyed it, but a notch below his other recent films.

I wonder how much of the
jail cell destruction
scene came out of PTA's direction or just came out of Phoenix? Fucking intense...

Agree with the general consensus - Masterful performances by Phoenix and Hoffman and beautiful cinematography and music, but just doesn't really go anywhere in the end. Still really enjoyed it, but a notch below his other recent films.

I wonder how much of the
jail cell destruction
scene came out of PTA's direction or just came out of Phoenix? Fucking intense...

I never got the impression at the end that it was supposed to go somewhere. It begins
and ends with the same image. It's a solo character study (Dodd and The Cause are largely irrelevant to the "going somewhere") about Quall's need for subservience. The Cause was just the most codified and successful aspect of it in his life since the OG Boob of Back In The Day (i.e. as an infant).

Helmholtz

Saw this today. Overall I thought it was good. The overall plot is pretty thin, but as a character study it works very well and is very well acted from both of its leads. I'm still not clear
on whether or not Freddie ever believed in the Cause, or whether or not he regressed back to an animalistic, alcoholic state.
But that might be for the best. I don't really mind that the film doesn't make everything black and white or crystal clear. And I read Expendable's insights into the movie, and I think a lot of them are interesting
, especially the dog/master comparisons which I never really considered. The homosexual thing seems like a bit of a stretch though. I also didn't catch the thing about the movie theater phone call being a dream, but it makes sense.
. But yeah, Phoenix deserves an oscar for this, and Hoffman is a contender.

I'd argue it is a perfect film that captures the American climate of today where distractions (military/religion/media) can lead one to losing out on their dreams. The ending gets better on return viewings and makes more sense because it wraps up Phoenix's transformation that he is his own master and was always capable of being that on his own. I wrote this review on another site:

"Saw the Master again today... the ending was much better this time. First viewing I was anticipating a more climatic conclusion. This film is so cerebral, showcasing the distractions society puts forth that can ultimately fool you of your dreams. Nothing is heavy handed and Phoenix does one of the best performances I have seen in a long time. I don't even know what to say about it other than it's unlike any film I know. A masterpiece."

Helmholtz

I'd argue it is a perfect film that captures the American climate of today where distractions (military/religion/media) can lead one to losing out on their dreams. The ending gets better on return viewings and makes more sense because it wraps up Phoenix's transformation that he is his own master and was always capable of being that on his own. I wrote this review on another site:

"Saw the Master again today... the ending was much better this time. First viewing I was anticipating a more climatic conclusion. This film is so cerebral, showcasing the distractions society puts forth that can ultimately fool you of your dreams. Nothing is heavy handed and Phoenix does one of the best performances I have seen in a long time. I don't even know what to say about it other than it's unlike any film I know. A masterpiece."
I like this interpretation for sure.

I love the scene in which the lady goes up to Dodd with the second book and she is upset with the new direction and Dodd just shuts her down. 'Imagine instead of recall" Seriously, that was breathtaking to watch. This scene shows to me that Dodd in some subconscious level believes what he is saying is pure bullshit and in order to expand the cause, he will need to change his views.
yep and he did end up changing said views.. once you were rid of the influence of all your life's negative memories he then later said that the reason you weren't experiencing the abilities he said you would is because you have a bunch of restless alien souls attached to your body who all have negative memories of their own that you have to fix.. and since by the time someone was to get to that level, they were so used to being told, for instance, that someone's eyes are black when they really are blue, and that you're not actually touching a wall, it's something else and you've accepted this new reality you've been given, having dead alien souls attached to your body isn't as much of a stretch as it would be to the uninitiated. Of course many people inside don't believe it still, just like how Freddie may not actually believe that the woman's eyes are black or that he's not touching a glass window and a wall, but they'll play like they do and this is how they submit to The Master.

When this movie comes out on home video I want to take the scene with Freddie running from the window to the wall and cut it to Lil' Jon's Get Low.
Also, an organization/cult like theirs needs more than just suckers with money - they need zealous loyalty, of which Freddie was happy to provide in his own way. The mentally ill have historically been drawn to/sought out by Scientology as well, especially since it is, as I've heard a few Scientologists say, an alternative to psychiatry.
Unfortunately, sometimes there are legitimately mentally ill people in Scientology. The problem is that these people are not allowed under any circumstance to get the proper psychiatric help since Scientologists are hellbent against anything related to psychiatry. Things like this can happen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elli_Perkins

Zebra

I get the complaints about feeling like the film doesn't go anywhere, but that seemed like the whole point.
It was about taming the untameable. Phoenix starts wild, stays wild, and ends wild, the only difference in the end being that he embraces this nature to become his own master.

I loved the film and thought it was great. I really loved
the contrast between master and animal, while the master proved only to be an animal in disguise.
Anderson crafted soo many wonderful visual cues to establish their relationship, it was breathtaking.

i thought dodd's daughter was joanna newsom at at the wedding scene

did anyone else think the scene where the outsider questions dodd's practice felt kind of out place? it was a bit south park... like the audience didnt need to be told how ridiculous this all was.

although the scene itself was a great performance by PSH.. "pig fuck"

Most of PTA's films don't have anything interesting to say and aren't heavy on plot. His films are generally beautifully framed, meandering, and waver from being brilliant to being outright boring. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows while watching a PTA film.

i thought dodd's daughter was joanna newsom at at the wedding scene

did anyone else think the scene where the outsider questions dodd's practice felt kind of out place? it was a bit south park... like the audience didnt need to be told how ridiculous this all was.

although the scene itself was a great performance by PSH.. "pig fuck"

I know what you mean, i still liked it though. The skeptical guy could have been less confrontational, but then we wouldn't see psh lose his cool and let a bit of his inner animal out.

Zebra

I know what you mean, i still liked it though. The skeptical guy could have been less confrontational, but then we wouldn't see psh lose his cool and let a bit of his inner animal out.

Yeah, I felt like that was the point of the scene. We needed to see the insecurity lieing below his cool demeanor to help illustrate what an act he puts on, and what better way to do so than have someone trying to undermine his authority in front of his followers.

Most of PTA's films don't have anything interesting to say and aren't heavy on plot. His films are generally beautifully framed, meandering, and waver from being brilliant to being outright boring. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows while watching a PTA film.
TWBB and Boogie Nights say no.

Zebra

So I've been trying to figure out what role Dodd's son played in this movie. Any thoughts on this?

He was sort of the skeptical son who seemed
eager to see his father get arrested. I thought that maybe he would come back in the end and play some part in the downfall of his father, but we wind up just seeing him faithfully functioning within the English school?

I've hard a hard time figuring out what the point of his character was. If he was removed from the film, would anything have been lost?

However, I am always glad to see Jesse Plemons getting work.

Edit: Thinking on it more:
Maybe he seemed so put off by his father in the middle of the film because Phoenix's character was filling his role as Dodds son, with Dodd giving more attention to Phoenix instead of his own flesh and blood son. Then, after Phoenix drives off into the desert and disappears, Plemons can fill that void left by Phoenix and thus why we see him in the school?

Ptaaty

Nice scenes, excellent acting, cinematography.

Pretty much a complete lack of everything that makes movies entertaining to watch - no real plot, no progression, no story arc, no character development.

Basically felt like it was a series of repeated personal interactions (mainly between Hoffman/Phoenix characters) which didn't evolve, only slowly revealed some additional complexity.

Ptaaty

I get the complaints about feeling like the film doesn't go anywhere, but that seemed like the whole point.
It was about taming the untameable. Phoenix starts wild, stays wild, and ends wild, the only difference in the end being that he embraces this nature to become his own master.

I loved the film and thought it was great. I really loved
the contrast between master and animal, while the master proved only to be an animal in disguise.
Anderson crafted soo many wonderful visual cues to establish their relationship, it was breathtaking.

I'd have to think you are the minority and represent a non-mainstream opinion of enjoyment. I watched this was a few other PTA fans who are film buffs in general and we were all pretty underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, not everything needs to be a popcorn flick, but this movie doesn't have much appeal to any typical genre IMO.

Still, the acting was phenomenal, and there were elements of very powerful film making, I just don't think it passes the "entertain / educate / amuse" test for most people.

Zebra

Nice scenes, excellent acting, cinematography.

Pretty much a complete lack of everything that makes movies entertaining to watch - no real plot, no progression, no story arc, no character development.

Basically felt like it was a series of repeated personal interactions (mainly between Hoffman/Phoenix characters) which didn't evolve, only slowly revealed some additional complexity.

I couldn't disagree more. I feel that Phoenix's character changes from beginning to end, albeit his behaviors remained the same.

I'd have to think you are the minority and represent a non-mainstream opinion of enjoyment. I watched this was a few other PTA fans who are film buffs in general and we were all pretty underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, not everything needs to be a popcorn flick, but this movie doesn't have much appeal to any typical genre IMO.

Still, the acting was phenomenal, and there were elements of very powerful film making, I just don't think it passes the "entertain / educate / amuse" test for most people.

I won't lie, I was underwhelmed as well, but I think that's because my expectations were skewed by There Will Be Blood. But on reflection, the film keeps getting better for me. I think, because of TWBB,
that I was expecting it to be a tragedy. That it would end in blood with the complete downfall of one of the characters. I kept waiting for the animal urges to overwhelm one of them in a shockingly violent and finalizing moment that never came.
It would certainly have been interesting if it ended in that manner, but as it stands I think it's still great.

Interestinggg. Thanks.

C4Lukins

I was really disappointed with this film.

Not a lot to say outside of the common critical opinion.

The acting was great. The movie looks fantastic. The two leads just knock it out of the park. But the film itself just feels very empty, and almost mean spirited.

There is nothing for the average person to relate to. It does not really delve into the origins of the cult the film is inspired by enough to give you much background there. And it does not delve deep enough into the past of the main character where we can put together where his crazy comes from. It was so dark in a way that I thought about just leaving. Without giving me some sort of reference point to care, it is hard to stick around and watch the predictable disaster unfold. It is like a high level Hostel type film. You hate everyone in the film, and you do not care if they escape or if they get their balls cut off. It was just acted so well and looked so nice that I put up with it. I love every Anderson film before this one, but I hope that this is not an indication of where he is going in the future.

Ohwiseone

I have been going back and fourth on seeing this.

Its Paul Thomas Anderson, and Boogie Nights along with TWBB are two of my favorite movies EVER.

(The shot in Boogie Nights, that is the long take in the bar/club is amazing, and blows me away every time I watch it)

I keep hearing mixed stuff, I just am afraid I am going to be "its okay/a bit boring" Because I am going to be seeing this by myself.

But Paul Thomas Anderson makes me REALLY want to see it. Just to watch the way he shoots everything.

I have been going back and fourth on seeing this.

Its Paul Thomas Anderson, and Boogie Nights along with TWBB are two of my favorite movies EVER.

(The shot in Boogie Nights, that is the long take in the bar/club is amazing, and blows me away every time I watch it)

I keep hearing mixed stuff, I just am afraid I am going to be "its okay/a bit boring" Because I am going to be seeing this by myself.

But Paul Thomas Anderson makes me REALLY want to see it. Just to watch the way he shoots everything.

He's a different director now than the one who did Boogz and Maggiez. But he's still an incredible one.

Zebra

There is nothing for the average person to relate to. It does not really delve into the origins of the cult the film is inspired by enough to give you much background there. And it does not delve deep enough into the past of the main character where we can put together where his crazy comes from. It was so dark in a way that I thought about just leaving.

I thought it was pretty clear that his 'crazy' comes from
his mother.

What does being by yourself have to do with the film quality? Genuine question, not trying to sound like an ass.

Where's Michael Phillips when you need him :(

Rewatching all the trailers on http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com , I really feel like the fault is on me in not enjoying this movie; all of the trailers and promotional material for the movie are fantastic, and I believe more so after seeing the movie and the trailers with material not featured in the movie that, to paraphrase Robert Evans on The Godfather, Anderson cut out "all of the spaghetti" to focus on the Hoffman/Phoenix relationship. I need to see it for a second time. I was lukewarm on Oliver Stone's W., but then I saw that movie again, and it "clicked" and I ended up loving it. Outside of that movie, I don't know the last time I was lukewarm on a movie, and then was swayed greatly on a second viewing.

A week later, I can't get the movie out of my head, but not for the best of reasons. There are still things I love, with images and lighting and sounds and faces filling my mind, but, they add up to little. Sigh...

Oh, and here's some (part 1??) of Jim Emerson's thoughts: http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2012/09/the_master_who_are_you.html

Nearly everywhere including here and the youtube reviewers I watch, all agree that technically it's great, but they're left cold and the story is just not interesting. And that the 150 min runtime doesn't help.

Usually, with high-minded directors' films, there's usually very contested divided opinions like Tree of Life but I guess this isn't as packed a movie as his others are since it's a character study? Looks like Cloud Atlas will be that since it's juggling a lot.

We in the UK have to wait for 2nd Nov to check it out, and Scullibondo will have the last opinion on 8th Nov lol

gcubed

Nearly everywhere including here and the youtube reviewers I watch, all agree that technically it's great, but they're left cold and the story is just not interesting. And that the 150 min runtime doesn't help.

Usually, with high-minded directors' films, there's usually very contested divided opinions like Tree of Life but I guess this isn't as packed a movie as his others are since it's a character study? Looks like Cloud Atlas will be that since it's juggling a lot.

We in the UK have to wait for 2nd Nov to check it out, and Scullibondo will have the last opinion on 8th Nov lol

I saw it this weekend and coming off of seeing There Will Be Blood recently... i thought it was pretty bad (maybe not bad... but forgettable to say the least). It was too drawn out even for him, with a story that simply wasn't there. I enjoy most of Anderson's movies, just couldn't get into this. I did think it may improve with another watch but it'll have to be something i watch when there is nothing else on since i won't sit through 150 minutes of it in a theater again.

Its a shame too because i thought the acting and characters were top notch, just didn't enjoy the movie.

I think people are confusing "story" with "plot" quite honestly. I think a character study of this level is an incredible "story" even if there's no discernible plot.

Of course, cada uno a su gusto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom