• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

It didn't grab me at first listen (I think i posted about it here), but I gave it another chance and it clicked.
I got the album and Mdlosci/Further Down The Nest. I prefer the latter but both are good.
Same here. It clicked when I heard the last song of the album. I'll have to check out their older material.

Flynn

Nice to hear about that new Uncle Acid record.

And thank you for sharing MGLA. Just listened to and really, really liked With Hearts Toward None.

Ravager61

Bought myself a Christmas present this year. It just came in the mail. One of my top 3 albums of all time.

jbzGWoeFr8CZte.JPG

I only need Fas and Kenose to have all of their post-Inquistors material on Vinyl.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
You guys ready to hear the craziest metal super-group ever?

sh.jpg

Voodoo Gods

David Shankle (David Shankle Group, Manowar) - Lead guitar
Hiro (Vader, Decapitated, Dies Irae, Sceptic, Virgin Snatch) - Guitars
Nergal (Behemoth) - Vocals
Mike Browning (Morbid Angel, Incubus, Noctunus, Acheron, After Death) - Drums, vocals
Jean Baudin (Nuclear Rabbit, Element of Surprise) - Extended-Range Bass (9,11, and 12 string basses)
Seth Van De Loo (Severe Torture, Nox, Centurian) - Vocals
Alex Voodoo (Union, Guerillia, Non Opus Dei) - Drums

Free download of their one EP here or you can purchase it from Jean's webstore.

You guys ready to hear the craziest metal super-group ever?

Voodoo Gods

David Shankle (David Shankle Group, Manowar) - Lead guitar
Hiro (Vader, Decapitated, Dies Irae, Sceptic, Virgin Snatch) - Guitars
Nergal (Behemoth) - Vocals
Mike Browning (Morbid Angel, Incubus, Noctunus, Acheron, After Death) - Drums, vocals
Jean Baudin (Nuclear Rabbit, Element of Surprise) - Extended-Range Bass (9,11, and 12 string basses)
Seth Van De Loo (Severe Torture, Nox, Centurian) - Vocals
Alex Voodoo (Union, Guerillia, Non Opus Dei) - Drums

Free download of their one EP here or you can purchase it from Jean's webstore.

You had me at Mike Browning.

New track by Dir En Grey - Rinkaku
http://youtu.be/CxwnlqQ2DiQ

Yup, it fucking jams.

Also, new "mini album" - http://www.direngrey.co.jp/english/e-newrelease.html

I can't stop listening to it.

[EDIT]

Here's something I wanted to post in here. Having fun reading through this thread now.

Seikima-II - Oni (demon)

Original Japanese version from 1992
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chDe8g3D-nI

English version from 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfCOG8lkfxw

and uhh...

one more edit

JACK THE RIPPER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvYYvSGe_Oc

Ixion

Amon Amarth is done writing their new album.

http://www.amonamarth.com/2012/12/31/end-of-the-year-update/

We want to thank everyone that has supported and helped us in 2012.

2013 will be another intense year for Amon Amarth, and looks like it will be slightly unpredictable and mischievous…

We’ve just finished writing all the songs for the next full-length album, and we’re ready to enter the studio to start recording them in the new year.

Wishing everyone a fun and successful 2013!

Cheers
/Amon Amarth

Melchiah

http://www.examiner.com/article/metal-resolutions-for-2013
3) Acknowledge Finnish bands as rulers of the death metal empire - Since the proper advent of death metal, the seat of power has moved around repeatedly. Florida, New York, and Sweden shared control for quite a while, but in the second decade of the new millennium, Finland has once again seized the throne with consistently great output. 2013 promises more greatness with stateside assistance from labels like Dark Descent.

I couldn't agree more. ;)

Haven't been following Finnish death metal closely in a long time, but i should pay more attention. Sweden (Stockholm) is still king for me.

1) Buy more, download less – Yes, we all do it. Despite file sharing sites being a lot more stringent about deleting files, downloading is a universal reality in the digital age. Sometimes we can't find a release, sometimes we can't afford it. Those excuses only hold so much water when one considers how many record stores still exist and how often they include a respectable metal section. Test driving albums is fine, but if you like it, then either go to a store or your favorite online vendor and buy the damn thing, already!

My forever mantra. With the advent of free streaming and all, it's a good way to preview things. If you love it, buy it physically in a store! It'll get you to look at other things in that section as well :)

Melchiah

Haven't been following Finnish death metal closely in a long time, but i should pay more attention. Sweden (Stockholm) is still king for me.

I recommend starting with Desolate Shrine, Maveth, Lie in Ruins, and Corpsessed.

I've personally never liked Swedish DM that much, too melodic for me. I want my DM raw and wriggly.

fallout

My forever mantra. With the advent of free streaming and all, it's a good way to preview things. If you love it, buy it physically in a store! It'll get you to look at other things in that section as well :)
My first avenue is always to pay for a download. If only everyone were on Bandcamp. :\

There's been some killer death metal from both Sweden and Finland lately.
I recommend starting with Desolate Shrine, Maveth, Lie in Ruins, and Corpsessed.

I've personally never liked Swedish DM that much, too melodic for me. I want my DM raw and wriggly.
The Dagger & The Chalice was great.
There should be plenty of quality Finnish DM this year. IIRC Corpsessed, Swallowed, Krypts, Stench of Decay and Lantern will be releasing full-lenghts this year.

Some semi-recent,less melodic Swedish DM if you're interested:
Verminous
Repugnant
Kaamos
Necrovation
Tribulation

This Copressed is pretty good. I was really into Demigod, Demlich, early Amorphis and early Xysmas at the time. Kind of when the Dutch stuff started to blur the line with the Finnish stuff, brutal mushy blasting death metal.

Thanks for the rec.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
7) Go to more shows, travel as needed – Yeah, yeah, nobody has any money these days. Stop thinking about going to shows in terms of affording beer. Pay the cover, then learn to enjoy a band stone cold sober. You'll be healthier and more enriched for it. Is it a three-hour drive? Grab your friends for a road trip or solicit a ride from the like-minded online. You might make a new friend in the process. Has an annual festival recently announced an unbeatable lineup? Start saving now and make the trip. The same rules of sharing expenses with friends applies here, too. Metal needs fans, not a lot of excuses about why you can't go.

Or metal bands can come through the Black Hills more often and I don't have to drive 5 hours one way to Sioux Falls or Denver. I can't do that shit for a Tuesday show and I seriously can't do that shit in the winter. Seriously, no one comes near me and the local scene is fucking tiny, and mostly just a few hardcore bands.

Ravager61

Funebrarum kick unholy amounts of ass. I love them so much.

Also Corpsessed is an unbelievably stupid name.

Oh also, early 90's American death metal is the best death metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom