• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The Decline of Western Civilisation Part II : The Metal Years

A classic, especially if you find the glam metal thing entertaining. Has some cool Megadeth bits and hilarious clips. Well worth it.

I watched this and loved it. That pool interview, Paul Stanley in bed with 3 groupies, Ozzy making breakfast, shitty bands with delusions of grandeur... So much good stuff. Apparently Ozzy pouring the orange juice was faked though.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll probably watch Such Hounds next.

Ravager61

Another black metal recommendation.

Deafknife - VI ER DØDE
tumblr_meiz8qtGGA1qj4d91_1354656046_cover.jpg

Russian "post-black metal". I hate that term but it seems to be what everyone calls black metal with shoegaze/hardcore elements these days. Purists beware.

Ixion

The FYE I went to didn't have any good Winter-themed black metal, so I just ended up buying a Death album (Sound of Perseverance) for the gift exchange at work tomorrow. Figured the name would be funny.

Not to mention it's a great fucking album.

rexor0717

The FYE I went to didn't have any good Winter-themed black metal, so I just ended up buying a Death album (Sound of Perseverance) for the gift exchange at work tomorrow. Figured the name would be funny.

Not to mention it's a great fucking album.

I can't really bring myself to like anything else of Death's besides the Sound of Perseverance. And I love that album.

ShaneB

I can't really bring myself to like anything else of Death's besides the Sound of Perseverance. And I love that album.

SoP and Symbolic are pretty much the only Death albums I like. They're so damn awesome however, the earlier stuff is so rough sounding and I just can't get into them.

SoP and Symbolic are pretty much the only Death albums I like. They're so damn awesome however, the earlier stuff is so rough sounding and I just can't get into them.
I like all albums made by Death. But if you only like those two try to listen to Control Denied.

Ravager61

Eh.

Every style of rock, folk or electronic music under the sun has been mixed with BM years ago, and this sound in particular has been as common as any.

That doesn't make it bad though. Basically every metal band of the last 10 years just borrows elements from the bands that came before it. Hell, I think that's probably true for any musical genre.

That said, I know this style isn't for everyone. I do enjoy it though and I think these guys do it well.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I still have no idea wtf 'post' implies in any genere. If it just sequentially came after something else why not just call it a different name. We dont call punk 'post classic rock'. Im pretty sure i have no idea what it means but it just sounds like some pretentious hipster way of naming shit.

RDreamer

I still have no idea wtf 'post' implies in any genere. If it just sequentially came after something else why not just call it a different name. We dont call punk 'post classic rock'. Im pretty sure i have no idea what it means but it just sounds like some pretentious hipster way of naming shit.

For the most part it probably did start out as a pretentious hipster way of naming shit. It has nothing to do with coming after something sequentially, it refers to a particular sound. Usually it has a bit more drawn out songs. A lot of times they're instrumental. Guitars are used more for texture and buildup rather than for something like a catchy riff. Songs are usually built on repetition of musical motifs and only subtle changes throughout.

If you listen to that song and then something like Explosions in the Sky you should be able to hear the connection pretty easily. Agalloch also takes a lot of influence from the post-rock and post-metal scene.

Ravager61

Genre tags are necessary. The only reason I complain about "post-black metal" is that it isn't entirely clear what that sounds like yet. It can be used to describe a lot of different sounds, which defeats the purpose.

I loved the shit out of their first EP "Breeding Death", especially the Entombed rip off track at the end. I was excited to get their first full length and was disapointed with the last half :\ I have no idea what they sound like now, if they kept the same old school production or not.

Intestine Baalism, death metal from Japan, deserves more attention.
Intestine Baalism - Anatomy of the Beast

So people, what's your apocalypse-music for today? (When is the next date the world is supposed to go down? So you should at least have the chance to celebrate it with a good soundtrack!)

These are some of mine! Not always apocalpyse themed but the atmospheric:
I really dig this one from Crowbar:
December's Spawn

Kalas
Monuments To Ruins

And of course
Dopesmoker

...Not metal related I'd probably listen to David Bowie a lot if the world really ended. And some of those Christopher Lee Lord of The Rings songs!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
What are some good metal releases this year? (any genre from black to death etc) haven't seriously kept up with the latest releases since 2010 with the brilliant agalloch and deathspell omega releases that came out in that particular year. Was kind of disappointed in last year's krallice and ulcerate release, hence why I've been kind of out of the game, so to speak.

Pretty sure "post" is suppose to be like a artsy reference to post-modernism or something. Like I guess you are suppose to imagine the likes of post-rock, post-punk to be deconstructions of their particular genres.:p I think if you compare joy division (post-punk) to the clash (punk) and explosions in the sky (post-rock) to something like U2 (rock) you might be able to pick up on what they are aiming for with those genre labels.

Flynn

Postmodernists were the original hipsters.

What are some good metal releases this year? (any genre from black to death etc) haven't seriously kept up with the latest releases since 2010 with the brilliant agalloch and deathspell omega releases that came out in that particular year. Was kind of disappointed in last year's krallice and ulcerate release, hence why I've been kind of out of the game, so to speak.

Om - Adviatic Songs
my ablum of the year.

Hooded Menace - Effigies Of Evil
close 2nd for my album of the year.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So one of my favorite DSBM bands, Thy Light, is going to be releasing a re-master of their first demo. There's a preview track up, and it sounds amazing. If you like DSBM, definitely give it a listen. Personally it's one of my favorite DSBM releases ever.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
For the most part it probably did start out as a pretentious hipster way of naming shit. It has nothing to do with coming after something sequentially, it refers to a particular sound. Usually it has a bit more drawn out songs. A lot of times they're instrumental. Guitars are used more for texture and buildup rather than for something like a catchy riff. Songs are usually built on repetition of musical motifs and only subtle changes throughout.

If you listen to that song and then something like Explosions in the Sky you should be able to hear the connection pretty easily. Agalloch also takes a lot of influence from the post-rock and post-metal scene.

Pretty sure "post" is suppose to be like a artsy reference to post-modernism or something. Like I guess you are suppose to imagine the likes of post-rock, post-punk to be deconstructions of their particular genres.:p I think if you compare joy division (post-punk) to the clash (punk) and explosions in the sky (post-rock) to something like U2 (rock) you might be able to pick up on what they are aiming for with those genre labels.

Postmodernists were the original hipsters.

I suspected as much but thanks for clarifying. Im gonna get my grumpy old man mode on and pretend that that whole thing doesnt exist. Fucking kids and their nintendo tapes.

Ravager61

I really dislike "technical death metal" in general. It's super boring to me. Sounds like the musical equivalent of dudes jacking off onto their guitars.

edit: I do like Cynic though, for the record.

Greg

I really dislike "technical death metal" in general. It's super boring to me. Sounds like the musical equivalent of dudes jacking off onto their guitars.
Have you ever listened to the more melodic side of the genre then? Just a few off the top of my head:

Arsis - A Feast for the Liar's Tongue
Gorod - Elements and Spirit
Beyond Creation - Chromatic Horizon
Son of Aurelius - The First, the Serpent
First Fragment - Paradoxal Subjugation
De Lirium's Order - Autistic Savant

Ravager61

Yeah, I have albums from Arsis and Gorod. It's just not for me. It just comes off as "look how many notes we can play" most of the time. They're all "melodic" in that they have harmonies and play in a key but I don't find their approach to songwriting interesting in the slightest.

Greg

Yeah, I have albums from Arsis and Gorod. It's just not for me. It just comes off as "look how many notes we can play" most of the time. They're all "melodic" in that they have harmonies and play in a key but I don't find their approach to songwriting interesting in the slightest.
It's not always as accessible as some other genres of metal in terms of the instrumentation, but the bands I listed never come off as "look at how many notes we can play/let's jack off our guitars" to me - it all feels pretty calculated.

It's fine if you don't like the bands mentioned, it just bothers me seeing generalizations/dislikes of an entire genre when it pulls influences from all over the place.

Ravager61

It's not always as accessible as some other genres of metal in terms of the instrumentation, but the bands I listed never come off as "look at how many notes we can play/let's jack off our guitars" to me - it all feels pretty calculated.

It's fine if you don't like the bands mentioned, it just bothers me seeing generalizations/dislikes of an entire genre when it pulls influences from all over the place.

Of course it's calculated, but let's be honest with ourselves here, there is an element of musical masturbation in these bands. They could accomplish similar melodies/atmospheres/etc with out picking 1000000 notes a minute. If I never have to hear another neck sweep again, I'll be ok with that.

I think part of my problem with it is there is little for me to latch on to in these songs. As soon as I hear something I may like, it's already off to some other riff/solo.

I realize this is popular genre. Just saying why I don't like it. I can fully understand why people aren't into some of the black metal stuff that I really enjoy.

Greg

Of course it's calculated, but let's be honest with ourselves here, there is an element of musical masturbation in these bands. They could accomplish similar melodies/atmospheres/etc with out picking 1000000 notes a minute. If I never have to hear another neck sweep again, I'll be ok with that.

I think part of my problem with it is there is little for me to latch on to in these songs. As soon as I hear something I may like, it's already off to some other riff/solo.

I realize this is popular genre. Just saying why I don't like it. I can fully understand why people aren't into some of the black metal stuff that I really enjoy.
In my interpretation, what you were describing is something like this (and I'd agree with you completely if that were the case):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEywYigygnk

I was just offering suggestions if that was your idea of what technical death metal represented in general, because I don't understand how you could check that Gorod video and come away with a similar opinion between the two sounds.

It's like me saying "black metal could have a similar cold and evil atmosphere without relying on poor production" when we both know there's much more to it than that.

Are Necrophagist, Nile, Death, Atheist, Cynic, Obituary, Dying Fetus, technical death metal? Serious question. I love those bands.

Obituary, not at all. Obituary is purposely simple/churning/grinding/ugly death metal, especially their first 2 albums. Early Death, not really. It was very rudimentary up until Human which makes sense because thats when all stars Paul Masvidal/Reinert of Cynic and bass god Steve DiGiorgio stepped in as session members to help shape the album. From there Death just got more and more silly.

Check out Atrocity's first 2 albums since you liked those early technical death metal bands.
Atrocity - Deep In Your Subconscious
Atrocity - Godless Years

some others from that era:
Monstrosity - Final Cremation
Brutality - These Walls Shall Be Your Grave
Brutality kinda have a special sound. Brutal death metal played with a lot of finesse and melody, yet doom sounding. Really an underrated band because they were latecomers.

btw, that Behexen song fucking rules.

blahness

Does anyone know if there are any recordings out on the interwebs from VHÖL yet?

They are a supergroup consisting of:

Mike Scheidt (YOB)-Vocals
John Cobbett (Hammers of Misfortune, ex-Ludicra)-Guitars
Sigrid Sheie (Hammers of Misfortune)-Bass
Aesop Dekker (Agalloch, Worm Ouroboros, ex-Ludicra)-Drums

sgjackson

I've come to notice how many metal listeners are so proud of knowing of Cynic... they hear something influenced by them and it's all 'yeah well... Cynic'.

When people do more interesting stuff with the foundation Cynic laid than "YO MAN ROBOT VOCALS" it's pretty cool - I really liked The Contortionist's album this year and that pretty solidly falls into the category of tech death we're talking about.

It's just a lot of bands are boring about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom