• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Middle East may be becoming to hot to inhabit due to climate change. (NYT/OpEd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/opinion/thomas-friedman-the-worlds-hot-spot.html?_r=0

On July 31, USA Today reported that in Bandar Mahshahr, Iran, a city adjacent to the Persian Gulf, the heat index soared to 163 degrees “as a heat wave continued to bake the Middle East, already one of the hottest places on earth. ‘That was one of the most incredible temperature observations I have ever seen, and it is one of the most extreme readings ever in the world,’ AccuWeather meteorologist Anthony Sagliani said in a statement.

“While the temperature was ‘only’ 115 degrees, the dew point was an unfathomable 90 degrees. ... The combination of heat and humidity, measured by the dew point, is what makes the heat index — or what the temperature actually feels like outside.”

Then we saw something we’ve not seen before: An Iraqi government was sacked over its failure to deliver air conditioning. Two weeks ago, the prime minister, Haider al-Abadi, abolished all three vice-presidential posts and the office of deputy prime minister and proposed sweeping anti-corruption reforms after weeks of street protests over the fact that the government could supply electricity for air-conditioning for only a few hours a day during weeks of 120-degree temperatures.

On Feb. 19, 2014, The Associated Press reported from Iran: “The first cabinet decision made under Iran’s new president, Hassan Rouhani, wasn’t about how to resolve his country’s nuclear dispute with world powers. It was about how to keep the nation’s largest lake from disappearing. Lake Oroumieh, one of the biggest saltwater lakes on earth, has shrunk more than 80 percent to ... (nearly 400 square miles) in the past decade, mainly because of climate change, expanded irrigation for surrounding farms and the damming of rivers that feed the body of water, experts say.

“ ‘The lake is gone. My job is gone. My children are gone. Tourists, too,’ said Mozafar Cheraghi, 58, as he stood on a dusty platform that was once his bustling teahouse.”

Heat index at 163 degrees F?! Or 73 C (Again, that's heat index, how it feels)

What in the world?

It's only gonna get worse. Just wait 10 more years.

climate-change-33.gif

wildfire

Banned
If they literally don't build a facility covering their water reserves it will continue to dry up.

It would be pretty crazy if in 10 -15 years we witness the biggest mass refugee crisis in history.

It's going to be scary when mass immigration hit full swing and everyone is forced shoulder to shoulder. Humanity has proven we just cannot live together.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's only gonna get worse. Just wait 10 more years.

climate-change-33.gif

What is this representing? According to this, the climate change in northern Canada was greater than almost anywhere else in the world in the past decades? Like +2 celsius hotter?

Abounder

Banned
YOU LIVE IN A DESERT!! UNDERSTAND THAT? YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT!! NOTHING GROWS HERE! NOTHING'S GONNA GROW HERE! Come here, you see this? This is sand. You know what it's gonna be 100 years from now? IT'S GONNA BE SAND!! YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT!

maxresdefault.jpg

But kidding aside those temps are unholy, yikes

Docflem

What is this representing? According to this, the climate change in northern Canada was greater than almost anywhere else in the world in the past decades? Like +2 celsius hotter?

Yeah I would ignore that gif without the study being attached to it. It seems to show that global warming means every year gets hotter, when really there is more of an ebb and flow to it to begin with. Also I've been there and I can personally attest to the heat, it's bad.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Heat differential compared to long run temperature, and yes.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Sometimes I selfishly hope that I'll be already dead when shit hits the fan in some decades. I have no idea how the world will deal with what will most likely be an insane global refugee crisis, once more and more places in the world will be unable to provide food and water for their population. Fortify borders and shot anyone who is fleeing from this?

Zaptruder

Banned
The geopolitical ramifications of climate change is probably going to be the most visible and salient consequence of increasing global temperatures...

In a few more years, the climate change debate will be a thing of history - because everyone will be too busy dealing with climate change refugees.

I was kinda expecting the fallout to largely start from agricultural issues... but reality is, that's *already* been occurring for a while now. No... mass migrations due to inhospitable climate is actually a real vector of change now. I would've thought this would've taken a while longer... but here we are. All the consequences of climate change is turning out to be more severe and more significant than we first estimated.

At the rate we're going, an unstoppable positive feedback loop in climate change doesn't look like it's all that improbable anymore. Just in case you're not keeping tabs, an unstoppable positive feedback loop in climate change means the end of the world and all life on it.

Jonm1010

Banned
The geopolitical ramifications of climate change is probably going to be the most visible and salient consequence of increasing global temperatures...

In a few more years, the climate change debate will be a thing of history - because everyone will be too busy dealing with climate change refugees.

I was kinda expecting the fallout to largely start from agricultural issues... but reality is, that's *already* been occurring for a while now. No... mass migrations due to inhospitable climate is actually a real vector of change now. I would've thought this would've taken a while longer... but here we are. All the consequences of climate change is turning out to be more severe and more significant than we first estimated.

At the rate we're going, an unstoppable positive feedback loop in climate change doesn't look like it's all that improbable anymore. Just in case you're not keeping tabs, an unstoppable positive feedback loop in climate change means the end of the world and all life on it.

Global Warming, and planetary mismanagement of resources, always gets me thinking about Fermi's paradox and how this issue may just be our wall.

Lamel

Banned
Climate change is going to fuck up the regions that are already going through extreme strife. Mid-east can't catch a break.

Sometimes I selfishly hope that I'll be already dead when shit hits the fan in some decades. I have no idea how the world will deal with what will most likely be an insane global refugee crisis, once more and more places in the world will be unable to provide food and water for their population. Fortify borders and shot anyone who is fleeing from this?
I want to be immortal just to see how the world plays out, for better or worse.

I-welcome-judgment..jpg

Overpopulation is the glaring (yet often ignored) issue for so many natural problems really starting to take form in the last 100 years especially.

YoungHav

Banned
All the hocus pocus and fear mongering about terrorists the U.S. spews will eventually happen, ironically due to our emissions.

User1608

Banned
Damnit. I can't believe I thought this was a hoax at one point. Hoping we can at least reduce the damage, somehow...

spekkeh

Banned
The middle east has more of a problem with urban heat islands than global warming. Temperatures have risen over ten degrees in recent decades due to air conditioning. Of course global warming comes on top of this, but this is at least something they can and should do something about it.

It would be pretty crazy if in 10 -15 years we witness the biggest mass refugee crisis in history.

It's going to be scary when mass immigration hit full swing and everyone is forced shoulder to shoulder. Humanity has proven we just cannot live together.

This Canadian Military historian, wrote this book about this upcoming problem back in 2008:
Gwynne_Dyer.jpg
51O2yuFz3bL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It is a great book and I highly recommend it. In it he talked about a big pending refugee/migrant problem as people in North Africa & the middle-East flee to Europe. He also talked about how the political situation in the USA would eventually change due to strong calls by people to 'seal the border with Mexico'. He talked about the farming in the Central Valley of California becoming increasingly difficult due to a lack of snowpack in the Sierras. Sound familiar?

But if you can't bother reading it, I highly recommend the various speeches he has done over the years that describe his general thesis:

MP3s of an excellent 3 part radio series on the topic:
http://gwynnedyer.com/radio/

Mp3 of a presentation he gave to NATO:
http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/news_60771.htm

Youtube videos of various versions of the talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLg8No0RVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc_4Z1oiXhY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5l_0bm6ko

The information is a little dated since the book is from 2008 but it still strongly holds up, especially in view of many of the things he mentioned starting to happen.

OctoMan

Banned
Isn't using one ultra hot day as evidence the same as saying it's cold in chicago therefore global warming doesn't exist?

Despera

Banned
So that's why it felt like my skin was about to go up in flames these past few days...

Not like we're not used to this kinda shit tho

Isn't using one ultra hot day as evidence the same as saying it's cold in chicago therefore global warming doesn't exist?

A 90 degree dewpoint at 100+ degrees is absolutely mind bogglingly insane. I'm not sure what that feels like, but it is approaching unlivable levels. Imagine if the entire planet felt like this.

Jonm1010

Banned

I think the fact that you can couple this data point with more generalized data such as this year is poised to be the hottest on record and something like the last ten year have the hottest years in history in them. At least most of those years. Then something like this becomes a frame-shot of the larger problem and not an outlier used to question the consensus like the snowball in Chicago proponents.

They need to be doing what we're doing in CA, which is using shade balls on their reservoirs.

ShadeBalls2.jpg

ivanhoe-resorvoir-93.jpg

The balls aren't actually for stopping evaporation, but preventing the formation of a potential contaminate. The media has turned it into something it's not.

http://grist.org/article/why-shade-...ialflow&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=update

Well, Garcetti’s office cannily realized that a connection to the drought would provide an excellent hook, especially for national outlets which are always on the lookout for their next “kooky California” story. (“Look at those Californians! They’re running out of water! Hahaha!”)

In their press release, Garcetti’s office noted that the shade balls will save 300 million gallons of water a year, which otherwise would be lost to evaporation. Sounds like a lot. But how much is 300 million gallons of water worth?

About $2 million at current rates.

The cost of the shade balls? $34.5 million.

Josh7289

Overpopulation is the glaring (yet often ignored) issue for so many natural problems really starting to take form in the last 100 years especially.

I am very concerned about it as well. If we're going to overcome it with technology, we as a species have got a lot of work to do.

KHarvey16

I don't even think the article mention global warming. That was aimed at op. But I guess climate change can be used in a more specific stance then broader one.

Of course the article does. It covers various events and trends to support its thesis.

This Canadian Military historian, wrote this book about this upcoming problem back in 2008:
Gwynne_Dyer.jpg
51O2yuFz3bL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It is a great book and I highly recommend it. In it he talked about a big pending refugee/migrant problem as people in North Africa & the middle-East flee to Europe. He also talked about how the political situation in the USA would eventually change due to strong calls by people to 'seal the border with Mexico'. He talked about the farming in the Central Valley of California becoming increasingly difficult due to a lack of snowpack in the Sierras. Sound familiar?

But if you can't bother reading it, I highly recommend the various speeches he has done over the years that describe his general thesis:

MP3s of an excellent 3 part radio series on the topic:
http://gwynnedyer.com/radio/

Mp3 of a presentation he gave to NATO:
http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/news_60771.htm

Youtube videos of various versions of the talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLg8No0RVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc_4Z1oiXhY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5l_0bm6ko

The information is a little dated since the book is from 2008 but it still strongly holds up, especially in view of many of the things he mentioned starting to happen.

Seems like really interesting stuff, thank you for this, I'll definitely give it a look when I have the chance.

wildfire

Banned

Trump was right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom