• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

Gui_PT said:
I'd love a remake of The Dig. Don't really see people talking about that game in this thread though =\

And yeah The Dig had at least 2 puzzles that made no sense at all, you just had to try everything you had on everything you could =P
Let me skip the ball tram video after the first time though. That got tedious after the third or fourth time.

feel

2w71dld.jpg

I think the game just glitched for me in the last chapter

I found the big X on Dinky Island, digged on it till I hit cement, then went into the jungle again and now I'm stuck on a perpetual loop of random jungle locations without ever getting back to the customer support area or the beach. And my only save and autosave are both after it happened because I had to leave for a bit earlier and didn't realize it was glitched before saving. Dammit, I was finally getting some steady progress after getting stuck for several hours in some of the recent parts of the game I couldn't figure out (not using any help)... FML!!!! I don't feel like starting over right now, but I wanna finish this awesome adventure..
:(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
On this week's Retronauts Frank Cifaldi explains the C he gave the game. I can see why someone would be disappointed - he makes it sound like they did a half ass job porting over the original version of the game.

I wonder if LA would ever just sell the plain old version of the game and let people just emulate it however they want via ScummVM. That may be too much to ask for though.

Teppic

Letters said:
I think the game just glitched for me in the last chapter

I found the big X on Dinky Island, digged on it till I hit cement, then went into the jungle again and now I'm stuck on a perpetual loop of random jungle locations without ever getting back to the customer support area or the beach. And my only save and autosave are both after it happened because I had to leave for a bit earlier and didn't realize it was glitched before saving. Dammit, I was finally getting some steady progress after getting stuck for several hours in some of the recent parts of the game I couldn't figure out (not using any help)... FML!!!! I don't feel like starting over right now, but I wanna finish this awesome adventure..
:(
The same bug happens in the original game too. I don't think you can get out of there once it happens, but maybe someone can offer you a save from somewhere near.

Just finished it. Loved it. A few voice actors weren't as I imagined the characters sounding but other than that it was great to experience the game again. I was surprised with how little I remembered compared to the first game; I got stumped quite a bit.

Now I want to play through it all again with commentary but doing the tedious stuff just to progress and listen to them isn't an appealing way to spend a few hours. Maybe I'll see if someone has put it on YouTube.

God I hope they give this treatment to at least 3 as well, if not 4 as well.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just finished it. Loved it. A few voice actors weren't as I imagined the characters sounding but other than that it was great to experience the game again. I was surprised with how little I remembered compared to the first game; I got stumped quite a bit.

Now I want to play through it all again with commentary but doing the tedious stuff just to progress and listen to them isn't an appealing way to spend a few hours. Maybe I'll see if someone has put it on YouTube.

Why would they need to? 3 & 4 already have voices and 3 is already animated.

They don't "need" to but it would sell a lot of games that are currently selling zilch and I like the updated graphics and choice of audio commentary. With Telltale doing the Tales games, it's the best thing LucasArts can do. :D

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
SomeDude said:
Just gotta say, without tim schaffer, ron gilbert ain't all that.

Tim Schafer ain't all that without the others (like Ron Gilbert or Dave Grossman for example) either. See: Psychonauts/Brutal Legend vs Grim Fandango, DOTT and Full Throttle.

soqquatto

Foliorum Viridum said:

can't see why they should. 3 is already and still good looking and 4 doesn't even exist. it never came out. you've never played it. stop implying otherwise.

StarEye said:
Tim Schafer ain't all that without the others (like Ron Gilbert or Dave Grossman for example) either. See: Psychonauts/Brutal Legend vs Grim Fandango, DOTT and Full Throttle.

How is Psychonauts an example of anything negative?

Haunted

People asking for similar special editions for 3 and 4 apparently have no clue what they're talking about.

Curse already looks like a special edition, but with better art direction. It's already voiced, and upping the resolution wouldn't nearly have the same impact as re-doing the pixel art of the first two (obviously). The only thing they could add are commentary tracks, really.

And 4... well, you can't make a special edition for something that doesn't exist.

Yeah teh original curse looks a milion times better than teh remakes,
has better animations and better voice acting.

They should just release the original on psn/xboxlive.

They shouldn't bother with the fourth game though.
That game's dead to me.

FerranMG

I beat the game last week.

I had already gone through an infinity of playthroughs of Monkey Island 1 in my childhood, but just one of Monkey 2.

Listen, this game is absolutely impossible to beat without a guide, and whoever says the opposite, lies.

I didn't remember almost anything (played for the last time 10 years ago), and had good fun out of it, but Monkey 2 is an entire league behind Monkey 1.

I love Melee Island, and I love Monkey Island (the island, mind you), but neither of Scabb, Phatt, Booty or
Dinky
are as great.

More random thoughts:
- Largo's voice: just no. It's high pitched in my head, and will always be.
- Control system: no fucking way, you can't translate a point and click adventure to a sort of 1-1 control scheme.
- Marley used to be cool back in MI1. :(
- The redesign of Herman Toothrot is cool: he looks like a crazy madman, not just like a naufragé (I looked this word up the dictionary, do people use it in english? :/).

MI1 and MI2 are the only games in which I have achieved a 200/200 (well, 100%) gamerscore ever. :D

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Buttonbasher said:
Steam just downloaded a 47.6 MB something. Anyone know what that's about?

Some music sync fixes.

Start a new game and switch to Classic mode for the other change. :D

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ben2749 said:
How is Psychonauts an example of anything negative?

Hey, I love Psychonauts as much as anyone and think it's one of the most brilliant things he's created. Plus I enjoyed Brutal Legend a lot. But as a game, they're lightyears behind DOTT, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango.

Animation-Imp said:
Yeah teh original curse looks a milion times better than teh remakes,
has better animations and better voice acting.

They should just release the original on psn/xboxlive.
I agree that it is a very good looking game to this day, but would it hurt to have a higher quality version?

I mean, to take this and turn it in to this is incredible.

Just imagine what they could make this look like if they got the artist back (who has said he's willing to update it) and all.

The special editions are now the definitive versions of the first two games, I have no doubt the same would be true for Curse.

Buttonbasher said:
Steam just downloaded a 47.6 MB something. Anyone know what that's about?

Adjusted timing delays for certain puzzles
Fixed missing music in Dinky Jungle
Fixed music synching issue with the Bone Dance sequence
Fixed various music cross-fading issues
Addressed Cursor issues when using an XBox360 controller
Added intro and outro credits sequences to the Classic version
Added acceleration curve to cursor speed
Increased volume level of "Classic" Chester

StarEye said:
Hey, I love Psychonauts as much as anyone and think it's one of the most brilliant things he's created. Plus I enjoyed Brutal Legend a lot. But as a game, they're lightyears behind DOTT, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango.
Neither Grossman nor Gilbert worked on Grim Fandango.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The special editions are now the definitive versions of the first two games
Don't think so.

I mean, to take this and turn it in to this is incredible.
They took some amazing low-res backgrounds and managed, in many cases (see MI1), to make them less detailed than the original ones while increasing the resolution and using modern computer graphics programs. Quite a feat indeed.

HadesGigas said:
Adjusted timing delays for certain puzzles
Fixed missing music in Dinky Jungle
Fixed music synching issue with the Bone Dance sequence
Fixed various music cross-fading issues
Addressed Cursor issues when using an XBox360 controller
Added intro and outro credits sequences to the Classic version
Added acceleration curve to cursor speed
Increased volume level of "Classic" Chester
thanks

Oni Jazar said:
I wouldn't say that.

Versipellis said:
Don't think so.
Why not?

I mean, I'm not one to be won over by pretty graphics and nothing else, and I have as much nostalgia as the next guy for the originals, but in this case I genuinely feel that it increases the enjoyment and immersion. The inclusion of voice acting is also wonderful as Threepwood's actor has always been wonderful at delivering his lines and only makes them funnier, I think. Okay, some of the supporting characters could have better actors, but it's nothing that ruins my enjoyment of the game.

Then again I consider the All-Stars versions of Mario 1 - 3 the definitive versions which a lot of people disagree with, so I suppose I'm more inclined to like updated versions of games rather than the "rougher" originals.

rizoo

Banned
Being a fan of the original games, I've been meaning to play this one but the reviews sort of turned me off (absence of iMuse, things cut from the original game, sloppy implementation of the commentary feature etc).

Now I'm kinda torn whether to try it or not.

rizoo said:
Being a fan of the original games, I've been meaning to play this one but the reviews sort of turned me off (absence of iMuse, things cut from the original game, sloppy implementation of the commentary feature etc).

Now I'm kinda torn whether to try it or not.

PC version has iMuse and now has the original intro.

Commentary feature is fine in the majority of the game, there's very few instances where you are forced to decide on commentary or hearing/reading the game.

Goldrusher

The artwork gallery (one of the extras) is absolutely amazing.

The graphics are now basically a carbon copy of the original '92 artwork. So beautiful.

Need some help with the third chapter guys, pretty suprised how the hint system doesn't reveal everything compared to the previous game.

I am walking endlessly in the skull hallways, and I understand I need to follow the song of the parents. I try to go left and switch the walls that have the "right" bones connected but I don't feel like I am doing it right. What are you supposed to look for from top to down with the body parts.

Extremely frustrating part!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
storafötter said:
Need some help with the third chapter guys, pretty suprised how the hint system doesn't reveal everything compared to the previous game.

I am walking endlessly in the skull hallways, and I understand I need to follow the song of the parents. I try to go left and switch the walls that have the "right" bones connected but I don't feel like I am doing it right. What are you supposed to look for from top to down with the body parts.

Extremely frustrating part!

For example:
The leg bone is connected to the head bone.
The head bone is connected to the hip bone.
The hip bone is connected to the rip bone.

Look for a door the has the leg bone on top, head bone on the middle, and hip bone on the bottom.

Then proceed to the next verse and follow the same pattern after entering that door.

ULTROS! said:
For example:
The leg bone is connected to the head bone.
The head bone is connected to the hip bone.
The hip bone is connected to the rip bone.

Look for a door the has the leg bone on top, head bone on the middle, and hip bone on the bottom.

Then proceed to the next verse and follow the same pattern after entering that door.

thanks
I didn't know that the bottom part mattered with the verse, I might be able to do this now thankfully!

I think I made a big mistake, I hope it is not a no return thing that plagued early adventure games.
I gave the second cracker too early, didn't think you had to wait to meet polly in the jungel first and i dont have any left

Sectus

storafötter said:
I think I made a big mistake, I hope it is not a no return thing that plagued early adventure games.
I gave the second cracker too early, didn't think you had to wait to meet polly in the jungel first and i dont have any left
It is impossible to get stuck in the game, so there is a solution which lets you advance.

Sectus said:
It is impossible to get stuck in the game, so there is a solution which lets you advance.

I noticed that in the end, I guess I overreacted at first.

Finished the game, unfortunately I knew the ending so it didn't give as much of a suprise. By looking at the artwork I wish they could just trace it again instead of doing the quick "paint" job. The sketches or the redesigns look pretty good, it is just in the style it is presented it looks a bit bad in my opinion.

Keikoku

Banned
Finished it last night. Loved it.
The twist really surprised me, but I just checked wikipedia and they are a lot of clues in the first and in the sequel, it makes so much sense.

Now, is LucasArt going to give MI3 the same treatment ?

They added the intro and outro to the classic version in both the iphone / ipad version and the PSN version. The gods be praised! :)
Thanks LA for listening to the fans. I personally really appreciate the gesture (especially since it cost them money, and at this point, won't bring much in)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
twitter.com/timoflegend

Schafer has a really cool series of tweets about playing this.

Going through this game with my girlfriend and loving it.

What is the latest news on Curse coming to XBLA? Is it happening? Is it possible?

epmode

I'm a lot more worried about a Curse remake than the two that already exist.

Curse still stands up VERY WELL and a remake that truly improves over the original would be quite an expense. It would take a lot of all-new cel animation, not to mention the new backgrounds.

If you're really interested in playing it, it runs perfectly on PC with SCUMMVM.

But I can't sit on a comfy couch with my girlfriend if it's on the computer! Also, it doesn't support widescreen. I just love Curse, it's always been my favorite and I'd love to see it in real HD on my plasma TV :D

epmode said:
I'm a lot more worried about a Curse remake than the two that already exist.

Curse still stands up VERY WELL and a remake that truly improves over the original would be quite an expense. It would take a lot of all-new cel animation, not to mention the new backgrounds.

If you're really interested in playing it, it runs perfectly on PC with SCUMMVM.
i still can't believe that there isn't a room somewhere with all the cel elements awaiting their scanning in high definition.

well, actually i do believe. i just don't want to.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a Curse remake would actually be kind of offensive.

a version that runs at a higher res, maybe, but that would be all I'd want from it.

Tomasooie

The 360 and PS3 versions have finally been patched. The intro and full credits have been reinstated on classic mode and the problems unique to each platform (non-functional iMUSE on 360, and mono sound on PS3) have been remedied. Thanks LucasArts!

Top Bottom