• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

Gui_PT said:
Use the bucket to get swamp mud. Get him dirty, get the ticket, pick up clothes. Laugh when you see what piece of clothing it is

It's a good hint, if I may say so myself

I KNEW it would involve
the bucket
! Rats, I was so close, too. At least I had the idea right.

Zeliard

God. This is so embarrassing. I used to blaze through adventure games as a kid, easily grasping the often-crazy logic and putting together various puzzles, and now as an adult trying to go back to them I feel I've regressed enormously.

But I will never press H. And I will never visit Gamefaqs.

I WILL PERSEVERE.

autobzooty said:
Okay, I'm stuck. I didn't wanna ask for help, but I have to.

I'm making the voodoo doll of Largo, and the only thing I'm missing is a piece of his clothing. I figure it has something to do with the laundry guy, so I've scoured Largo's hotel room for a claim ticket, but to no avail. I've also tried to find ways to dirty up his clothing so that he'll NEED to take it to the laundry, but that doesn't seem to be the answer either.

Can someone just give me a hint? I've been stuck here for so long! :lol

You need a bucket, and something dirty and messy to put in it.

Gui_PT

autobzooty said:
I KNEW it would involve
the bucket
! Rats, I was so close, too. At least I had the idea right.

Well, I didn't tell you how to
get him dirty
. Gonna let you figure that one out on yourself =P

Coop

Just got pass the skeleton song and I'm really disappointed with it. It was probably the
scene I was looking forward to the most. Oh well

epmode

Coop said:
Just got pass the skeleton song and I'm really disappointed with it. It was probably the
scene I was looking forward to the most. Oh well
Were the voices completey off-beat for you too?

It was the only place in the game that I just had to switch back to the old version.

So, this may or may not be important but....

Monkey Island 2 was the first game to use iMUSE, and it is used successfully in the remade version as well. iMUSE is also used (much more heavily, I might add) in X-Wing and TIE Fighter for DOS.

Perhaps I'm still clinging too tightly to the comments that ex-LucasArts president Darrel Rodriguez said about a forthcoming X-Wing announcement several months ago, but still. If they've already successfully brought iMUSE into the modern era, then that's one less thing they have to do if they want to remake X-Wing and TIE Fighter for Steam.

Honestly, iMUSE was my favorite part of X-Wing, and I've never seen dynamic music handled better than in X-Wing and TIE Fighter. It works very well in Monkey Island 2, as well. I really hope I'm not reading too much into this. I'd kill for that series to be reborn.

Gui_PT

Doesn't Halo's music act the same way as iMuses' ?

I mean, you're in the middle of a fight, rockin' song going on, you kill the last guy and the music ends perfectly.

Undeux

Somehow I never played Monkey Island, though I played some of the other SCUMM games growing up... should I get the first Monkey Island before I get this one?

Gui_PT said:
Doesn't Halo's music act the same way as iMuses' ?

I mean, you're in the middle of a fight, rockin' song going on, you kill the last guy and the music ends perfectly.

I haven't played Halo, but iMUSE is more complex than simply allowing a song to play when you're victorious. Generally speaking, it's only possible to do with MIDI for various reasons, but Super Mario Galaxy showed us that similar things can be done even with an orchestrated soundtrack.

In TIE Fighter, for instance, the song's tempo will be reduced when you're far away from combat, and as you approach, the tempo will increase and the song will change quite smoothly into something more intense. Different musical cues will come in depending on what's happening in the battle, such as when you shoot down an enemy ship or when friendly reinforcements arrive. All of this happens seamlessly and without missing a musical beat thanks to the endless power of MIDI.

Can't speak for Halo's implementation, but dynamically-shifting music is pretty common nowadays, that's not why iMuse was (and still is) so novel. As I understand it, it used a modified form of Midi that would actually add specific instruments and sounds to one underlying Midi track when certain cues were triggered, so that it still played as one continuous piece but with different harmonic lines. Think of it like a jazz ensemble, where different players come in to a song at different times even though the throughline is continuous. Even though dynamic music in games is nothing new, I've never really seen another game implement it at that deep a level; most games just have "action" cues or "exploring" cues or whatever, and the game just starts playing the right one when called without much of a transition, or a crossfade at best.

But I haven't played Halo so maybe it's better.

Edit: FFFUUUUUUU

Gui_PT

autobzooty said:
I haven't played Halo, but iMUSE is more complex than simply allowing a song to play when you're victorious. Generally speaking, it's only possible to do with MIDI for various reasons, but Super Mario Galaxy showed us that similar things can be done even with an orchestrated soundtrack.

In TIE Fighter, for instance, the song's tempo will be reduced when you're far away from combat, and as you approach, the tempo will increase and the song will change quite smoothly into something more intense. Different musical cues will come in depending on what's happening in the battle, such as when you shoot down an enemy ship or when friendly reinforcements arrive. All of this happens seamlessly and without missing a musical beat thanks to the endless power of MIDI.

Oh, so it's a lot more complex than I though. Thanks for that.

Maybe Halo has that, but I haven't noticed. Gotta go play and check it out.

faceless007 said:
Can't speak for Halo's implementation, but dynamically-shifting music is pretty common nowadays, that's not why iMuse was (and still is) so novel. As I understand it, it used a modified form of Midi that would actually add specific instruments and sounds to one underlying Midi track when certain cues were triggered, so that it still played as one continuous piece but with different harmonic lines. Think of it like a jazz ensemble, where different players come in to a song at different times even though the throughline is continuous. Even though dynamic music in games is nothing new, I've never really seen another game implement it at that deep a level; most games just have "action" cues or "exploring" cues or whatever, and the game just starts playing the right one when called without much of a transition, or a crossfade at best.

But I haven't played Halo so maybe it's better.

Edit: FFFUUUUUUU

Yeah, you're totally right. iMUSE is far more sophisticated than the simple musical cues we see in video games nowadays.

Edit: To get a better idea of what it does, try walking between the various areas in Monkey Island 2. The music will change, but you'll hardly even notice it because it happens so seamlessly. Also, when you row up to the Voodoo Lady's shack in the swamp, percussion is slowly added to the creepy music. X-Wing and TIE Fighter take it to a whole other level though, by changing fast paced music within a fast paced game. It's something that still hasn't been matched today.

Nintendo also did something similar in Majora's Mask. For example when you run around and you start battling an enemy it smoothly transitions into the battle music and smoothly back again when the enemy is dead.

Don't remember if OoT used that system, but I'm pretty sure that Twilight Princess does as well.

Yeah, I remember that in Ocarina of Time. Certain instruments would come into the music if you were in certain spots in Kokiri forest; if enemies were nearby it would go into a minor key and turn sinister but still basically be the same music.

I also remember it in Super Mario 64. In the water levels, at certain spots drums would come in and play a rhythm, but most of the time the piece was percussion-less.

Coop

epmode said:
Were the voices completey off-beat for you too?

It was the only place in the game that I just had to switch back to the old version.
Yeah it was off beat by like a second.

AndyMoogle said:
Nintendo also did something similar in Majora's Mask. For example when you run around and you start battling an enemy it smoothly transitions into the battle music and smoothly back again when the enemy is dead.

Don't remember if OoT used that system, but I'm pretty sure that Twilight Princess does as well.

Yeah it's been in every Zelda game since and including OoT. But even still, that was just a simple cross fading of two music tracks. Nothing too complicated. Wind Waker, on the other hand, had dynamic orchestral hits when your sword would hit an enemy, and the orchestral hit would always be in tune with the music. I think TP might have done this as well. Even iMUSE never did anything like that. That kind of thing is the reason that Twilight Princess didn't have an orchestrated soundtrack.

In most cases, I think MIDI is far better for use in video games, provided you're using high quality MIDI soundbanks. People associate MIDI with "low quality sound," but that doesn't have to be the case nowadays.

netguy503

Zeliard said:
God. This is so embarrassing. I used to blaze through adventure games as a kid, easily grasping the often-crazy logic and putting together various puzzles, and now as an adult trying to go back to them I feel I've regressed enormously.

I WILL PERSEVERE.

Don't press H. You'll miss a silver trophy/achievement. :(

Fowler

The debate here is why, IMO, MI2's ending is so brilliant.

It's a mindfuck, but it's a logical one because of all the little hints they drop. And then even after they give you the whole It's a Kid at a Theme Park explanation, Elaine appears to suggest that's not true. It's basically an open ending: You get to decide for yourself which interpretation you prefer: LeChuck's Spell or Kid Guybrush's Dream.

Did you feel cheapened by the world of Monkey Island being non-existent? Fine, then LeChuck put a spell on Guybrush, it's all real, and the theme park is fake.

Loved the absurdity of the twist? Then Elaine's line at the end becomes one final shock to keep you off your toes. Personally, I prefer this. But that's my preference, and it's not one that's universally shared judging by this thread -- and that's the beauty of it. It's absolutely brilliant.

Sectus

autobzooty said:

What about X-Wing vs TIE Fighter or X-Wing: Alliance? It's been so long since I played those games, were they able to keep the same kind of dynamic music as the first games?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sectus said:
What about X-Wing vs TIE Fighter or X-Wing: Alliance? It's been so long since I played those games, were they able to keep the same kind of dynamic music as the first games?

I haven't played XvT in ages, but I'm pretty sure they went with cd redbook audio like every other starwars game in that era.

Sectus said:

XvT didn't even try. It just used the soundtrack from the movies.

XWA made an attempt, though. It had similar cues to X-Wing and TIE Fighter, but it too just used the soundtrack from the movie, so it was left with awkward and jarring changes between different songs from the movies, without any tempo or key signature coherence. In the end it just sounded like a mess and made me wish that an original soundtrack had been written for the game, preferably with MIDI.

Come to think of it, I don't think a Star Wars game has had an original soundtrack written for it sine Rogue Squadron. I'm getting quite sick of it, really. X-Wing and TIE Fighter had amazing soundtracks that were inspired by -- rather than ripped from -- the movies.

wouwie

Zeliard said:

I WILL PERSEVERE.

The same for me. I used to play a lot of adventures (even more recent ones like Syberia and such) and rarely used a walkthrough but with this one, i'm scratching my brain a lot.

I must be blind though as i can't find any envelopes in the jail. I need to have my map back

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Zeliard said:

I WILL PERSEVERE.
I don't recall blazing through these games as a kid. It would take me quite a while with some games. I played The Dig for months (not constantly, mind you, but it definitely stayed in rotation). I think I simply have less patience these days. Where as I used to be able to wander around looking at everything for hours without a problem, I now find myself simply wanting to push on if I don't find a solution fairly quickly and will consult a guide. :\

Kinyou

Gah, I still haven't bought it because of the missing Imuse on the 360.

I even have started a thread on the official forum + send an email to the customer support but none of that was any good...

I really hope that Lucas Arts will not just forget about this and leave the 360 version incomplete :(

itxaka

Defeatist
dark10x said:
I don't recall blazing through these games as a kid. It would take me quite a while with some games. I played The Dig for months (not constantly, mind you, but it definitely stayed in rotation). I think I simply have less patience these days. Where as I used to be able to wander around looking at everything for hours without a problem, I now find myself simply wanting to push on if I don't find a solution fairly quickly and will consult a guide. :\

Well, IMO the Dig was the most difficult Lucasarts adventure game, close to Maniac Mansion. I spent months as well to beat the fucker.

ch0mp

dark10x said:

I remember getting stuck in some of these for days, sometimes weeks when I was a kid. Really helped to play with a mate it was fun figuring out the puzzles together and didn't take so long.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ch0mp said:
I remember getting stuck in some of these for days, sometimes weeks when I was a kid. Really helped to play with a mate it was fun figuring out the puzzles together and didn't take so long.
Ah yes, I used to do that as well. So much fun!

I think the biggest challenge we faced back then was The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth. Now THAT was a balls out hard adventure game. It also had a very unique atmosphere that kept us going, but still, it was incredibly difficult. Discworld was up there as well.

dark10x said:
Ah yes, I used to do that as well. So much fun!

I think the biggest challenge we faced back then was The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth. Now THAT was a balls out hard adventure game. It also had a very unique atmosphere that kept us going, but still, it was incredibly difficult. Discworld was up there as well.
I remember spending days with a friend trying to find Largo's claim ticket. Such an ingenious hiding location.

I am old enough that when point and click adventures came out they were seen as relatively easy games. The hardcore stuff was kings quest, police quest and so on with keyboard commands. :lol

I remember playing and giving up on an adventure game called Hugo's house of horrors. I did not even manage to enter the house. Years later I learned
that the key was under the doormat all along
... :(

Tomasooie

Kinyou said:
Gah, I still haven't bought it because of the missing Imuse on the 360.

I even have started a thread on the official forum + send an email to the customer support but none of that was any good...

I really hope that Lucas Arts will not just forget about this and leave the 360 version incomplete :(

I did the latter, as well. I got a useless automated email back saying they were glad I was able to resolve my problem (what?).

But don't worry, LucasArts has heard the complaints. They've posted this on their Monkey Island facebook page:

LucasArts said:
We're hearing all your feedback and will have news on much of it shortly. To clarify: MISE2 isn't planned for an OSX release at this time, will let you know if and when that changes!

ArjanN

dark10x said:

I doubt anyone blazed through these games the first time.

Even though Lucasarts games didn't have dead ends and you often couldn't even die, in most of them it's still pretty easy to miss an item somewhere and get stuck for a while. Or the solution to a puzzle was some sort of joke punchline that only made comedic sense, but not logical sense, like the
"monkey wrench"
in Monkey Island 2

ArjanN said:

Even though Lucasarts games didn't have dead ends and you often couldn't even die, in most of them it's still pretty easy to miss an item somewhere and get stuck for a while. Or the solution to a puzzle was some sort of joke punchline that only made comedic sense, but not logical sense, like the
"monkey wrench"
in Monkey Island 2
that puzzle was murder in europe.

we don't call them that in England! it made NO sense at all to me. we got stuck for so long at that point.

itxaka

Defeatist
ArjanN said:

"monkey wrench"
in Monkey Island 2

You could die in their first ones. Maniac Mansion with a nuke, and Zak running out of air in the moon :lol

Next remake: Zak! (Pretty please with cream on top?)

itxaka said:
You could die in their first ones. Maniac Mansion with a nuke, and Zak running out of air in the moon :lol

Next remake: Zak! (Pretty please with cream on top?)
you could dead end Zak too by doing certain things. was still nothing like as brutal as Sierra titles though.

and it was Mars, not the moon ;)

nofi

plagiarize said:
you could dead end Zak too by doing certain things. was still nothing like as brutal as Sierra titles though.

Zak was amazing, I'd buy a remake in a heartbeat.

itxaka

Defeatist
Jucksalbe said:
But that one really would need to be redone. It has too many flaws to just make it run on top of the old game.

How come? The FM-Towns version is pretty awesome, even compared to MI1 and 2 it shines a lot more.

Argh! I can't believe I forgot it was mars, goddamit. Seems that I have to play it again to remember!

Radogol

itxaka said:
How come? The FM-Towns version is pretty awesome, even compared to MI1 and 2 it shines a lot more.

I don't think you remember Zak very well. You could die in a lot more spots that the one place you mentioned, and it was very easy to reach a dead end. That's not to say it isn't awesome - it is - but the design is much, much more retro than Monkey Island.

itxaka

Defeatist
Radogol said:
I don't think you remember Zak very well. You could die in a lot more spots that the one place you mentioned, and it was very easy to reach a dead end. That's not to say it isn't awesome - it is - but the design is much, much more retro than Monkey Island.

Ahh, alright I thought he meant as less polished or with worst graphics not the gameplay.

Yep, It actually it's a difficult game and you can easier get blocked/killed/fucked easily than MI1&2.

Well I would also accept a Loom Remake. It's easier, impossible to get killed (IIRC) and different than anything else, not counting that Loom graphics on HD would be orgasmic.

Suairyu

Banned
ArjanN said:
"monkey wrench"
in Monkey Island 2
Honestly, I think Day Of The Tentacle is the only adventure game that has managed to get it's puzzles just right, but that is probably due to the "single location, multiple points in time" gimmick which inspires logical (but hilarious) thinking in both the player and the puzzle designer. Only bit that got me stuck briefly was the solution to making it rain/thunder in the past, but that was a temporary blip rather than the hours-on-end "what the fuck am I meant to do??" road blocks that every other adventure game tends to have.

itxaka said:
Ahh, alright I thought he meant as less polished or with worst graphics not the gameplay.

Yep, It actually it's a difficult game and you can easier get blocked/killed/fucked easily than MI1&2.

Well I would also accept a Loom Remake. It's easier, impossible to get killed (IIRC) and different than anything else, not counting that Loom graphics on HD would be orgasmic.
Loom would be my choice. The CD version with the nice music and voice acting was edited (to fit the sound data on the CD) and doesn't have the gorgeous close ups that the FM-TOWNS version has.

new graphics maintaining the close ups and new voice work based on the full script (+ the audio tape) would be ideal. if they want to get back the same actors i'd have no complaints.

Radogol

I agree. Loom is fantastic, has one of the most original, interesting worlds ever seen in games and it could potentially be a hit with casual gamers due to the control system. Alas, the fact that it was recently rereleased on Steam doesn't bode well for a SE.

Zeliard

dark10x said:

I meant "blaze through" as relative to the point I am right now with these games, which is that of a plodding grunt. I think I've lost patience as well, but when I was younger I was also able to more effectively put certain objects together. These days I'll be playing some adventure game, and when I realize what two objects have to go together, I'm just like "what? THAT goes with THAT?" But when I was a kid, stuff like that seemed perfectly sensical. :lol

As far as The Dig, well, that one is just nutty. If anyone's managed to beat that game without some sort of outside help, they deserve an award. I remember the puzzles getting particularly obtuse towards the end. Even so, one of the most memorable games I played as a kid. I particularly loved the setting and the atmosphere. Wonderful art that game had.

Gui_PT

Zeliard said:
As far as The Dig, well, that one is just nutty. If anyone's managed to beat that game without some sort of outside help, they deserve an award. I remember the puzzles getting particularly obtuse towards the end. Even so, one of the most memorable games I played as a kid. I particularly loved the setting and the atmosphere. Wonderful art that game had.

I'd love a remake of The Dig. Don't really see people talking about that game in this thread though =\

And yeah The Dig had at least 2 puzzles that made no sense at all, you just had to try everything you had on everything you could =P

liger05

me and my brother would harass this kid in school for help with monkey island. Eventually he got really annoyed pleading for us to leave him alone lol

Top Bottom