• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ambalek said:
Has anyone else found this bug?

I'm hanging over the acid with Wally, and I let them die on purpose. After the cut scene with Elaine, it goes back to the acid pit...

That's no bug... I don't remember if it was like that in the original or not... but regardless of whether it was 20 years ago or just for the remake, they clearly intend for you not to be able to die and make a joke about it being a past-tense story.

I do seem to remember that being one of the few places you could die in LucasArts games? So maybe it was changed. It's not like dying in a LucasArts game makes sense anyway :p

Radogol

BocoDragon said:
That's no bug... I don't remember if it was like that in the original or not...

It was always like this.

Yes, Ambalek, that's a known bug. I'm afraid you have to start over, at least until a patch appears :(

Peff

The bug is what follows after he wrote that guys :D I guess there's no other way but to restart or wait for a patch...

Radogol

Peff said:
The bug is what follows after he wrote that guys :D I guess there's no other way but to restart or wait for a patch...

Aww, I wasn't quick enough with my edit :)

I realized that. It pays to always read the quoted post, not just the quote itself.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You know, if they get as far as remaking 4, I think that task should be handed to Telltale. Imo they've done justice to Monkey Island in 3D, ToMI looks great.

Also, did anyone encounter the bug near the cliff on Booty Island?

When you use the fishing rod to grab the piece of the Big Whoop map, it goes into an infinite loading screen

That was annoying stuff. Though it might have been because I switched to classic mode right when the loading screen popped up (WHY ARE THERE EVEN LOADING SCREENS!?)

ambalek

Radogol said:
It was always like this.

Yes, Ambalek, that's a known bug. I'm afraid you have to start over, at least until a patch appears :(

Thanks for the info. It's not so bad, I'll save a replay for when I'm actually mobile.

I hit that GBA Broken Sword bug as well where you could get into a state where you couldn't travel to a specific location, so I had to replay that as well.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Easy_D said:
You know, if they get as far as remaking 4, I think that task should be handed to Telltale. Imo they've done justice to Monkey Island in 3D, ToMI looks great.
That's exactly the reason why I said the problem with Escape wasn't 3D, but ugly 3D. TTG proved Monkey Island can and does look good in 3D.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Jocchan said:
That's exactly the reason why I said the problem with Escape wasn't 3D, but ugly 3D. TTG proved Monkey Island can and does look good in 3D.
I only played the first episode of ToMI... but I'd say both Escape and Tales look kinda 3D ugly. :p

itxaka

Defeatist
Jocchan said:

Meh, I think the problem with MI4 was the jokes. They weren't funny at all, like the swordmaster shouting "MONKEY ISLAND" when talking to them after abandoning them on the first game. Or Herman. Or the stupid diving contest. Or the lawyers. Or fucking monkey kombat (seriously, monkey kombat? WTF were they thinking).

After playing TOMI episode 1 thanks to GAF recommendation, telltalle has a good humor on the game, much more like the 1-3 games than the 4th.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
BocoDragon said:
I only played the first episode of ToMI... but I'd say both Escape and Tales look kinda 3D ugly. :p
Play moar ;)

itxaka said:
Meh, I think the problem with MI4 was the jokes. They weren't funny at all, like the swordmaster shouting "MONKEY ISLAND" when talking to them after abandoning them on the first game. Or Herman. Or the stupid diving contest. Or the lawyers. Or fucking monkey kombat (seriously, monkey kombat? WTF were they thinking).

After playing TOMI episode 1 thanks to GAF recommendation, telltalle has a good humor on the game, much more like the 1-3 games than the 4th.
Yep, of course I meant graphically. In my earlier post I forgot to say how stupid most jokes were.
I admit I loved the Iron Maiden reference in the prison, though.

Also, Tales episode 1 is, by far, the weakest of the bunch. Episode 2 is a big improvement, but the game really shines with episodes 3 and 4.

painey

MrSerrels said:
Sorry, but I can't be bothered trailing through this thread to see if this has been said before but…

Some of the voice acting is utter shit.

Kate Capsize
Largo
Stan
Elaine Marley

… are all absolutely terrible.

Agreed on all counts. I especially can't believe how badly they messed up Largos voice and character. Guybrush and LeChuck are still excellent though.

Radogol

Jocchan said:

If the special edition was just a new coat of paint, MI4 could look glorious. The backgrounds are pre-rendered, so all the polys would go to characters. Remember how beautiful REmake is?

Although personally, I half-wish the special editions would follow an alternate timeline, and the next game was Gilbert's Monkey Island 3.

itxaka

Defeatist
Radogol said:
If the special edition was just a new coat of paint, MI4 could look glorious. The backgrounds are pre-rendered, so all the polys would go to characters. Remember how beautiful REmake is?

Although personally, I half-wish the special editions would follow an alternate timeline, and the next game was Gilbert's Monkey Island 3.

One can dream. Maybe Lucasarts seeing at the success of the remakes, paired with the success of TOMI and their outsourcing of developing games it can become a reality.

Sectus

Radogol said:
That would be really neat. In my opinion, the MI series kinda lost some of its identity after MI2. From Curse and forward it just started recycling the same storyline about LeChuck kidnapping Elaine and Guybrush having to save her. MI2 felt like it was actually pushing the story and universe forward. I would love to see what Ron Gilbert had planned for his MI3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sectus said:
That would be really neat. In my opinion, the MI series kinda lost some of its identity after MI2. From Curse and forward it just started recycling the same storyline about LeChuck kidnapping Elaine and Guybrush having to save her. MI2 felt like it was actually pushing the story and universe forward. I would love to see what Ron Gilbert had planned for his MI3.
I think Tales of Monkey Island created a great little tale, actually, that did not follow this same mold.

Darklord

Banned
MrSerrels said:
Sorry, but I can't be bothered trailing through this thread to see if this has been said before but…

Some of the voice acting is utter shit.

Kate Capsize
Largo
Stan
Elaine Marley

… are all absolutely terrible.

Stan? This poster is clearly mad.

Mr_Zombie

Sectus said:

I agree.
I've played MI2 long after I've played MI1 and MI3, and the game was so different than those two games that at first I even thought to myself "Hey, this isn't Monkey Island!". The storyline wasn't about LeChuck capturing Elaine (more so, Elaine was just a minor NPC nonessential to the story), there was no "recruit 3 people and find a ship" quest, there was no sword fighting and there wasn't even the Monkey Island there!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Does Stan have the same VA as the first remake? His voice was pretty atrocious there :/
Just bought, and currently downloading, the iPhone version (I'll probably double dip on PSN later down the line).

CoolS

Jocchan said:
Does Stan have the same VA as the first remake? His voice was pretty atrocious there :/

Yeah I couldn't stand the voice actor either. But he was annoying so I guess it fits

parabolee

Have we confirmed that PS3 has Mono sound yet?

Such a F up, mono in PS3 and no iMuse on 360!

Seems Ps3 is the better choice of the two, but if 360 get's patched and PS3 doesn't, then you have the lesser version! ARRRGH!

I just know I'm going to have to buy it twice!

epmode

I'm usually REALLY nitpicky when it comes to voice acting but I'm just not seeing the problem with Stan. He comes off as a schmoozy 80s game show host and it definitely works for the character.

The Kate Capsize THREE HOUR TOURS thing is annoying but that's what happens when the remake is so rigidly tied to the old version (this sort of thing works fine with text blurbs but it clearly wasn't written with voice acting in mind).

And sign me up for a new Ron Gilbert Monkey Island.
Jesus Christ I love how subtle Monkey Island 2 is with the hints leading up to the ending. A few pipes here and there, barely commented on. Oh, a waterfall that can be turned off. That's weird (but no one says anything). The bizarre dream sequence, etc.

Best ending ever.

Fowler

Seriously: Is this gaming's best ending? I loved the ending to Monkey 2 when I played it way back when, and I still love it today. So great.

Sectus

dark10x said:
I think Tales of Monkey Island created a great little tale, actually, that did not follow this same mold.
Didn't it? It had some unique minor storylines in the game (like Morgan or Guybrush being put on trial), but the overall storyline was still the same:
LeChuck was "resurrected" in some way yet again, he was still obsessed with getting Elaine and Guybrush had to battle him once again and of course he's victorious and LeChuck appears to be "dead" now.

I'm not saying it's a bad story for that game (same thing with Curse, even though it took the storyline in a direction I didn't like, it's still good). But it just didn't try to move the Monkey Island series forward. I think MI2 is the only game which did that.

netguy503

Sectus said:
I'm not saying it's a bad story for that game (same thing with Curse, even though it took the storyline in a direction I didn't like, it's still good). But it just didn't try to move the Monkey Island series forward. I think MI2 is the only game which did that.

Is
Guybrush and Le Chuck being brothers
cannon for the rest of the series or not?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
netguy503 said:
Is
It's not. Supposedly.

CoolS said:
Yeah I couldn't stand the voice actor either. But he was annoying so I guess it fits
More than annoying, his acting was plain bad.

Sectus

netguy503 said:
Is
I'm pretty sure the developers of Curse tried to throw all of that out the window with making Big Whoop some kind of demonic place controlled by LeChuck.

As far as I'm concerned the series has 2 different storyline arcs:
-The one where every game is canon
-And the one which ended with MI2 because Ron Gilbert could never get to make MI3

Mr_Zombie

But doesn't Monkey Island 2 end
with Elaine stating "I wonder what's keeping Guybrush? I hope LeChuck hasn't cast some horrible SPELL over him or anything." which suggests that this was all just LeChuck's messing with Guybrush all the time?

epmode

Mr_Zombie said:
But didn't Monkey Island 2 ends
with Elaine stating "I wonder what's keeping Guybrush? I hope LeChuck hasn't cast some horrible SPELL over him or anything." which suggests that this was all just LeChuck's messing with Guybrush all the time?
You're right, of course. I just choose to ignore it.

Seriously, the entire game slowly builds to that ending, dropping awesome hints the entire time. Passing it off as a LeChuck spell cheapens everything. Extraordinary care obviously went into making the world feel just a little bit off; that there's something the game isn't telling you.

Hell, it's exactly why I love MI2 so much!

stuminus3

I've never taken the ending of MI2 too seriously, even since before Curse existed. I mean, the whole "brother reveal" thing is obviously a complete parody of the Star Wars "you're not my father" thing. I don't believe for a minute that Ron Gilbert intended the brothers/kid Guybrush thing to be "canon", and I don't think "his" MI3 would have ultimately resolved things all that differently, we'd still end up with Telltale's version of Monkey Island as it is now. I think he just likes to play up to the myth these days that there's more to it.

It's amusing and bizarre, but the early 90's were a pretty amusing and bizarre time for these kinds of games.

EDIT: sorry, I spoiler tagged all that, I forget that there's people playing this who possibly didn't see the ending of MI2 before!

If the commentary during the ending of MI2:SE tells us anything, it's that there really was no master plan for the series, story-wise.

The ending was chosen because it was fun and surprising. Do you think if Gilbert had stayed on board for MI3, the Big Whoop continuity would have been handled any differently than the way that Curse did it?

Peff

civilstrife said:
If the commentary during the ending of MI2:SE tells us anything, it's that there really was no master plan for the series, story-wise.

The ending was chosen because it was fun and surprising. Do you think if Gilbert had stayed on board for MI3, the Big Whoop continuity would have been handled any differently than the way that Curse did it?

Yeah, I've always thought that the whole "Only I know the TRUE SECRET of Monkey Island and it would have been in the sequel" was just Ron teasing because he thought with good reason that he'd never be able to do another after the Curse staff took over and especially after the huge decline of the genre. It was a bit sad that so much of the commentar was one of them saying "hey do you guys remember this?" and the other two going "eh, yeah, I think", but then again it's been twenty years. Still worth it for all the anecdotes and teamwork atmosphere they made it sound like :D

Sectus

Mr_Zombie said:
Even if that was the case, I really doubt Ron Gilbert intended for rest of the series to just use MI1 as story template (LeChuck as ghost/demon/zombie/human/insertanythinghere, attempts to marry Elaine, Guybrush kills him).

Maybe I'm just being completely foolish. But I like to think that if MI3 was made by the same team who made MI2, it would actually go in more original direction.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:

Well, without that there wouldn't be any room for a sequel. I still think
the whole game is just something a kid made up while wandering around an amusement park
. There are just too much hints to that in both of the first two games. But on the other hand, it's not a game that takes itself seriously, so why should I care?

epmode said:
The Kate Capsize THREE HOUR TOURS thing is annoying but that's what happens when the remake is so rigidly tied to the old version (this sort of thing works fine with text blurbs but it clearly wasn't written with voice acting in mind).

The Dinky Island parrot was the one that got to me. Especially since you had to wait for his line to finish before you could talk, and his were way longer than "SUNKEN GALLEONS".

Gui_PT

Just started playing The Curse of Monkey Island. It's been so many years...

There's an obvious connection to MI 2's ending, the game starts with Guybrush in the middle of the ocean, in a bumper car. But there's no mention of LeChuck being his brother though.

This game is beautiful and hilarious. It needs no remake, just an HD version

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
HadesGigas said:
The Dinky Island parrot was the one that got to me. Especially since you had to wait for his line to finish before you could talk, and his were way longer than "SUNKEN GALLEONS".

GLASS BOTTOM BOAT

Mr_Zombie

Gui_PT said:
There's an obvious connection to MI 2's ending, the game starts with Guybrush in the middle of the ocean, in a bumper car. But there's no mention of LeChuck being his brother though.

In Curse they just went with the
"It was just a LeChuck's spell" storyline

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Curse Stan/Murray are the best Stan/Murray.

Haunted

I think the developer's commentary pretty much clears up any and all confusion about the ending of MI2.

Worth it to play the remake for that alone.

Okay, I'm stuck. I didn't wanna ask for help, but I have to.

I'm making the voodoo doll of Largo, and the only thing I'm missing is a piece of his clothing. I figure it has something to do with the laundry guy, so I've scoured Largo's hotel room for a claim ticket, but to no avail. I've also tried to find ways to dirty up his clothing so that he'll NEED to take it to the laundry, but that doesn't seem to be the answer either.

Can someone just give me a hint? I've been stuck here for so long! :lol

Gui_PT

autobzooty said:
Okay, I'm stuck. I didn't wanna ask for help, but I have to.

I'm making the voodoo doll of Largo, and the only thing I'm missing is a piece of his clothing. I figure it has something to do with the laundry guy, so I've scoured Largo's hotel room for a claim ticket, but to no avail. I've also tried to find ways to dirty up his clothing so that he'll NEED to take it to the laundry, but that doesn't seem to be the answer either.

Can someone just give me a hint? I've been stuck here for so long! :lol

Use the bucket to get swamp mud. Get him dirty, get the ticket, pick up clothes. Laugh when you see what piece of clothing it is

It's a good hint, if I may say so myself

Top Bottom