• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

bigmit3737 said:
I need a save for the first remake. I was on Monkey Island( I think chapter 4?)

Will this be an issue with the steam version?
Thank you.

I remember the first few chapters too well to replay them again, but I want to finish the first one before I get the second one. Thank you.

Just PM me please and I will PM my email.

Asking one more time if you guys are replaying the game. Thank you.

nofi

BocoDragon said:
MI2 was the first MI game I owned... And I was fine understanding everything. The plot's very self-contained. You miss some of the in-jokes.. But it's just as fun to understand them later on.

Disagree. There's one bit that absolutely requires you having played the first... :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
bigmit3737 said:
Asking one more time if you guys are replaying the game. Thank you.
Wish I could help. My PC's power supply died so I can't get onto the HDD with my SoMI saves. :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok just to be sure:
The Curse of Monkey Island is available on PSN? Its an HD remake? (That would be the first one right?)

CryptiK

I have never played a Monkey Island game and as I am not well off I don't wanna blow money on a game I may not like, is there a demo somewhere?

Fersis said:
Ok just to be sure:
The Curse of Monkey Island is available on PSN? Its an HD remake? (That would be the first one right?)
The first one is The Secret of Monkey Island. And yeah, it's there.

CryptiK said:
I have never played a Monkey Island game and as I am not well off I don't wanna blow money on a game I may not like, is there a demo somewhere?
There's a demo of Tales of Monkey Island up. You could try getting a taste of that to see if you'll like this style of game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok guys, gonna buy both games then. :D
Thanks for the info.

Fersis said:
Thanks for the offering but i cant accept since i dont have anything to give you.
I dont like to take without giving back :3

Thanks anyway awesome dood.
No problem - hope you enjoy them as much as we all do :D

Peff

Fersis said:
Ok just to be sure:

- The Secret of Monkey Island is the first game of the series. It's been remade in HD and it's available on PSN, XBLA and PC.
- Monkey Island: LeChuck's Revenge is the second game of the series, it'll be re-released tomorrow/Wednesday on PSN/XBLA/PC.
- Curse of Monkey Island is the third game of the series, only availabe on PC, not remade (yet?) and not available through digital distribution.
- Escape from Monkey Island is the fourth game of the series, again only available on PC and it's the first 3D MI. People have mixed opinions about it.
- Tales of Monkey Island is the fifth game, it was made by Telltale Games last year instead of LucasArts, it's five episodes but it's a single game, it's available on PC, PSN and WiiWare, and it's pretty awesome.

I think I'll be able to replay the game until that part today, so I guess I'll post the save file if nobody else does.

Fersis

Peff said:
- The Secret of Monkey Island is the first game of the series. It's been remade in HD and it's available on PSN, XBLA and PC.
- Monkey Island: LeChuck's Revenge is the second game of the series, it'll be re-released tomorrow/Wednesday on PSN/XBLA/PC.
- Curse of Monkey Island is the third game of the series, only availabe on PC, not remade (yet?) and not available through digital distribution.
- Escape from Monkey Island is the fourth game of the series, again only available on PC and it's the first 3D MI. People have mixed opinions about it.
- Tales of Monkey Island is the fifth game, it was made by Telltale Games last year instead of LucasArts, it's five episodes but it's a single game, it's available on PC, PSN and WiiWare, and it's pretty awesome.

I think I'll be able to replay the game until that part today, so I guess I'll post the save file if nobody else does.
Thank you good man, you seem to know a lot about the game. * Looks at avatar * :lol
Yup gonna buy The Secret of Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revenge tomorrow.

epmode

CryptiK said:
Y'know, I don't think there are many demos of the classic adventure games. All I can find are newer demos of mediocre games.

There are demos of The Longest Journey, Dreamfall and Machinarium (which are all brilliant) but I don't think they're a good indication of whether or not you'd like Monkey Island.

I guess you can try the demo for Tales of Monkey Island but that series got much better over time and the demo is only the first episode.

Peff

fr4nz said:
Escape from Monkey Island is also available on PS2 IIRC.

Whooops, true, it looked better too!

About the demo, there was one for Curse of Monkey Island, which is a pretty decent sample of what to expect, but maybe some people will have to install ScummVM to try it. It's simple to do, though.

Reknoc

Peff said:

Actually it was also released on PS2 though I'm sure it was a terrible port.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So much nicer looking than the first remake, which I still liked and play on Iphone from time to time :) Getting this on multiple platforms the moment it's up.

Reknoc said:
Eh, other than some loading times it was OK. I played it for some time to try out even though I finished the PC version. In fact, PC version was so buggy at some parts (crashing, some puzzles not registering etc) that I've heard PS2 version was less frustrating in the long run.

The game was horrible though, especially after the radiant Curse of Monkey Island, the greatest click and point adventure ever created.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Reknoc said:
I believe the cutscenes were higher resolution, actually. I played through it back in the day.. It was fine.

But considering the PS2 version is rare.. You might as well play the PC version....

Reknoc

Well consider me wrong then, guess that's what I get for assuming it was terrible because I remember it going dead cheap preowned.

Peff

I don't think they touched Monkey Kombat for the PS2 release... the techniques were all there, the final boss (sigh) was still there, and the most annoying part, the button combinations were still random each time you started a new game, so every time you reach it you have to grab pen and paper.

ant3b

I remember getting up-to a part on Escape from Monkey island with a parrot and for the love of god i could not get passed it.. im sure it was bugged.. I even used the guide on a second time through to do it and still didn't work.

Radogol

Peff said:
The most annoying part, the button combinations were still random each time you started a new game, so every time you reach it you have to grab pen and paper.

Stop spreading lies. The PS2 version kept track of the combinations you've learned and you had unlimited acces to an in-game chart.

maniac-kun said:
Allready preordered this! Day of the Tentacle HD next please!

Would they do Day of the Tentacle without doing Maniac Mansion first? I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure I would buy most, if not all, of the old LA adventure games. I think they'll try to port/remake all of the Monkey Island games before doing the other franchises. Maybe they'll do Sam and Max Hit the Road Remake first because Sam and Max have had downloadable episode contents.

I hope these games are selling well enough so that we'll get more remakes and more episodic contents.

Peff

Radogol said:
Stop spreading lies. The PS2 version kept track of the combinations you've learned and you had unlimited acces to an in-game chart.

Really? Where? Still, the point remains that in one playthrough Anxious Ape could be "Ack, Eek, Chee" and beat Charging Chimp, and in the following it would lose to it and be "Chee, Oop, Ack".

ghostmind said:
Control-wise is there a "better" version between PSN and XBLA, or does it just come down to personal preference?
Comes down to preferences. Nothing beats the keyboard and mouse for the PC version though. :lol

Dougald

Lafazar said:
Just in case someone doesn't know this yet: If you preorder MI2 on Steam and already own MI1 you can gift the spare MI1 to someone else.

Thank you!! Now to pre-order (I already own the first game but know some people who would benefit)

AranhaHunter said:
Would they do Day of the Tentacle without doing Maniac Mansion first? I'm not sure.

Yes please ! Maniac Mansion HD then DOTT.

I beat the first one never having played it, so I'm looking forward to it.

CMI is still my favorite.

Fersis

So whats the joke with Guybrush hair ? Dont get it =/

Larsen B

For some reason there's a Mac version of SoMI:SE available on Agent Gamer or something but it's not on Steam. If I buy the MI2 Steam pre-order and get the SoMI:SE free, are both likely to have Mac versions soon?

Fersis said:
So whats the joke with Guybrush hair ? Dont get it =/

His hair in the Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition was horrible.

Incase people are newcomers, they should do the preorder on steam where they get the first game along with the second. Can't wait to play this :)! My favourite Monkey Island as far as I am concerned. I thought tales was decent but not that great so will be nice to come back to the classics.

Radogol

Peff said:
Really? Where? Still, the point remains that in one playthrough Anxious Ape could be "Ack, Eek, Chee" and beat Charging Chimp, and in the following it would lose to it and be "Chee, Oop, Ack".

Yes, but the chart is dynamic from playthrough to playthrough and shows you what beats what. I can't find any screens online, but if you have the game, an appropriate saved state, and your PS2 plugged in, press R2 during combat.

Enk

makes good threads.
Obligatory popping into this thread to say:

This is an extraodinary adventure with an interface of magic...

... stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes...

... sophisticated score and musical effects.

Not to mention the detailed animation and special effects,
elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects, and magic voodoo spells.

BEAT THE RUSH!

Go out and buy Loom™ Monkey Island™2 : Lechuck's Revenge today this week!

Sectus

AranhaHunter said:

I'm pretty sure I would buy most, if not all, of the old LA adventure games. I think they'll try to port/remake all of the Monkey Island games before doing the other franchises. Maybe they'll do Sam and Max Hit the Road Remake first because Sam and Max have had downloadable episode contents.

I hope these games are selling well enough so that we'll get more remakes and more episodic contents.
In an interview, the project lead for Monkey 1 and 2 remakes mentioned he really wants to do a Maniac Mansion remake, so maybe that's something they'll be doing next. He also specifically mentioned he really wanted a remake of Maniac Mansion where the first thing you notice is that the key for the front door is *not* under the mat, as a sign it's different and you can't use the same solutions to the puzzles.

If they are gonna remake any of the games with talkie versions I wonder how they'll handle the speech. Do they have access to the original speech in good quality? If taken directly from the old games, the sound is gonna be in rather bad quality. And personally I wouldn't want them to do re-do the voices as all of the Lucas games with voices have really good acting.

But well, as far as I'm concerned, they might as well remake the entire LucasArts adventure catalogue!

Peff

Radogol said:
Yes, but the chart is dynamic from playthrough to playthrough and shows you what beats what. I can't find any screens online, but if you have the game, an appropriate saved state, and your PS2 plugged in, press R2 during combat.

Well there it is. That would have been useful back then :lol

Been playing through the first game to get ready for this one on Wednesday. One of the few games I'll be buying this summer.

Never played monkey island. Bought this with MI as a preorder bonus and the tales of monkey island for like 20 bucks. Cant beat that. Playing through the first now. Really enjoying it.

Salsa

Done!

2iu9h0n.jpg

Cant waaaaaait.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Enk said:
Obligatory popping into this thread to say:

This is an extraodinary adventure with an interface of magic...

... stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes...

... sophisticated score and musical effects.

Not to mention the detailed animation and special effects,
elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects, and magic voodoo spells.

BEAT THE RUSH!

Go out and buy Loom™ Monkey Island™2 : Lechuck's Revenge today this week!
Enk
makes good threads posts.
(Today, 09:50 PM)
Reply | Quote

Top Bottom