• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

burgerdog

What's the difference between the special edition games and the pack that was on sale yesterday on steam? I'm extremely confused.

Salsa

burgerdog said:
What's the difference between the special edition games and the pack that was on sale yesterday on steam? I'm extremely confused.

This are HD remakes of the original Monkey Island games.

Tales of Monkey Island is a new episodic game by Telltale (this is the one that was on sale yesterday). It starts off several years after the 4th original Monkey Island game (wich i dont consider cannon, because it sucks), although it completely discards the Tri-Island area from previous games, so it can be a good place for newcomers to the series as well. Youll just be missing some references. I would still recommend starting with these remakes.

Both are great, but these are classics.

burgerdog

SalsaShark said:
This are HD remakes of the original Monkey Island games.

Tales of Monkey Island is a new episodic game by Telltale (this is the one that was on sale yesterday). It starts off several years after the 4th original Monkey Island game (Wich i dont consider cannon, because it sucks), Although it completely discards the Tri-Island area from previous games.

Both are great, but these are classics.

Ah, gotcha. I'll be buying this one as soon as it's out!

Salsa

burgerdog said:
Ah, gotcha. I'll be buying this one as soon as it's out!

If you get it now (before July 7), you get Monkey Island 1 Special Edition for free. I recommend you do that since this is a sequel.

Bought. Thanks for the heads-up about the Steam pre-order deal - I never bought the Secret remake. Curse used to be one of my favourite games as a kid, looking forward to playing through it again. Glad they give you the option to use voice with the old graphics, though if I hear good things about how it looks the new way, I think I may just play it that way.

netguy503

NathanPGibson said:
Two more days. Bought the first one when it released on XBLA but never got round to completing it. Went back to it a couple of weeks a go and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next instalment.

And the Worms 2 DLC is out tomorrow too.

Wait...wut? Worms 2 come out tomorrow? On what console? Don't toy with me son. I NEED this on PS3.

best monkey island

best adventure game

yes even over grim fandango

funniest game ever

will be getting this

turning that FUCKING voice acting OFF

MMaRsu

Do I have to finish the first game to play this?

Either way, must buy and I have to score some points!!!

Sectus

MMaRsu said:

If you already own it, then definitely yes. It's a great fun game, and it's not that long anyway. And there's many many references to MI1 in MI2.

eLGee

MMaRsu said:

I actually played the second one first back in the day. 12 floppy disks FTMFW!
Anyway, you should play the first one first.

Ravidrath

As much as I love Day of the Tentacle, MI2 is my favorite adventure game ever.

Or was... been a while. Definitely picking this up to see if it still is.

That said... I hope we see some more after this. Loom, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, The Dig... I'd rebuy them all.

Oh, and I've never played Zak McKracken, and have always wanted to... been trying to find the FM Towns version, to no avail. :\

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
eLGee said:

Only if you count the save disk (and you're talking about the Amiga version). The game itself came on 11 disks, but if you wanted to save, you needed an empty formatted disk which you had to provide yourself.

eLGee said:

Believe it or not, I got the Monkey Island 1 and 2 CD-ROM for free back in the day. It was either a free offer from buying Grim Fandango or a cereal box giveaway. I don't remember, but it took over 2 months for the game to arrive in the mail. I had forgotten all about.

I hope there's a special bundle price for Monkey Island 1 and 2 on PSN.

Salsa

milkyjay20 said:
best monkey island

best adventure game

yes even over grim fandango

funniest game ever

Yep, this game and Um Jammer Lammy are the only two games of wich i have posters in my room. There`s a reason for that.

feel

Can't wait. Always wanted to play these games, but never got around to it, until the first Special Edition came out, which I purchased and loved. I wanted so bad to play MI2 straight away afterwards, but for continuity's sake I waited for the remake (and I'm not a fan of that original gameplay interface).
I think I'll try and squeeze a playtrough of the first one before playing this one, just so that it's fresher in my mind, to catch all the references.

ArjanN

Ravidrath said:
As much as I love Day of the Tentacle, MI2 is my favorite adventure game ever.

Or was... been a while. Definitely picking this up to see if it still is.

That said... I hope we see some more after this. Loom, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, The Dig... I'd rebuy them all.

Oh, and I've never played Zak McKracken, and have always wanted to... been trying to find the FM Towns version, to no avail. :\

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom and The Dig were added to steam already so I doubt they'll do remakes of those.
If they're going to remake more lucasarts games, (I'm guessing they will, seems like fairly easy money to me.) it'll probably be one of the games they haven't added yet, like Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Sam & Max, Zack McKracken etc..

I think Day of the Tentacle is a likely candidate, it's one of their most liked games, and it would probably be one of the easier ones to do.
Sam & Max also, because the brand has been revived.

Grim Fandango and Full Throttle seem like they would require more work than the others since they had 3D stuff. Zack McKracken probably would more work because it's a lot older.

Personally, Full Throttle is the game I'd like to see them remake the most, it had a slightly more realistic looking style, so the low resolution hurts it more than some of their other games IMO.

mutsu

LiK said:
i dont see Mac Steamplay for the original or sequel. :(

The original never made it onto the Mac properly (must get it through GameAgent), but there's no excuse for the sequel not to be on Steam really. After they are done with MI2:SE on Mac they should go back to port it to Steam, and then also port MI1:SE onto Steam.

Radogol

ArjanN said:
Grim Fandango and Full Throttle seem like they would require more work than the others since they had 3D stuff.

Full Throttle didn't have any real 3D. It did, however, have pre-rendered 3D.

ArjanN said:
Zack McKracken probably would more work because it's a lot older.

Graphically, I don't think so. They redid all the artwork in Monkey Island from scratch anyway, so Zak wouldn't be any different. However, while Monkey is quite forgiving, Zak's design is sort of outdated with not only numerous possibilities to die, but also something almost unheard of nowadays - dead ends.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I would actually like to see them re-visit The Dig. It would never happen, of course, but it was actually one of my favorite Lucas Arts adventures. I was pretty young when it was first released, but I recognized the wonderful atmosphere and world they had crafted. It was quite immersive.

Sectus

Zak might be a good opportunity for them to do more original work. They could give it an entirely new artstyle and re-design some of the puzzles and general structure to make sure you can't get stuck.

Honestly though, when thinking about it, I personally don't care. Give me *any* LucasArts adventure game and I'll be happy. Loom, Indy, Zak, Grim, Maniac Mansion, Full Throttle, Dig... remake any of those and I'll be happy! After Monkey 2, I think DoTT might be my favourite Lucas game, so that has a slight preference.

Actually, after seeing Bill Tiller's twitter, having a MI3 remake would be really nice too. Just keep all the voice and music, improve the graphics and I'll buy that too!

Heck, remake me some Sierra adventure games too! Too bad Activision has control of those IPs now, so zero chance of that ever happening.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Posted in the iPhone Gaming thread

Monkey Island 2 is out for iPhone and iPad tomorrow morning

£5.99 / $9.99 on iPad and £4.99 / $7.99 on iPhone.

mzl.iawhuyoa.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.ofnufbsg.480x480-75.jpg

- Full voice over
- Re-recorded musical score
- Switch between Special Edition / Classic mode at any time
- Hint system
- Direct control or point and click
- Object highlighting
- Behind the scenes art
- Developer commentary

Radogol

Sloane said:
That interface looks better than the PC version's.

Isn't the PC version's pretty much like Curse'?

The first Special Edition had dreadful interface on the PC, that's for sure.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Worm_Buffet said:
Any word on the iPhone version having "retina screen"-resolution art?

Doesn't sound like it. And, according to the iTunes description, the iPhone version won't have Commentary or unlockable art - only the iPad edition.

eXistor

Even thbough I play MI2 at least once a year, I'm definitely getting this. I'm really not fond of the new graphics, but it's all just icing on the cake of course. The voicework is a great bonus, but no remake will ever top the original for me.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
After playing the remake of Secret of Monkey Island last year I was jonesing to play through MI2 again, but decided to put off until the inevitable update.

Pre-ordered it during one of my Steam sale purchases last week and can't wait, especially for the developer commentary!

Help!

Can't decide between the PC or PSN version. I like the controller interface, but I like the old-school feel of the mouse too.

Any significant differences to sway me?

marathonfool said:
Help!

Can't decide between the PC or PSN version. I like the controller interface, but I like the old-school feel of the mouse too.

Any significant differences to sway me?
You get the first part too for free on Steam if you buy the PC version. That's all I can think of.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just bought both remakes will download tomorrow.

V_Ben

Banned
1UP's review is up. Its... pretty brutal, i'll be honest. There's some stuff missing that sounds like it really should be there. They better patch that :/

however, it isn't a review of the actual game. no siree.
I'm sure anyone reading this text has already glanced over to the right and seen that I graded this game a C. Let me clarify this immediately: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge is among the greatest games ever made. It is one of the most tightly-designed, brilliantly written, timeless adventure games out there, and just might be my favorite sequel to anything, ever. If you depend on arbitrary scores to make your purchasing decisions, know that Monkey Island 2, as a game, is easily an A+. If you enjoyed the first one, I heartily recommend picking up its sequel.
this is a review of the changes that have been made to it, and how they impact the game as a whole. So don't freak out and say that he hates monkey island. :lol

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3180274

edit 2: they fixed the first image. click away!

edit: bits from the review that bothered me. the cut stuff especially.

For starters, the entirety of the original opening cinematic and credits is completely absent from Special Edition. This doesn't affect gameplay at all, but it does mean that there is no way to see some unique frames of animation (featuring dancing monkeys), gorgeous hand-drawn title cards, or a unique musical cue -- the only time the original Monkey Island theme song appears in the sequel, in fact.

Also absent is the ability to choose your difficulty level. Thankfully it defaults to the full game, but an all-inclusive Special Edition should not take the liberty to eliminate features from the original entirely.

The worst offense is the complete elimination of iMUSE, the interactive music system that made its debut in the original Monkey Island 2.

The Special Edition version of the game completely replaces iMUSE with recordings of each theme song played individually, with no effort to replicate the transitional effects from the original. Instead of smoothly coasting from one to another, the game rapidly hurls each theme song at you as you move around and, at times, inserts a loud thaDUMP drum sound to make up for the transitional effects. This would be forgiven if it was limited to the new HD version of the game, but it's absent from Classic Mode as well, meaning those looking to play the game as it was originally released will miss out on a huge part of what made the original game, well, special.

The cuts don't end there either. In the original game, the ending credits concluded with what might have been the funniest segment: a list of 50 constructive things you could do now that you had finally finished the adventure (such as washing your car, running for president, or having "a yelling contest with your neighbor's dog"). This section ? as with the original opening ? has been eliminated entirely.

Yikes. That's pretty disheartening. I'm still totally getting it, but damn guys, were these cuts really necessary?

V_Ben said:
1UP's review is up. Its... pretty brutal, i'll be honest. There's some stuff missing that sounds like it really should be there. They better patch that :/

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3180274

edit 2: they fixed the first image. click away!

edit: bits from the review that bothered me. the cut stuff especially.

Yikes. That's pretty disheartening. I'm still totally getting it, but damn guys, were these cuts really necessary?

Yeah I wonder if some of that stuff could even be fixed via patch. Those are some pretty serious omissions.

Unfortunately, that prompt continues to appear, with no visible changes, even after you've heard the track already. This wouldn't be an issue, except that the same area might have different tracks depending on how far along you are in the game. The only way to know whether or not a track is new is to play it.

Ugh.

V_Ben

Banned
Buttonbasher said:

Thats just a straight up interface design f*ck up. How could they not think that the player might not know whether the commentary track is a new one? i despair sometimes :lol

Fusebox

Banned
Anyone know if those issues are across all versions or if there's a chance the iPad version was handled by a different team?

Btw, Monkey Island 1 scales really nicely on the iPad.

V_Ben said:
Thats just a straight up interface design f*ck up. How could they not think that the player might not know whether the commentary track is a new one? i despair sometimes :lol
Yeah, Valve's system makes sense. Haven't listened to the node yet? It's Orange. Already listened to it? It's gray.

Hopefully that could be something that wouldn't require too much work to patch. :\

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit. they dumped iMuse? the fuck is this.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I can understand them ditching it for the remade version - that's gotta be pretty tough to do if they're using live recorded instruments, so technical limitations, I can understand. To remove it from the original version though? That is pretty lousy.

Top Bottom