• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

clip

SalsaShark said:
must.. resist.. making.... comment

oh god

Hey, he just wants to play a classic point and click adventure game using a controller...

wall.gif

Salsa

MomoPufflet said:
The sequel has direct control to utilize a gamepad. But of course you knew that, right?

I did not know that, it doesnt change anything though, to play a point and click adventure with a gamepad sounds like the most uncomfortable thing ever. But oh well, to each its own.

Coop

Ugh the iPhone version doesn't support multitasking. Hopefully they'll add it. Seems to be pretty good other than that. Well I don't care for largo's voice but that's a minor complaint.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SalsaShark said:
I did not know that, it doesnt change anything though, to play a point and click adventure with a gamepad sounds like the most uncomfortable thing ever. But oh well, to each its own.

Dreamfall played just fine with a controller. Indigo Prophecy, Broken Sword 3, and so does 2010's Heavy Rain! (actually, well Heavy Rain still had some bullshit issues with control, but that isn't the controller's fault)

Oh and Grim Fandango was a million times more comfortable to play with a Sidewinder gamepad back in 1998!

WASD sucks in Graphic adventures. Tales of Monkey Island with it's mishmash of direct control and point n click is some serious bullshit I'm confronting currently thanks to Steam Sale. Choose one damnit!

I just got the version from ps3, but HOLY FUCKING SHIT. THEY REMOVED THE FUCKING INTRO??!?!?!

WHAT.

THE.

FUCK...

;_;

What in the hell possessed you lucasarts! You reorchestrated the music for MI1, you could have done the same for the intro music of MI2. Talk about fucking dropping the ball, you bunch of lazy swines. :(

I would pay 10 bucks for intro dlc.

this might sound like a bit of an overreaction, but this game is now my new biggest disappointment of the year, and I am willing to bet it will remain my biggest disappointment of the year.

I just can't believe they did this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS3 version has been out for some time now. Got it, played it a bit and it is very well done. Much better than the MI1 remake. Imuse system would not be possible with track based music so they have crossfading instead with some transition sound effect here and there. Shame they couldn't keep imuse in classic version though, but at least now there's an option for voices in it. They probably sacrificed imuse there for the sake of instant transition from remake to classic :/

Graphics and animation are so much better than in MI1 remake and the console version is better done too. Feels very solid, direct character control works nicely, and while the screen still has black border around, it at least is nowhere near as big as in MI1 remake, so it can be eliminated by switching TV to overscan mode. Still there should be a screen resizing option available in game settings.

LOVE & TRUTH said:
Hey, after the disaster that was the first MI:SE were you really expecting a brilliant MI2:SE?
I think the omission of the intro cutscene is a bigger issue than any of the flaws of the first one.

MrSerrels

The intro is one of my favourite things about the original.

You're talking about the part where the monkeys fuck around and Guybrush taps his feet and shit, right?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
harriet the spy said:
I just got the version from ps3, but HOLY FUCKING SHIT. THEY REMOVED THE FUCKING INTRO??!?!?!

....what?

;_;

mutsu

I broke down and bought MI2:SE on Steam just to get the first one for free. I only have Macs at home though, so I am betting heavily on LucasArts to port it to SteamPlay!

flsh

Banned
mutsu said:
I broke down and bought MI2:SE on Steam just to get the first one for free. I only have Macs at home though, so I am betting heavily on LucasArts to port it to SteamPlay!
Just install windows on your mac. Steam is quite a killer app for PC and since getting the games to work is so simple with dual boot there really is no reason why not to.

Sucks that there is no intro but I read that only a minute after starting pre loading the game so I'm still excited :D

bathala

Banned
IGN said:
Sound 9.0
Both the updated and original iMuse tunes are beautiful and give a great sense of atmosphere. The voice acting is great, but I wish they’d replace Elaine’s voice actor to someone less shrill.

I'm confuse

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Er, ok. I don't know what to say about all this intro hullabaloo, but just wanted to say this is a great opportunity for newbs to this series to finally give it a proper look.

A couple of work chums (long time MI fans) sold it to me yesterday, and I'm currently really enjoying #1. And for all you purists out there, rest assured I constantly flick back and forth from remastered to original out of sheer curiosity!

Don't get me wrong though, I think this is an amazing lift for such an old 'niche' game. Would like to think the numerous pros outweigh the con of no intro.

I just tried the demo on PSN. The controls are an awkward mix of direct and cursor controls. I can't imagine playing this game without a mouse, I think I'll go with the PC version.

The absence of the original credit intro isn't a big deal to me. It was just monkeys and Guybrush. But mostly just credits.

Sectus

The 1up review seems a bit unfair. I agree with most of the complaints (especially the lack of proper music in the original version. The original MT-32 soundtrack is amazing), but well, most of the complaints are only about the optional bonus features. How many remakes out there do you have access to a classic mode *at all*? How many games are there with commentary tracks at all? As long as the main game is great (which they say in the review), then some flaws in those bonus features is completely okay with me.

I get the impression that if the remake didn't have those bonus features at all (no classic mode, no commentary mode... which would definitely make it a worse overall package), 1up would have given it a much more positive review.

nofi

Sectus said:
The 1up review seems a bit unfair. I agree with most of the complaints (especially the lack of proper music in the original version. The original MT-32 soundtrack is amazing), but well, most of the complaints are only about the optional bonus features. How many remakes out there do you have access to a classic mode *at all*? How many games are there with commentary tracks at all? As long as the main game is great (which they say in the review), then some flaws in those bonus features is completely okay with me.

I get the impression that if the remake didn't have those bonus features at all (no classic mode, no commentary mode... which would definitely make it a worse overall package), 1up would have given it a much more positive review.

Yeah, I don't get it either. They say the game is brilliant, then score it down based on things they added.

Hanmik

Maybe it´s just me.. but I liked the remake of Monkey Island 1. had nothing at all to complain about.
I played the game on my Amiga 500 back in the days. Loved it. Completed it several times, along with EVERY other Lucasarts Adventure game back then.
Last Month I bought the HD remake for my PS3. And I have to say, I just Loved it. Everything was just fine and dandy, and I felt like a little kid again, playing one of my alltime favourite games. I played through it both in Classic and HD mode. The only small thing I hated, was the game freezing up some seconds due to the autosave, but that was very rare.

Now I´m going to buy MI2 (I live in Faroe Islands, and have to wait for the EU psn store to update) and I realy hope I will enjoy it just as much as I enjoyed going through MI1 last month.

As a matter of fact I own all Lucasarts adventure games for my PC. Last summer I completed Day Of the Tentacle on my crappy nokia E51 mobile phone. That is how much I love these games. I sit on the toilet and play them on my small crappy MobilePhone.

masterkajo

Does anyone know a good online place to get MS points online (no shipping the card but getting mailed the code). I live in Europe.

Would the points I buy at amazon.com work at EU marketplace??

Need this game today.

Sloane

Banned
nofi said:
Yeah, I don't get it either. They say the game is brilliant, then score it down based on things they added.
Maybe the author scored the game based on, you know, his opinion? And if the missing things bothered him, that might have influenced his score?

Hanmik said:
Maybe it´s just me.. but I liked the remake of Monkey Island 1. had nothing at all to complain about.
The interface was terrible. Everything else felt okay to me.

Hanmik

Sloane said:
The interface was terrible. Everything else felt okay to me.

hmm... not terrible.. but yes it could have been better. Still didn´t bother me.

hmm..loking at you avatar and the "broken interface" comment.. i need to go to the toilet.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Where were all you mental, anal Point and Click purists when the Broken Sword remake had ENTIRELY REWRITTEN DIALOGUE?

:p

McBacon said:
Where were all you mental, anal Point and Click purists when the Broken Sword remake had ENTIRELY REWRITTEN DIALOGUE?

I think I vaguely remember you screaming to high heavens about the revisited intro speech, way before I was approved :). I agree that was not such a great rewrite, though.. :/

Don't get me wrong, though, I still think MI2 SE is probably still worth getting (if I can ever manage to get past the feeling of emptiness when I start playing the game. I haven't been able to so far). But I think the intro was phenomenal. The monkey dance was funny, the background images looked great, and most importantly, the music was unbelievable.

It was 'just an intro', but a wonderful beginning to one of the best adventure games of all times. I just read that the intro music was actually reorchestrated - and that you can listen to it solely by playing the credits. Why they couldn't be arsed to repaint those few images and put the dancing monkeys back is beyond me.

Read only if you finished MI2!!

If they remove the skeleton dance because they didn't want to hire singers, I will make a voodoo doll of Darrell Rodriguez

Hey i have a question for those who finished the game in english - most of you i presume. I played the game in french when i was a kid, and the part where you used the hypnotized monkey - jojo- on the pipe didn't make any sense. Now that I speak english somewhat correctly, I am _guessing_ it's because we were meant to use Jojo as a 'monkey wrench', but isn't that incredibly far fetched? In French it didn't make any god damn sense. But they added a splendid joke about the rat in the soup, so i forgive them

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
harriet the spy said:
Spoiler question

Welcome to the world of 90s point and click puzzles - puns! :p

And yeah, I still like the Broken Sword remake, but I'll never forgive that intro shit. What were they thinking?

Sectus

I just gave the PS3 demo a quick try. Gives a pretty good first impression. Artwork is MUCH MUCH better than the MI1 remake, and I'm really glad they gave animations extra frames. The walking animation in MI1 remake just felt weird how the animation was super jittery but the character still moved smoothly forward. MI2 animations looks much better.

I'm not convinced so far the music is better than the original MT-32 soundtrack, but well, it's still good and fun to listen to the new arrangements. And while it's a shame they removed the intro, the intro music is still there (it's played on the main menu, and on the XMB if you highlight the game). Voice acting sounds pretty good so far as well. Dominic especially does a great job as Guybrush.

One minor note. It looks like the console versions of the game gets borders around the entire screen once again (this happens even in 720p and 1080p). Not a big deal, but it's a shame you can't change that in options. At least the PC version will get the full view in 1080p with zero borders.

Now I just want the steam version to be unlocked so I can actually play the full version!

Sloane said:
Maybe the author scored the game based on, you know, his opinion? And if the missing things bothered him, that might have influenced his score?
Well, from a general consumer point of view, reviews are there to tell people whether or not something is worth buying. I'm sure there's a fair amount of people who will go "Oh, just a C? Game must be bad, I'm skipping." And from that point of view, it just seems wrong of them to give them a low score when they actually think it's a great game.

szaromir

Banned
What's the deal with no intro? Does it mean no opening scene with Guybrush hanging on the rope in a cave, Elaine sliding in (that's what I remember from years back :p) and then credits rolling in?

I think that's because original Broken Sword 1 still features beautiful graphics. I played the game for the first time in Summer 2008 and didn't feel remake was necessary at all. That's why whatever they did to "remake" doesn't ultimately matter.
212-thumb-1.jpg

szaromir said:
What's the deal with no intro? Does it mean no opening scene with Guybrush hanging on the rope in a cave, Elaine sliding in (that's what I remember from years back :p) and then credits rolling in?

Opening scene is in, but then it transitions brutally (imo) to scabb island. no title screen, no intro music, no credits, no nothing :/

Salsa

nofi said:

Offtopic but, your avatar.. is that Dartacan !? oh man i loved that show when i was a kid, LOVED IT.

Dogtanian in the US

flsh

Banned
szaromir said:

I think that's because original Broken Sword 1 still features beautiful graphics. I played the game for the first time in Summer 2008 and didn't feel remake was necessary at all. That's why whatever they did to "remake" doesn't ultimately matter.
212-thumb-1.jpg
This is one game that doesn't need updates (yet). Still so good looking..
I would love for a Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 remakes.

szaromir

Banned
flsh said:
This is one game that doesn't need updates (yet). Still so good looking..
I would love for a Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 remakes.
Agreed.
harriet the spy said:
Opening scene is in, but then it transitions brutally (imo) to scabb island. no title screen, no intro music, no credits, no nothing :/
What a shame.

Larsen B

McBacon said:

Don't remind me of the "fraternity" dialogue change, man.

Please.

Top Bottom