• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

epmode

I finally tried the game. PC version. The Imuse stuff is kind of hacked in, even in the old-school mode and it's definitely not the same as the original release. The audio transition from Wally's map room to the main town screen is flubbed. It's pretty much burned into my brain so I can hear the difference in a second.

Still, it's nice to have that sound bank instead of the Adlib stuff I'm so familiar with and the remake is definitely worth a playthrough.

edit: I doubt that they're actually emulating the synth audio so it makes a true Imuse solution very difficult without a LOT of work (and a ton of additional audio). It's OK for what it is but I was hoping for a perfect match.

I'm sure that the inclusion of the hotswitch from one mode to another is what made it impossible to do full-featured Imuse in the old-school version. The remake portion is obviously using real instruments so the game has to be built to handle that sort of thing instead.

Salsa

Im actually gonna play the first one again before jumping into this one, just for the sake of it.

For those of you who are playing it, did they at least fixed the weird character placement ? it was easily the most annoying thing about the first remake..

23wmv5d.jpg

Yeah the reason behind it is pretty obvious, but i guess they could find a way to avoid it, right ? like no extra unnecesary art that collides with the original`s character placement.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Vinterbird said:
Okay LucasArts, I'm cool with the cut iMuse and intro stuff. But this is borderline stupid:
Schaffer, really?

Nothing more respectful in special thanks than misspelling his name.

Sectus

Lord Error said:
I meant through your TV settings. If your TV is correctly set, it will display 1:1 1080p resolution, but every TV has an overscan mode (which is really always enabled by default when you buy a TV) so you just have to go an enable that.

I'm somewhat more miffed about the incorrect gamma problem.

Yeah, it's 1.2GB. So just to make sure, you've played the console versions to compare with PC? Console versions also have crossfading with some drum samples thrown in to mask the transitions, but it's not like 'proper' imuse.

Is there a non-steam PC demo available?
Yes, I've played both the PC and 360 versions a lot. One easy way of telling the difference is that the tune from the various boats when exiting will usually play 1-2 seconds longer so it gets to a proper position in the tune before it start the unique transition. And in the 360 version I'm pretty sure it's just a simple crossfade.

I got a capture card hooked up to my 360 so maybe I could record the same area from Woodtick on both the PC and 360 versions so people can hear the difference.

epmode said:
I finally tried the game. PC version. The Imuse stuff is kind of hacked in, even in the old-school mode and it's definitely not the same as the original release. The audio transition from Wally's map room to the main town screen is flubbed. It's pretty much burned into my brain so I can hear the difference in a second.

Still, it's nice to have that sound bank instead of the Adlib stuff I'm so familiar with and the remake is definitely worth a playthrough.

edit: I doubt that they're actually emulating the synth audio so it makes a true Imuse solution very difficult without a LOT of work (and a ton of additional audio). It's OK for what it is but I was hoping for a perfect match.

I'm sure that the inclusion of the hotswitch from one mode to another is what made it impossible to do full-featured Imuse in the old-school version. The remake portion is obviously using real instruments so the game has to be built to handle that sort of thing instead.
Have you actually recently tried the original Monkey 2? I tried it just now, and from what I can tell the transitions works the same way. It'll play between 1-3 seconds longer until it reaches a point it can start a transition, and then it starts it. Imuse on the remake seems to work the same.

I think the only downside is that the new music just isn't as indepth as the old one. Most of the transitions in the original has more noticable short melodies. It depends on the boat though. Like moving in and out of the bar has a very good transition. But Wally's boat does sound a bit hurried.

Also, a bit offtopic... I'm feeling a bit sad to hear that many people in here actually like the music in the classic mode in the new version. It sounds AWFUL compared to the original MT-32 music.

Here's woodtick from the MT-32 version: http://s-island.mixnmojo.com/download/7download.php?03_-_Woodtick.ogg - Compare that to what's in the classic mode.

http://s-island.mixnmojo.com/monkey2.php - Here's the entire soundtrack in MT-32 if anyone's curious. I really hope someone will eventually be able to make a mod for the PC version which replaces the ugly recorded midi music with the proper MT-32 music.

Teppic

Played it a little. Except for the art and animation it's great! Much better interface, talking in the old school mode, and the commentary is really interesting. The music is very well done too.

epmode

Sectus said:
Have you actually recently tried the original Monkey 2? I tried it just now, and from what I can tell the transitions works the same way. It'll play between 1-3 seconds longer until it reaches a point it can start a transition, and then it starts it. Imuse on the remake seems to work the same.
Yeah, it's similar in how it waits for a good transition time but the transitions themselves are what's fudged. It's still far better than just cutting to the next song though.

I don't want to sound too down on the game. I'm really liking the music in the remake portion and it seems like a far better remake than the last one. I guess I'll always have SCUMMVM for the old version.

Thanks for the MT-32 link, BTW. Great stuff.

Tomasooie

This is how I've judged the music to work on the Xbox version. There are no transitions at all, it just boots up a new track. You can tell because if you move back and forth between areas where the music should blend, you'll keep hearing the beginning of each track, exactly the same each time, with no differences in any of the instruments. The game doesn't remember anything about where the instruments are, period.

iMUSE's other uses have been stripped as well, like adaptive song endings in certain scenes like the first encounter with Largo.

This is how it functioned on the original version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N41TEcjcvM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjtxK_WT784&feature=related

Sectus said:
I got a capture card hooked up to my 360 so maybe I could record the same area from Woodtick on both the PC and 360 versions so people can hear the difference.
I'd really appreciate this.:D

Sectus

Tomasooie said:
I'd really appreciate this.:D
I'm about to record this right now. Hopefully I'll get it encoded and uploaded by tomorrow.

I was thinking I'd try to record something from the scummvm version too. Does anyone have any recommendation for a program I can use for recording from scummvm?

PetriP-TNT said:
They sure weren't kidding about the trial being a trial. It lasted like a scene or two :|
The trial ends once you try to leave woodtick (which is right of the sign once you gain control). If you avoid that path, you can actually do a lot in the trial. Talk with maybe 6 or 7 characters and do the first parts of a few puzzles.

Tomasooie

SalsaShark said:
That's the only place where something like that happened to me, and I think the only way to do it was to walk to that spot in classic mode and then switch back to the remake.

There's something else about that screenshot though, look at the bottom of the tree under the moon -- it's made up of huge pixels. You can also see some at the bottom of the image. Playing on a standard definition TV back then, I knew the art was somewhat sloppy, but this is on a whole other level! They didn't even try to hide the fact that they drew over the original backgrounds!

Salsa

Tomasooie said:
That's the only place where something like that happened to me, and I think the only way to do it was to walk to that spot in classic mode and then switch back to the remake.

Oh no, it happens in a lot of other places without switching to classic mode or anything (i didnt switched anything on this one), its easily the worst thing about it :/ yeah some pixels here and there that show lazyness, and about the pirates on the scumm bar not having chairs: they didnt have chairs in the original either. But yeah, they could have fixed it at least.

Sectus said:
The trial ends once you try to leave woodtick (which is right of the sign once you gain control). If you avoid that path, you can actually do a lot in the trial. Talk with maybe 6 or 7 characters and do the first parts of a few puzzles.
HMM? On the first try the game ended when I tried to enter the house next to the woodchuck, I didn't even try to go right from the starting point at start. I only managed to go to the bar and to the woodchuck... On the second try I managed to get to the cemetary and to the boat-dude via map screen, then the game ended when I tried to go to the swamp.

Sectus

PetriP-TNT said:
HMM? On the first try the game ended when I tried to enter the house next to the woodchuck, I didn't even try to go right from the starting point at start. I only managed to go to the bar and to the woodchuck... On the second try I managed to get to the cemetary and to the boat-dude via map screen, then the game ended when I tried to go to the swamp.
Oh, that's weird. I played the trial on PS3, maybe it works different there? Or maybe it's time limited?

V_Ben

Banned
Vinterbird said:
Okay LucasArts, I'm cool with the cut iMuse and intro stuff. But this is borderline stupid:

2vrv5p0.jpg

How come it's stupid? They came into a studio and recorded commentary for the game. I'm not sure what you dislike about that :/

SalsaShark said:
Oh no, it happens in a lot of other places without switching to classic mode or anything (i didnt switched anything on this one), its easily the worst thing about it :/ yeah some pixels here and there that show lazyness, and about the pirates on the scumm bar not having chairs: they didnt have chairs in the original either. But yeah, they could have fixed it at least.

People would get mad about the changes. :lol

Is there a patch out there that allows you to play the SoMI SE with mouse only?

I want to re-play it before Lechuck's Revenge.

Salsa

V_Ben said:
How come it's stupid? They came into a studio and recorded commentary for the game. I'm not sure what you dislike about that :/

Its Schafer, with only one F

marathonfool said:
People would get mad about the changes. :lol

lol, i guess youre right

BARKSTAR

Banned
I'm so glad they fixed the look of Guybrush in this one, he looks much better.

Just seeing him in the pic on this page from the first game still annoys me. I'd love if they patched in a new character model but I doubt it'll ever happen. Second game has a much better design all round as far as I can see and the control options work well whether using the old school point & click or the new interface. A steal for the money.

Haunted

wtf @ no intro. :(

At least tell me they've left one of the most iconic opening scenes of a game ever, in.

ZwUIw.gif

epmode

Yeah, that's there.

I feel like the game looks 8023608346083 times better than the last remake + a massively improved PC interface.

Salsa

epmode said:
Yeah, that's there.

I feel like the game looks 8023608346083 times better than the last remake + a massively improved PC interface.

It does looks better than the first remake, i think we can all agree on that.

Radogol

Haunted said:
Still puzzled why they'd cut out the opening credits.

To be honest, I don't see what the big deal is. It was just Guybrush chasing monkeys from left to right and back. The title theme is still present - it plays in the menu.

Coop

Is it possible to skip individual dialogue lines? There seems to be only an option for the whole conversation. Iphone version btw

Salsa

Coop said:
Is it possible to skip individual dialogue lines? There seems to be only an option for the whole conversation. Iphone version btw

You couldnt in the first one, im guessing this is the same.

Radogol

SalsaShark said:
You couldnt in the first one, im guessing this is the same.

Actually, I vaguely remember that you could in the first one by tapping the screen twice. < EDIT: Not really, no.

I only have the lite version of Monkey 2 for the iPhone, but I'm afraid you can't skip single lines.

I've heard that . works in the PC version, just like it does in all Scumm games, excluding Monkey 1 SE.

Which is better, the PS3 version or the 360 version? I'm assuming the PC version, but I'd like to play this on my big comfy couch with my wife watching instead of secluded in the back of the house on an old piano bench. :lol

i can't believe people are bitching about the lack of intro. i noticed it, said hmph whatever, and i happen to love the intro. what did that guy say about gaf being a bunch of whiny fucking babies? oh right.

i played it with the voice acting on and it was actually good! i couldn't believe it. homeboy didn't even phone it in this time like the first remake.

i love MI2

epmode

El Pescado said:
Which is better, the PS3 version or the 360 version? I'm assuming the PC version, but I'd like to play this on my big comfy couch with my wife watching instead of secluded in the back of the house on an old piano bench. :lol
dw821l.jpg

(I'd give advice if I had it. All I know is that the Xbox version screws with the music a bunch so that one is right out. PS3 version might have the same problem)

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Coop said:

Yeah, on the PC version you can skip individual dialogue in either mode with "."

epmode said:

Yeah I'm a big fan of the updated art in this one so far. Adding in the interstitial frames of animation for movement makes it much more palatable.

Omikaru

Just completed this. Having played this game time and time again when I was a kid, all the solutions to the puzzles came back to me in a flash.

Still, it was wonderful to enjoy this in HD. I hope they do The Curse of Monkey Island: Special Edition now. Maybe that's a bit too much work, though...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I started this up briefly before going to work and noticed the difficulty selection was gone?

Did they stick with the easy or hard puzzles?

Omikaru said:
Still, it was wonderful to enjoy this in HD. I hope they do The Curse of Monkey Island: Special Edition now. Maybe that's a bit too much work, though...

that one just needs a resolution bump, it's still the best looking game EVER

it looks pretty good smoothed out using SCUMMvm

Van Owen

Banned
Was the first game letterboxed for 16:10 displays on PC?

Nice that this has controller support too, although it doesn't give controller commands in the options menu.

Omikaru

milkyjay20 said:
that one just needs a resolution bump, it's still the best looking game EVER

it looks pretty good smoothed out using SCUMMvm
Yeah, but a "resolution bump" might require more work than just turning a few knobs. It depends on what assets they have from the game's original development. If they have lots of high resolution assets, then they should just put them into the game, but things are never that easy.

My main gripe with COMI in its current state is that the resolution on the cutscenes is horrid. The gameplay is tolerable, but the compression on the low res cutscenes is vile. Get those in HD, and I'd be delighted!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I love monkey island to death (replayed all 3
lol
just a few weeks ago) and I want to get this...but something about these remakes just really turn me off for some reason. All the little things they changed and removed (like iMuse and the intro) that were such huge parts of the experience and the art style that feels like a perversion of the original (however decent it may be) give me an almost uncanny valley-like reaction whenever I see it. It's just off-putting enough that it doesn't feel like monkey island anymore, just an imitation. I'll just stick to playing my MI madness cd in SCUMMVM. :(

Maybe though I'm just a huge nostalgia whore and can't see that absolutely everything is better in HD™

Omikaru said:
Yeah, but a "resolution bump" might require more work than just turning a few knobs. It depends on what assets they have from the game's original development. If they have lots of high resolution assets, then they should just put them into the game, but things are never that easy.

I'm pretty sure that all of the assets in curse were drawn at 640x480, so everything would have to be redone.

milkyjay20 said:
i can't believe people are bitching about the lack of intro. i noticed it, said hmph whatever, and i happen to love the intro. what did that guy say about gaf being a bunch of whiny fucking babies? oh right.

i played it with the voice acting on and it was actually good! i couldn't believe it. homeboy didn't even phone it in this time like the first remake.

i love MI2
Oh noes, people's opinion differ from mine !

If I wasn't on a phone, I'd make a Lechuck dealwithit.jpg

Omikaru

luka said:
I'm pretty sure that all of the assets in curse were drawn at 640x480, so everything would have to be redone.
Well that sucks. Understandable, but disappointing.

I doubt LucasArts would go to the lengths required to bring COMI into HD if that's the case.

Variable

I hope Lucas Arts decides to remake other classic games, like Loom or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, or even Full Throttle!

Anyone else disappointed by the commentary? It's seems that out of the three hours they recorded, maybe 1/4 of it is actually in the game. I mean NO endgame discussion at all? Really? There are also tons of areas with no commentary at all, and that just sucks.

I thought the music in the SE was pretty good overall, if a little off (Booty's music in particular), but I was happy to replay the game. I'd love to get the full audio of the commentary though, if only to be able to listen to it on its own.

Also, no into makes baby Jesus cry. Seriously, that was one of the best teaser -> credits -> game moments in gaming history and they tossed it aside. I'd love to know what they were thinking.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Variable said:
I hope Lucas Arts decides to remake other classic games, like Loom or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, or even Full Throttle!

The Dig and Day of the Tentacle.

Zak McKracken and Fate of Atlantis sir. Though honestly a remake of Maniac Mansion SE style could be amazing, though it would be a lot of work for sure. At least it would be impossible to mess up the music.

Top Bottom