• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dark10x said:
I'm good enough with a gamepad that it's not a problem.

I'm willing to deal with slightly less precision in the name of comfort. The fact is, using a mouse just isn't comfortable where I do most of my gaming. That's why the PC version is pretty great as I have a choice.
i was kidding! i'm a console plebe. you don't have to explain. posting from comfy couch hq

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
S1kkZ said:
whats wrong with guybrushs walk animation? it looks like it constantly skips some frames and looks very choppy. (360 version)
Now that is one complaint I have as well. It looks choppy fairly often, but it isn't a framerate drop. This happens in all versions of the game. :\

Peff

Finished :D The HD graphics are better than the first game but some places and sprites do look better than others. Voice acting is fantastic,
"I'm your brother!" was great
, Dominic is the perfect Guybrush. Achievements are really easy, and I've yet to play with the commentary on, but the unlockable concept art is nice. A shame about the opening and the missing
now you can go outside
line after the credits.

Is anybody else having problems with the avatar marketplace for Monkey Island 2? When I go to the page on my 360 all I get are a bunch of exclamation points and none of the avatar items load in for purchase or viewing.

dark10x said:
Now that is one complaint I have as well. It looks choppy fairly often, but it isn't a framerate drop. This happens in all versions of the game. :\
i think it stems from the special edition running on top of the old version. they do some in between animation stuff and occasionally it looks weird.

that's how it was in the first anyway. will play the second tonight on steam.

bathala

Banned
Stormwatch said:
Is anybody else having problems with the avatar marketplace for Monkey Island 2? When I go to the page on my 360 all I get are a bunch of exclamation points and none of the avatar items load in for purchase or viewing.
U can exit out and reload or go to the website

Flib

Just tried the lite version for the iphone, and good lord does it look low res on the iphone4 display. If they update it, I may buy.

Also, that 1up review was spot on about the music in classic mode, it sounds seriously weird. The HD music is pretty good though and it handles transitions well enough in Woodchuck, and since I've played the original about 300 times, that tends to be more important.

I will say though, I detest Largo LaGrande's voice acting.

bathala said:
U can exit out and reload or go to the website
Thanks, I got it to work. Say hello to DredPirateStorm!

Flib said:
Just tried the lite version for the iphone, and good lord does it look low res on the iphone4 display. If they update it, I may buy.

Also, that 1up review was spot on about the music in classic mode, it sounds seriously weird. The HD music is pretty good though and it handles transitions well enough in Woodchuck, and since I've played the original about 300 times, that tends to be more important.

I will say though, I detest Largo LaGrande's voice acting.
The iPhone version looked pretty blurry on my 3G screen too.

Lime

Why hasn't Valve made the game playable on Steam yet? It's 17:30 right now and the game still hasn't been released from pre-load. Just press the green button, you monkeys!

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Had a few crashes on the iPad version so far, but only when looking at the unlockable concept art!

Commentary is really badly implemented, but its great content so I'll put up with the clumsy interface

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
The amount I'd have paid if the Special Edition had kept iMuse & given us something equal to this...

What could have been.

Oh well, I'll still enjoy it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Kyouji said:
The amount I'd have paid if the Special Edition had kept iMuse & given us something equal to this...

What could have been.

CURSE style art would've been so nice. and sure I know it's expensive and a lot of work. but it's a SPECIAL edition. shit should be special.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Eaten By A Grue said:
Arg the intro has been removed, wtf. *crosses fingers this is a console only problem and not the PC version*
I can confirm that Iphone version also doesn't have the intro. Other than that it looks outstanding and the interface is better than in the first game. it supports the direct control now as well, which is even a default control option.

Kyouji said:

What could have been.

You'll enjoy it. Sampled music they have in the remastered version is absolutely great, has added atmospheric sound effects, and sounds better than any MIDI could. The classic version has music that very closely resembles the Roland sequenced sound of the original, it's just that the transitions between the song pieces are not quite as good.

Sectus

I just tried the original game on scummvm, and the difference in imuse is pretty huge. The original has extremely good transitions as you move between areas in Woodtick. The new version seems to use rather straightforward crossfades in classic and special edition. On the other hand, I tested how Curse implements the dynamic music system in the barber shop which has a similar music theme as Woodtick, and it's actually even worse there. There's no transition at all, it just snaps from tune to tune with zero transition.

So in the defense of Monkey 2 remake, it seem that not even LucasArts could create a good imuse system to work with wave music back when they were top of their game.

Although, the one inexcusable thing with the music in the Monkey 2 remake is the lack of MT-32 music. The difference between adlib or general midi, and the MT-32 music is gigantic and it's a huge shame they didn't record the MT-32 music for the classic version. One thing I'm a little worried about is that the new arrangements might be based on the general midi version, and not the MT-32 version.

But well, in the grand scheme of things it's still a minor issue. I'm having a lot of fun with the remake and I love the new artwork they've made and the voice acting.

Having now rewatched the intro on Youtube (with that Roland music that's approximately ten thousand million times better than any music I personally have ever heard while playing this game before :lol ) I guess I'm all ready to play this version now. Shame about the few problems (they do strike me as unforced errors) but overall this package still strikes me as a ton of excellent value for $10, and I'm really, really looking forward to the commentary tracks.

Teppic

Sectus said:
I just tried the original game on scummvm, and the difference in imuse is pretty huge. The original has extremely good transitions as you move between areas in Woodtick. The new version seems to use rather straightforward crossfades in classic and special edition. On the other hand, I tested how Curse implements the dynamic music system in the barber shop which has a similar music theme as Woodtick, and it's actually even worse there. There's no transition at all, it just snaps from tune to tune with zero transition.
I've read somewhere that MI3 does have transition, but it doesn't work with ScummVM.

Lafazar

Kyouji said:

What could have been.

Do you know that ScummVM is capable of emulating MT-32?

However, it requires a MT-32 ROM and you need to own an MT-32 to legally dump and use the ROM. Also it requires lots of processing power to do fullspeed.

I guess if LucasArts had wanted to use MT-32 recordings they would have had to pay a license fee to Roland Corporation, since they would be redistributing their samples.

painey

hearing the directors commentary makes me so sad at the state of gaming today, no corporate pressure, a small team writing, programming, drawing, coming up with the puzzles themselves.. the good ol' days :(

Peff said:
Haha, "that" song is pretty cool :D Though I didn't think
one of the voices would be feminine once they turn into skeletons. Also, why don't they update SoMI with that sprite :(

I haven't seen this scene in the SE yet, but one of those skeletons are guybrush's parents, right - so it's pretty normal one of them would be feminine, no?

Sectus

Okie, after some quick comparisons, it seems the new arrangements are definitely based on the MT-32 music. The main theme in Woodtick is obvious since the midi version has the main instrument wrong, but it sounds right in the MT-32 music and the new arrangement. So that's positive at least. I still don't like the new music as much as the original soundtrack, but it's still fun to listen to.

Teppic said:
I've read somewhere that MI3 does have transition, but it doesn't work with ScummVM.
Really? I did a quick google search and see I no mention about that. Everything else seems to be perfectly emulated in the current version of ScummVM so that would be surprising.

Peff

harriet the spy said:
I haven't seen this scene in the SE yet, but one of those skeletons are guybrush's parents, right - so it's pretty normal one of them would be feminine, no?

Yes indeed, but since it's
a dream I had the idea that his parents just transformed into two random dancing skeletons that were a reference to some old cartoons. Makes more sense the way it is though.

Tek

now one can only hope that they release Curse....untouched. The game's graphics still look great today, just re release the game as is and I will be happy....

Jucksalbe

Banned
Played about an hour on the PS3 version. I really like the new controls, holding R2 and choosing from a context sensitive menu works much better than the short cuts on the digital pad in the first remake did. Switched to "Point & Click" mode after some testing though.

Tek said:
now one can only hope that they release Curse....untouched. The game's graphics still look great today, just re release the game as is and I will be happy....
Yep. It's always been my favorite.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
S1kkZ said:
whats wrong with guybrushs walk animation? it looks like it constantly skips some frames and looks very choppy. (360 version)
Nothing looks wrong with it in PS3 or Iphone version. Perfectly smooth really.

What's not so great is that the gamma setting in PS3 version is done wrong. This is visible in Voodoo Lady's shack, where the right side of the screen is supposed to be completely dark, but it's instead grayish purple on the TV. It's like the game is built to be played in the Full Range RGB mode even when the TV doesn't support it. Normally not a big deal except in that one scene so far, but I checked on the Iphone to make sure, and yes, the side of the screen is supposed to be completely dark.

charlequin said:
Having now rewatched the intro on Youtube (with that Roland music that's approximately ten thousand million times better than any music I personally have ever heard while playing this game before :lol ) I guess I'm all ready to play this version now.
Amiga version had very respectable music, tons better than the non-Roland PC equivalents.

Shame about the few problems (they do strike me as unforced errors) but overall this package still strikes me as a ton of excellent value for $10, and I'm really, really looking forward to the commentary tracks.
That's what it really is. Other than missing intro there's nothing really wrong with it. Imuse system is almost impossible with wavetable track based music, you get better sounding music but not as good transitions. OK, not impossible, there are modern games that do this kind of transition by recording each instrument track separately and mixing it in realtime, but that's too much to ask for a $10 game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tek said:
The original background artist is offering his services for it:

With the special edition of Monkey Island 2 only two weeks away (Woo!), some of us have already begun to ponder the possibility of LEC taking on The Curse of Monkey Island next. The question seems to be on the mind of the game's original lead background artist as well. Earlier today, Bill Tiller tweeted:

I put in a request to redo the art for a special edition of CMI to the producer in charge a few days ago. No reply yet. I'll keep you posted

Although any enhanced edition of the third Monkey Island game wouldn't require an entirely new re-imagining of the original backgrounds since they were pencil-drawn on paper, Bill's follow-up tweet suggests that converting it to high definition wouldn't be a snap either, as the actual painting was done in Photoshop at a resolution of 640x480 and would therefore have to be re-done. Clearly, if such a project was ever planned by LEC, they'd be fools not to take up Tiller on his offer. I wonder how busy Ahern and Eaken are?
Whether anything comes of it remains to be seen.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Tek said:

I'd love to see this. Especially if they were able to get some sort of Director's Commentary on it as well. I'd just love a digital download version of it.

Also, apparently I'm an idiot. All the dozens of time's I've played Monkey Island 2 I always assumed Captain Dread was a chick. But with the voice now, and the commentary, he's definitely a man.

Was I crazy?

Dread.JPG

epmode

Sectus said:
Although, the one inexcusable thing with the music in the Monkey 2 remake is the lack of MT-32 music. The difference between adlib or general midi, and the MT-32 music is gigantic and it's a huge shame they didn't record the MT-32 music for the classic version. One thing I'm a little worried about is that the new arrangements might be based on the general midi version, and not the MT-32 version.
Do you a link to a way to get this working in SCUMMVM?

I tried this once before but it just didn't sound right. Some of the instruments just sounded flat or a little off. Annoyed the hell out of me.

By the way, to the people mentioning how the original Imuse stuff sounds OK "except for the transitions", the transitions are the entire point of Imuse! They need to be perfect.

Aurarian

First thing I did when I got to work was open up Firefox and put it in my queue for tonight. Can't wait since I enjoyed Tales and the first game so much on Steam.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Btw, while on PS3 version there's music from the original intro playing during the XMB highlight and the game menu, Iphone version doesn't have any music during the menu, so it simply lacks this music altogether

I think it's pretty clear why they took out the intro credits. There's now two teams to credit, for which they have separate options in the menu. It would really suck to be a part of SE dev team only to have just names of original developers be shown in the intro. Or vice versa. If they opted for showing both, the credit sequence would be stupidly long, so they decided to just cut it out.

tadcalabash said:
I'd love to see this. Especially if they were able to get some sort of Director's Commentary on it as well. I'd just love a digital download version of it.

Also, apparently I'm an idiot. All the dozens of time's I've played Monkey Island 2 I always assumed Captain Dread was a chick. But with the voice now, and the commentary, he's definitely a man.

Was I crazy?
yes.

profit

Still not sure if I'll be getting the Iphone or steam version. I like the Iphone cause its porteable, but I think the steam version just plays more comfortable due to a bigger screen and mouse+keyboard (I heard the controls changed to only keyboard, true or false?). Anyone have experience with both?

Peff

profit said:
(I heard the controls changed to only keyboard, true or false?).

False. I think the iPhone version doesn't have a commentary track, and going by the impressions on this thread it looks a bit blurry. The steam version has everything and it looks crystal clear (it sounds pretty awesome too). If you value portability a lot it could still be better to get that one, though.

I'd like to have more info about the PC version too. I didn't liked the interface in the remake of the first. It was tedious to have to use the keyboard to access the inventory and the verbs. How does that new "radial interface works"? Can we play with the mouse only? Also is the 360 controller supported? I'm hesitating between the Steam and PSN version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Peff said:
False. I think the iPhone version doesn't have a commentary track, and going by the impressions on this thread it looks a bit blurry. The steam version has everything and it looks crystal clear (it sounds pretty awesome too). If you value portability a lot it could still be better to get that one, though.
Yeah, Iphone version doesn't have audio commentary, and it is a bit blurry even compared to fir MI:SE on Iphone :\ Compared to super sharp 1080p it's minor disappointment, which they could have avoided with just different scaling algorithm.

Also, a personal pet peeve - an icon is not as nice and colorful as the one for MI:SE

Flib said:
Does it look pixelated on Iphone 4? On 3GS it just looks soft.

Peff

RockmanWhore said:
I'd like to have more info about the PC version too. I didn't liked the interface in the remake of the first. It was tedious to have to use the keyboard to access the inventory and the verbs. How does that new "radial interface works"? Can we play with the mouse only? Also is the 360 controller supported? I'm hesitating between the Steam and PSN version.

PC version can be controlled with just the mouse. Left clicking moves Guybrush and selects items when in the inventory. Right clicking opens the action menu, which is streamlined to have mostly the useful actions in a half-circle around the cursor (similar to Mass Effect). Center-clicking opens the inventory. I'm not sure if it's compatible with the 360 controller, but I can check it out. Gimme a minute.

Top Bottom