• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition |OT|

Plasma

Banned
tadcalabash said:
I'd love to see this. Especially if they were able to get some sort of Director's Commentary on it as well. I'd just love a digital download version of it.

Also, apparently I'm an idiot. All the dozens of time's I've played Monkey Island 2 I always assumed Captain Dread was a chick. But with the voice now, and the commentary, he's definitely a man.

Was I crazy?

You're not the only one I thought Dread was a chick as well.

Peff said:
PC version can be controlled with just the mouse. Left clicking moves Guybrush and selects items when in the inventory. Right clicking opens the action menu, which is streamlined to have mostly the useful actions in a half-circle around the cursor (similar to Mass Effect). Center-clicking opens the inventory. I'm not sure if it's compatible with the 360 controller, but I can check it out. Gimme a minute.

Sounds good enough to me, I think I'll get the steam version then :p

Sectus

Okay, PC version is DEFINITELY the way to go. All those complaints about imuse being not in the game? ... it's in the PC version!

Edit: It's also worth noting the PC version doesn't have black borders around the entire screen either which the 360 and PS3 versions does have. There are tiny black borders on the top and bottom of the screen, I'm not sure why they're there, but they're muuuuuuuch smaller than the borders in the console versions anyway.

The PC version does take 800mb more space. I'm guessing that's due to the extra music the imuse system requires.

Peff

RockmanWhore said:
Sounds good enough to me, I think I'll get the steam version then :p

360 controller is supported, but I couldn't find a way to make it play point and click instead of direct control (you have to control Guybrush with the left stick and point with the right instead of just pointing with the left and moving with A, not a big difference). Everything else was the same as in the 360 version.

EDIT: ^Also, no borders, glorious full 1080p :D !

EDIT2: What he said.

V_Ben

Banned
Sectus said:
Okay, PC version is DEFINITELY the way to go. All those complaints about imuse being not in the game? ... it's in the PC version!

Edit: It's also worth noting the PC version doesn't have black borders around the entire screen either which the 360 and PS3 versions does have. There are tiny black borders on the top and bottom of the screen, I'm not sure why they're there, but they're muuuuuuuch smaller than the borders in the console versions anyway.

The PC version does take 800mb more space. I'm guessing that's due to the extra music the imuse system requires.

I'm waiting for them to release the mac version :D

vocab

Sectus said:

You sure about that? I fired it up, and the music sounds softer, and I definitely don't notice the smooth transitions.

profit

Just checked the app store and noticed there is a lite version for the game (was not on there this morning). Downloading as we speak and I'll post impressions.

Tek

if they redo curse in the same HD "look" as MI 1 or 2, I will NERD RAGE!!!

or I just play in classic mode the entire time.....

Thank you guys for the quick responses :) The more it goes, the more I'm worried about point & click interface, they try to make it work on controllers and the mouse support often seems like an after thought these days :(

epmode

Sectus said:

I'll be able to confirm proper Imuse support as soon as I get back home. ..it's sounding like it's not done properly though.

BTW, an Imuse setup wouldn't add all that much to the total filesize. If it's anything like the release of the first Special Edition, the bigger installation is due to uncompressed (or better-compressed) audio and video.

It's sounding more and more like the transition feature from old-school to remake just causes us to get the worst of both worlds. Crappy Imuse emulation and a cut credits sequence in the old version, choppy animation in the new one.

Sectus

I think I've discovered the reason why the PC version has tiny black borders. I took a screenshot of the original version, removed the interface and resized the horizontal resolution to 1920, and I ended up with 1920x1032, which is barely lower than 1080p. So that has to be the reason, they're keeping the aspect ratio of the original graphics.

vocab said:
You sure about that? I fired it up, and the music sounds softer, and I definitely don't notice the smooth transitions.
Walk in and out of the boats in Woodtick and you should notice it. It's definitely there. In the 360 version it simply crossfades instead of doing a unique transition.

I just tried the game for an hour and I think the voice work is great!. Got an obsession with switching back and forth classic mode. I noticed that the intro in the beginning, guybrush appears for a second if you kept classic mode on when switching areas (must be a bug). I find some of the character redesigns questionable (like with the first game) as they are very different at times than the shape of some faces originally. The bartender guy seems to be very faithful but the guys at the bonfire have some very different faces. Otherwise this is rather solid. The remade music is decent.

Sectus said:
I think I've discovered the reason why the PC version has tiny black borders. I took a screenshot of the original version, removed the interface and resized the horizontal resolution to 1920, and I ended up with 1920x1032, which is barely lower than 1080p. So that has to be the reason, they're keeping the aspect ratio of the original graphics.

I am a total noob with these things, but wasn't the original 320x200 - so that would mean proper aspect ratior would be 1920x1200?

epmode

Sectus said:
Walk in and out of the boats in Woodtick and you should notice it. It's definitely there. In the 360 version it simply crossfades instead of doing a unique transition.
Oh man, I hope you're right. That's exactly the place I was going to test. Wally's map room has some awesome transition stuff going on.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can't wait to play this, I probably gotta wait for my funds to replenished this friday though.
I'll probably get it on PS3 or 360 since I do all my gaming on my consoles, but my lap top might be able to run this. I'll try one of those "can you run it" sites, maybe it'll be the better option for me.

Sectus

harriet the spy said:
I am a total noob with these things, but wasn't the original 320x200 - so that would mean proper aspect ratior would be 1920x1200?
The original game is 320x200, yes, but that was played in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Many old PC games are like that, and if you were to play them on Dosbox without keeping the aspect ratio, it'll look stretched.

RockmanWhore said:
Thank you guys for the quick responses :) The more it goes, the more I'm worried about point & click interface, they try to make it work on controllers and the mouse support often seems like an after thought these days :(
Compared to other MI games, the mouse interface they have in this remake is basically identical to Curse of Monkey Island. It's fully mouse driven too, unlike the MI1 remake, so that's definitely nice.

FrankT

Are there anymore reviews out there besides 1up. As it is it doesn't leave me much confidence at this point.

Darklord

Banned
Tek said:
if they redo curse in the same HD "look" as MI 1 or 2, I will NERD RAGE!!!

or I just play in classic mode the entire time.....

Same art style as before but in full HD. They really can't do anything else in my opinion.

Sectus

Jtyettis said:
Are there anymore reviews out there besides 1up. As it is it doesn't leave me much confidence at this point.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/110/1104107p1.html

I'd recommend ignoring the 1up review anyway. It's a bit moronic how they say the remake is actually great... but then end up complaining about optional stuff in rest of the review and give it a low score because of that. They also complain a lot about imuse missing, although that's working as it should in the PC version.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jtyettis said:

If you played the first Monkey Island remake, you should have the general idea of what to expect with the sequel. I personally thought it was great, using the interface was a bit of a struggle with the 360 controller but I still enjoyed myself regardless, so I don't really need any reviews for this one.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sectus said:
You can overscan the black borders into disappearance this time in console versions. How big is the PC version then? 2GB? It's 1.2GB on PS3.

So is the Imuse system only active in the classic mode music or in remake mode as well?

Lafazar

epmode said:
Do you a link to a way to get this working in SCUMMVM?

I tried this once before but it just didn't sound right. Some of the instruments just sounded flat or a little off. Annoyed the hell out of me.

You need a ROM of the Roland MT-32 or else MT-32 emulation will not work in ScummVM! Note that you need to own a physical MT-32 to legally rip the ROM, although there are some reasons to believe that the copyright has expired:
http://forum.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=45954#45954
http://www.artworxinn.com/alex/history.htm

Instructions: You have set the folder the ROM is in as the "Extra Path" in the "Paths" settings for the game.

Darklord

Banned
Lord Error said:
You can overscan the black borders into disappearance this time in console versions. How big is the PC version then? 2GB? It's 1.2GB on PS3.

So is the Imuse system only active in the classic mode music or in remake mode as well?

It's 4gb. Why is it so big? :S

Edit: Wait, for some reason when I bought it it gave me another copy of the first game and started downloading both. I didn't even pre-order. So I guess it's around 2gb then.

epmode

Lafazar said:
You need a ROM of the Roland MT-32 or else MT-32 emulation will not work in ScummVM! Note that you need to own a physical MT-32 to legally rip the ROM, although there are some reasons to believe that the copyright has expired
Thanks for that.

Have you been able to compare this to actual hardware? I haven't heard it on an actual MT-32 in AGES.

I tried the MT-32 emulation with Monkey Island 2 a little over a year ago but it seemed that the instruments were a little busted. Flat? Caused me to go right back to Sound Blaster/Adlib audio.

I remember reading that MT-32 emulation wasn't that great but I'm hoping it has improved since then.

Lafazar

epmode said:
Thanks for that.

Have you been able to compare this to actual hardware? I haven't heard it on an actual MT-32 in AGES.

I tried the M-32 emulation with MI2 1-2 years ago but it seemed that the instruments were a little busted. Flat? Caused me to go right back to Sound Blaster/Adlib audio.

I remember reading that MT-32 emulation wasn't that great but I'm hoping it has improved since then.

The emulation has improved quite a bit (also thanks to more available processing power in modern processors) and is very good by now, however, it still can't quite compete with the real hardware (mostly minor stuff though).

Unfortunately I do not have a computer anymore that I can use my card with, so emulation is the next best thing for me.

Sectus

Lord Error said:

It's 1.8gb on PC. I'm pretty sure it's 1gb on 360. That means PS3 is slightly larger than 360 version? I wonder why.

Edit: Whoops, missed your second question. Yes, imuse works both in classic and normal mode.

epmode said:
Thanks for that.

I tried the MT-32 emulation with Monkey Island 2 a little over a year ago but it seemed that the instruments were a little busted. Flat? Caused me to go right back to Sound Blaster/Adlib audio.

I tested Monkey 2 in scummvm earlier today and unfortunately the MT32 emulation is still way off. If you want to hear the proper original music, you'll need to download a rip, or get a real Roland sound card.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SolidusDave said:
How? I tried the PS3 demo and couldn't find an option for it.
I meant through your TV settings. If your TV is correctly set, it will display 1:1 1080p resolution, but every TV has an overscan mode (which is really always enabled by default when you buy a TV) so you just have to go an enable that.

I'm somewhat more miffed about the incorrect gamma problem.

Sectus said:
It's 1.8gb on PC. I'm pretty sure it's 1gb on 360. That means PS3 is slightly larger than 360 version? I wonder why.

Edit: Whoops, missed your second question. Yes, imuse works both in classic and normal mode.
Yeah, it's 1.2GB. So just to make sure, you've played the console versions to compare with PC? Console versions also have crossfading with some drum samples thrown in to mask the transitions, but it's not like 'proper' imuse.

Is there a non-steam PC demo available?

vocab

Sectus said:

Ya, well you'll notice this out of place drums that signal the transition from time to time. :(

Can someone please help me understand this PC vs 360 thing with imuse? I really want to play this on my big TV and comfy couch but I don't really understand what is in place of the imuse on the 360 version...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
McBacon said:
Another iPad wallpaper, this time using the new graphics and works perfectly in landscape and portrait!

5l3q8n.jpg

Download
Can you tell me where did you get the high res screen of it, and are there any 1080p screenshots available?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Lord Error said:
Can you tell me where did you get the high res screen of it, and are there any 1080p screenshots available?
If you want 1080p images, you really need to introduce yourself to Google Image Search's 'larger than' menu. That's where I found that pic.

wouwie

I'm pleasantly surprised by this remake. It feels great to be playing Monkey Island again (i played all 4 original ones when they came out).

I bought the first remake not long ago and was really dissapointed. The "updated" graphics looked worse than the original and the interface was clunky at best (playing on PS3).

However, with this one i feel the exact opposite. The new graphics actually look nice and the interface is a lot better. The only thing that doesn't work that well with the ps3 gamepad is moving the arrow around the screen to find hotspots.

For the first time, i feel positive about those adventure classic remakes. If they can keep improving on interface and graphics, i'd love to see remakes of other Lucasarts games.

In any case, looking forward to continu playing.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm sure this has been answered, but when you switch to classic mode does it use the old sound? My only real interest in this game is iMuse and the commentary.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
bistromathics said:
I'm sure this has been answered, but when you switch to classic mode does it use the old sound? My only real interest in this game is iMuse and the commentary.

Yeah, anyone knows if the commentary works while playing on classic version ?

profit

First quick impression on the Iphone version (lite). The backgrounds are "okay" but the character models are quite blurry, not really nice to look at in my honest opinion. Sound quality is great though and so is the control using your finger to "click" and interact with the world.

Radogol

Kandrick said:

Yes.

bistromathics said:
I'm sure this has been answered, but when you switch to classic mode does it use the old sound?

Yes. Voice over can be toggled on/off in the classic mode.

Darklord

Banned
I really hate the new look. It's not the art style but the animation. Fuck it's bad. Everything moves like a cardboard cutout and just...it's too noticeable. I also liker the music in the classic version way better so I'll be stick to that.

Kandrick said:

It does.

eLGee

Just finished the PS3 version. Also have the iPod Touch version and the PC version.

I have absolutely no complaints on either version, it's just fantastic all the way around. I never thought that the iPod version would look as great as the others, considering that SOMI:SE looked even worse on the iPod than the PC/console versions. They even made the controls bearable this time around.

Shame about missing the intro and the outro, but I still have my original CD version. If I feel like playing the original, I'll use that. The artwork in the HD-SE is nothing short of gorgeous. If only they had made as much of an effort in SOME:SE... oh well.

Also, Dom's delivery on the Star Wars-line at the end was fucking PERFECT. Nail on the head. Boen's delivery was great as well.

My score? 9/10

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Ok thanks :D

I think the new graphics are way better than the first remake, but some things still look off, especially some characters.

Darklord

Banned
Just wondering, would it be possible to get the classic music playing with the new look? Or is it simply impossible?

Oh man, I didn't notice it turned into a MST3k style when you select the commentary. That's really cool.:lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
wouwie said:
However, with this one i feel the exact opposite. The new graphics actually look nice and the interface is a lot better. The only thing that doesn't work that well with the ps3 gamepad is moving the arrow around the screen to find hotspots.
Press L1 to highlight the hotspots.

McBacon said:
If you want 1080p images, you really need to introduce yourself to Google Image Search's 'larger than' menu. That's where I found that pic.
Already been doing that, but all I found were 720p screens with black border around :\

Top Bottom