• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most expensive game...EVAR!

The most expensive (non-typo) console game has to be Steel Battalion. So you were close at least by mentioning the right publisher :D

P90

ManDudeChild said:
The most expensive (non-typo) console game has to be Steel Battalion. So you were close at least by mentioning the right publisher :D

Click "Buy" and the game rings up as $999.95.

Steel Battalion was a dinger, price-wise, as well.

jarrod

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
Retail AES carts go for more than Steel Batallion did.

BuddyC

When Capcom's online store stops stocking a game, they remove links to the respective pages but leave them up on the server, so you can still get into them with a bit of effort. They jack up the prices in the database to prevent someone from accidentially ordering a game they don't carry or make anymore.

Priz

I wouldn't say EVER, because I seem to remember the Megaman anniversary collection (or some other megaman game) being on Capcom's online store for $99,999.95 or so.

Priz

wow, someone just pointed this out to me.

Go to Capcom's online store and pick any game, add it to your cart. Look at the Shipping/Handling charge... bring up the drop down menu, change your order to ship to Canada, then click "Update Prices".

Are they adding $$$ as an effort to discourage orders from Canada?

Ecrofirt

Priz said:

Go to Capcom's online store and pick any game, add it to your cart. Look at the Shipping/Handling charge... bring up the drop down menu, change your order to ship to Canada, then click "Update Prices"

If you put the item in the first slot of your item box and do it again, you can get infinite grenade rounds.

Speevy said:
The most expensive non-limted edition/peripheral-based game has to be OoT.

I paid 79.99 for Wayne Gretzgy's 3D Hockey and Star Wars at the US launch, but by the time OOT was released prices had gone way down and I bought a gold edition OOT for 59.99 at release. You got screwed if OOT meant Ocaria of Time.

And Square RPGs for the SNES were expensive (Chrono Trigger being the highest), but at least they were under 100 dollars (Unlike Japan).

But Neo-Geo, as stated, are kings. I remember my Babbages always having them sitting on the shelf for like 300 a pop.

Soul4ger

Yeah, most GOOD SNES games were $75. I sometimes sit and think about that, actually - I really wonder if this would still be my hobby if I had to pay almost $80 for every game. And I do remember, my mom bought me the Star Wars game for N64 in '96, and paid $89.99 for it in EB, not because it was the MSRP, either. I'm happy they got that "shortage" thing cleared up eventually. Damn, the Phantasy Star games for $90 to $100 were RIDICULOUS. I don't know how I managed to talk my parents into getting me those.

Soul4ger

distantmantra said:
Who screwed up the price on that one? Is this an inside joke between the employees?

Not really an inside joke. Corporate office screwed up somehow and changed the price to $9,999.98. So, when we were printing out tags for price changes, of course we noticed the enormous discrepancy. We didn't put the game out on the floor, because we knew, or thought at least, that it couldn't be right, so we kept it in the back until the price went down. Took a few days. Not sure exactly what happened, but I always just assumed it was a computer glitch.

A Euro copy of Kizuna Encounter for Neo-Geo AES sells for more than $10000 when it does appear. Only four known, confirmed copies out of a possible 15 ever sold.

Nikashi

Banned
Priz said:

Go to Capcom's online store and pick any game, add it to your cart. Look at the Shipping/Handling charge... bring up the drop down menu, change your order to ship to Canada, then click "Update Prices".

Are they adding $$$ as an effort to discourage orders from Canada?

Yes, that is EXACTLY why. I called Capcom about this before, and that shipping charge IS correct. $120 for anything to Canada, and you still have to pay for customs and taxes. Capcom just doesn't wanna ship to Canada, and that's their way of saying 'Fuck You' to Canada.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wasn't there a game called Circus Lido on PC Engine that sold for over 40,000y? But then, they found like a whole warehouse full of unsold copies and the game quickly diminished in value. And the game is supposed to suck too :p

Top Bottom