• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most powerful journalist In Hollywood protected Harvey Weinstein for years

Deplorable.

Some select quotes:
In the mid-1990s, a young reporter at the entertainment trade magazine Variety pitched a story at the weekly meeting that would’ve made Harvey Weinstein look bad.

The pitch centered around the dangers of smaller movie companies moving into the production realm, and the reporter wanted to use Weinstein’s company, Miramax, as the prime example, since a number of its early forays into production had been less than successful.

But Peter Bart, the magazine’s powerful editor-in-chief, wasn’t impressed.

“Peter Bart shut that story down instantly, raised his voice and basically made sure that not only was that story not happening, but that I would never suggest anything similar again,” said the reporter ― who, like others interviewed by HuffPost for this story, didn’t want to be named because he still works “in the industry.”

Bart, who at his height was one of the most powerful chroniclers of the film industry, was an eager and useful co-conspirator. Interviews with former reporters and editors at Variety describe him as one of Weinstein’s greatest protectors ― exactly the sort of enabler who helped to keep Weinstein’s “open secret” a secret for so long.
One former Variety staffer said Bart’s focus was on sales. “Ultimately, that’s what he cared about,” the staffer said. “He loved to buddy up to people. In particular with Harvey. It was about not upsetting one of his major advertisers.”[

Further reading:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...132e4b0ca9f483b3007?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

And somehow right wing media will find a way to blame the left without a hint of irony.

IMO I think this goes beyond Right V Left.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that there are Harvey Weinsteins across many sectors and it is less to do with politics and more to do with abuse of power.

I wonder what Soderbergh's thoughts are on this in light of recent events.
In 1989, Weinstein’s Miramax brought the film “Sex, Lies, and Videotape” to the Cannes Film Festival, where it won the Palme d’Or, the festival’s top honor. The moment helped Weinstein and his brother, Bob, burst onto the national scene ― two brash independent studio heads with a willingness to put out films other people weren’t, often to widespread acclaim.​
Of course that's how Shakespeare In Love could win Oscars.

In 1997, Michael Evans, the New York advertising sales director for the magazine, told The New York Times that Miramax had purchased about 40 percent of all Oscar ads in Variety’s weekly edition. “That was a huge source of income for Variety, and Variety of course needed the money,” said one employee. Two years later, while pushing the films “Life Is Beautiful” and “Shakespeare In Love” ― the latter of which eventually won the Oscar for best picture ― Miramax’s aggressive marketing changed the way Oscar campaigns were run.​
Simon & Schuster is the same publisher who were going to publish Milo's book, until that deal fell through after the pro-pedophilia scandal.
Bart also suggested that he hadn’t written for Miramax during his time at Variety. (He had.)

“As for books, my books were published by Simon & Schuster, Putnam, St Martins, Linden Press, etc long before Miramax asked to publish Infamous Players, by which time I was no longer editor in chief,” Bart wrote.​

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Simon & Schuster is the same publisher who were going to publish Milo's book, until that deal fell through after the pro-pedophilia scandal.
Bart also suggested that he hadn’t written for Miramax during his time at Variety. (He had.)

“As for books, my books were published by Simon & Schuster, Putnam, St Martins, Linden Press, etc long before Miramax asked to publish Infamous Players, by which time I was no longer editor in chief,” Bart wrote.​
He's lying on multiple fronts here. Miramax didn't start publishing until 2000, so of course they didn't publish his prior books. He used other publishers for books in 2000 and 2002 (with a co-writer). But then in 2003 and 2006 he had books published by Miramax while he was Variety's EIC, and upon 'retiring' brought another book over to The Weinstein Company's new publishing arm in 2012.

I'm not defending Bart, but this story doesn't seem to indicate he kept an article about Weinstein's sexual harassment out of Variety...just one story about Miramax in general that he shot down?

I mean, over someone's career he could have shot down hundreds of stories about different production companies/studios, why is this any different? Just because it's Weinstein?

If the pitched story was about sexual harassment, I'd understand, but it wasn't...

Ombra

Get a grip.
You should take your own advice all fox news has been doing is try to turn this into the left allowing this "because hollywood" and their audience is eating it up and missing the forest for the trees. There's someone like this journalist in every office but that won't be the conversation that "real americans" who watch fox news will be having. Nevermind the people fired from that network for similar reasons. As long as Fox news exists a sincere dialogue about anything is not going to happen on the scale that it needs to.

Tookay

You should take your own advice all fox news has been doing is try to turn this into the left allowing this "because hollywood" and their audience is eating it up and missing the forest for the trees. There's someone like this journalist in every office but that won't be the conversation that "real americans" who watch fox news will be having. Nevermind the people fired from that network for similar reasons. As long as Fox news exists a sincere dialogue about anything is not going to happen on the scale that it needs to.

You just preemptively politicized this whole thread out of fear that one side (that barely even exists on gaf) will politicize it instead of actually engaging in the article or a "sincere conversation." Congratulations.

Ombra

You just preemptively politicized this whole thread .out of fear that one side (that barely even exists on gaf) will politicize it instead of actually engaging in the article or a "sincere conversation." Congratulations.
You think very little of this forums ability to discuss on multiple facets. My post was my personal takeaway of what the response to the article would be, especially with the key word being "journalist".

Top Bottom