• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mountain Goats: Beat the Champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
10_700_700_516_tmg_900px.jpg

The Mountain Goats crashed Merge Records website today with the news that their next studio album, Beat the Champ, will be released on April 7 (US. April 13 in Europe)!

It's another Mountain Goats concept album, collecting songs about professional wrestling, a childhood passion of John Darnielle.

"The songs in Beat the Champ are about the simple and beautiful stories of professional wrestling as seen by fans who need something simple in their messy lives." - Joseph Fink

Here's a preview: The Legend of Chavo Guerrero

Tour Dates:

The Mountain Goats on tour:
Apr 02 Nashville, TN – Mercy Lounge
Apr 03 Asheville, NC – Grey Eagle
Apr 04 Savannah, GA – The Jinx
Apr 07 Carrboro, NC – Cat’s Cradle
Apr 08 Washington, DC – 9:30 Club
Apr 09 New York, NY – Webster Hall
Apr 11 New York, NY – City Winery
Apr 12 New York, NY – City Winery
Apr 13 Philadelphia, PA – Union Transfer
Apr 14 Boston, MA – House of Blues
Apr 16 Cincinnati, OH – Bogart’s
Apr 17 Detroit, MI – Majestic Theatre
Apr 18 Chicago, IL – Vic Theatre
Apr 19 Minneapolis, MN – Cedar Cultural Center
Apr 21 Louisville, KY – Headliners
Apr 22 Columbus, OH – Wexner Center
Apr 23 Millvale, PA – Mr. Smalls Theatre
May 8-10 Atlanta, GA – Shaky Knees Music Festival
May 26 Denver, CO – Gothic Theatre
May 27 Salt Lake City, UT – Urban Lounge
May 29 Seattle, WA – The Showbox
May 30 Portland, OR – Wonder Ballroom
Jun 01 San Francisco, CA – The Fillmore
Jun 03 Los Angeles, CA – Mayan Theater

I've seen The Mountain Goats three times now, two JD solo shows and once with the full band. It is always an amazing time. They're great live, and JD's banter is always hilarious and wonderfully introspective. This news made my decade.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Gonna go see them at the Jinx!

It's their first time in Savannah. So happy to finally get to see them :D

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I only found this thread from searching to see if there was an OT for the new album, and now I'm sad there wasn't more excitement :(

Well, guys, I'm fucking hyped. New MG material is cause for very real excitement in the Horseticuffs world!

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Aw, no show in VA this time. They kicked off their Transcendental Youth tour in Richmond, I was hoping they'd be back. I bought the first shirt sold on that tour.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I hope you enjoy this album when it drops dude.

My memory has gone to complete hell lately so the fact that I can remember some lyrics from this band speaks to their brilliance. Who can forget "the most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway is that it's you and that you are standing in the doorway"

Unrelated but I am currently listening to Barbie Girl by Aqua and if any song here is 1/3 as good as that this then the album will be something special.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I've been really into Never Quite Free after John explained that it was originally a poem about a werewolf. Totally worth the price of the ticket just to learn that. He went on a fairly Ling tangent about his werewolf poetry.

Darnielle has been on a hot streak with All Eternals Deck and Transcendental Youth. I hope this one keeps it going.

There's a hell of a lot for him to mine out of the concept, so I'm optimistic.

I still need to get out to see him live some day.

hupla

Wish i could see John live this tour but its really not in the cards money wise for me right now to go out to chicago or new york from toronto :( hopefully i get another chance...

Really hype for beat the champ tho!!!

Never heard this band before. I didn't get a very good feel from that song as it felt more like rythmic poetry with an accompaniment. But I listened to a few other songs and it seems right up my alley.

lately I've been revisiting some of my old favourites like Cake, Dispatch, The Mars Volta etc. Seems like these guys will fit right in.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Had no clue this record was coming out, but I just snatched up the double lp. Good looks, OP/Horsticuffs for bumping!

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Never heard this band before. I didn't get a very good feel from that song as it felt more like rythmic poetry with an accompaniment. But I listened to a few other songs and it seems right up my alley.

lately I've been revisiting some of my old favourites like Cake, Dispatch, The Mars Volta etc. Seems like these guys will fit right in.
The best thing about getting into the Mountain Goats now is that you have a TON of songs to check out. So many great albums. Make sure to check out their EPs, especially Satanic Messiah and Songs for Peter Hughes. Also, don't miss out on Black Pear Tree, an EP they made with Kaki King. Thank You Mario but our Princess is in Another Castle is the best video game song ever made.

besada

Banned
Holy shit, an OT for a Mountain Goats album. You are all my favorites. I've really enjoyed the first two tracks I've heard, and am looking forward to the rest of the album.

And since we're in a thread full of people who love John Darnielle, make sure you read his book, Wolf in White Van. It's a must for Mountain Goats fans.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Got my ticket for the April 4 show a few days before they sold out. Can not freaking wait. Plan is to get him to sign my copy of Wolf In White Van :)

Horseticuffs

Holy shit, an OT for a Mountain Goats album. You are all my favorites. I've really enjoyed the first two tracks I've heard, and am looking forward to the rest of the album.

And since we're in a thread full of people who love John Darnielle, make sure you read his book, Wolf in White Van. It's a must for Mountain Goats fans.
Goat people are best people!

Hey, I've heard and loved Chavo but what other track is out there?

Y'all blowing my mind with the JD love!

In regards to his book, is there any word on an audio version? Perhaps with him reading? I'd flip my shit.

Edit: Never mind! Just found Heel Turn 2 on Spotify :-D :-D :-D

This album is going to fucking ROOOOOOOCK!

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Got my ticket for the April 4 show a few days before they sold out. Can not freaking wait. Plan is to get him to sign my copy of Wolf In White Van :)
He was really cool about meeting fans after his show here in Richmond. He told people to meet him in the lobby once they finished the encore.

They did No Children for the encore, and he got down on his knees near the end of the song. He got in real close to a guy standing one person over from me. He knocked his hat off and grabbed the guy by the back of his head, screaming "I AM DROWNING. THERE IS NO SIGN OF LAND. YOU ARE COMING DOWN WITH ME." Then he threw his hands out to touch any audience members he could reach while singing "Hand in unlovable hand." I was leaning against the stage in front of his keyboard, so I got to grab his hand. It was amazing.

Get there early and get up front. It's worth it.

besada

Banned
In regards to his book, is there any word on an audio version? Perhaps with him reading? I'd flip my shit.

Edit: Never mind! Just found Heel Turn 2 on Spotify :-D :-D :-D
If you set Spotify to follow The Mountain Goats, they'll send you a notification when each new track pops up. I love seeing a notification for new stuff for one of my favorite bands.

And yes, the audio version is read by John. You can hear the first chunk of it here:
https://soundcloud.com/macaudio-2/wolf-in-white-van-by-john-darnielle-audiobook-excerpt

Horseticuffs

If you set Spotify to follow The Mountain Goats, they'll send you a notification when each new track pops up. I love seeing a notification for new stuff for one of my favorite bands.

And yes, the audio version is read by John. You can hear the first chunk of it here:
https://soundcloud.com/macaudio-2/wolf-in-white-van-by-john-darnielle-audiobook-excerpt
Oh. My. God. If this is available today I'm buying it today. Thanks you!

After a few listens to Heel Turn 2,I just can't fucking contain my excitement for this album.

besada

Banned
Oh. My. God. If this is available today I'm buying it today. Thanks you!

After a few listens to Heel Turn 2,I just can't fucking contain my excitement for this album.
It's on Audible and Amazon.

Also, I've been sending tweets to John and Aesop Rock, trying to convince them to work together again. Feel free to let them know how amazing that would be on Twitter.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Also, I've been sending tweets to John and Aesop Rock, trying to convince them to work together again. Feel free to let them know how amazing that would be on Twitter.

Coffee is so fucking dope, and one of the better songs on None Shall Pass. I'd love for a whole Aes Rock and John album.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?

I can help your cause I love twitter campaigns. No idea who these people are though, can you get me some links to their twitters?

Filthy Slug

Check out the Aesop Rock remix of Lovecraft in Brooklyn if you haven't:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkMEoqmbBA

Both of them responded to the tweets, by the way, Darnielle claiming that Aesop didn't love his idea of a concept album based on the NES Friday the 13th game:)

Ah, that remix is rad! Been a while since I heard it. And seriously, if an Aes Rock/JD NES concept album drops and is even half as good as Aes/Kimya Dawson's Uncluded, then it'll be one of my favorite albums. And if you cajole them into making them, you'll be my hero, beseda.

Horseticuffs

Check out the Aesop Rock remix of Lovecraft in Brooklyn if you haven't:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvkMEoqmbBA

Both of them responded to the tweets, by the way, Darnielle claiming that Aesop didn't love his idea of a concept album based on the NES Friday the 13th game:)
WHAT THE FUCK?
That would basically be like me seeing the shining face of God!

I love John! I have a fucking Jason tattoo I love Friday so much. I love video games.

I am legit heartbroken...

Aesop plz...
John needs to get on this album alone if Aesop ain't jumping.

Just saying that I don't think anyone else is using #wtfaesop is all.

GDGF

Soothsayer
He was really cool about meeting fans after his show here in Richmond. He told people to meet him in the lobby once they finished the encore.

They did No Children for the encore, and he got down on his knees near the end of the song. He got in real close to a guy standing one person over from me. He knocked his hat off and grabbed the guy by the back of his head, screaming "I AM DROWNING. THERE IS NO SIGN OF LAND. YOU ARE COMING DOWN WITH ME." Then he threw his hands out to touch any audience members he could reach while singing "Hand in unlovable hand." I was leaning against the stage in front of his keyboard, so I got to grab his hand. It was amazing.

Get there early and get up front. It's worth it.

That's awesome man! The Jinx is a pretty small venue, but Im still gonna go early and get as close to the front as possible.

I see we're posting favorite songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPZdEFLFq38

This is amazing. Holy shit.

Thinking about going to see them in SF in June... I usually try not to pay more than 12-15 for show tickets, though, and I know theirs usually go for around 30.

I've listened the shit out of We Shall All be Healed-- what should I listen to, next?

Going to see the show in LA.

Saw him do a solo acoustic set here in LA 2 years ago. it was amazing.

Horseticuffs

I can't pick one favorite! I credit John for getting me through my awful abusive marriage, separation, and ongoing divorce. Not to mention all the hours they've kept me company on my weight loss journey. Everything he's recorded has been so powerful and personal to me. All his shit is like a prayer.

Jenny is a really big one for me that kept me going while I was trying to get my license. No Children helped me get out of my marriage, but this song is just me in a nutshell:
The Mountain Goats - Autoclave: https://youtu.be/RZ-2kbculaI

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Tallahassee is one of my favorite albums of all time. It probably helps I went to school there, but the album is so fucking good.

All Hail West Texas is a close second. All hail the second best ever death metal band out of Denton. And Satan.

IronRinn

Coffee is so fucking dope, and one of the better songs on None Shall Pass. I'd love for a whole Aes Rock and John album.

This is basically my dream album. They sound so good together.

Horseticuffs

Lofi folk. One of his albums you can hear the reel to reel he is recording on.
You mention All Hail West Texas and one of the things I love about that album is you get to learn every pop and hiss of the cassette. The imperfection is perfection.

Hail Satan!

I'mma let you finish, but The Sunset Tree is one of the greatest albums of all time. It's a freaking masterpiece.

You Or Your Memory
This Year
Dance Music
Up The Wolves
Lion's Teeth
Love Love Love

Nothing else they've done comes close.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Seeing this bumped fills me with joy.

Tracks released so far:

The Legend of Chavo Guerrero

Heel Turn 2

Choked Out

I'm seeing them again in Cincinnati on April 16 with my best friend and I could not be more excited. They are incredible live and JD always has great banter between songs.

The Mountain Goats have been my favorite band for years and I *still* discover songs I've never heard. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

Two older tracks that have only been played live a handful of times:

Song for Roger Maris

Alpha Chum Gatherer

Horseticuffs

Seeing this bumped fills me with joy.

Tracks released so far:

The Legend of Chavo Guerrero

Heel Turn 2

Choked Out

I'm seeing them again in Cincinnati on April 16 with my best friend and I could not be more excited. They are incredible live and JD always has great banter between songs.

The Mountain Goats have been my favorite band for years and I *still* discover songs I've never heard. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

Two older tracks that have only been played live a handful of times:

Song for Roger Maris

Alpha Chum Gatherer

OOooooooooOOooh, a third single! Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom