• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mountain Goats: Beat the Champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Fucking GLORY.

Werewolf Gimmick is fucking top shelf! I haven't heard John swear this much since that song about John Coltrane.

Can't wait to buy this.
I used to work in regional professional wrestling in my late teens when I was a dumb young bastard and this is the only thing that ever slightly made me miss it other than the badass facial scar I got out of it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I will be singing "Foreign Object" all day now.

Loved the album on the first listen.

Haha. My girlfriend was singing that when she came home from work tonight, but she doesn't have all the words memorized. Just kept repeating:

I personally will stab you in the eye with a foreign object
Ba, ba da da, ba ba ba da, foreign obbbbject

Gonna lock up all the pointy stuff while she's at work tomorrow.

scotcheggz

Oh. I didn't know about this thanks, a must buy! I will avoid all previews like the plague and pick up the vinyl ASAP to listen as baby Jesus intended.

Horseticuffs

Listened to the album three times today. It's a great addition to the catalog!

Werewolf gimmick might be in his top ten best songs.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Foreign Object is absurd. Hell of an album here.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Southwestern Territory is pretty damn perfect and destroys me by the end. This album is fucking dominant.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Southwestern Territory is pretty damn perfect and destroys me by the end. This album is fucking dominant.

Right? The first half hit me more than the later tracks on my first listen, but it has all started to sink in more and more.

Southwestern Territory is such a great opener. The vocals are a lot like his live shows. He often sings sad songs in this very upbeat way, with a big smile. It's like the essence of tMG - simultaneously depressing and upbeat, sad and funny.

It is really hard to not dive in to this until I get my records in.

I haven't ordered anything from merge since his last album, I don't remember how their shipping is. Any chance it gets delivered on release day?

Filthy Slug

Right? The first half hit me more than the later tracks on my first listen, but it has all started to sink in more and more.

Southwestern Territory is such a great opener. The vocals are a lot like his live shows. He often sings sad songs in this very upbeat way, with a big smile. It's like the essence of tMG - simultaneously depressing and upbeat, sad and funny.

Super well-said, Bagels! Also, the first half of the album is just grossly stacked. Southwestern Territory -> Chavo -> Foreign Object -> Animal Mask -> Choked Out -> Heel 2 is just pure fucking bliss.

I'm pretty bummed that I couldn't get tickets to the NY show, but I'm super pumped that I snatched up a vinyl and I can rock out to it with a luchador mask on, which I imagine is the way it's meant to be listened to.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
He often sings sad songs in this very upbeat way, with a big smile. It's like the essence of tMG - simultaneously depressing and upbeat, sad and funny.

This is how I've tried to describe Mountain Goats to people, but you summarized them way better. That's why I love them. The dark lyrics paired with the bright, happy music is just perfect.

besada

Banned
Finally got to listen to the whole album last night and absolutely loved it. It's much less slick sounding than the last album. Honestly, I like both sounds, but it works relly well for this album. It's mostly just back to John and his guitar. I look forward to listening to it over and over again. Come to Dallas, John!

Holy fuckoly, they ARE coming to Dallas and I have tickets now! June 8th!

Filthy Slug

Got my shipping confirmation! Also saw pictures of the green and gold vinyl on Twitter, looks awesome.

I'm so mad that I missed that (by months). Somebody post pictures of all the awesome shit that comes with it so I can stare at my plain ass black vinyl thinking of what could have been.

Horseticuffs

Omg I just realized that I'm off on the seventh! Will it come out at 12am est on Google Play?

I wanna put this thing on and just drive for miles!

Jakoo

I saw these guys in Nashville with my fiancée last night.

Never really listened to them before but I was swept up in how much the lead singer loves to perform. Since half the songs were about wrestling I imagine it was mostly new material from this album. It all sounded great!

Horseticuffs

I saw these guys in Nashville with my fiancée last night.

Never really listened to them before but I was swept up in how much the lead singer loves to perform. Since half the songs were about wrestling I imagine it was mostly new material from this album. It all sounded great!
I'm glad you had a great time. I often wish John would play my shitty little town.

Filthy Slug

That sounds great. Maybe it's time for a road trip.

Also, check this week's tag:)
Yoo. Can I challenge you to a tlc match for that tag, cause it's the best?

Horseticuffs

Where do you live, Horseticuffs?
I'm sure he's been within 100 miles of my town; Inverness, Florida. I'm just kinda new to driving anywhere other than my little town.
That sounds great. Maybe it's time for a road trip.

Also, check this week's tag:)
Oh man, that's great. I'd lose my shit to have "Full werewolf off the buckle". This album is so amazing. Take my money, Darnielle!

Unicorn

I didn't dig the previous album. Was one of the first 1000 or w/e to get the 7in - both songs there were way better than any track on the album. Did the same for this album too.

I missed the NPR stream. Anyone that loves AHWT, Tallahassee, Sunset Tree era stuff that didn't like Transcendental have thoughts for this album?

blackflag

Well thanks. Never heard of them and turns out its right up my alley. Listened to their stuff on Spotify and it's great.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Now that I've had some sleep, details!

Perfect show. Started with an old Dusty Rhodes promo blasting on the loudspeaker, and then the band came on stage and broke into Southwestern Territory before declaring that "Finally, The Mountain Goats have come back to Savannah!" It was awesome. A wonderful mix of new and old songs, and an amazing night.

d1BtL1u.jpg

Pretty much everybody there knew every song, even the new stuff, and you could tell John was happy about that.

Horseticuffs

Now that I've had some sleep, details!

Perfect show. Started with an old Dusty Rhodes promo blasting on the loudspeaker, and then the band came on stage and broke into Southwestern Territory before declaring that "Finally, The Mountain Goats have come back to Savannah!" It was awesome. A wonderful mix of new and old songs, and an amazing night.

d1BtL1u.jpg

Pretty much everybody there knew every song, even the new stuff, and you could tell John was happy about that.
Sounds awesome! Great pic.

Horseticuffs

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bzkgnxgh5xfdledk6aeacej4s3m

We're up for sale, guys! On Play, at least. I'm streaming with all access if you're a subscriber.

EDIT: It's like 24 hours early, right? Because there is some WACKY shit going on with the stream. Every song is starting like 30 seconds in and stopping randomly.

EDIT 2: I *LOVE* the tag! Thank you, anonymous benefactor coming down from the rafters to save me!

EDIT 3: I just bought the damned thing outright. If anyone deserves my $9.49 it is John Darnielle. Playback is smooth as butter on the purchased copy.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm wondering if I'll get a digital copy if I buy the vinyl on Amazon. Like Clockwork came with one, but I'm not sure if that's the standard.

Horseticuffs

Feels so good to be able to listen to Choked Out on repeat. I appreciate the page NPR set up but damn if it was inconvenient on mobile lol.

besada

Banned
They did Foreign Object on Seth Meyers last night. It was good. Also, the album is up on Spotify.

EDIT 2: I *LOVE* the tag! Thank you, anonymous benefactor coming down from the rafters to save me!

Huh, what a coinkydink. I womder what would happen if someone else wanted a Mountain Goats lyric as a tag?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
About to take a long country drive with this on the stereo!

Why didn't he ever come to Columbus, Ohio when I was living there? <_<

EDIT
Huh, what a coinkydink. I womder what would happen if someone else wanted a Mountain Goats lyric as a tag?

I'm just a junior, but someday when I'm all growed up, I will hopefully land a tag from "See America Right" or "The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton"

A man can dream

Horseticuffs

They did Foreign Object on Seth Meyers last night. It was good. Also, the album is up on Spotify.

I found your tweet to him about the Friday the 13th album last night and I couldn't resist tweeting at him about it. My god, that's like my dream project, but so much beauty was never meant for this world.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Probably nothing.

I went ahead and ordered the vinyl. My Heretic Pride vinyl came with a code for a digital copy, so I think this one should as well.

Filthy Slug

Probably nothing.

I went ahead and ordered the vinyl. My Heretic Pride vinyl came with a code for a digital copy, so I think this one should as well.

It does, and by the way, this is one of the best vinyl packages I've seen in a while. Incredible illustrations on the front and back and the interior has some fun stuff from John. Oh and it comes with fucking rad stickers!

I'm still mad I missed out on the bonus record and the colored discs.

E: Also, I keep honing in on "You found my breaking point...Congratulations" in Heel turn 2. John adds in this really great sarcastic slight-laugh into it that adds a ton more depth to the song. Really beautiful stuff.

Horseticuffs

It does, and by the way, this is one of the best vinyl packages I've seen in a while. Incredible illustrations on the front and back and the interior has some fun stuff from John. Oh and it comes with fucking rad stickers!

I'm still mad I missed out on the bonus record and the colored discs.

E: Also, I keep honing in on "You found my breaking point...Congratulations" in Heel turn 2. John adds in this really great sarcastic slight-laugh into it that adds a ton more depth to the song. Really beautiful stuff.
Absolutely. John is the master of intonation. I'll never forget the way he says "Let the young lions come, so I may break their jaws!" He's not a big dude, but his voice is full of raw power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom