• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mountain Goats: Beat the Champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, we need to revive this thread!

NYC show tickets just went on sale: BUY HERE

The venue looks small and great, and tickets are cheap (~27 bucks max). I'll be there Tuesday night if any other Mountain-Gaffers are going.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Sorry for the bump, but I just saw them in Indianapolis last night. They absolutely killed it.

Here's the best live recording of tMG I have ever heard, from my one-time home of New Haven, CT, on April 2. Incredible energy from the band, amazing setlist (we also got Maize Stalk Drinking Blood, which I love!). We even got Diaz Brothers, Kipp!

JD was dancing around and seemed to be in an even better mood than usual. The whole band was just so into it. I wonder if Matt Douglas will join as part of the permanent band membership? He adds so much to their sound.

The best bit of stage banter was the solo set in the middle. JD played Transjordanian Blues (!) and was doing a little banter, as he does. He said, "I don't really have a setlist for the solo part..." and someone shouted out "THIS YEAR!" JD stopped and went, "This Year...During the solo set. [Looks back at where the band would be]...By myself. 'Hey! Play that big closing number that people who hate your music still like!' I don't think so, my friend." I died.

Great mix of better known stuff (the encore has Up the Wolves, No Children, and yes, This Year), more obscure stuff, the old and the new...just a super magical tour, it seems. I cannot imagine they won't do some UK dates with this tour. I want to see some announced so I can send some UK friends out to an incredible first Mountain Goats show.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
ANOTHER TOUR! TICKETS ON SALE FRIDAY!

THE MOUNTAIN GOATS WE WHO WALK BEHIND THE ROWS FALL TOUR 2016

7/22 – Subterranean – Chicago, IL
9/18 – Rams Head Live – Baltimore, MD
9/19 – The National – Richmond, VA
9/20 – Jefferson Theater – Charlottesville, VA
9/22 – Buskirk–Chumley Theatre – Bloomington, IN
9/23 – Castle Theatre – Bloomington, IL
9/26 – The Englert Theatre – Iowa City, IA
9/27 – Pabst Theater – Milwaukee, WI
9/28 – Majestic Theatre – Madison, WI
9/30 – The Waiting Room – Omaha, NE
10/1 – Madrid Theater – Kansas City, MO
10/2 – The Blue Note – Columbia, MO
10/3 – Codfish Hollow Barnstormers – Maquoketa, IA

"WE’RE WORKING ON NEW STUFF NOW. As is usually the case, I know more about it than I’m gonna tell you outright, because the best things gestate in the secret darkness and only emerge when the portents say it’s time. But the best place to prepare for the spring festival is in the arena: in front of an audience, I mean, in clubs, on stages, in the actual thick of things. It’s where the road ahead becomes clearest. It’s where the indicators glow brightest. It’s where we live."

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Like, when the heck are you gonna pick me up to go to a show. Bagels I am sitting here waiting but the invite never comes.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Like, when the heck are you gonna pick me up to go to a show. Bagels I am sitting here waiting but the invite never comes.

Come to Bloomington, Mike! I'll even put you up!

*edit* Make sure you come to the one in Indiana.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I want to go to another show badly.

Also, here's what I learned from the last show, John won't take picture with you, but he'll totally sign records and stuff!

besada

Banned
Jealous. I saw them not that long ago, but I'd be happy to see them again.

Love to hear some of the stuff they're working on. Great thing about the Mountain Goats -- you never have to wait too long for a new album.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Someone bring me to Bloomington :(

Besada do you have extra room in your truck for me?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yessssssss fuck yesssss. Gonna be at that show at The National. Saw them there when they were touring for TY. I actually managed to buy the first shirt sold on the tour, since they made that their first show and I got there way early.

Wait, Charlottesville on 09/20? That's my hometown, kinda want to see them there instead.

Sweet! Tickets bought to the Iowa City show. The Codfish Hollow show would be awesome too, but it's a bit of a trek for a Monday night concert.

DireStr8s

This band meant so much to me during thier boombox era. The last album I really enjoyed was Full Force Galesburg. Happy for them that they've found a wider audience.

edit: damn, that was 1997. I'm old!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom