• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mountain Goats: Beat the Champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

Huh, what a coinkydink. I womder what would happen if someone else wanted a Mountain Goats lyric as a tag?

Haha.

11103074_861440277255541_3482235841805117_o.jpg

I got my LE Vinyl in tonight. Listening to digital version now. A little more than halfway through on my first listen.

It's very much a Transcendental Youth sound, but more southwestern and country-inspired. I'm digging it a lot more than TY. It will take a few more listens before I make final judgement, but currently it's resting between The Life of the World to Come and Heretic Pride. Some of the energetic moments have Tallahassee vibes.

It is interesting how much wrestling culture is coming into vogue lately, though. I have never been a fan, but have dug the more luchadore culture of wrestling. If anything, the GiantBomb crew and John are making me see wrestling in a new light.

I'm really looking forward to Blood Capsules and Dub Capsules once I get through the rest of this album. Steal Smoked Fish was by far my favorite track to come out of my TY package last time.

EDIT:

So far, Luna is my favorite track.
Nvm, it's Werewolf Gimmick.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
They did Foreign Object on Seth Meyers last night. It was good. Also, the album is up on Spotify.

Huh, what a coinkydink. I womder what would happen if someone else wanted a Mountain Goats lyric as a tag?

I would kill for
"I don't know if that's true, but I've been told, It's real sweet to grow old."

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Oh, man, I was jamming out to the album in my car yesterday with a few friends in it, and they asked me if this was a) Weird Al, and then during Animal Mask, if this was b) Barney/children's music (which is a hilariously weird, dated, cliche thing for them to say in the first place). I honestly thought about powerbombing them onto the hood of a nearby car and then driving off into the sunset.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Still planning to spend more time with the album, but right now the album opener is my favorite.

No one drives on the 60 this late
Feel like the last person alive

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Oh, man, I was jamming out to the album in my car yesterday with a few friends in it, and they asked me if this was a) Weird Al, and then during Animal Mask, if this was b) Barney/children's music (which is a hilariously weird, dated, cliche thing for them to say in the first place). I honestly thought about powerbombing them onto the hood of a nearby car and then driving off into the sunset.
Nobody in my life gets this stuff. My girlfriend and kids think I'm weird because they've never heard any of the music I like on the radio.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Nobody in my life gets this stuff. My girlfriend and kids think I'm weird because they've never heard any of the music I like on the radio.

Yeah, it's a bummer sometimes because I feel like people unfamiliar with The Mountain Goats don't tune into the actual lyrics.

Like, for me, this album has some great, great sounds, but the lyrics are what I latch onto more passionately. It may sound silly, at first, to devote an album to professional wrestling, but listening to any single song intently reveals a sincerely smart, deep, playful, and nostalgic story.

I haven't been this excited about an album for a little while, basically.

besada

Banned

We're here for you, Horseticuffs.

I'm fortunate because my wife likes them almost as much as I do, and I have a couple of friends who at least like an album here or there. But I'm old, so it's okay for me to listen to folky, indie stuff. No one expects me to listen to modern radio fare.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

My girlfriend didn't like The Mountain Goats until we went to see them live. Hearing John talk about his songs and werewolf poetry made her a fan. These days, she's listens to them all the time.

Trurl

Banned
This album is so great. The best tMG album since Life of the World to Come and Choked Out and Foreign Object are the most fun Goats songs in a long time.

Unicorn

I hear ya. My best friend calls him the tin-can man based on older stuff I used to listen to. Now he calls him nose job because of his nasally voice. Typically, significant others will say his songs sound the same or know well enough to keep quiet unless they want me to ramble for an hour about his lyrical genius.

besada

Banned
My best friend calls him the tin-can man based on older stuff I used to listen to. Now he calls him nose job because of his nasally voice.
"You called him names to try to get beneath my skin
Now your ashes are scattered on the wind."

Also, looking good, Bagels.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Feels great! Thanks! As one of the oldest members of my group of friends, (I just turned 34), with one kid who will be 5 in two weeks, and another due at the end of July, this line speaks to me. :)

no one likes a moldy bagel.

kamineko

So while we're all here, what's everybody's fave MG album? I listened to the entirety of "Tallahassee" for the first time in a while this morning & it's really held up well.

I think age and experience has helped me better understand some of the songs. Thinking about my own failed marriage, some of the lyrics hit. hard.

Unicorn

So while we're all here, what's everybody's fave MG album? I listened to the entirety of "Tallahassee" for the first time in a while this morning & it's really held up well.

I think age and experience has helped me better understand some of the songs. Thinking about my own failed marriage, some of the lyrics hit. hard.

All Hail West Texas.

Tallahassee is a close second. Excellent break-up album.

besada

Banned
Hard to pick a favorite, but at the moment I'd say Tallahassee, Transcendental Youth, and The Sunset Tree are my top three.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Babylon Springs never gets enough love when discussing MG albums. I think it's my favorite EP.

On that note (and if we're still doing requests), a tag of simply "maybe tomorrow it rains" would be pretty awesome. Alibi is probably in my top 5 favorite MG songs.

besada

Banned
Babylon Springs never gets enough love when discussing MG albums. I think it's my favorite EP.

On that note (and if we're still doing requests), a tag of simply "maybe tomorrow it rains" would be pretty awesome. Alibi is probably in my top 5 favorite MG songs.
Requests? All I see is some really strange coincidences.

Anyone listened to the re-release of The Hound Chronicles/Hot Garden Stomp? I was looking at it the other day and wondering if I should pick it up.

Filthy Slug

Anyone listened to the re-release of The Hound Chronicles/Hot Garden Stomp? I was looking at it the other day and wondering if I should pick it up.

It would be the strangest and best coincidence to have "Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face" :)

Also, I'm still bummed I missed the nyc show this week.

Unicorn

I really like Hot Garden Stomp.

Going to Japan and 15-1 are amazing songs.

Somewhat unrelated, but Korean Bird Paintings has been my favorite track for a couple years now. Barely overtook Golden Boy.
https://youtu.be/Lw3ZNvtITfg

kamineko

No, but Shrimper put out some good Sentridoh stuff around the same time. I think they like good music

Ooo, I need to listen to this. I've seen the Mountain Goats twice in concert, once with the full backing band at a local venue, and once with just John Darnielle playing acoustic in a church. Both were absolutely amazing; two of the best concerts I have ever been to.

Oh man a Mountain Goats thread!

I think Beat the Champ is their best album in a while - Choked Out, Heel Turn 2 and Werewolf Gimmick are standouts.

If we're doing favourite songs, I really love Counting Song for Bitter Children and Rockin' Rockin' Pet Store.

Wolf in White Van was a Christmas present. I was really worried that I'd hate it as songwriters don't have a great history with novels, but of course JD's had to be fantastic.

Edit: If there are any coincidences still going, it sure would be great to have "if thine enemy oppresseth you
you must let him oppress you some more" from Golden Boy.

Filthy Slug

Oh man a Mountain Goats thread!

I think Beat the Champ is their best album in a while - Choked Out, Heel Turn 2 and Werewolf Gimmick are standouts.

Wolf in White Van was a Christmas present. I was really worried that I'd hate it as songwriters don't have a great history with novels, but of course JD's had to be fantastic.
I'm really excited to read John's book after I finish Chabon's Wonder Boys. I've heard good things about it and I'm hoping that his musical flow will help give his writing a really nice stylistic flow.

Also, besada is the absolute best!

bearbomb

Neo Member
I really love mountain goats, one of my favorite bands, a bucket list and an inspiration to play music.

I also like wrestling, so this is like a dream come true hahaha.

I really like Hot Garden Stomp.

Going to Japan and 15-1 are amazing songs.

Somewhat unrelated, but Korean Bird Paintings has been my favorite track for a couple years now. Barely overtook Golden Boy.
https://youtu.be/Lw3ZNvtITfg

I've seen him play Golden Boy live. It was pretty amazing.

Edit; same night he played Surrounded, My Favorite Things, Going to Alaska and Alpha Sun Hat.

It was a really good show.

besada

Banned
I'm really excited to read John's book after I finish Chabon's Wonder Boys. I've heard good things about it and I'm hoping that his musical flow will help give his writing a really nice stylistic flow.

Also, besada is the absolute best!
Wolf in White Van is a wonderful book. It was nominated for the National Book Prize and, although it didn't win, that's pretty amazing for a first novel. It's also the best thing I've read all year.

Unicorn

I've seen him play Golden Boy live. It was pretty amazing.

Edit; same night he played Surrounded, My Favorite Things, Going to Alaska and Alpha Sun Hat.

It was a really good show.
Fuck man. How long ago was that?

Wolf in White Van is a wonderful book. It was nominated for the National Book Prize and, although it didn't win, that's pretty amazing for a first novel. It's also the best thing I've read all year.
He wrote a novella based on the Sabbath Album Master of Reality. It was a pretty good read that channeled Best Ever Death Band Out of Denton. I'm still chugging through Wolf in White Van. Got it for my bday in September but school has been nuts.

kamineko

Not to derail, but are there any recent music suggestions from other artists? I figure I can trust MG fans, and it's hard to hear about new music here in my hermitage.

Horseticuffs

Not to derail, but are there any recent music suggestions from other artists? I figure I can trust MG fans, and it's hard to hear about new music here in my hermitage.
I used MG as a radio "seed" on Play and it introduced me to a band called "The Thermals". They do some fun kinda pop-punk that deals with a lot of religious themes.

I'm also a really big fan of a band called "The Gaslight Anthem" who sound sort of like The Killers crossed with epic themes and a lot of "Springsteen-y" Americana.

kamineko

I used MG as a radio "seed" on Play and it introduced me to a band called "The Thermals". They do some fun kinda pop-punk that deals with a lot of religious themes.

I'm also a really big fan of a band called "The Gaslight Anthem" who sound sort of like The Killers crossed with epic themes and a lot of "Springsteen-y" Americana.

I know both of those bands. They're pretty cool. The Amnesty International album of Dylan covers a while back was a mixed bag, but the most memorable, solid track was GA's cover of "Changing of the Guards." So good.

This is a copy of a DVD that I believe was sold on TMG tours around the release of The Life of the World to Come.

It's JD (occasionally accompanied by Rachel Ware) playing the whole album back to back in a music hall in Pomona, CA.

It's also directed by Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper)

Horseticuffs

This is a copy of a DVD that I believe was sold on TMG tours around the release of The Life of the World to Come.

It's JD (occasionally accompanied by Rachel Ware) playing the whole album back to back in a music hall in Pomona, CA.

Oh sweet! This is Life of the World in Flux I think. I've always wanted to see this.

Filthy Slug

Oh, man--that's awesome! Thanks for sharing this.

Horseticuffs

Foreign Object was amazing live, as was Werewolf GImmick
I'll bet. One of many lottery fantasies (I don't even play!) is to have John play my birthday. I've heard and seen recordings of live stuff, but being there must be a whole other level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom