• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AstroLad said:
I rarely do this but -- check the OP!
You should take this image and add "Read the OP" to the bottom for general use!

pic112126.jpg

Would also make a good RTFM image. :)

Ended up doing Tide of Iron instead of Horus Heresy. Great game but the set up time is a killer. Really have to plan the game ahead and set up the board/scenario before getting together with people. Game is a good wargame that doesn't reach the complexity of games like ASL but is very tactical unlike Mermoir.

The set up and clean up of the game seems to be the main factor that keeps us from playing it more.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
The BGG guy is going to send me my copies of Lost Cities and Battle Line early next week.. so I probably won't have them in time for next weekends game night. Not a huge deal since I got them mostly for girlfriend play.
Don't forget with Battle Line to play with the "advanced" rule of claiming flags only at beginnings of turns, and not immediately after placing cards. Sounds simple, but makes a world of difference.

XiaNaphryz

AstroLad said:
Don't forget with Battle Line to play with the "advanced" rule of claiming flags only at beginnings of turns, and not immediately after placing cards. Sounds simple, but makes a world of difference.
Indeed, it allows for more defensive plays with tactics cards to respond to a flag potentially getting claimed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So, the Race For the Galaxy AI that Astrolad put up in the first post also support multiplayer over the internet.

Like the Dominion game, it is 100% self contained (you don't need the cards) has all 3 expansions and graphics!

I think we should try a game of RFTG + Gathering Storm some night this week.

http://www.keldon.net/rftg/
What time is good for you guys? I'm good after 9 EST Tue-Thurs

Fjord

Are there any games for Android yet? Sorry if this has been mentioned but I have only seen iphone mentioned.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
AstroLad said:

Not Tuesday, any other night I can make work. I'm sure I have to take the girlfriend out at some point this week, but I can work that around RFTG (no one tell her where she rates :lol)

Also, I am either a lot worse at this game then I thought or the AI is pretty damn good. I'm doing good right now to be in not last place and I've been running a pretty damn good production machine. The AI is getting to 70 points in 8-10 turns.

Good news is the game moves really fast since it automates a lot of the process.

StoOgE

Neverfade said:
Finally!

Maybe people will start listening once you sing it's praises. No one believes me :p

Glory to Rome was out of print forever, and the new printing looks like the Snorks threw up on a deck of cards.. I might check it out at some point.

Astrolad: in addition to the "group/party games" section maybe a cheap game section would be good (i.e. good games you should be able to find for under 25 dollars). Because I'm sure a lot of new people might be willing to check out some of these games but might not want buy 35-50 dollar games.

AstroLad said:
-Dominion: Prosperity Expansion
-Fresko (Fresco) Board Game
-Glory to Rome Board Game

You pulling your orders straight out of my wishlist now? :D

Really wanting your impressions on Fresco when it arrives. BGG's reviews make it sound awesome.

AstroLad said:
YES. I am 100% on board with this. I can play most weeknights after 9 EST. I presume it's live play?

I also found this through twitter. It's a Puerto Rico clone with AIs and online play. Plays live. AI is pretty competent.

Neverfade said:
Finally!

Maybe people will start listening once you sing it's praises. No one believes me :p

I believe you, it's been on my wishlist at board game geek for awhile :) The wife has banned new game purchases for awhile, but I've found there's some people on there willing to trade it and they want Thunderstone, so I may contact them and see if I can make that trade happen.

AstroLad said:

Tuesday night my class is taking a final, so I'll be very able and willing to play at 9 EST. I may have to go AFK sporadically if students have questions, but otherwise I'm stuck there for 3 and a half hours while they test.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hmmm you guys wanna try wed at 9:30?

platy i can probably do tuesday too, we can do a little 2p action

anyone else wants to play just post, it's an awesome implementation

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
hmmm you guys wanna try wed at 9:30?

platy i can probably do tuesday too, we can do a little 2p action

anyone else wants to play just post, it's an awesome implementation

That works for me.. and yes, this implementation is amazingly good.

StoOgE said:
Glory to Rome was out of print forever, and the new printing looks like the Snorks threw up on a deck of cards.. I might check it out at some point.

Astrolad: in addition to the "group/party games" section maybe a cheap game section would be good (i.e. good games you should be able to find for under 25 dollars). Because I'm sure a lot of new people might be willing to check out some of these games but might not want buy 35-50 dollar games.
The old printing wasn't better. In fact I think it's the same art.

StoOgE

I have finally beaten the computer.. damn, it really forced you to minimax your damn prodcue -> consume cycle to win. I had 4 production worlds creating rare elements, and a card that gave me 3 VP for 2 Rare elements and another card that let me generate 1VP per card burned up to 2 and was grinding out cards there at the end.

I got lucky that the AI was selecting produce and consume towards the end of the game so I was able to use the draw 3 keep 2 mechanic and grind out extra VP that way. I would have been screwed had the AI not kept selecting both produce and consume there at the end.

Neverfade

You are all terrible people with terrible friends.

GtR and myself both hate you all.

The old printing also had richer colors, but its nothing you'll notice if you don't have a side by side.

Neverfade said:
You are all terrible people with terrible friends.

GtR and myself both hate you all.

The old printing also had richer colors, but its nothing you'll notice if you don't have a side by side.

Seriously. As if we ITT don't play a lot of games with questionable art all the time. Hell, Stone Age might be the only game I own that I actually think has good art.

XiaNaphryz

BattleMonkey said:
OMG I just found out that Battle Cry is getting a new edition soon
I always regretted not picking up the original release. Then again, it was between that and Queen's Gambit at the time, so that worked out okay for me anyway.

StoOgE

Onny said:
Woman obsessed with computer game left children to eat cold baked beans

Relevant to BGGaf because she was playing an online version of Small World!

who the fuck can get so addicted to Small World that they let their dogs starve to death and then leave the bodies sitting in their kitchen?

FFS, I like the game but there just isn't that much to it.

Now, RFTG online thing? Poor Maya better learn how to go to the store and get her own kibble, StoOgE has produce -> consume machines to build.

Onny

Can you even play that game online?

And to think, I was going to get it for my wife for Christmas. Disaster averted!

FrancisH

I found some nice little storage boxes in a craft shop that just fits inside the Arkham box, which is nice. Got fed up of little bags for each different piece so from 12 bags I am now down to 3 for monsters and gates :D
2utkjl4.jpg

They are from Hobbycraft and are just called "Storage Box" size is 9x17x3cm.

XiaNaphryz

FrancisH said:
I found some nice little storage boxes in a craft shop that just fits inside the Arkham box, which is nice. Got fed up of little bags for each different piece so from 12 bags I am now down to 3 for monsters and gates :D
My AH storage solution no longer fits in one box, due to all the expansions.

StoOgE

XiaNaphryz said:
My AH storage solution no longer fits in one box, due to all the expansions.

I've seen an online video of one of the guys from the Dice Tower in his basement.. it is crazy enough because the guy has pushing a 1000 games.. but his heroscape collection is just plane nuts.

He drug out like 5 or 6 giant plastic tubs.. tubs big enough to hold 5-6 normal board games.. and it is just filled with heroscape stuff.

Heroscape is so awful, can't believe how addicted some people are to that game. If your going to spend so much on a miniature game, at least make it a good one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BattleMonkey said:
Heroscape is so awful, can't believe how addicted some people are to that game. If your going to spend so much on a miniature game, at least make it a good one.

Heroscape is up there with Munchkin on the "list of games that I really don't get why they're popular".

StoOgE

Stumpokapow said:
Heroscape is up there with Munchkin on the "list of games that I really don't get why they're popular".

I'm in a math trade on BGG right now and the number of people trying to unload Munchkin is insane.

Of course, I'm trying to unload Monopoly and Clue :lol

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Just realized that I have been teaching people to play Catan wrong! Ha!

For some reason I forgot cities produce double and I forgot that you could trade 4:1 any time :/

Munchkin was ok for a simple casual "fun" game, but the amount of expansions they put out for such a game is ridiculous.

Seems like most people who adore Munchkin are not very hardcore into gaming for the most part, same thing with Killer Bunnies.

ultron87

This weekend I played 6 player Catan. We were reduced to that because the vast majority of our games are 5 or fewer players and I didn't really have the wherewithal at the time to bust out Arkham Horror and teach 4 people how to play. It's a shame we only have the Storm of Swords expansion for Game of Thrones, if we'd had Clash of Kings we could've played 6-player that.

Not that there is anything wrong with 6 player Catan. It actually kind of hearkens back to the day's when our group was just getting in to Eurogames and things were only sort of complicated.

Also, me and my housemates played Liar's Dice, because we were bored and felt like betting on something.

Stumpokapow said:

I dunno, Munchkin has it's moments. And by moments I mean "Turning a Level 1 Potted Plant into a Level 20 Dragon that proceeds to eat your friend after you force him to reroll his escape roll". Sure it is entirely luck based, but such a game has it's place.

Evlar

Banned
It's been at least a year since I last played Catan. I would really like to play it again, honestly, and have been bringing it to game sessions for more than a month now- it's just in an inconvenient place regarding time (if we play anything else, we don't have time for Catan) and number of players. Since it requires at least 3, my wife and I can't play it ourselves, and most often we either have just the 2 of us or 5 or 6 people wanting to play, which causes the time issues mentioned above.

ultron87

Staccat0 said:
Anyone ever player "Werewolves of the Miller" ?
Looks like a pretty fun, simple and cheap game you can play with LARGE groups (think 15 people)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009Z3M8S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Interested if gaf has an oppinion, because my group is pretty big

I believe this is just the party game Mafia. You can play it with almost any number of people and an ordinary deck of cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(game)

Be warned, this is one of those game that has the potential to tear apart friendships.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
ultron87 said:
I believe this is just the party game Mafia. You can play it with almost any number of people and an ordinary deck of cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(game)

Be warned, this is one of those game that has the potential to tear apart friendships.
AHhhh... Never played mafia. This is good to know! My friends tend to enjoy lots of yelling when they play games so that sounds good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You should try Citadels. Plays with up to 9, super cutthroat, and costs like 15 bucks or less.

I'll add the party game/6+ player game section to the OP by this weekend.

Also if anyone wants to play online Race for the Galaxy with us on Wednesday at 9 EST let us know!

XiaNaphryz

AstroLad said:
I'll add the party game/6+ player game section to the OP by this weekend.
I'd split those into different sections, as many out there look for 6+ player games that aren't necessarily party games.

StoOgE

Astrolad, if you don't mind I may put something together for good, cheap entry level games to add to the OP, I'll follow your formatting guidelines. Games that are sub 25 dollars on Amazon (meaning sub 20 on CSI, etc)

I was thinking Carcassonne, San Juan, Citadels, Forbidden Island, Hive.

It's a nice mix and not too heavy on card games (most of the really good sub 25 dollar games are card games, but this has a nice mix with Hive, FI and Carca)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sure! Feel free to change the style accordingly since some of those games are mentioned elsewhere (or just refer to the earlier text if you'd like).

Bigfoot

I posted in the last Board game thread a couple of times. We have Carcassonne right now with an expansion and Ticket to Ride with 1910. My gf loves Carc (as do I), but she doesn't like Ttr as much as I do. I was able to play a 5 player game of Ttr and everyone liked it although it did take a long time with 5.

Anyways, I'd like to get a few more games and my main goal is to get something my gf would like... an added plus would be that it works well with 4 if we have friends over, but most of the play will be the two of us.

Going by the OP and some BGG reading of the Honerable Mentions, I've got it down to the following pairs:

1) Dominion or Stone Age: Dominion gets a lot of mention in this thread but which is best for two players? Also, is Dominion okay with no expansions or are they needed (the expansions cost as much as the full game!)?

2) Forbidden Island or Pandemic: I think the theme of FI would go over better than Pandemic so I've pretty much decided to go with it. The price is also much better, but I'm open to reasons to get Pandemic over FI.

3) Battle Line or Lost Cities: I don't know much about these other than what was in the OP. A 2 player card game sounds fun but both look similar so which would you recommend.

4) Party Game: I asked this in the last thread but how is Ca$h and Gun$? I want to get a party game and this one caught my eye last time I visited the game store. Looks fun and simple which is what I'm looking for. Any other party game recommendations (we have Cranium and Bolderdash).

Porthos said:
4) Party Game: I asked this in the last thread but how is Ca$h and Gun$? I want to get a party game and this one caught my eye last time I visited the game store. Looks fun and simple which is what I'm looking for. Any other party game recommendations (we have Cranium and Bolderdash).

Ca$h and Gun$ is pretty silly fun. Rules are very simple, the main object being the whole who double crosses who aspect of the game. For party game with casual players, it's a neat diversion.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I play Dominion mostly 2P and it is still very strong. No expansions are necessary in the way that some other games practically require them. But the expansions are all all awesome. Besides Alchemy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Going by the OP and some BGG reading of the Honerable Mentions, I've got it down to the following pairs:

1) Dominion or Stone Age: Dominion gets a lot of mention in this thread but which is best for two players? Also, is Dominion okay with no expansions or are they needed (the expansions cost as much as the full game!)?

2) Forbidden Island or Pandemic: I think the theme of FI would go over better than Pandemic so I've pretty much decided to go with it. The price is also much better, but I'm open to reasons to get Pandemic over FI.

3) Battle Line or Lost Cities: I don't know much about these other than what was in the OP. A 2 player card game sounds fun but both look similar so which would you recommend.

1) Dominion or Stone Age: Dominion plays OK with two. It gets dry a bit more quickly with two though imo. For some reason, I'm inclined to recommend Stone Age here because of the pretty art, the fact that you can introduce worker-placement mechanics and maybe graduate to games like Agricola at some point, and the fact that it plays surprisingly well with two. Even though I think Dominion is fundamentally the better game.

2) Forbidden Island or Pandemic: Same designer, so they are very similar. Pandemic is more involved, more challenging, and longer. If a light (and fairly easy on normal) co-op romp is what you're looking for, FI is a perfectly good choice. If you absolutely fall in loev with it, you can always move on to Pandemic.

3) Battle Line or Lost Cities: Lost Cities is the far better-known game, and they're both fun light card-placement games, but for my money Battle Line is the better choice. There's just a lot more depth because of the Tactics cards in Battle Line. The interaction and screwage they introduce is also quite fun. Lost Cities is a more basic push-your-luck game and that's about it. (Not that I don't like it.)

4) Party Game: Incoming in this weekend's update! My quickie suggestions are Time's Up!, Say Anything, Wits & Wagers, and Bohnanza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom