• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
damnit, I just timed out again :(

Not that I was doing any good on that hand.

alright, my connection is too buggy tonight. I'll call timewarner and yell at them till I get a new cable modem again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
third game was for pride!

nice games pillow, pretty great if that was really your first time. even i had to dust off the cobwebs :lol

That second game was pretty ludicrous for me. Literally every draw I got a card that I could just barely play that was awesome for my alien strategy. It got to a point where those 6 cost alien cards were free for me!

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
That second game was pretty ludicrous for me. Literally every draw I got a card that I could just barely play that was awesome for my alien strategy. It got to a point where those 6 cost alien cards were free for me!

The 2nd game (only one I played in) was just brutal. I started with some good cards for the military route.. so I started there. and then I drew two rare element producing cards and a card to get 3 VP for 2 rare elements, so I tried to change tactics halfway through building my tableau.

By the time I got my production engine ready to hum, everyone was 15+ points ahead of me and I had no chance of doing anything. Right at the end I finally got a 6 point development card down that should have been worth 8 VP once I finished my last turn.. but then my connection crapped out and I have no idea what Robostooge was up to.

I suck at the military option and just need to avoid it no matter what my starting world is.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Breaking out the long-forgotten recent release Snow Tails this weekend. I snagged this when it came out and then didn't play it, like a shameful gaming-sider. Anyway, at least it's pretty.

pic453517_md.jpg

Wait, what? haha
think he's referring to your proclivity for longer games

Daigoro

great thread. i never have time to play boardgames with friends anymore. it sucks!

man i remember the good old days of Axis and Allies. Games Workshop has some awesome games as well, like Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, and Warhammer Quest.

i have a ton of stuff sitting around not being used. i need to get a game night together.

some of these look like cool pick up and play type games. i should check out Carrasone or Settlers of Catan.

edit: ooh looking at that store Astro posted up to buy games at, there is a Space Hulk co-op card game that was supposed to be released this summer. that sounds cool. i love Space Hulk.

edit 2: Arkham Horror looks like the best game ever. seems like my kind of game. i love gothic horror motif, and i fucking LOVE hefty and complicated rules.

i am seriously a rulebook junkie. sometimes they are better than the games themselves.

Daigoro

ok been doing some reading up and im convinced that i need to own Arkham Horror ASAP. it looks too damn fun.

hopefully this will inspire me to drag some friends over to play with me at some point. October is coming soon, a good month for a gothic horror board game.

thanks for the thread and the inspiration Astro!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
been downloading a ton of ipad boardgames, either to try out and see which ones gain favour for a proper purchase, or just as an alternative to play with the family.

-Blokus
-Tsuro (pathology on app store)
- samurai
- Quoridor
- Gobblet (stack'em on app store)
- milles borne (milliarium on app store)

Tried to buy Zooloretto but couldn't find it.

already had
- carcassonne (fantastic)
- Catan (not really feeling it but will try again, seems a good conversion at least)
- honey thats mine (hey thats my fish clone)
- boggle (great on ipad)
- scrabble

Any others stand out as recommended? How about

- small world
- Pentago

Brashnir

Daigoro said:
edit: ooh looking at that store Astro posted up to buy games at, there is a Space Hulk co-op card game that was supposed to be released this summer. that sounds cool. i love Space Hulk.

The game got delayed. I'm still waiting for a new release date.

Daigoro said:
great thread. i never have time to play boardgames with friends anymore. it sucks!

man i remember the good old days of Axis and Allies. Games Workshop has some awesome games as well, like Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, and Warhammer Quest.

i have a ton of stuff sitting around not being used. i need to get a game night together.

some of these look like cool pick up and play type games. i should check out Carrasone or Settlers of Catan.

edit 2: Arkham Horror looks like the best game ever. seems like my kind of game. i love gothic horror motif, and i fucking LOVE hefty and complicated rules.

i am seriously a rulebook junkie. sometimes they are better than the games themselves.

Might want to check out the new edition of Horus Heresy that Fantasy Flight put out.

StoOgE

Hmm.. Say anything looks like a better version of Apples to Apples.

Might have to check it out.

StoOgE

mrklaw said:
- small world

I actually *like* small world (a rarity for BGG posters) and think the ipad game would be horrible. It is only the two player game. The two player game is rather pointless IMO. You need 4 of 5 players for that game to have any fun at all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Played 4 player Wasabi last night. It's kinda like a competitive match 3 game. It was quick paced and certainly not offensive, but it wasn't really enjoyable either. With 2 players the board is too vacant (like, say, 2 player USA Ticket to Ride) that it's basically impossible to screw over your opponent. With 4 players the board is too crowded, and it's basically impossible to do anything but focus on trying to eke out your recipes.

In laughably bad 1980s throwbacks, I also played Star Trek The Next Generation the VHS Game. It's a totally skillless sugoroku variant; Move around the enterprise by dice roll, if you happen to land at the right place draw a card, if you happen to get the right card take a chip, if you happen to get all the chips go to the bridge and draw a token, if the token is a winning token you win. The awful and comical interruptions from the VHS component (we played on an XviD ripped DVD copy since no one owns a VHS anymore) made it fun.

Had planned to play RFTG but ran out of time. Yes, I know, the priorities there are pretty messed up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stumpokapow said:
In laughably bad 1980s throwbacks, I also played Star Trek The Next Generation the VHS Game. It's a totally skillless sugoroku variant; Move around the enterprise by dice roll, if you happen to land at the right place draw a card, if you happen to get the right card take a chip, if you happen to get all the chips go to the bridge and draw a token, if the token is a winning token you win. The awful and comical interruptions from the VHS component (we played on an XviD ripped DVD copy since no one owns a VHS anymore) made it fun.
Bahaha. We may need more impressions of horrible games. Unfortunately I put all my horrible games away in storage.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Breaking out the long-forgotten recent release Snow Tails this weekend. I snagged this when it came out and then didn't play it, like a shameful gaming-sider. Anyway, at least it's pretty.

pic453517_md.jpg

Looks like the racing game from hell.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Formula D is the racing game from hell. Snow Tails is much lighter and quicker. Nothing comes close to Robo Rally, though it's not track racing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
mrklaw said:
Any others stand out as recommended?
Just from an iPod perspective, check out Tichu, which is a very fun 4P trick-taking(ish) game. No online but even playing with AI is fairly fun and it's a great way to pick up the strategy of the game. Samurai is solid too. Not as popular on GAF as Carc, but we do have one GAF game going (online, whoo!). It's a Knizia tile-laying game that's fairly simple and quick, but also has some interesting strategic elements. I own Hive and have been told it's a good implementation but I just don't like Hive as a game so :p. That's about it for now; on the horizon for me is Neuroshima Hex, which I actually just recently learned in tabletop form. The implementation looks really nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6P91tqGdRY

One thing I would beg beg beg is for devs to really try to put in online play. Carc has blown up the spot because it has online play and a really nice interface. Tichu would be great with online play too. For me Carc has set the bar in terms of what I really want from an iPhone board game.

Neverfade

Anyone been keeping up with 51st State? I'm fucking salivating at the mouth to get this damn game. It's another multi-purpose-card card game. Check out the BGG pade. The developer has some preview posts explaining some mechanics. Although his english is not super fluent, it's enough to understand and get my hype train churnin' some love butter. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Actually going off Stooge's idea, I'd like to throw out an invitation to BattleMonkey, neverfade, and all the other Ameritrashers that frequent this thread to do a section on AT-type games for the OP. Pretty underrepresented, apart from AH, and I just don't have the expertise.

Just an invitation!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Up to you guys. Ameritrash is certainly a current omission in the OP. I know minis had/have their own thread but don't know about the status, though I'm happy to include if you'd like. (Although probably no point if there's an active thread already.)

Well I created a mini games thread but thats been dormant for almost 5 months now, figured you guys didn't want the board game thread filled with mini game stuff though there is some crossover I think.

I can create a miniatures game OP add on if you want, I have most experience in that really over board gaming (wife and I plan on trying to open a game store in the future), but wasn't sure if you guys wanted that stuff to be in the board gaming thread.

eznark

Banned
Thinking of picking up Ticket to Ride. Should I get the 1910 USA expansion right away? You guys were saying something about card size?

eznark said:
Thinking of picking up Ticket to Ride. Should I get the 1910 USA expansion right away? You guys were saying something about card size?
Get the 1910 expansion if for nothing else but to have bigger cards. The cards that come in the base game are ridiculously tiny.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
eznark said:

If you've never played the base game before, no reason to buy an expansion day one. You can get plenty of mileage out of the base. But if you've played the base game, IMO the 1910 variants are all more enjoyable.

The card size thing makes it preferable to play with 1910 but it's really not a deal-breaker.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stump is right that as a rule you don't want to get expansions immediately.

I will say that for 1910 though:
-As joey mentioned, the bigger cards are just better to play with. The little cards are way fiddly. Cute, but fiddly.
-1910 has better routes, but you won't really appreciate this straight out of the gate.
-1910 has a Globetrotter bonus instead of Longest Road, which rewards you for most tickets completed, which in my experience is more fun. Of course you can just call your Longest Road card Globetrotter for certain games and you've settled that problem.

But we played with base for about a year before getting 1910 so it's up to you if the extra money is worth it straightaway for what I consider a better (if not hugely better) experience.

Evlar

Banned
Base TtR is broken, in my opinion, and while you may not realize that it's screwing you, it is, even in your first few playthroughs. 1910 is an essential balance fix for a few excessive route rewards.

eznark

Banned
I think the 1910 expansion is like $20. I'm not particularly worried about that if it means a significantly better experience. After playing it on XBLA I'm sure I will enjoy the game, so I'm not concerned about spending the money.

StoOgE

eznark said:
I think the 1910 expansion is like $20. I'm not particularly worried about that if it means a significantly better experience. After playing it on XBLA I'm sure I will enjoy the game, so I'm not concerned about spending the money.

It's worth it to me for full sized cards.

I played the base game twice before I bought the expansion and find it to be a much better experience. The base game has little tiny cards that I can barely hold in my hand.

The routes and whatnot are also better in 1910, though you won't really appreciate that right away.

The problem with the base game is it is very easy to get 2-3 routes that share the same track. So you can have Houston to Dallas and Houston to Chicago in your hand and by just finishing a single track you get credit for two. It also forces the game into certain cooridoors that 1910 balances better leading to more cross country and East/West routes than you get with the base game.

It's really up to you, but I had a similar opinion. For 20 bucks if it makes the base game better and easier to play it's worth it. I think the price of cards alone is worth the extra scratch, but really it's your call.

Typically I would say play the base game, then worry about expansion. But 1910 is less an expansion than it is a patch for the base game.

eznark said:

Just buy the euro version that comes with big cards by default

StoOgE

So, I got my copies of Lost City and Battle Line in today :D

Lost City is a German printing from 1999 that the seller didn't disclose :/ He said it was the Kosmos edition, and I guess I should have caught that, but when you are selling a foreign language version of the game, you should really point that out pretty clearly seeing as how their were English language editions available for the same price :/

In any case, it is a text free game and I found a rule sheet on BGG so all is well.

I think I understand where the push your luck mechanic is. If you play 3 multiplier cards you can theoretically get a killer score. But if the round ends before you are able to play more than 20 points worth of point cards you could get a huge negative score for that round. Interesting mechanic. Especially since you are forced to use increasing numbers.. so if you have a 7 in your hand you can play it for more points, but it makes your 3, 4 and 5 worthless and makes getting a card in your hand you can play less likely.

I think I'll rather like this game.

Haven't gotten into Battle Line at all yet, but I know it is more directly competitive. I'll figure it out tonight.

StoOgE

Neverfade said:
Yay, I'm helping!

Awesome work, now the thread isn't completely biased against Ameritrash.

FWIW, I'm thinking of buying Game of Thrones. I love the books and am going to be hosting watch parties for the show next year. So it will be a fun thing to play before the show starts.

House Rule in effect: I am always the Starks, and if the Lannisters win I will actually kill the player.

Flynn

Nice addition, Neverfade.

I have I idea: Names to Know in Boardgaming -- basically a way to familiarize newcomers with well known board game creators.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Anyone use Wargameroom for online 1960 or Twilight Struggle? I'd be interested in giving it a shot with some GAF folk.

mjbk1y.jpg

2jfzpn9.jpg

StoOgE

Here is a nice list:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/58589/how-many-players-play-this-2010-edition

Basically breaks down the top ranked games on BGG by the number of players they are best played with, the number of players they work decently well with and the complexity of the game itself.

It's a good guide to find a game to check out for your group. i.e. "I have 3 friends coming over who like light games". Find a 4 player game in the light category.

StoOgE

XiaNaphryz said:
Anyone use Wargameroom for online 1960 or Twilight Struggle? I'd be interested in giving it a shot with some GAF folk.

I have never played either game, but would like to check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom