• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up Dominion, Last Night On Earth: The Survival Of The Fittest, Space Hulk: Death Angel, Carcassonne and Castle Ravenloft.

I went a little nuts in celebration on my new job/birthday, oh well!

dogbert

Neverfade said:
Yeah, absolutely. I could stand finding other methods of trade if I had to. What numbnuts was running this thing and though it was ok to pair that off?

There's no "numbuts" running it - it's purely item for item based on people's wants. He messed up by putting an item with a lot of value in it & only wanting items of much lesser value. With math trades, you'll almost always get the "least" value swap as that maximises trade chains. It's his own fault.

In other situtations like this, a deal is usually made between the people in that particular trade chain to resolve the situation.

For me, the math trade worked out okay. I'm trading away Blackbeard & Restaurant Row for Perikles & Pillars of the Earth Duel. I'd hoped to trade away Forbidden Island too, but no joy; lots of people interested, but nothing worked out.

Still, BGG.Con mathtrade coming up.

Captain_Spanky said:
Just picked up Dominion, Last Night On Earth: The Survival Of The Fittest, Space Hulk: Death Angel, Carcassonne and Castle Ravenloft.

I went a little nuts in celebration on my new job/birthday, oh well!
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the Space Hulk card game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
dogbert said:
Forbidden Island too, but no joy; lots of people interested, but nothing worked out.

We might be able to work something out if you want to get rid of it still.

StoOgE

Neverfade said:
apparently not.

he listed the 5 items as a single lot instead of listing them separately.

This basically works with a system of

1) You put items up for trade
2) You then say what items you would trade that item for.
3) System then maximizes the number of trades.

Basically the guy did this:
"I will trade these 5 games as a single item"
"I will trade this lot of games for any of these items"

:several days later:

RAGE, WHY DID I GET THE ITEM I TOLD THE SYSTEM I WOULD TAKE INSTEAD OF 5 ITEMS?!?

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the Space Hulk card game.

Will let you know when it arrives, apparently FFG sold out of their stock very quickly so mine got held up in the post, will let you know as soon as it arrives and I can give it a few plays.

eznark

Banned
I want 1960 so bad. Working our way up to it I hope.

I went to Borders today to see if they had Ticket to Ride and they didn't, however they did have Forbidden Island. It's only $15 so I'll probably go back and pick it up. Any personal experience?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
eznark said:

I went to Borders today to see if they had Ticket to Ride and they didn't, however they did have Forbidden Island. It's only $15 so I'll probably go back and pick it up. Any personal experience?
Per the OP, I like it. It's a super-simple co-op game.

dogbert

AstroLad said:
Per the OP, I like it. It's a super-simple co-op game.

Yeah, Forbidden Island isn't complicated and works nicely. It's Pandemic stripped down to tiles. The art + tokens are gorgeous.

StoOgE

eznark said:

Have you looked at coolstuffinc.com?

For cheaper games B&M is almost as cheap.

But for more expensive games you can easily save 40% on the cost. I know TTR goes for 50 dollars B&M and 35 online. Plus no taxes if you aren't in Florida. I would suggest holding off for a few weeks and saving up for a larger 3-4 game order. If you spend 100 dollars you get free shipping and can get 3-4 games for the same price as 2 games at a B&M store.

eznark

Banned
dogbert said:
Yeah, Forbidden Island isn't complicated and works nicely. It's Pandemic stripped down to tiles. The art + tokens are gorgeous.

Cool, I will definitely pick that up.

TtR is pretty much the reason I'm doing any sort of "bargain" shopping. I don't care that these games seem a little pricey, but when there are $15-20 differences between them in a store v. online well then I start to feel stupid for impulse buying. With the Prime free shipping Amazon seems like the best way to go right now. Plus, our plan is sort of to buy 1 new game a month and have a cliched dedicated night to play each week. With football season upon us, my wife is glad to get me to herself for a night and doesn't particularly mind the cost. And without that governor, I am free to buy all the boardgaming crap I want!

Played me some Dungeon Lords tonight. I won, and had easily my best performance ever (23 points, only 2 tiles conquered by the meddling adventurers).

The room that let's you decrease your evil is way more powerful than I ever would have suspected (it was the only room for me that round because some other jerk stole the one I wanted). I kept deciding whether or not to use it each round based purely on the adventurer selection. I had the wimpiest parties of adventurers ever, and they were so hand tailored to the monsters/traps/rooms I had. Year 2 I had an anti-magic room and anti-magic dart, so I loaded up on wizards intentionally, figuring I'd take them out before they could use a spell. The dragon helped with that :-D

platypotamus said:
Played me some Dungeon Lords tonight. I won, and had easily my best performance ever (23 points, only 2 tiles conquered by the meddling adventurers).

The room that let's you decrease your evil is way more powerful than I ever would have suspected (it was the only room for me that round because some other jerk stole the one I wanted). I kept deciding whether or not to use it each round based purely on the adventurer selection. I had the wimpiest parties of adventurers ever, and they were so hand tailored to the monsters/traps/rooms I had. Year 2 I had an anti-magic room and anti-magic dart, so I loaded up on wizards intentionally, figuring I'd take them out before they could use a spell. The dragon helped with that :-D

I find all the rooms can have a use if you can form a strategy around them. Great game.

Xater

AstroLad said:
There was a lot of interest in dungeon crawls earlier, and as luck would have it the new Board Games With Scott is on that very topic, covering Descent, Dungeonquest, Castle Ravenloft and others: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rgaDCia9Hk

Scott is so dorky :lol

I just watched this toda and Castle Raveloft looks totally up my alley. From what I looked up the rules are also not too complicated. Does anyone have experience with how long it takes to play?

StoOgE

Xater said:
I just watched this toda and Castle Raveloft looks totally up my alley. From what I looked up the rules are also not too complicated. Does anyone have experience with how long it takes to play?

BGG says about 60 minutes which means probably 45-90 minutes depending on your group and double that for you first couple of plays until you have the rules down pat.

So anyway I'm a board game newbie here who is looking to learn how to play Puerto Rico. Is there like a "for dummies" guide or something like that to help me learn the game? Also is there any way to play online?

KingHenrik30 said:
So anyway I'm a board game newbie here who is looking to learn how to play Puerto Rico. Is there like a "for dummies" guide or something like that to help me learn the game? Also is there any way to play online?
Check out this episode of Boardgames with Scott. It's a great intro to the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1NY3avotc

Also check out the rules board at bgg to clear up any rules you think may be confusing.
http://geekdo.com/forum/222/puerto-rico/rules

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Played 6 games of Back to the Future last night, all two player.

Negative impressions forthcoming.

Overview of Chrononauts and Back to the Future
The basic premise of both Chrononauts and BTTF is that you have a timeline which consists of "lynchpin" events (IE major events) and "ripplepoint" events (IE minor events). You can flip lynchpin events, and flipping them causes ripplepoint events to in turn flip. It's a pretty simple mechanic. In Chrononauts, flipped ripplepoint events cause paradoxes in the space time continuum which must in turn be "patched" by playing patch cards. In BTTF, flipped ripplepoint events just because alternate timeline stories (George McFly punches Biff versus George McFly chickens out from punching Biff).

In Chrononauts, there are three ways to win. 1) Change the timeline to match your character card. 2) Play a specific set of items. 3) Draw up to 10 cards; you increase your hand size by patching paradoxes, even if those specific patches don't help you match the timeline on your character card. In BTTF, there is one way to win. 1) Change the timeline to match your character card.

In BTTF, each player must flip two specific events to alter history, and keep one event on the timeline the same as it is now. This is also true in Chrononauts, but in Chrononauts you also need to patch the paradoxes, so the actual process from start to end-game is much longer. In BTTF, it's theoretically possible to complete your objective by the end of your second turn.

To compensate for this, BTTF introduces a random mechanic. After completing your objectives, you must stop Doc Brown from inventing Time Travel. To do this, you flip the lynchpin that corresponds to him inventing Time Travel. Unlike every other timeline event, this event has 5 copies of the card in a stack. 4 of these copies flip to reveal "Mysterious forces have prevented you from stopping Doc Brown". As a result, there's this end game phase where you're just flipping that lynchpin up to 5 times until you find the legitimate "Doc Brown doesn't invent time travel" card.

Both games consist of Inverters (flip lynchpins), Items (some have functionality, some don't), Action cards (look through the discard pile, steal item, discard opponent's item, switch hands, look through the draw pile, draw extra cards, interrupt and cancel an opponent's move, etc). There are a few other types of cards in both games but these are the main kinds you need to know.

Why BTTF doesn't really work
In Chrononauts, the deck is stacked with a variety of Inverters. These inverters let you flip either any lynchpin card, or in some cases only certain lynchpin cards. All inverters work on their own and do not require any outside cards. This might seem overpowered, but because you also need specific patch cards to fix paradoxes, inverters themselves aren't really powerful cards.

In BTTF, you flip lynchpin cards using time machines (DeLorean, Time Train, etc). All time machines let you flip any lynchpin, but each time machine has different requirements. One requires you to play a specific item card. One requires you to discard any card to play it. Several have no requirements. There are also non time-machine inverter cards which allow you to flip one specific lynchpin and optionally a lynchpin of your choice if you have played a specific item. One example would be "Flip Lynchpin D-3, and if you have the Futuristic Clothing item, flip any lynchpin of your choice". Any card that requires an item requires you to discard the item after use. This creates a HUGE power gulf; cards like Time Car v3 (Flip any lynchpin at no cost, draw a card) or Time Train (Flip any lynchpin at no cost, play an extra card) are so much more powerful than Time Car v1 (Flip any lynchpin, requires you to have either a crate of plutonium, or a vial of plutonium, both of which there's only one of in the deck) or the specific lynchpin inverters.

Here's where we ran into trouble. There are a TON of cards in the deck that either let you look through the draw deck and play an arbitrary card or look through the discard pile and play an arbitrary card.

Draw Rewind -> Use rewind to fish Time Car v3 (Flip any lynchpin at no cost, draw a card) out of discard pile -> Flip lynchpin. Draw Quick Trip -> Use Quick Trip to fish Time Train (Flip any lynchpin at no cost, play an additional card) out of draw pile -> Flip lynchpin.

As a result, the game isn't about drawing or collecting useful time machine or inverter cards, it's about drawing Quick Trip to look through the draw pile, and then repeatedly drawing some of the many Rewind cards to re-play that same Time Machine out of the discard pile again and again. Items are useless. Other time machines are useless. In four of our six games, we ended up devolving into repeatedly doing this.

Easy wins / Gridlock attrition
Here's the optimal strategy for BTTF
1) Double draw until you've got a time machine card that can flip any inverter without use of external items.
2) Play that time machine card and flip your first needed lynchpin
3) Double draw until you get rewind
4) Play that time machine card out of the graveyard and flip your second needed lynchpin
5) Double draw until you get rewind
6) Play that time machine card out of the graveyard and flip the un-invent time travel lynchpin.
7) Repeat until you flip that lynchpin successfully.

It is possible to execute all of this in three turns. It took me five turns to win the first game.

In our impressions from last night, there are two possible game trajectories. The first is that if the two players have missions that don't overlap, both players just independently do their business with no opportunity for competitive play. The cost of screwing another player is far too great to do it intentionally in this situation, you're better off trying to win for yourself.

The second game trajectory is that if both players share a mission objective (say, I want <timeline card x> flipped to one side and she wants <timeline card x> flipped to the other side), the game is just pure attrition. You draw until you can undo what the other player did. They draw until they can undo what you did. As noted above, often times you're able to do this with every draw, so each subsequent turn is just do->undo->do->undo->do->undo. There's even a few cards that directly say "If the player before you changed the timeline, you may flip any lynchpin". They might as well call that card "Undo the last turn", but that's the net effect.

Psychology
In Chrononauts, it's pretty easy to suss out two of the three victory conditions. Items are not particularly useful unless you're going for an item victory, and in fact playing them frequently ends up helping opponents, so someone who plays a few items is probably building towards an item victory. Also, all of the item victory conditions are themed (play three dinosaur items, play three mona lisa items, play three religious artifacts) so anyone who has played more than once can basically tell if someone is just playing benign items or actually satisfying item victory conditions.

Winning by drawing ten cards is also relatively simple. Is the person playing whatever patch cards they can and not really making any effort to otherwise manipulate the timeline? Consider using a "switch hands" card to knock 'em down a peg.

There's at least some limited opportunity to use your turns to try to stop someone else. In BTTF, the only way to "stop" someone is just to undo the lynchpin flip they just did. There are almost no conditions where this is a better move than flipping one of the lynchpins you need flipped, so thre's almost no opportunity to try to thwart your opponent. As a result, direct clash only happens when you have a muturally shared objective, which as I mentioned above creates a gridlock situation.

Theme / Production
The cards look great, the iconography is clearer than with Chrononauts, and the idea of using BTTF for this type of game is excellent. The fact that they didn't license the DeLorean and half the events end up being bizarro fan fiction spinoffs of BTTF is not cool. So no complaints about the production at all, but the theme really isn't well used.

The game might serve as a good bridge to Chrononauts for non-gamers who are turned off by Chrononauts' real world history theme but like something based on a movie, but otherwise I think it's just not as good of a game. For the $15-20 that it'll cost you, you probably won't feel robbed, but this is not a game with longevity and fans would definitely get more mileage out of Chrononauts, particularly with the expansions.

We didn't play 3 or 4 player. My impression is that more players would mitigate many of the issues I mention but they'd simultaneously make the game devolve into randomness. It's difficult to imagine what a "deep" strategy for BTTF would be. Chrononauts is not particularly deep, but the three separate victory conditions allows for a few decisions in terms of your priorities. In BTTF, I didn't once feel like I was having to make a tough decision between two move choices. :/

shas'la

I'm really trying to wrap my head around the new space hulk card game, fookin' fantasy flight rules are always annoyingly written.. Is there a rules summary or video online somewhere?

KingHenrik30 said:

www.tropiceuro.com has a pretty much identical clone of Puerto Rico. Change machinery into colonists, and the names of some of the crops, and you've got it. AI or multiplayer.

I'm trying to put up a new order so I could use some recommendations, will get no matter what:

- TtR Nordic Countries
- Stone Age (for a friend)

Might get:

- Mr Jack
- Fearsome Floors
- Cyclades
- Forbidden Island
- Carc. Cult, Siege & Creativity
- Small World expansions (I've barely played the base game but they seem to go OOP rather quickly)

I feel like my collection is missing a game with a less abstact goals (no VP ideally) and more confrontational. Any recommendations?

StoOgE said:
BGG says about 60 minutes which means probably 45-90 minutes depending on your group and double that for you first couple of plays until you have the rules down pat.

That's actually not really true. The game is incredibly streamlined, the only problem I can see from BGG is people actually over think things and expect it to be more complicated than it is. Everything is self explanatory, leaving most of the game free for strategising with your friends rather than wrestling over rules. And it's still over in 60 minutes. It's a brilliant wee game, very smartly designed to give a full dungeon experience in a small amount of time. I'd recommend it for anyone that enjoys the genre.

Played rune wars for the first time yesterday. Very fun game.

It took about an hour's worth of explanation from someone who already knew the game too newcomers (which includes me), but once the game actually started I could see the merit in the game. It's complex when being explained, but once you've learned it, all the rules stay sunk in.

All in all the game is well worth being played. It was a bit reminiscent of all those games where you choose one of several phases to perform an action (puerto rico, race for the galaxy) except, over a turn, for phases occur and you can't use the same cards twice. You're trying to conquer land, manage quests, build your army, fortify your positions and much more. Your race determines how will play your game, with some races being centred on military, some on influence, and some a mix.

Can't really explain it all here, so in the end, just a very fun game that's worth playing when you have a free saturday.

Xater

Captain_Spanky said:
That's actually not really true. The game is incredibly streamlined, the only problem I can see from BGG is people actually over think things and expect it to be more complicated than it is. Everything is self explanatory, leaving most of the game free for strategising with your friends rather than wrestling over rules. And it's still over in 60 minutes. It's a brilliant wee game, very smartly designed to give a full dungeon experience in a small amount of time. I'd recommend it for anyone that enjoys the genre.

Yeah that sounds perfect for me. I actually would love to play some Pen&Paper but I would not find anyone to play it with me. This will be a nice comprimise. 60 minutes is also a good time. Means that on a boardgame night there is still enough time to paly something else.

Neverfade

BomberMouse said:
I'm trying to put up a new order so I could use some recommendations, will get no matter what:

- TtR Nordic Countries

Might get:

- Mr Jack
- Fearsome Floors
- Cyclades
- Forbidden Island
- Small World expansions (I've barely played the base game but they seem to go OOP rather quickly)

I feel like my collection is missing a game with a less abstact goals (no VP ideally) and more confrontational. Any recommendations?

Cyclades I can vouch for. Played it last week despite being very skeptical and came away really liking it. It's in my latest order as you can see a bit above. No VP and very confrontational. You'd have to go out of your way to win without some sort of a fight. The map isn't huge and through the mechanics of winning, the island just become more and more enticing to try and take over. The bidding is even confrontational with lots of knocking each other off the bid track the other person really wants.

Earthstrike said:
Played rune wars for the first time yesterday. Very fun game.

Nice. I have to agree that the biggest downside to Runewars is that is has a lot of rules that will take you forever to explain. Luckily, now that we have it down we can knock a 2 player game out in 90 minutes and a 4 player game in a little over 2 ho urs.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Played the intro solo adventure for castle raven loft a couple of times today. Overall I really enjoy the game, but playing solo isn't terribly rewarding since there isn't much of a story element within each adventure. There is a much longer solo quest that looks more interesting though. Playing multiple characters should bring in more tactical flexibility.

The game is really stripped down. Combat and movement is pretty simile, about the only difficulty comes from keeping the sequence of events clear, as certain encounter cards can really change things up and alter monster behavior. But each character is pretty unique, the quests are varied (almost all of the numerous tokens and chits are used for specific things on only certain quests, making the game appear more complicated than it really is when unboxing), and the possibilities for expansions are virtually limitless. I'd say this game is easier than Last Night on Earth to teach, and like that game, most of the fiddly bits are optional or only for certain missions.

And hooray, all the components easily fit back in the box!

So I think this is should be a fun game, looking forward to playing with the wife and springing it on my game group. The short play time and easy rule set means we should get through 1-2 games in an evening.

Now, how to paint a translucent blue flaming skeleton.....

Definitely going to get the other game like this, everything should mix and match.

StoOgE

Had a *great* game of Power Grid today.

One of my friends was running away with the game and was about to finish everyone off with her 17th city. We were in the raw materials part of the game when I realized she had only been buying the materials she needed to fire off her plant every turn. So I bought all of the remaining coal (I had two 3 coal plants so I could store up to 12!). So she couldn't build the 17th city since she couldn't power more than 10. After a few turns she figured out I was never going to let her get enough coal to do anything and dumped her plant to switch to a nuke plant that powered 4 instead of 7 and was effectively hosed until the next turn.

This caused the 3rd phase to be triggered which opened the map back up (I was locked up since I was either in a city or it had 2 plants in it already). I got ahold of the 50 point plant the next turn, bought up a shitload of cities and pulled out a massive come from behind victory.

So remember kids: cover your ass with both hands in Power Grid. :lol

Also played my first game of Lost Cities. It is a lot of fun. It is really light and my friend and I both complained while playing that the game was too simple. Yet we couldn't stop playing it. It has really simple mechanics, but the press your luck mechanic is brilliant. If you are too conservative - you lose. If you are too aggressive - you lose spectacularly.

We played several 3 round games and basically went super conservative the first two rounds and then both went balls out in the last. It was a ton of fun and is a great pub game or just light game when you have some time to kill.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
StoOgE said:
Also played my first game of Lost Cities. It is a lot of fun. It is really light and my friend and I both complained while playing that the game was too simple. Yet we couldn't stop playing it. It has really simple mechanics, but the press your luck mechanic is brilliant. If you are too conservative - you lose. If you are too aggressive - you lose spectacularly.

We played several 3 round games and basically went super conservative the first two rounds and then both went balls out in the last. It was a ton of fun and is a great pub game or just light game when you have some time to kill.

I find that in LC, there's generally one player who is trying to make sure the game doesn't end any time soon, and there's one player who is trying to end the game as soon as possible! The tension of the timing is always great, because the two or three more turns can REALLY switch things up!

StoOgE

Buying a copy of Mall of Horror for 50 dollars (shipping included).

Probably more than I should be paying for a single game, but the publisher has said no reprint is coming and I really had a blast when I tried it out. Plus it is a very different sort of game.

So I made an impulse buy today. I broke down and purchased Incursion. I've been wanting to get the game for a long time and the deal from Grindhouse games was too good to pass up.

I went with "Stupid Good Deal # 2". Basically it's the boxed copy of the game plus a couple of minis for $30.
http://www.incursiongame.com/products/stupid-good-deal-2#feature

The other deal isn't too bad as well I just can't afford it. The other deal is a complete set of minis plus the game for $100.
http://www.incursiongame.com/products/stupid-good-deal-1#feature

From what I've read Incursion plays alot like Space Hulk but with a Nazi Zombie theme.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
So I made an impulse buy today. I broke down and purchased Incursion. I've been wanting to get the game for a long time and the deal from Grindhouse games was too good to pass up.

I went with "Stupid Good Deal # 2". Basically it's the boxed copy of the game plus a couple of minis for $30.
http://www.incursiongame.com/products/stupid-good-deal-2#feature

The other deal isn't too bad as well I just can't afford it. The other deal is a complete set of minis plus the game for $100.
http://www.incursiongame.com/products/stupid-good-deal-1#feature

From what I've read Incursion plays alot like Space Hulk but with a Nazi Zombie theme.

The minis they make for that game are godlike. I can't paint, but some people on BGG have put up some damn impressive stuff.

Incursion's a good game and cool figs. The production values on the board game set is kinda iffy. Be careful taking out tokens and other die cut stuff. Lot of it will peel off when punching them out so you might want to use an exacto blade or razor to help cut them out.

Gameplay copies alot from Space Hulk and they originally going to cancel the release of it when the Space Hulk 3rd edition was announced, but they got enough support and sold out of the first print run even.

The main difference is forces are not set in the game, you use points to build each sides selection of figures. The board looks great if you get a full set of miniatures on it and painted up, and also they have resin sets of objectives you can buy online to further make it look fancy.

I'm probably going to pick up the british forces deal which were added as a free "expansion" to the game on their site.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Some quick highlights from our weekend:

Played Snow Tails as promised. Fun racing game. Only three of us playing -- bit low for a racing game certainly -- but it still worked. Simpler and dare I say better than Formula D, at least for our group. Will break it out for sure when we have 4-5.

Dove all in with Neuroshima Hex. Played about 10 games vs. the CPU on the iPhone version and then two tabletop games with my wife. I can understand why it's pretty highly regarded on BGG. Simple but deep mechanics and a great emphasis on tactical play.

Askani

I got to try my first Dominion last night. We played the basic game and had tons of fun with it. I was actually surprised at how good it was. Can't wait to play it again...hopefully tonight. There's definitely more we can get out of this game, but we're already talking about expansions.

I feel like such a noob coming in here and talking about the games you guys have been playing for awhile now. :lol

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Researching what game I want to have next. Maybe Small World. Maybe Puerto Rico. Maybe Tigress and Euphrates. And I still want Carcassonne. Oh choices. I guess too many is better than none at all. :D

StoOgE

Askani said:
I got to try my first Dominion last night. We played the basic game and had tons of fun with it. I was actually surprised at how good it was. Can't wait to play it again...hopefully tonight. There's definitely more we can get out of this game, but we're already talking about expansions.

I feel like such a noob coming in here and talking about the games you guys have been playing for awhile now. :lol

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Researching what game I want to have next. Maybe Small World. Maybe Puerto Rico. Maybe Tigress and Euphrates. And I still want Carcassonne. Oh choices. I guess too many is better than none at all. :D

Puerto Rico is one of my favorite games, but you should be forewarned: Dominion is an elegant streamlined game with a minimal rule set. Puerto Rico is not. You will spend your first few games fumbling over the rules, it is inevitable.

That said, the game itself is one of the most rewarding out there. And sadly one I don't get to play all that often.

Tigress and Euphrates is not dissimilar from what I have heard.

Just want to give everyone fair warning, that second tier of games on Astrolads list really are a jump up in terms of complexity (and in most cases how rewarding they are).

Also, Power Grid. Buy it. Love it :D

StoOgE

Oh Snap.

Power Grid: Japan/Russia is being unveiled as Essen this year with an October release :D

Although, that means I'm all out of room for Power Grid because the Brazil/Spain box only had enough room for the current expansions +1.

Askani said:

I've played all 4 of these. The choice really comes down to what you think your group will like.

Small World is the most "fluff"-y of the games you've got listed. It's relatively straight forward, simple, and heavy on flavor.

Tigris and Euphrates is the most complex game you've got there. I'd say it's also probably the most cutthroat. That's a tough call to make, because you've seemed to deliberately choose really cutthroat games, but when you get a complex four-way conflict happening in T&E, it can get pretty intense.

Carcasonne is really great, and I think probably works best at various numbers of players out of your various games... fun with just two, works well with more. I don't think Puerto Rico or T&E can even be played with two.

Puerto Rico is back at #1 on bgg. That pretty much says what needs to be said about it.

StoOgE

There is a two player variant of Puerto Rico out there, but I don't think it would work very well.

FWIW, Small World is a really shitty 2 player game as well.

Carcassonne is the only of the 3 games I've played that really lends itself well to various numbers of players.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BomberMouse said:

- TtR Nordic Countries

Might get:

- Mr Jack
- Fearsome Floors
- Cyclades
- Forbidden Island

Well just from this weekend I can definitely recommend Neuroshima Hex as a game with some great confrontation (it's only confrontation), though it is a bit on the abstract side gameplay wise (though not thematically).

StoOgE

Oh I also put in orders for Citadels and Forbidden Island while I was buying the 50 dollar CSI gift card in trade for Mall of Horror. I've played Citadels a few times and enjoy it. I've yet to play Forbidden Island, but I love Pandemic and a slightly simpler version will be nice to have as well.

StoOgE said:
There is a two player variant of Puerto Rico out there, but I don't think it would work very well.
It's not the most ideal way to play but if you want to play and don't have the numbers it's really not that bad.

You basically take out the multiples of buildings so you one of each type of buildings. You also get rid of one (or both?) prospector cards. Other than that it the players alternate taking roles until they are all taken up.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
It's not the most ideal way to play but if you want to play and don't have the numbers it's really not that bad.

You basically take out the multiples of buildings so you one of each type of buildings. You also get rid of one (or both?) prospector cards. Other than that it the players alternate taking roles until they are all taken up.

You dump both prospector cards in the 3 player game as well. Which is why I like the 3 and 4 player games the best. I hate those damn cards. They basically turn into a "well, fuck there are 6 doubloons on the damn thing, I guess someone should take it already"

Xater

Are some of you actually up for playing on BSW? I guess we could paly Dominion, but I would love to try out a full game of Pandemic to seehow much I like it.

eznark

Banned
Askani said:

You and I are in a very similar boat, my friend! My wife and I started with Carc and just got Dominion last week. So damn much fun. And yeah, my wish list immediately grew to 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom