• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
U CRAZY!!!
Besides, who can trust a card shuffler? That'll never give me the perfectly stacked hand that I need to win the game.

Edit: And JetBlackPanda, I'm not a Risk fan, so I neither know nor care about Risk: Legacy, but just in case you're interested, the game's designer Rob Daviau was on the excellent Three Moves Ahead podcast talking about the game. Here's a link if you're interested: http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2...d-episode-144-risky-business-with-rob-daviau/

Besides, who can trust a card shuffler? That'll never give me the perfectly stacked hand that I need to win the game.

Edit: And JetBlackPanda, I'm not a Risk fan, so I neither know nor care about Risk: Legacy, but just in case you're interested, the game's designer Rob Daviau was on the excellent Three Moves Ahead podcast talking about the game. Here's a link if you're interested: http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2...d-episode-144-risky-business-with-rob-daviau/

wow thanks man!

edit: did you listen are there spoilers for the game?

Slacker

Hey Guys I don't ever post in here but I probably should. I am a huge Risk fan and play 2210 all the time. I noticed a new game at the local store Risk Legacy Have anyone of you played this? It seems crazy that you put permanent stickers on the board. I am really intrigued but kind of freaked out about making permanent changes to the game board.

Got it for xmas but haven't had time to get a game night together to try it out yet. I've only heard really good things about it. Look at it this way: you're not damaging a finished product, but rather customizing the game for your group. After 15 plays you will have a Risk game uniquely crafted by you and your goober buddies. Sounds awesome to me. I'll post impressions once my group gets a few plays under our belts.

wow thanks man!

edit: did you listen are there spoilers for the game?
I did not listen. I plan to eventually, as I've listened to every episode of the podcast, but I'm weeks behind and the Risk episode ranks pretty low for me. However, I do enjoy hearing them talk about board games, so I'm sure it'll be a decent episode regardless.

They're more mechanics-oriented on the show, so I doubt they'll really mention anything that will spoil anything in a narrative sense.

Hey Guys I don't ever post in here but I probably should. I am a huge Risk fan and play 2210 all the time. I noticed a new game at the local store Risk Legacy Have anyone of you played this? It seems crazy that you put permanent stickers on the board. I am really intrigued but kind of freaked out about making permanent changes to the game board.

Risk Legacy is quite possibly the most fascinating concept to have hit gaming in like, forever d00d. Without any spoilers (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, because I have not played this game):

The idea is that the up to 5 players you start the game with, are the ONLY ones you can play this game with. Each game results in making permanent changes to the board, such as using a Sharpie to rename a country. Then from every game forward, that area gives the person that named it a permanent perk somehow. Games will go on doing things like this, adding stickers, ripping up cards, etc. Then there are major changes, such as envelopes that say "Open this after 5 games" which include rules that change how you play from that point forward, often huge major OMG type changes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just keep shuffling your cards and quit whining! I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but I like shuffling cards. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, back in the ol' days of Texas Hold 'Em being the go to game during its heyday, I always liked being the dealer after getting busted out.

the problem is the decks i referenced are too big. you're talking 150+ cards. shuffling a normal set i have no problem with but i have chosen other games over ascension and rftg just because i don't want the hassle of properly shuffling their big draw decks

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I feel like this thread and even the Carcassonne iOS thread have gotten crazy active the past few weeks. Holidays of course but also just seem to be tons of people getting into eurogaming in general, which is cool.

Quick let's do a startup and get in on the ground floor.

I feel like this thread and even the Carcassonne iOS thread have gotten crazy active the past few weeks. Holidays of course but also just seem to be tons of people getting into eurogaming in general, which is cool.

Quick let's do a startup and get in on the ground floor.
It's interesting to watch. They're overpriced there (full MSRP), but it's interesting to me that Target actually stocks Ticket to Ride and Catan now. It's surrounded by variants of Sorry and Monopoly, sure, but they're there.

It's interesting to watch. They're overpriced there (full MSRP), but it's interesting to me that Target actually stocks Ticket to Ride and Catan now. It's surrounded by variants of Sorry and Monopoly, sure, but they're there.
Honestly, there is no reason why Ticket to Ride shouldn't be doing Monopoly style business. It's pretty to look at, dead simple to play, and it has a theme people can understand.

Honestly, there is no reason why Ticket to Ride shouldn't be doing Monopoly style business. It's pretty to look at, dead simple to play, and it has a theme people can understand.
Well, at least in that light, there is one reason: Target sells Monopoly for $10 - $20 and it's a household name. They sell Ticket to Ride for $45.

Just keep shuffling your cards and quit whining! I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but I like shuffling cards. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, back in the ol' days of Texas Hold 'Em being the go to game during its heyday, I always liked being the dealer after getting busted out.
I feel the same way! I used to be a blackjack dealer and magician, so if anything, I overshuffle. I'm good at it.

Flynn

Risk Legacy is quite possibly the most fascinating concept to have hit gaming in like, forever d00d. Without any spoilers (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, because I have not played this game):

The idea is that the up to 5 players you start the game with, are the ONLY ones you can play this game with. Each game results in making permanent changes to the board, such as using a Sharpie to rename a country. Then from every game forward, that area gives the person that named it a permanent perk somehow. Games will go on doing things like this, adding stickers, ripping up cards, etc. Then there are major changes, such as envelopes that say "Open this after 5 games" which include rules that change how you play from that point forward, often huge major OMG type changes.

You don't HAVE to play with the same five players. Everybody's start position is chosen by turn order, so there's no guarantee you'll get, say, North America like you did in a prior game. So the changes you make the the board could very well benefit another player in the next game.

Switching out players won't be a huge problem. You'll want to play over and over, but substitutions won't break the game. In fact they could even make them more interesting / chaotic.

LProtag

Risk Legacy does seem pretty interesting. I think since my gaming group started by playing Risk a lot and then going "Hey, maybe there's some more fun board games out there?" it would be nice to pick up and run through the 15 games with the same people.

The price tag is a bit much though.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

My Target has those along with Dominion and weird enough, the Lord of the Rings LCG.

My Target has those along with Dominion and weird enough, the Lord of the Rings LCG.

Hell, my local Barnes and Nobles stocks a huge variety of Fantasy Flight games (amoung others). I've seen a resurgence of interest in board gaming which I think is due in large part to the increased quality of the sets over the past several years. It's pretty incredible when you think about board games from years ago. Good stuff!

Hmm now really interested in The New Era seeing as it's basically 51st State 2.0 . Seems like many don't recommend it as an expansion, and just a better game.

Reason is because DoW is small potatoes compared to Hasbro.

Neverfade

Hmm now really interested in The New Era seeing as it's basically 51st State 2.0 . Seems like many don't recommend it as an expansion, and just a better game.

Wait, is it stand alone? I really disliked 51st State's execution, but was super excited about the idea. I'd revisit it if it were cleaned up... a lot.

I would say the first two games you listed would probably rank as the best two games from 2011 I've played. I don't buy and play nearly as many titles as some of the guys here, though.

Know your audience. LOTR LCG can be played single-player but, in my humble opinion, it's vastly better as a two-player experience with co-operative deck building. Civilization is a good "building my own little kingdom" game but it's very long and works best with 3 or 4, so you need to have people available who can sustain their attention on a board game that long. Also, Civ is most emphatically NOT a wargame, despite the existence of maps, armies, and a military victory condition, so don't go in expecting that facet of the game to dominate.

I can't say anything useful about Macao.

We started off with Macao and found it really fun. It took a couple of days to get through the manual and iron out the rule set, but we've got it down pat now.

Everything you say about Civ is music to my ears as I prefer building up the other aspects of the game rather than work with combat.

LOTR is my noob way of playing something Magic-the-gathering-like and the gf looks like she's pretty interested in this as well so I can't wait for the co-op experience.

Thanks for the tips, Evlar.

I actually picked up Ticket to Ride as a last minute Christmas gift at Target. My family loves it. I'm going to have to pick up a copy for myself after New Years. Fun game.

I actually picked up Ticket to Ride as a last minute Christmas gift at Target. My family loves it. I'm going to have to pick up a copy for myself after New Years. Fun game.

Is it the USA version? If so, you might be interested in the 1910 expansion. It gives you different types of routes to work with and the real highlight is it gives you larger size cards so you don't have to fiddle with the tiny ones the game came with.

Wait, is it stand alone? I really disliked 51st State's execution, but was super excited about the idea. I'd revisit it if it were cleaned up... a lot.

Yup its stand alone, and has the original four faction cards, they just added a new faction and new cards. The game mechanics have been revised, new wooden counters for resources, a separate scoring sheet (not on the back of the box now), and rewritten rules. It sounds like it takes the original 51st State and treats that as an expansion to this new release and has rules on how to add 51st State cards to The New Era.

First game I liked, but it had lot of awkward design elements and horribad translated rules.

Yup its stand alone, and has the original four faction cards, they just added a new faction and new cards. The game mechanics have been revised, new wooden counters for resources, a separate scoring sheet (not on the back of the box now), and rewritten rules. It sounds like it takes the original 51st State and treats that as an expansion to this new release and has rules on how to add 51st State cards to The New Era.

First game I liked, but it had lot of awkward design elements and horribad translated rules.

I'll be cautiously optimistic, the first game just was not good.

MichaelBD

Played our first game of Game of Thrones: SE last night. We all went into it as a learning game and we actually got a 4p game done in just under 3 hours (though one guy did leave about 3/4s through).

Baratheon won, which according to BGG is the way it's supposed to be because he's overpowered in a 4p game. I had Lannister, which according to BGG is the weakest because of starting position, but I was close to winning at 6 cities.

The problem we had is there was little to no negotiation. I think that is the main thrust of the game. We should have been wheeling and dealing for support, etc. As it was it was two going at it in the north and two in the south and the south seems to have the greatest opportunities for expansion.

Two of us came away liking it and wanting to play again. The guy who left rated it an "eh." and the last player seemed to be on the fence. I think there are a lot of decisions to make which can make your brain hurt when you look at all the things you can do, especially if you have guys in the center.

I'm hoping to play again and I think it will actually be a pretty quick game (at least by FFG standards) once everyone knows what they are doing.

MichaelBD

We started off with Macao and found it really fun. It took a couple of days to get through the manual and iron out the rule set, but we've got it down pat now.

Everything you say about Civ is music to my ears as I prefer building up the other aspects of the game rather than work with combat.

LOTR is my noob way of playing something Magic-the-gathering-like and the gf looks like she's pretty interested in this as well so I can't wait for the co-op experience.

Thanks for the tips, Evlar.
Civ is a big hit with the group I play with. Never tried it with less than 3 players and most games end up close.

I have to stop coming into this thread. It just makes me want to buy more and more board games, and I already have enough trouble getting my group all together to play the few we currently have.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have to stop coming into this thread. It just makes me want to buy more and more board games, and I already have enough trouble getting my group all together to play the few we currently have.

You should try starting a game night or marrying someone who will play games with you. :p

Speaking of which, taught my wife BBTM last night and she really loved it. Like I was almost surprised by how much she loved it. She has excellent taste in that, like me, she really like the random craziness brought on by the die rolls and the cheating tokens.

Today's plan is to learn & play Rune Age.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Holy crap Martin Wallace just posted the Few Acres of Snow rules changes on BGG. Time to go print this out and fire up the game again. :D

Sorry for the delay in posting these rules changes. Part of the delay has been to allow time to test the changes.

The changes are:

1. Remove the French bateaux card from the initial deck and place it with the availble cards.

2. Reserve - you cannot place location cards in your reserve.

3. Raids - the raid distance is now two connections plus one connection for each additional card played (so playing two Native American cards would allow you to raid a location up to three connections away).

4. Home Support - you can only take cards from your draw deck, so if you had fewer than three cards available you would only be able to draw these. Consequently, the only time you shuffle your discard pile is when you need to refill your hand at the end of the turn and your draw deck is exhausted.

What I have realised in testing different versions of the game is that in itself is what could make the game retain long-term playability. Changing the rules is effectively the same as the changing card combinations in Dominion. What I am planning on doing is publishing varients on the Treefrog website. It's probably best to think of them as scenarios. Some of these will take the form of'what-ifs', allowing the game to diverge from published history.

Many thanks for your patience in waiting for an 'official' response. I am aware that this will not stop more posts being made by various persons, but that's the nature of the Geek, so no point in worrying about it.

Martin
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/743531/rules-changes-from-martin-wallace

gutshot

FFG sent me a copy of the new GoT board game and it looks cool as all hell, but I'm not sure if my gaming group would be into it. They are more into old-school games like Clue and Monopoly and, believe it or not, Fireball Island. Do you guys think they could pick up and enjoy playing GoT?

Neverfade

All of that sounds reasonable. No locations in reserve being the maybe one exception. That's definitely gonna change hand management. But the alternative is worse.

I'll be cautiously optimistic, the first game just was not good.

Found it to be a good game just with a messy rule system in large part to bad translations and awkward rulings. Even the creator trying to explain some of the rules in english have flown over peoples heads and just kind of made things worse. New Era clears up lot of the old rules and takes away some things that were ambiguous about it and made it more strict rules instead of just "assume this". Taking away leaders was a nice change as the mechanic was a crappy one that didn't make much sense. Visual design of cards also supposed to help without alot of the iconography confusion caused by the original.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FFG sent me a copy of the new GoT board game and it looks cool as all hell, but I'm not sure if my gaming group would be into it. They are more into old-school games like Clue and Monopoly and, believe it or not, Fireball Island. Do you guys think they could pick up and enjoy playing GoT?

GoT Board Game is a monumental step up in difficulty from those games. Unless they were seriously into GoT and thus had the patience to digest about 45m of rules explanations, I would not really recommend it as an entree into non-Monopoly board gaming. My personal fear would be scaring them off good games forever just because they got too intimidated by GoT. I would really prefer playing stuff like Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Catan, or Dominion with a group like that.

That said, like most FFG titles, if you dedicate a day to learning the game inside-out and even playing half of a test game against yourself, it can be taught and played less painfully. If you don't have the rules and mechanics down pat though, it will be a disaster.

gutshot

GoT Board Game is a monumental step up in difficulty from those games. Unless they were seriously into GoT and thus had the patience to digest about 45m of rules explanations, I would not really recommend it as an entree into non-Monopoly board gaming. My personal fear would be scaring them off good games forever just because they got too intimidated by GoT. I would really prefer playing stuff like Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Catan, or Dominion with a group like that.

That said, like most FFG titles, if you dedicate a day to learning the game inside-out and even playing half of a test game against yourself, it can be taught and played less painfully. If you don't have the rules and mechanics down pat though, it will be a disaster.

Well my wife and my one friend are GoT fans, but not the fourth in our group. Even so, I'm still nervous they won't really be into it since it seems so complex. I like the idea of playing a test game myself and really learning the rules and mechanics, so I will do that and then see how things go. Thanks!

Zzoram

What's the best Mahjong set available under $100? The good big tile Cantonese Hong Kong style sets, is there a good online retailer for them? The American style sets everywhere have crappy tiles that need racks and have English numbering and lettering on them.

Merino

Holy crap Martin Wallace just posted the Few Acres of Snow rules changes on BGG. Time to go print this out and fire up the game again. :D

Sorry for the delay in posting these rules changes. Part of the delay has been to allow time to test the changes.

The changes are:

1. Remove the French bateaux card from the initial deck and place it with the availble cards.

2. Reserve - you cannot place location cards in your reserve.

3. Raids - the raid distance is now two connections plus one connection for each additional card played (so playing two Native American cards would allow you to raid a location up to three connections away).

4. Home Support - you can only take cards from your draw deck, so if you had fewer than three cards available you would only be able to draw these. Consequently, the only time you shuffle your discard pile is when you need to refill your hand at the end of the turn and your draw deck is exhausted.

What I have realised in testing different versions of the game is that in itself is what could make the game retain long-term playability. Changing the rules is effectively the same as the changing card combinations in Dominion. What I am planning on doing is publishing varients on the Treefrog website. It's probably best to think of them as scenarios. Some of these will take the form of'what-ifs', allowing the game to diverge from published history.

Many thanks for your patience in waiting for an 'official' response. I am aware that this will not stop more posts being made by various persons, but that's the nature of the Geek, so no point in worrying about it.

Martin
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/743531/rules-changes-from-martin-wallace
Awesome he finally did it. I got the game for xmas and have just been learning it with my gf. I had tried to skip on the strategy board at BGG so as not to spoil the game but it's a good feeling knowing it's a more complete design now.

Kinda wish he would do the same for London but I guess Wallace doesn't see that one as broken.

I played Carson City for the first time last night. I did enjoy that for a Euroass Euro game it had a lot of confrontation. Every round we had at least one gunfight and on some rounds there were tons more. Besides that I was a little cold on it to be honest. Maybe I'm tiring of the Worker placement mechanic or I've just played games that tweaked that mechanic into something more exciting. The game itself is good but it's not something I would rush out to get or really even play anytime soon.

Neverfade

I love me some Carson City. Need to play that one again soon.

Did anyone get hands on with Tournay? Between CC and Troyes, I'll play anything Xavier Georges designs at least once.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I love me some Carson City. Need to play that one again soon.

Did anyone get hands on with Tournay? Between CC and Troyes, I'll play anything Xavier Georges designs at least once.

Played it at BGG with Flynn & some others. It's like a lighter version of Troyes I believe? Bit too brainburny for me.

So I finally got around to actually trying out Carcassone after having gotten it for Christmas. It's simple but fun! Reminds me of that tile game IZZI, except competitive.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Well my wife and my one friend are GoT fans, but not the fourth in our group. Even so, I'm still nervous they won't really be into it since it seems so complex. I like the idea of playing a test game myself and really learning the rules and mechanics, so I will do that and then see how things go. Thanks!

It is a very punishing game. I happen to love the game, but it is nothing like what you've played.

On the "board game progression scale from Clue" I would put it at aroung the 12-15th step.

the game is more Risk than it is Clue. It's pretty rules heavy, requires a lot of player interaction, and has a phase progression that you have to remember precisely or you will have no prayer of winning.. I think the rules could be learned pretty easily, but it is a game where you are punished.. very heavily so, for making tactical mistakes.

Look at the gameway games in the OP. Try a few of those out, see how they go, and move up the scale. I would put this in the "light-heavy" category. So start out with some simpler games, move to some medium games, and then see if you can make this jump.

Also, get them addicted to the show at least. The game is good on it's own, but the theme is the real kicker.

panda21

So I just started out playing with Carcasonne and Forbidden Island, Carcassonne wasn't that much fun because its really hard to see what a good strategy is.

Forbidden island is kind of cool though. Is there anything similar thats good for two players (I'm aware of pandemic - I might just go for that). I really like the style of forbidden island.

Was also considering Arkham Horror but I fear that might not be something the person I play with would be into.

^Lost Cities is good for 2 players. Super easy to learn but still has a bit of strategy involved. It's nothing like Forbidden Island though, which is co-op; Lost Cities is PvP. It's cheap, too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I just started out playing with Carcasonne and Forbidden Island, Carcassonne wasn't that much fun because its really hard to see what a good strategy is.

Forbidden island is kind of cool though. Is there anything similar thats good for two players (I'm aware of pandemic - I might just go for that). I really like the style of forbidden island.

Was also considering Arkham Horror but I fear that might not be something the person I play with would be into.

Carcassonne is an awesome gateway game. Yet out of the top 5 gateways it's the one that takes about 2-3 plays before you see its full potential. Good strategy is pretty simple:
-Get in on the good fields.
-Steal/join in on cities and even sometimes roads when you can.
-Complete cities.
-Prevent others from completing their structures or make it more difficult through tile placement.

Arkham Horror is . . . a whole different level and different type of game. Again I'd recommend stuff like Dominion, or even Ghost Stories or LOTR:TCG if you are into co-ops, before AH.

For as easy as Carcassonne is it has a bit of a learning curve. The trick is to be familiar with the ways you score. The only thing to keep in mind is that whoever has the most meeples in a certain area has "control" and will score. If there are a tie for the number of meeples the tied players each get the points.

For Co-Ops, Flash Point: Fire Rescue is pretty kick ass. Each player plays as a firefighter and the goal of the game is to save a number of victims while trying to keep the fire at bay long enough for you to do your job. It comes with both "Family" rules, which leave out some of the more complicated rules, and advanced which adds roles, hazmats, explosions, and all sorts of interesting stuff. It plays differently than Forbidden Island and Pandemic so if you get tired of those games this one is different.
Was also considering Arkham Horror but I fear that might not be something the person I play with would be into
Arkham Horror is a beast of a game. You have to be ready to invest some time in it in order to really get a handle of rules. It will also kick your ass with it's difficulty.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Doing my quarterly board-game purge since I have about 15 new games to make room for from the holidays and in the new shipment. It's getting pretty tough now because I no longer really have any stuff I just have zero interest in, just stuff I'm unlikely to play in the future.

So adios Fresco, Union Pacific, Catan Card Game, and a few others....make room for the new hotness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom