• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

Thanks, I guess we will try Carcassonne again until we get it - the scoring was a bit hard to fathom the first time.

Will think about Dominion and Lost cities for the next, or possibly one of the smaller ticket to ride games (norway?)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks, I guess we will try Carcassonne again until we get it - the scoring was a bit hard to fathom the first time.

Will think about Dominion and Lost cities for the next, or possibly one of the smaller ticket to ride games (norway?)

Are you only playing with two for the most part? If you want TtR and you're only playing with 2-3, Nordic is definitely a good way to go. Also pretty much everything in the 2p games section of the OP. There are actually lots of awesome light 2P games like Lost Cities, Battle Line, Aton, Jaipur, Campaign Manager, etc.

Just realized I lost all my images in the OP now that tinypic is banned. Gr, gonna have to fix that.

Neverfade

Doing my quarterly board-game purge since I have about 15 new games to make room for from the holidays and in the new shipment. It's getting pretty tough now because I no longer really have any stuff I just have zero interest in, just stuff I'm unlikely to play in the future.

So adios Fresco, Union Pacific, Catan Card Game, and a few others....make room for the new hotness.

Post what you're selling! Us gaffers want first dibs! :p

Leunam

Bought Carcassone along with the Castles, Bridges, and Bazaars and Inns and Cathedrals expansions for my father-in-law. Three of us have been playing it a lot and it's been very very fun so far. Thank you Boardgame thread for the suggestion in the OP.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, I'm interested as well.

cool i'll put something up tonight

Bought Carcassone along with the Castles, Bridges, and Bazaars and Inns and Cathedrals expansions for my father-in-law. Three of us have been playing it a lot and it's been very very fun so far. Thank you Boardgame thread for the suggestion in the OP
whoo! i've actually never played with castles, bridges, bazaars but i love inns & cathedrals and base.

Had some gaming action today. Met some friends at Card Kingdom to introduce them to gaming. We played Ticket to Ride (a big hit, natch), and Pandemic... providing me with my first Pandemic win ever. It was downright easy even. Kept waiting for a big disastrous outbreak, and we got close a few times, yeah, woot!

Then went to my usual board game night and tried Kingdom Builder for the first time. Tons of fun, really looking forward to playing it again.

Now to place a big order on CSI or wherever, MWAH HA HA.

Played LOTR LCG Emin Muil expansion about 5 times, each time losing Eowyn in the first few rounds to treachery cards. Finally beat it using a lucky few Gandalfs! That was after multiple rage quits. Had fun, though. Guess I should tweak my deck setup a bit.

panda21

Are you only playing with two for the most part? If you want TtR and you're only playing with 2-3, Nordic is definitely a good way to go. Also pretty much everything in the 2p games section of the OP. There are actually lots of awesome light 2P games like Lost Cities, Battle Line, Aton, Jaipur, Campaign Manager, etc.

yeah, just 2 people. I'm hoping we could go towards slightly nerdier stuff.. thinking of getting either Ticket to Ride or Dominion today..

Is Elder Signs any good? Is it too complex?

XShagrath

Elder Sign is really easy for anyone that's played more than a couple games (or Yahtzee). Complaints around the board are that it's "too easy", but I've lost a couple times. It's dice, so it's obviously extremely luck-based, but I always have a good time.

FFG recently released a FAQ that addresses some of the issues with difficulty (making it a little harder), but some people on BGG still see the game as a cakewalk.

Maybe I'm just a horrible gamer, but every time I go on there looking at games I see as difficult (Arkham Horror, LOTR:LCG), people are just like "Oh, base Arkham is so easy. You need the expansions to ramp it up." I've never won a game of Arkham, and it's at the point where it's sometimes so frustrating that I don't even want to try again. I'm obviously playing it wrong though.

Back to the original topic: I enjoy Elder Sign quite a bit. It's cheap enough where you can try it out without too much remorse if you don't like it.

panda21

Elder Sign is really easy for anyone that's played more than a couple games (or Yahtzee). Complaints around the board are that it's "too easy", but I've lost a couple times. It's dice, so it's obviously extremely luck-based, but I always have a good time.

FFG recently released a FAQ that addresses some of the issues with difficulty (making it a little harder), but some people on BGG still see the game as a cakewalk.

Maybe I'm just a horrible gamer, but every time I go on there looking at games I see as difficult (Arkham Horror, LOTR:LCG), people are just like "Oh, base Arkham is so easy. You need the expansions to ramp it up." I've never won a game of Arkham, and it's at the point where it's sometimes so frustrating that I don't even want to try again. I'm obviously playing it wrong though.

Back to the original topic: I enjoy Elder Sign quite a bit. It's cheap enough where you can try it out without too much remorse if you don't like it.

Cool, thanks. I might give it a go.

Anyone have any thoughts on Sekigahara? sounds like its simple but quite deep? might be a bit too long though I guess.

I find LOTR pretty difficult, too. Probably because I just play it solo.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Yeah base Arkham is "easy" if you know all the most active locations as well as a few of the cheesy ways to beat the game and certain bosses. These can only be learned through repeated play though or just spoiling the whole game for yourself on BGG, the latter of which is of course what most BGGers like to do. The former is way more fun and satisfying though. I don't know how many you're playing with but playing 2-3 investigators (especially 2) is definitely tough.

XShagrath

I don't know how many you're playing with but playing 2-3 investigators (especially 2) is definitely tough.
We've played twice now. Two-player with just one investigator a piece. The first time we got to the GOO battle and I think would've won against Ithiqua, but didn't realize that you could do multiple hits per attack. Thought it was a one and done thing.

The second time we played, we just got overrun really quick and didn't even care to keep going. There's a point where the difficulty is good and challenging, and a point where it becomes just fucking annoying. We got to the annoying part.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We've played twice now. Two-player with just one investigator a piece. The first time we got to the GOO battle and I think would've won against Ithiqua, but didn't realize that you could do multiple hits per attack. Thought it was a one and done thing.

The second time we played, we just got overrun really quick and didn't even care to keep going. There's a point where the difficulty is good and challenging, and a point where it becomes just fucking annoying. We got to the annoying part.

Yeah 2 investigators is hard (want something even worse try soloing it . . . ugh). I think even for most AH "pros" it's a challenge against most bosses. You guys should do two investigators each if you can -- it's a ton of fun and the difficulty is just right for non-pros. Against the bosses don't forget you can not only do multiple hits, but also that partial hits carry over to the next person so nothing is wasted.

Hero

yeah, just 2 people. I'm hoping we could go towards slightly nerdier stuff.. thinking of getting either Ticket to Ride or Dominion today..

Ticket to Ride is a great gateway game that most people can get into I think. I've only tried the original and Europe but both are great. If you get the original you really need to get the expansion since you get normal sized cards and more destination tickets. Europe has normal sized tickets and a good amount of destination tickets already.

Dominion is a blast and it's really never the same game twice. The sheer amount of customization and options for that game make the strategies almost endless.

Highly recommend both, you can't go wrong with either.

Elder Sign I have won more than lost, but there are certain Elders that just are much tougher than others. If you get bad draws on adventures and too much monster spawnings, the game becomes incredibly hard. And luck is always a factor of course in the dice part. Had a close game of it last night which everyone expected to lose and we suddenly had a couple rounds of awesome luck in a row that got us a win.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Peek into the game closet, post-NYE cleaning (not pictured: stuff in the living room cabinet like all my Dominions, Carc, bunch of small 2P games, etc.). Really happy that I was able to roughly sort by genre and game series, will make my life much easier when picking out games:

eTEbG.jpg

Happy New Year's board-game GAF!

Played Super Dungeon Explore tonight. Took forever. The rules are pretty awfully written. We were all very confused at a game that was supposed to be pretty casual. By the time we got near the end, we just didn't have the will to finish.
Hopefully the second game will go a little more smoothly, and will be fun. Anyone else play this?

Played Super Dungeon Explore tonight. Took forever. The rules are pretty awfully written. We were all very confused at a game that was supposed to be pretty casual. By the time we got near the end, we just didn't have the will to finish.
Hopefully the second game will go a little more smoothly, and will be fun. Anyone else play this?

I've heard lot of mixed things about it. Was interested in it but have heard it does take long to play and is not casual friendly as they pimped it out to be. Also was turned off by having to put together the miniatures.

Peek into the game closet, post-NYE cleaning (not pictured: stuff in the living room cabinet like all my Dominions, Carc, bunch of small 2P games, etc.). Really happy that I was able to roughly sort by genre and game series, will make my life much easier when picking out games:

Happy New Year's board-game GAF!

I've filled out one closet, have a cabinet full of games, and now filling up a second closet.... trying to make room for more. Too many games!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've heard lot of mixed things about it. Was interested in it but have heard it does take long to play and is not casual friendly as they pimped it out to be. Also was turned off by having to put together the miniatures.

I've filled out one closet, have a cabinet full of games, and now filling up a second closet.... trying to make room for more. Too many games!

Yeah I've been trying really hard to stay in the 100 range (not counting expansions). Really like having a closet where I'd be literally happy to play any game depending on the situation.

MichaelBD

Played our first game of Airlines Europe yesterday. Managed to semi-teach it to my 90 year old aunt. Even though she had some trouble remembering the little rules (like you put new stock cards in your hand and not right to your portfolio) she surprised me with some fairly intuitive decisions.

Overall it went real well.

Yes, it's way over complicated for what it's supposed to be. There are like 14 different status effects to keep track of. 5 different abilities. All of this could have been streamlined. Hopefully someone comes out with some variant rules soon, to make it simpler to play!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Been playing so much over the holidays. About 2-3 games a day even now that we're back home. Tried out Rune Age for the first time yesterday. It was . . . interesting. Starter scenario felt almost broken easy but maybe it's because we weren't attacking each other too much and more focused on improving our decks. Still weird to me how easy influence is to come by and how if you care at all about it you are basically guaranteed 3 every turn with your strongholds, never mind the cities. Hm. Going to have to approach it more carefully next time see what's really going on because superficially at least the game appeals to me.

Playing some Few Acres of Snow (with new rules) a bit later today. Really looking forward to that.

Taught my wife Blood Bowl Team Manager yesterday and she really loved it. That game is going to get some serious play when friends are ever because it's really up everyone's alley.

Game of Thrones Board Game experts: How does it play with 3-4? BGG seems to say it's quite fine, but I've seen some random posts saying it sucks. Would like to know before investing the 4+ hours of teaching and playing.

Finally rolled out Gears of War, 2 of the group were not really interested in it cause they didn't play the games and one just thought a game based off of GoW was going to be awful, but they all really liked the game. They did a great job with this, very faithful to the games and just a real good coop game.

Read up on Forbidden Island, seems like a quick simple coop game that got on the cheap, looking forward to trying. Also just got Flash point Fire Rescue. Hoping its great.

Unison

Catching up with the thread after Holiday break, I noticed there were some Risk Legacy questions...

I played it a bit (6 games w/ the same group of 5 people) over the break. It's really fun, and anyone who likes Risk even a little bit should seriously consider it.

To answer one key question, it is not at all necessary to play with the same people every game. If someone misses a game, or if you have different people playing entirely from game to game, it's okay. The consistency in the group might seem like a major problem early on, but by four or so games, it won't matter nearly as much (I'll refrain from spoiling the rule changes that make it so, but rest assured, they're in there...). Still, the more everyone can feel like they are contributing to the makeup of the world, the better.

It plays quicker than Risk games in the past, because you only need 4 victory points to win, but that's probably a blessing in disguise. There were some minor issues, I suppose, in our games, because one of our 5 was my young nephew who would get steamrolled by whoever was by him, enabling an easy point when his HQ was captured, but honestly the game becomes more balanced over time, because if you have won in the past you start without a one victory point bonus.

It was a huge hit for my group (and don't listen to the 13+ age limit on the box... that's absurd). I can see the price being a bit of an issue, but it's an extremely fun game that almost any board gamer would be able to appreciate, if only because of the sheer innovation of the video-game style achievement system & unlockable components.

I just got my 1st non Emergence scenario victory in Gears! played 2 solo games, the first one I came within an inch within victory, which is PAR for me, it's absurd!. I needed revenge so I went back in and steamrolled the game all the way until the end. I got hung on dealing the last 3 damage to the Berserker and it was getting ridiculous; that last 3 damage is tough considering the Berserker gets 3 defense die. I eventually got the kill, but my dice rolls were unbelievable; I dealt a mere 2 damage (which does nothing for the final strike, gotta be 3+) probably 5x before emerging victorious)

XShagrath

Had my third (and last) gaming day of my vacation yesterday. Played quite a few games.

Dominion: Alchemy - Got Alchemy and Prosperity for X-Mas to "complete" my Dominion collection for X-Mas, so I wanted to try out some of the new cards. I'd heard that Alchemy was the weakest of the bunch, but I play for fun and don't really care if I win all the time or not. We played two games and both times I tried going the potion route, and my friend just used the cards from the base game (there were 5 Alchemy and 5 Base cards), and he won handily both times.

Merkator - After getting Agricola, I started looking into Uwe's other games. I saw this was on sale at CSI last week, so I went ahead and picked it up. It's rather dry, but I still rather enjoyed it. My friend got one of the building cards that's supposedly a "mis-print", but is actually just a broken card. They posted up a revision on BGG that would've fixed the card and given me the win. But if the card had read the way it was supposed to, he would've changed up his strategy.

Stone Age - Played a bit like a lighter Agricola. Quite a bit of simple math needed throughout the game, but I liked the idea of sending in additional workers to get extra dice for tasks.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Played this once before, but it's been a while. We played the second house (with only two entrances), and two firefighters each. We screwed up some of the set-up, so it was actually a little easier than it was supposed to be. We were doing really well in the beginning and things started to get out of control. I switched out one of my guys to the Engine Driver and started going around the building firing the deck gun trying to stop the blaze. By that point though, it was almost too late. The structural integrity of the building was almost too much, so my friend switched to the Structural Engineer and started trying to repair the walls while our other two fighters tried to stop the blazes inside and rescue our last person. We ended up getting the last person out and just needed to drive the ambulance over there. We rolled for fire at the end of the turn and ended up having to place the last two damage cubes and lost the game. Fun times though, and very hectic!

7 Wonders - Played this with the Leaders expansion. Only the second time playing, and had mostly forgotten how to play. We both picked it up again rather quickly, but maybe having some text on the cards might've helped rather than constantly having to look things up on the reference sheet each time we saw a new icon would've been nice. Two players is kinda weird with the whole "dummy" third player, but I guess it works out as best as it can. I didn't see the Leaders bringing in any real new depth/features to the game, but maybe that was just the ones I got.

All in all, a good day and a good vacation for boardgames! Next week (or this weekend), we'll be trying out Dungeon Petz. I think both of us are pretty set for now. We each have so many games that we've only played once or twice, so it might be nice to have a break from buying new stuff to dig deeper into the ones we already have. The only games I really have on my wishlist are Le Havre, Ora & Labora, and Castles of Burgundy.

Station42

Ok then! I'll post our game we published in Essen 2010!

i93F3lr046EH4.png

This is a pen-and-paper game about hidden movement with an "Alien" theme, think Scotland Yard but everyone is Mister X. Two teams: humans must escape before the aliens hunt them down.

Escape From the Aliens In Outer Space is a card game of strategy and bluff set on a badly damaged deep space research ship. On-board systems have failed, plunging the ship into darkness. But even worse: a mysterious alien plague has crept aboard and is transforming the human crew into horrendous monsters!

The remaining crewmen desperately try to save their lives by escaping from the derelict spaceship, but in the darkness the aliens are lurking… hungry for human flesh.

In Escape From the Aliens In Outer Space, each player assumes the role of either a Human or an Alien. The Humans are trying to save themselves by reaching the Escape Hatches. The Aliens seek to hunt down all the Humans.

Each player’s identity and position is kept secret: you will need to interpret the movements and behaviors of the other players to learn who and where they really are.

[On BGG]

[Official Site]

[English Rules]

j59EVFkHbJWH5.png

isQaJfc0HYlQO.png

i8V9nfcjNkUuJ.jpeg

[Tom Vasel's Video Review - Dice Tower]
[Shut Up & Sit Down! review]

The game supports user generated content, you can make you maps using the MAP EDITOR and create new game scenarios with combintions of custom rules with the SCENARIO TOOL.

We just reprinted, so the game should be available through Indie Press Revolution and other american retailers. The RRP is 19€, 25$ inc taxes.
Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Slick design Station 42, really like the art and especially the box. Probably one of the classiest board-game boxes I've ever seen.

Merkator - After getting Agricola, I started looking into Uwe's other games. I saw this was on sale at CSI last week, so I went ahead and picked it up. It's rather dry, but I still rather enjoyed it. My friend got one of the building cards that's supposedly a "mis-print", but is actually just a broken card. They posted up a revision on BGG that would've fixed the card and given me the win. But if the card had read the way it was supposed to, he would've changed up his strategy.
It's really funny what you can miss on BGG. Like Agricola several of the cards literally were worded wrong in the English version, but you only know that if you have the giant compendium from BGG and check it (which has happened to me in a live game). Hell, look at Few Acres of Snow -- classic example now. I was actually thinking I need to go back through some of my favorite games and sort the forums by hotness just to make sure I didn't miss some huge change or mistake. That said, if the games are good they are good regardless of later tweaks, and it's nice to have that kind of continuing attention given to the games if you are that into them.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Anybody here play Arkham Horror? It's a pretty neat Lovecraft-inspired board game some friends and I have been playing recently. I think somebody got an expansion or two for xmas...really looking forward to giving those a try.

It's really funny what you can miss on BGG. Like Agricola several of the cards literally were worded wrong in the English version, but you only know that if you have the giant compendium from BGG and check it (which has happened to me in a live game). Hell, look at Few Acres of Snow -- classic example now. I was actually thinking I need to go back through some of my favorite games and sort the forums by hotness just to make sure I didn't miss some huge change or mistake. That said, if the games are good they are good regardless of later tweaks, and it's nice to have that kind of continuing attention given to the games if you are that into them.

I just wish these things were done through the games official sites/faqs instead of all this info that is basically hidden for all these games on BGG. Seems like I'm constantly finding things on BGG that I had no idea about but have to learn from a forum post mention and then having to get linked.

Some cases I know it's because the game designer has no real connection to the company publishing the title and getting the company to publish these updates is not easy, so they do it themselves through places like BGG instead of any kind of "official" update.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anybody here play Arkham Horror? It's a pretty neat Lovecraft-inspired board game some friends and I have been playing recently. I think somebody got an expansion or two for xmas...really looking forward to giving those a try.

Yep bunch of people. It's even in the OP! :p

I've got every expansion I think but don't get to play as much as I like. Have some old friends coming down in a couple weeks and we'll definitely play a couple games though. Probably base, then base + Dunwich.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Game of Thrones Board Game experts: How does it play with 3-4? BGG seems to say it's quite fine, but I've seen some random posts saying it sucks. Would like to know before investing the 4+ hours of teaching and playing.

Wouldn't call myself an expert but I love the game and have played it several times. I've never done 3, I don't think that would be great. 4 players seems totally fine to me though. Baratheon may have a slight advantage but that's kind of the name of the game. The different houses have vastly different starting positions and alliances and betrayals are almost necessary to win. I might say the game is balancedly unbalanced.

On another note, I've now got GOT, Pandemic, and ordered Arkham Horror this morning. Frightenedly looking forward to playing this.

Just got the Game of Thrones board game over Christmas, and played a 5 player game (all newbies like me). Fantastic game, came down to multiple tiebreakers in the end. Love it!

Hot damn, I am on top of the world. I just finished another solo Gears game, this time the Roadblocks mission. Very easy with 1 player, but as usual this game became a nail-biter at the finale. Some wretches got a lucky combo off on me and I went from 6 to 0 health due to 1 AI card. My next draw I picked up Roadie Run and what do you know; I'm exactly 5 spaces away from the exit for the win!

MichaelBD

Played a 2 player game of Blood Bowl tonight and it went off very well. With rules instruction we came in a hair over 60 minutes, which is perfect for that game. I'm thinking 3 might be the sweet spot as having another player in the mix should up the chaos. I love the randomness the dice and cheat tokens add to the game.

Also played our second game of Airlines Europe, and it played fine with just 3. I never played a lot of Union Pacific so I'm starting to see some strategies open up even after a couple of plays. Another quick game that looks to be a nice addition to the collection.

wow, never knew there was a board game official thread in GAF. So I wanted to say hi all, and tell my experiences with some of them.

A friend of mine is a fan of board games and buys lots of them (most of them are in the OP) and he uses us to be the guinea pigs, but we have a lot of fun playing them.

Ive played a few games of Citadels, Dominion, game of thrones board game and Puerto Rico. The ones that are most fun to me are Citadels (because its easy, fast and lots of fun) and Puerto Rico (because its the one that starts the heavy strategic thing but without being overwhelming and also lots of fun).
The funny thing is that I usually have the beginners luck and win my first time with board games (happened first with monoply and poker when I was smaller, and now with these ones). So all the games I mentioned were won by me the first time, all but Dominion (that is the one that I least like).

So this new years eve we stayed at his home with 2 other friends, he had just gotten the game Eclipse and wanted to test it with us....
326376.jpg

1314426171270_40548989.jpg

OMG
This game was just massive.
First we had to sort all the little pieces as there are hundreds of them, and reading (and learning) the rules, that was form 8pm to 10:30 pm. It was no easy feat, but after eating and celebrating new year we started playing, so it was something like 12:30am and we finished at 5:00am lol
At first it was really hard, but after the third turn it became easier to understand all what was going on.
Lol, the girl that was playing with us got bankrupt in the first turn (as we thought you could change 1 of gold for 1 of tech or materials and not 2 the first turns) but she continued playing (although after the third turn we used the real rule for using money).
At the middle of the game we started fighting with our spaceships, and I was alone fighting ancient aliens (the NPCs of the game) in my sectors, while the other three players were joining theirs. So nearly at the end we started making alliances (when I joined also my sector with the one of another player), so we had 3 alliances and the girl was left alone lol. The other two guys started attacking her until she ony had one sector, while I still was fighting my own war with the ancient aliensand making better tech to win valious winning points.
At the end they massacred the poor girl thinking her sectors would make them win the game becuase of the points she had in them, but at the end I won thanks to my teachnologies and peacefull treatment to my rivals lol.

So we really had lot of fun with it. I recommend the game if you want to experience something like a RPG PC game but with friends in board game form. Its very dense, but when all players know how to play it becames extremely fun.
Also the game cost 70 euros, but the presentation for it is top notch. The quality of the pieces and the game in general is outstanding.

XShagrath

My gaming buddy got Eclipse recently as well, and we ran through a game earlier this week (I think? These last few weeks have blurred together).

I'm not a huge sci-fi guy, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. There were tons of choices to make, but I never felt overwhelmed. Both of us suffer from a mild case of AP, but I don't think either of had turns that annoyed the other. We didn't really get into any combat with anything but the "AI", but I think we might next time. We both enjoy games where you get to build things, and this game has it in droves!

While it seems pretty overwhelming, I think all of the mechanics make sense for anyone that's played more than a few games. Nothing felt overly complicated, and my friend said the rulebook is fantastic, and that FFG could take a few notes!

jasonng

Oh man, this thread just reminded me that I have still yet to play Small World, the same board I bought off of Astrolad. It's a pain that my boardgame friends live so far away.

besada

Banned
So I've now played Ticket To Ride Asia and Legendary Asia, as well as playing the Dexter and Alvin expansion. And my 1910 expansion is on the way, along with my copy of Small World (which I got $18 cheaper than the local comic/gaming store was selling it for.

I really like Legendary Asia. It's nice to have bigger cards, a new map, and I like the dynamics of the mountain routes. The ferries don't seem to make that big of a difference.

The game of Team Asia I played was fun. It was probably complicated by the fact it was three adults and three kids, with each of the adults taking a young partner, but I liked having the shared destinations and shared cards to play around with. The tunnel mechanics took me a couple of reads to grasp and seemed to confuse the hell out of the younger players, but I liked them.

Alvin and Dexter was...interesting. I didn't love it. It introduces a level of randomness to the game that reminds me of Mario Party. I'll try it again, but I don't think it's going to be a favorite. It could also use some clearer rules. There are a couple of points we considered with in minutes of starting that aren't mentioned in the tiny rules booklet.

Now I have my fingers crossed that Small World and 1910 get here before my birthday on Wednesday. Oh, I also picked up the Chrononauts card game. Our group has played Back to the Future a few times and loved it, so I expect we'll feel the same about Chrononauts. Still haven't managed to play a game of Tannhauser, but I expect to this week.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I've now played Ticket To Ride Asia and Legendary Asia, as well as playing the Dexter and Alvin expansion. And my 1910 expansion is on the way, along with my copy of Small World (which I got $18 cheaper than the local comic/gaming store was selling it for.

I really like Legendary Asia. It's nice to have bigger cards, a new map, and I like the dynamics of the mountain routes. The ferries don't seem to make that big of a difference.

The game of Team Asia I played was fun. It was probably complicated by the fact it was three adults and three kids, with each of the adults taking a young partner, but I liked having the shared destinations and shared cards to play around with. The tunnel mechanics took me a couple of reads to grasp and seemed to confuse the hell out of the younger players, but I liked them.

Alvin and Dexter was...interesting. I didn't love it. It introduces a level of randomness to the game that reminds me of Mario Party. I'll try it again, but I don't think it's going to be a favorite. It could also use some clearer rules. There are a couple of points we considered with in minutes of starting that aren't mentioned in the tiny rules booklet.

Now I have my fingers crossed that Small World and 1910 get here before my birthday on Wednesday. Oh, I also picked up the Chrononauts card game. Our group has played Back to the Future a few times and loved it, so I expect we'll feel the same about Chrononauts. Still haven't managed to play a game of Tannhauser, but I expect to this week.
I'm getting the Asia set in this week. Really looking forward to it, especially the team play part since I think TtR traditionally drags a little with four. One thing I wonder from reading the rules though, is wouldn't you literally every time use your first turn to put your starting destination tickets in the shared rack? I can't think of many situations where you wouldn't. There's actually some debate at BGG as to whether you can do this with your first tickets or only subsequent ones. It's kind of like the thing about two players on the same team taking double routes -- the rules are a bit fuzzy on this point.

But yeah, can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom