• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Which of the LOTR packs are your favorite/most useful? I got Hunt for Gollum, and Emyn Muil, but I'd like ones with cooler heroes. Any suggestions?

Emyn Muil is my favorite scenario so far, and it really makes the eagle cards worth putting in your hand. Really, once you have the entire deck, the eagle strategy becomes the obvious way to go.. though, I wonder if the Khazad Dum expansion is going to nix the eagles.. it doesn't make a ton of sense for eagles to be helping you out inside the mines of moria.

Really though, I would go in order. The 6 expansions actually tell a pretty decent little story, and with a little role playing on your part the game can take on something of a mini-RPG quality to it. Especially if someone if familiar with LOTR (especially the books since many are important locations that are either cut out of the movies completely, or little detail is gone into during the movie).

I also just picked up Massing at Osgilath myself, and while I have yet to actually play it, I've heard it is by far the best scenario in the game (though wicked hard). But it doesn't expand your player deck in any way.

My only complaints about the game is that you really need to buy the expansions to really build a competitive deck... the base game has good cards, but too many of them don't come in 3's, so you really can't build a very effective deck around those cards. Or at least, you can't maximize effeciency for a card that is only going to come up 1/deck size times.

Gonna pick up a few games tomorrow:

Sid Meier's Civilization
Lord of the Rings the card game
Macao

I did a bit of research and they all seem like fairly well rated games.

What say you GAF?

I recently grabbed Civilization and the expansion, but I haven't had a chance to play it or even read through the rules. One thing that I keep reading is that you really need the expansion, because it "fixes" a lot of things, mainly with the win conditions, most of them besides the gold victory aren't viable.

Neverfade

I recently grabbed Civilization and the expansion, but I haven't had a chance to play it or even read through the rules. One thing that I keep reading is that you really need the expansion, because it "fixes" a lot of things, mainly with the win conditions, most of them besides the gold victory aren't viable.

Unless you're playing with some real sperglords, that's just bullshit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Glad to hear about Blood Bowl. Bill Abner kind of tempered my enthusiasm when he incredulously asked why I picked up Blood Bowl for two players. Stoked that you enjoyed it!

Yep, cross posting from BGG since I spent a whole five minutes writing about this topic there:

I learned and first played this game with 4, and just over the holidays played with 2 for the first time (several times actually) and really loved it. Saw some mixed feelings on BGG so I was a bit hesitant but it was a huge success. Benefits:

-Plays much faster. A common complaint about BB (which I share) is that it seems to take about 30-45m longer than it should when playing with 3-4. With 2 once you have learned the game, you can knock a game out in 30m, which is really impressive.

-Great way to teach. BB sometimes doesn't go down all that smoothly when you're trying to teach in a 3-4p game. There's just so much going on in terms of upgrades that it's almost impossible for a new player to keep reasonable tabs on things (almost reminds me of Innovation in a way). Not so with 2 -- really simplifies the learning process.

-Matchups. Not sure about the rock-paper-scissors point above [someone in the thread was talking about how they don't like 2 b/c some teams are apparently well-suited to play others so there's no balancing out] (honestly don't have enough experience to opine either way), but with 2 we did random for the first couple games then found teams we really liked and went at it with those. In general it's much easier to agree to pick teams with 2 than with 4.

I still think the ideal number for the game is 3, but I found it very worthwhile with 2.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I couldn't resist one last sale this year. :/

Picked up GoT: Board Game, Ticket to Ride: Asia & Team, Lords of Vegas (thx GAF), Rattus

No more for the rest of the year!

Nice thing is I have several friends coming down in a couple weeks for an MLK board-gaming weekend.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm feeling myself become ensnared by board gaming. Being an average guy who played the occasional board game throughout life but no real hardcore games, Game of Thrones was the board game that introduced me to real good games. I've got Pandemic now and love the shit out of it. I want the expansion to that, as well as Blood Bowl, Arkham Horror at the very least.

Fewr

I went to the shop today to buy Ticket to Ride, but they didnt have the US version, they only had nordic countries and Europe. I decided to think about which to get because I knew nothing about either. Tomorrow Ill make my purchase.
I think Ill get Europe because it seems better for beginners.

I went to the shop today to buy Ticket to Ride, but they didnt have the US version, they only had nordic countries and Europe. I decided to think about which to get because I knew nothing about either. Tomorrow Ill make my purchase.

Double check, because I'm not positive, but I think Nordic only supports 2-3 players, as well, which may not work for you? Europe is up to 5, I believe.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Many people say Europe is actually a slightly better game than US. THE US version uses weird tiny cards. I think Europe does not.
If nothing else, the board has more flavor.

MichaelBD

Unless you're playing with some real sperglords, that's just bullshit.
I just finished a 3P game of Civ with the new expansion (first time using it). We used all the expansion components and played with 3 out of the 4 new civs (Arabs, Indians, and Greeks). It was a close game, with all of us having a legitimate shot at a victory.

I will say that the expansion makes a culture victory much more viable. We had our first culture win tonight (and I was only a couple of spaces back from a culture victory myself). The new techs and the investments help you get discounts when spending culture tokens which really add up as you move down the track. There is a little more to take in with the added components but if you are comfortable with the base game it shouldn't be a problem incorporating the new stuff.

Do I think it's needed to "fix" the base game? Nah. People like to bitch; welcome to life. Granted we never saw a culture victory, but we've had people come close. The other victory conditions had all won out a couple of times each. Personally I don't think anyone tried hard enough for a CV when we've played.

I do think if you like the base game the expansion is a no-brainer. You get more civs, techs, wonders, culture cards, map tiles; you get components for a fifth player; and then there is the new stuff like investments and the famous people deck.

I think in the long run games will actually go faster with the expansion as me and the winner were cruising up the culture track, and we both did it with only two cities each. No one even built a third city in our game and again, we were all close to winning.

Hope that helps.

Manik

Hoping for a little bit of help from boardgame-gaf - I'm after a game to play with my fiancée on new years eve, so something that's fairly in depth and might take a little while to play through.

There's just the two of us and we've already got, and enjoyed - Stratego, Game of Thrones LCG and Twilight Struggle, as well as Lost Cities.

A quick browse left me contemplating the Co-OP Lord Of The Rings board game, as we're both fans, but think we'd rather play something competitive. Not bought a new board game in some time, so am way out of the loop at the minute!

Any suggestions?

Had 2 player Gears of War last night. Man, that game is really good at teetering you back and forth between life and death. There were 2 times where I suggested starting over because the odds were so bleak, but we marched forward anyway and recovered each time, by the skin of our teeth. This made for a really exciting game, it was scenario 3, Belly of the Beast; where you enter the Keycode in Level 2, which opens the door to Level 3. Then when you get there, you resolve double enemy AI cards until exhausting that deck for the win. Rather anti-climactic but we were steamrolled when the first double AI draw happened. There was a swarm of bad guys right at the door, they ran in and took us from near full life to dead.

I really like this game but man it's discouraging to lose during the finale, after we've made it so far. We are 0/4 on the non Emergence (beginner scenario) courses.

Played Smallworld finally, was a big with the group. Seemed a bit meh from reading the rules, but it really is lot of fun and just quick simple fun with actual strategy involved. Did some King of Toyko after which folks like as a quick filler game when you only got a little bit of time to play something.

Looks like the 51st State expansion is out in the US now in some places, kinda tempted. I'm hoping the game is more cohesive with the new rules because it felt really messy and disjointed at times.

protonion

I've been reading about Dungeon Run and it will probably be my next purchase as I've always wanted a game like this. As a kid I loved The Legend of Zagor and this feels like a next gen version of it.

Any other similar games to check?Light dungeon crawlers with a final boss,exploration, items, abilities,stats etc. I repeat, light!

Drey1082

Any other similar games to check?Light dungeon crawlers with a final boss,exploration, items, abilities,stats etc. I repeat, light!

The Dungeon & Dragon adventure series (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt) games are extremely light, and do not need a DM to run. Some argue that they're more like a co-op game than a dungeon crawl, but it has all the aspects you asked for. Games are quick and (as most co-ops) it works well solo.

Edit: not sure how similar it is to Dungeon Run as I haven't played that one.

MichaelBD

i have Airlines Europe arriving today. I've played Union Pacific a few times and liked it but its no longer in print. AE seems like it is a nice step up from Ticket to Ride. Plus it plays quick which is a nice plus when introducing games to non-gamers

I've been reading about Dungeon Run and it will probably be my next purchase as I've always wanted a game like this. As a kid I loved The Legend of Zagor and this feels like a next gen version of it.

I played a game of Claustrophobia last night. I don't know how deep it gets in later scenarios, but it's a good, light dungeon crawl. The only drawback is that it's strictly a two-player game.

Anyone here play Yomi? I played some online matches against AI without really reading the rules. I like the concept but if I were to buy this game, I would most certainly buy the deluxe edition. How easy is it to teach? I would be in charge of teaching anyone I would want to play against.

The Dungeon & Dragon adventure series (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt) games are extremely light, and do not need a DM to run. Some argue that they're more like a co-op game than a dungeon crawl, but it has all the aspects you asked for. Games are quick and (as most co-ops) it works well solo.

Edit: not sure how similar it is to Dungeon Run as I haven't played that one.

Dungeon Run is lighter than the D&D board games. It is simpler, more abstracted, and for that reason it is quicker. Also, in Dungeon Run you get to stab your "bros" in the back.

D&D is a really tough game that is purely a co-op experience, so it different kind of game. The battle mechanics in D&D are much different than in Dungeon Run, and depending on what you like, the D&D battle system can be more satisfying because of the depth it has compared to Dungeon Run. Dungeon Run's battle mechanic is cool, but I think it falls flat on its face in PvP situations.

I own 2 of the D&D games and Dungeon Run and I enjoy them both very much. What I think, though, is that they feel different enough from each other that you can choose between them depending on what kind of game you want to play.

If you want dungeons and want to screw around with your friends, Dungeon Run is the game. Set aside 40 minutes for this one.

If you want to get fucking hard dungeons that you want to get through with your friends, D&D is the game. Set aside an hour and a half for this one (or 15 minutes if you suck =D).

Also, Dungeon Run is way cheaper than any single box of D&D lol. I also feel that the D&D games have way more legs than Dungeon Run. The D&D games can be combined with each other and you can play a lot of different scenarios with them. The "system" allows for a lot of flexibility and home-brewed stuff. You can even use the components in a real D&D or any other type of role playing game. A better investment would be the D&D games if you're looking for a game you can play for the long run. Dungeon Run is more board-gamey and will play almost the same every time, but it's quick and easy to get into.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
dub question:
Any decent but cheap card shufflers for dominion people would recommend? My only beef with the game is a get tired of the constant shuffling.

Card shufflers often screw with the edges of cards so most gamers avoid them.

When a company comes up with a gamer friendly safe card shuffler for a reasonable price, they are going to be rich. Everyone at our tables would have their own.

Switters

Subscribed!

I just got the Gears of War board game on a whim. It was surprisingly entertaining. I'm looking forward to playing with the full four folks.

I also own:
Merchants and Marauders
Mansions of Madness - Will pick up the expansion soon
Ygdrassil
Small World
Descent
I had wrath of Ashardalon but it sucked

I hope to have Civilization and Eclipse soon.

Cool Thread!

LProtag

Dungeon Run is coming in on my friend's next order of games, looks pretty fun. Played the first D&D game but I wasn't really a fan of it.

As far as deckbuilders go, I've recently played Thunderstone and I like it a lot more than Dominion. Dominion never clicked with me for some reason.

But then you're a godless sleeving harpy!

I sleeve everything. Have you seen my magic decks? years of bridge shuffling has left them absolutely destroyed. Now that I don't play magic anymore, these cards are so beat up I can't even sell them for some of my money back

Miniature Market adding a reward program: http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rewards

They are often cheaper than Coolstuff and have free shipping as well. CSI has a reward system though that sometimes made it better to go with them but sometimes now... well anyways this is nice if you order lot of games from MM. Like CSI but I have to pay tax to them which makes me usually go to MM :(

Neverfade

I sleeve everything. Have you seen my magic decks? years of bridge shuffling has left them absolutely destroyed. Now that I don't play magic anymore, these cards are so beat up I can't even sell them for some of my money back

You'd regret it anyways. I sure did. Holy shit I was a fool. Thousands of dollars gone for a quick few hundred.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i have Airlines Europe arriving today. I've played Union Pacific a few times and liked it but its no longer in print. AE seems like it is a nice step up from Ticket to Ride. Plus it plays quick which is a nice plus when introducing games to non-gamers

It's a fun game for sure -- doesn't actually have tons in common with Ticket to Ride but superficially feels very similar, which is nice for casuals coming from TtR.

Anyone here play Yomi? I played some online matches against AI without really reading the rules. I like the concept but if I were to buy this game, I would most certainly buy the deluxe edition. How easy is it to teach? I would be in charge of teaching anyone I would want to play against.
Where have you played online? I actually own it but have barely skimmed the rules, which are a bit clunky (one-page rules then all the rules buried in a "FAQ") but the game is supposedly extremely simple.

There's just the two of us and we've already got, and enjoyed - Stratego, Game of Thrones LCG and Twilight Struggle, as well as Lost Cities.
Wow, you guys play a really wide variety of games. Let me recommend a few things since I also Game with Wife:

Innovation: Insanely fun with two. Light mediumweight in terms of complexity. It's really novel, feels like a light civbuilder with tableau-making at its core and tons of player interaction. Game can swing pretty wildly, but still very often rewards smart play (especially with two, more chaotic with 3-4) which I think is great with two.

Labyrinth: Depending on how comfortable you are with Twilight Struggle, this game is a step up in complexity with some excellent theming (just like TS) that uses all of the same base mechanics. I'm a big fan but unfortunately rarely get the chance to play given the time commitment (3-4 hours). Well worth it if you can swing that though.

I have to try Innovation with 2. So far have only played it with 4 people and each time they disliked the game because they found it to be just completely random chaos.

As far as deckbuilders go, I've recently played Thunderstone and I like it a lot more than Dominion. Dominion never clicked with me for some reason.
What!? Get out of here! There's no way that Thunderstone can be regarded as better than Dominion! That's just crazy talk.

Hyperbole aside, did you play base Thunderstone? That's my only exposure to the game. We played it a few times, and it just never achieved a better response from me than thinking that, although I appreciate that it tried to do something different with the Dominion formula, it ultimately succeeding in doing nothing but adding a bit of complexity that never proved to be the least bit rewarding. Instead of a tense race for the last precious Provinces as it was in Dominion, every game of Thunderstone yielded relieved sighs of people going, "oh thank God, finally, the Thunderstone. Someone get it and end this."

Still, it's better than Resident Evil. Oh God, Resident Evil. At least in regards to the base game, what an awful, ghastly experience. Thinking about that playthrough makes me want to kick puppies, and I love dogs.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Wow really? I never thought people had problems with shuffling.

Get sleeves so you can mash shuffle. Takes zero effort.

It's not really a matter of effort. It's just sort of tedious to shuffle my whole deck every 45 seconds. I was imagining a scenario where I just dropped my deck in the shuffler when my turn was over so I could get to looking at my hand immediately.
I used to play a lot of Magic. TII Tourneys and stuff even, back in the Invasion block era, and while I used sleeves I always sorta hated using them. I assume I still would :S

It's not really a matter of effort. It's just sort of tedious to shuffle my whole deck every 45 seconds. I was imagining a scenario where I just dropped my deck in the shuffler when my turn was over so I could get to looking at my hand immediately.
Online variants of Dominion will be right up your alley!

their official website, http://www.fantasystrike.com. I think you can simply play as guest if you don't want to sign up.
I played Yomi once. I don't know. I wasn't paying too close of attention at the time, and I was drinking, but it didn't really click with me. It wasn't something I refused to ever play again, but the owner of the game never attempted to bust it out again, and I can't say I'm altogether disappointed about that.

Don't mind me, though, as it may be a lot better than I'm giving it credit for.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey is right. If someone comes up with a legit shuffler that doesn't damage cards every eurogamer on earth will buy it. I would pay many money to never have to shuffle my RFTG or Ascension decks again. Dominion isn't really a big deal for me though.

LProtag

What!? Get out of here! There's no way that Thunderstone can be regarded as better than Dominion! That's just crazy talk.

Hyperbole aside, did you play base Thunderstone? That's my only exposure to the game. We played it a few times, and it just never achieved a better response from me than thinking that, although I appreciate that it tried to do something different with the Dominion formula, it ultimately succeeding in doing nothing but adding a bit of complexity that never proved to be the least bit rewarding. Instead of a tense race for the last precious Provinces as it was in Dominion, every game of Thunderstone yielded relieved sighs of people going, "oh thank God, finally, the Thunderstone. Someone get it and end this."

Still, it's better than Resident Evil. Oh God, Resident Evil. At least in regards to the base game, what an awful, ghastly experience. Thinking about that playthrough makes me want to kick puppies, and I love dogs.

Yeah, but I'm going to try the epic one as I hear that's supposed to be fun. I don't know, Dominion has always felt dry and every game I look around having no idea how everyone else is doing what they're doing and all of my clever strategies are amounting to nothing.

BattleMonkey is right. If someone comes up with a legit shuffler that doesn't damage cards every eurogamer on earth will buy it. I would pay many money to never have to shuffle my RFTG or Ascension decks again. Dominion isn't really a big deal for me though.
Just keep shuffling your cards and quit whining! I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but I like shuffling cards. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, back in the ol' days of Texas Hold 'Em being the go to game during its heyday, I always liked being the dealer after getting busted out.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Just keep shuffling your cards and quit whining! I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but I like shuffling cards. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, back in the ol' days of Texas Hold 'Em being the go to game during its heyday, I always liked being the dealer after getting busted out.
U CRAZY!!!

Hey Guys I don't ever post in here but I probably should. I am a huge Risk fan and play 2210 all the time. I noticed a new game at the local store Risk Legacy Have anyone of you played this? It seems crazy that you put permanent stickers on the board. I am really intrigued but kind of freaked out about making permanent changes to the game board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom