• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess you don't like Euros, eh?

I do, though think people might be getting a little bent out of shape for just me making a simple comment about a game they obviously like perhaps. As I tried saying, from some of the pics it looked really meh in some of the components simply and a bit messy. I'm sure the game will be great and I will love it once I get it, but just would like ot perhaps do some upgrading of components for visual appeal as many others often do on BGG. It's like getting new components to replace the simple euro ones found in Agricola just for the sake of making the game... pretty.

LProtag

Played Eclipse for the first time this past weekend. Fantastic game. I was playing the alien Moss like species. Our galaxy turned out to be rather oddly shaped. There was one two ways into my territory and the military species (I do not know their names) got trapped by sectors with two alien's each so he couldn't get going fast. I ended up creating a trade alliance with the 1st player player. He got the to center and took it over and at the point we all just decided to call the game at the point. Even though I had a pretty good score because each sector gave me an additional +1 vp. I love the mechanics in this game and the balancing act you have to do to manage your economy/research/production properly is well designed. I highly recommend this game if you like space themes and civ building.

Man, don't call a game of Eclipse! Sometimes some random person who no one expected to be in the lead wins.

A huge part of the game is trying to make everyone else think you're not a threat when you're in fact winning.

I have a group of four I play Catan with every Wednesday. We usually only play one game a night, but on two occasions they've called the game and surrendered when I pulled an immense lead at the beginning. We haven't had to do that for any other player yet.

The first time led to a rule change. We play with the Seafarers and Cities & Knights expansions. I managed to get an Alchemist progress card and traded the three on my Gold hex for a nine. I had a settlement and a city on that hex, so every time a nine was rolled I would get three cards of my choosing, which then happened a few times. I was so far ahead of everyone else there was nothing they could do, so they threw in the towel and we started a second game (which I won).

Since then we decided you can't use the Alchemist on a Gold hex.

but turning stuff into gold is like, an alchemist's primary duty in life. He'll forever be an empty shell of a man
Indeed.

We looked through the rule books to see if there was anything that would naturally prevent such a devastating strategy, but it seemed like a legal move (until we agreed to the new house rule).

I almost won a game of Munchkin the other day by being a level 9 Halfling, changing my race to Elf and then tricking the next player into letting me help him defeat a monster (he should have wondered why I was doing it free of charge).

Couldn't find anything in the rules that said the monster you defeat to go from 9 to 10 had to be yours, but since it was pretty sneaky I decided to stay level 9 and keep the game going. I won a turn later anyways by being a Cleric when Divine Intervention was drawn.

I almost won a game of Munchkin the other day by being a level 9 Halfling, changing my race to Elf and then tricking the next player into letting me help him defeat a monster (he should have wondered why I was doing it free of charge).

Couldn't find anything in the rules that said the monster you defeat to go from 9 to 10 had to be yours, but since it was pretty sneaky I decided to stay level 9 and keep the game going. I won a turn later anyways by being a Cleric when Divine Intervention was drawn.

I'm pretty sure the Elf win you mentioned is legal. It's Munchkin, the game promotes sneakiness and underhanded methods.

Cleric + Divine Intervention is a better way to win anyway.

Be careful talking about Munchkin... it's not well regarded 'round these parts.

XShagrath

I do, though think people might be getting a little bent out of shape for just me making a simple comment about a game they obviously like perhaps. As I tried saying, from some of the pics it looked really meh in some of the components simply and a bit messy. I'm sure the game will be great and I will love it once I get it, but just would like ot perhaps do some upgrading of components for visual appeal as many others often do on BGG. It's like getting new components to replace the simple euro ones found in Agricola just for the sake of making the game... pretty.
I'm not getting bent out of shape at all. I just don't need really nice plastic sculpts and stuff for my games anymore.

When I first got back into boardgames this summer, I was *all* about the Fantasy Flight, since they tend to have the nicest components and flashiest stuff. Since then, I've branched out, starting with Agricola. Now I can't wait to get more games with little wooden cubes! For me, it's turned into being all about how the actual game plays. As long as the components are functional, I'm completely fine with them. I don't have the time, money, or skill to make these "custom" gameboards and pieces that some of the BGG guys do.

Man, don't call a game of Eclipse! Sometimes some random person who no one expected to be in the lead wins.

A huge part of the game is trying to make everyone else think you're not a threat when you're in fact winning.

Thats how I won the game of eclipse, and also when i won my first time in the game of Game of Thrones.
People were to busy fighting each other while I was winning points in the shadows.

Phthisis

So I've been playing a ton of Civilization and Race for the Galaxy with my gf recently (like, a LOT).

And then today I was doing some YT watching to find other games like those two and came across some walkthroughs of a game I've always wanted to play: Twilight Imperium.

So gaming GAF, tell me everything I need to know about TI, because I am hovering over "Proceed to checkout" on Amazon. Everything I've read or heard from players of TI say it's the best board game they've ever played.

EDIT

Met some friends at Card Kingdom

Literally my favorite store of all time. I spent two nights in a row there when I was in Seattle for PAX. I keep telling Dan and Al that they need to open one in LA. Franchise that shit.

So I've been playing a ton of Civilization and Race for the Galaxy with my gf recently (like, a LOT).

And then today I was doing some YT watching to find other games like those two and came across some walkthroughs of a game I've always wanted to play: Twilight Imperium.

So gaming GAF, tell me everything I need to know about TI, because I am hovering over "Proceed to checkout" on Amazon. Everything I've read or heard from players of TI say it's the best board game they've ever played.

EDIT

Literally my favorite store of all time. I spent two nights in a row there when I was in Seattle for PAX. I keep telling Dan and Al that they need to open one in LA. Franchise that shit.

TI is a long, involved game. You and the other players have to be able to devote at least 6 hours to it. It's a good game that benefits from having at least one person know the game inside and out to answer questions that arise. That being said its a lot of fun if played correctly. The problem I've had the two times I've played it is I was sitting next to someone who treated the game like Risk or Axis and Allies and forwent his goals and just decided to attack me. He obviously lost but I wasn't close to winning either because I was too focused on stopping him from wiping me out of the game. The game plays more like a VP collecting game than a war game so focusing on war is going to ruin the game for yourself and whoever you are attacking.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jealous. My wife hated it. :(

Bummer! My wife loves RFTG but we played San Juan first. RFTG was probably one of our first five euro-style games. Even got my whole family into it one Christmas and we played like 50 hands over the holidays.

Phthisis

Bummer! My wife loves RFTG but we played San Juan first. RFTG was probably one of our first five euro-style games. Even got my whole family into it one Christmas and we played like 50 hands over the holidays.

Ha, I went home over the holidays with my gf and I picked up San Juan on a whim. We both like Race more, but the influences that Tom Lehmann drew from working on an early version of San Juan are very clear. San Juan is also a good gateway game for people who aren't big gamers, IMO.

Did Flashpoint Fire Rescue and Forbidden Island last night. Both two good coop games, FI being a much simpler game but very quick good fun. Flashpoint is real fun, has lot of potential, we won on the easy setting as it was our first game but it was largely luck as all the victims kept spawning on one side of the building, while the fire kept spawning on the opposite side so danger was minimal.

Zalasta

Letters from Whitechapel... have to wait on whatever kind of reprint is hopefully coming that I've been hearing about.

I personally enjoyed Letters from Whitechapel. It is like Scotland Yard in reverse.

Though not a pure deduction game, you might look into Nuns on the Run. There is also Sleuth. Last but not least is a brain burner known as Deduce or Die, which isn't a commercially distributed game, you have to make it yourself (but the rules are available on BGG).

I personally enjoyed Letters from Whitechapel. It is like Scotland Yard in reverse.

Though not a pure deduction game, you might look into Nuns on the Run. There is also Sleuth. Last but not least is a brain burner known as Deduce or Die, which isn't a commercially distributed game, you have to make it yourself (but the rules are available on BGG).
Letters plays more like a beefed up version of Scotland Yard not in reverse. Nuns on the Run is reverse Scotland Yard. Also if you like Letters from Whitechapel give Fury of Dracula a try. As I said earlier I think it's a vastly superior game to Letters.

Nuns on the Run was interesting but I ended up trading it away. I thought the mechanics were a bit clunky and it also required that people knew how to play really well on either side. The Novices needed to know when they were detectable also what were legal moves or else the game would break. On the other side if you had a player who didn't know how to play the Prioresses well the game was too easy for the Novices.

Small session report from last night:

Started off with 2 player Gears, Roadblocks mission. I'm 2/2 on Victories for this. We found it way too easy and it was bugging me, so I checked a rule just now and got a small one wrong. It's hard to tell if this would have affected the outcome though.

Then we played that weird Plants vs Zombies like card game I have, Zombiaki 2. This is my 1st time showing it to anyone besides my fiance. We had fun, I ended up losing as Zombies down to the final cards.

After that, we got a 3rd player and pulled out a new game I got for Xmas, Grimoire. The mechanics are surprisingly easy but I came out dead last. This will run smoother once we get to learn the spells. Also, I think this game works best with 4+; the more players, the more chaos. Our 3 player game went a little too cleanly.

Then our 3rd player pulled out a new game he got for Xmas, Fits. This is the Tetris wannabe. It's goofy and light, but perhaps a little too light.

More people are going to be in town this weekend, hoping to play Grimoire with 4-5 and hoping to get my new Telestrations on the table with 6. Perhaps Shootin Ladders Frag Fest will work its way in there, I have a feeling this game will be funny but once the humor wears off, will never be seen again.

XShagrath

CSI is now shipping Ora et Labora pre-orders and appear to have it in stock. Yay!
I'm watching this 25 minute walkthrough video on BGG right now. It's making me want to leave the office and run over to CSI when they open!

...And order placed! I'll have it in my hands in a couple of hours!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Whats the scoop on Ora et Labora?

I read some very early impressions that thought it was Le Havre, but not as good.

Flynn

Whats the scoop on Ora et Labora?

I read some very early impressions that thought it was Le Havre, but not as good.

I played a game at BGG and like it. It is certainly heady -- some real complexity in the trees for the item building. I think the big differentiation (besides the genius of the goods wheel) is the spacial element for your buildings.

That and the fact that there is true player interaction with the ability to steal other people's workers or use their buildings before they get a chance to. There's a lot of meaty new wrinkles on the Rosenberg formula with this one.

And it was one of those games that played long, felt fast and felt satisfying.

Any word on Dungeon Run? I've been seeing it around more and more and I'm always tempted to pick it up. Worth it?

any suggestions on the best expansion to pick up for Arkham Horror? The only we have is Miskatonic Horror.

Dunwich and Innsmouth are both great. I prefer Dunwich a bit more because the new Injury/Madness cards are a really welcome addition.

besada

Banned
Played Small World for the first time last night with three players. It took us a coupleofturnsto really figure it out, but after that we had a blast. We're looking forward to our next game night, so we can dig back into it.

Also played Chrononauts, which is more complex than Back to the Future. We like it so much we played three games in a row.

CSI is now shipping Ora et Labora pre-orders and appear to have it in stock. Yay!

Not mine, it's still waiting for Dungeon Petz and Vinhos. They better not give away my Ora et Labora and run out before the other two come in, or I'm going to be pretty pissed.

Unrelated: Have now played a couple games of Kingdom Builder. What a nice little game. Pretty interesting seeing the strategy change based on the locations/scoring cards in use.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Not mine, it's still waiting for Dungeon Petz and Vinhos. They better not give away my Ora et Labora and run out before the other two come in, or I'm going to be pretty pissed.

Unrelated: Have now played a couple games of Kingdom Builder. What a nice little game. Pretty interesting seeing the strategy change based on the locations/scoring cards in use.

They literally hold the copy in stock in a pile and wait for your others to come in. That is why they charge at the time of order.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Can I get some opinions on Arkham Horror house rules? Specifically the number of clues needed to seal a gate. I've seen lots of people say to play 4, and 5 does seem a bit hard from my minimal experience since getting the game. I'd like to hear what people have to say.

Keasar

I got Eclipse and Twilight Imperium as Christmas gifts this year to my friends delight. So yeah, we sat down and played Twilight Imperium during new years eve and holy crap did that take long.

I was the only one who had read the rules for both games and despite my warnings, my friends wanted to play TI because "It had a box that looks like something you carry fireworks in", so we sat down I had to slowly explain the rules for them. 7 hours later, we still weren't done with the game and had to stop because people had to head home. While the game went slowly because of having only 1 player knowing the rules, we still had alot of fun. I loved the political aspects of the game and playing the Hacan race (the trading lion people), I especially enjoyed being able to hold control over the players trading and having the extra amount of cash to influence my fellow players. The amount of components that was included in the box was a bit overwhelming, and when unpacked and separated from its frames, its total mass was half the box instead of the whole gigantic box. Kinda wish they would have included extra folded paper boxes or something to store components in.

All in all, it was a enjoyable game, just follow the peoples advice here on forcing the others to read up on the rules before playing and it should go much more smoothly then it did for us. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Can I get some opinions on Arkham Horror house rules? Specifically the number of clues needed to seal a gate. I've seen lots of people say to play 4, and 5 does seem a bit hard from my minimal experience since getting the game. I'd like to hear what people have to say.

How many people are you playing with? I've found that base Arkham if played correctly (challenging to be fair) doesn't really require house rules unless people have read way too much BGG strategy and spoiled the game for themselves. You'll come out with a roughly 50% win rate with 3-4 players.

Karak

I got Eclipse and Twilight Imperium as Christmas gifts this year to my friends delight. So yeah, we sat down and played Twilight Imperium during new years eve and holy crap did that take long.

I was the only one who had read the rules for both games and despite my warnings, my friends wanted to play TI because "It had a box that looks like something you carry fireworks in", so we sat down I had to slowly explain the rules for them. 7 hours later, we still weren't done with the game and had to stop because people had to head home. While the game went slowly because of having only 1 player knowing the rules, we still had alot of fun. I loved the political aspects of the game and playing the Hacan race (the trading lion people), I especially enjoyed being able to hold control over the players trading and having the extra amount of cash to influence my fellow players. The amount of components that was included in the box was a bit overwhelming, and when unpacked and separated from its frames, its total mass was half the box instead of the whole gigantic box. Kinda wish they would have included extra folded paper boxes or something to store components in.

All in all, it was a enjoyable game, just follow the peoples advice here on forcing the others to read up on the rules before playing and it should go much more smoothly then it did for us. :p

Ya such an amazing amazing game. Probably one of my favorites of all time after Talisman.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
How many people are you playing with? I've found that base Arkham if played correctly (challenging to be fair) doesn't really require house rules unless people have read way too much BGG strategy and spoiled the game for themselves. You'll come out with a roughly 50% win rate with 3-4 players.

3 or 4 players mostly, maybe an occasional 2 or 1 if I get bored.

What I really love about board gaming is how with the good games, I totally don't mind going back and playing them, no matter how much I have before. Ticket to Ride is a great example. I've played the shit out of TtR, various boards and maps, expansion, base, whatever. If I'm getting together for board games and that gets suggested, I'm totally cool with it.

Hmm... $30 credit on Amazon! Suggestions? I was thinking of picking up Citadels. Just got Stone Age in the mail. Played it New Year's Day, and loved it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Can't speak for the board game but Elder Sign on Android was lots of fun. I really want FFG to come out with an asynchronous Blood Bowl Team Manager -- would be god damn amazing but I'm sure licensing and other reasons make that a pipe dream.

XShagrath

Had another big game day yesterday with flashburn. Played seven games, lost all seven! My record is astonishing!

Ascension: Storm of Souls - This was laid out on the table when I got there. I don't really know what to think of Ascension. I've played it half a dozen times now (at least), and it just seems so random. I know there's some strategy involved (not that I'm the biggest strategist), but there's also a shitload of luck as to what cards come out. If you don't get some banishing (trashing) cards quick, you can get left behind pretty fast. We ended up playing twice, since there's a fair amount of setup, and of course, I lost both games.

Innovation - Been a while since I got this on the table, and I still absolutely adore this game. Even though it tends to be fairly chaotic, I love the multitude of choices and that every game is drastically different. I had a chance in the first game, but I wasn't thinking and did a dogma that ended up giving a good card I had to flashburn. He already had more achievements than me and ran away to victory on the first game. During the second game, I got off to an early lead, and then he got a demand card that allowed him to transfer a top-card with a castle from my board to his score pile. I really had no way to block, and my board quickly diminished to just two piles. :( During the middle ages, I started to make a comeback and was scoring points at a rather rapid rate. However, he was gaining faster and I lost out yet again.

Dungeon Petz - This one is really interesting. It was the first time playing for both of us, so our first round or two took a little longer than normal. Once we got the rules down, we didn't really need to refer to the rulebook much at all, except for some artifacts that are unique. The game plays well and everything seems to make sense. That being said, that 60-90 minutes on the box is a goddamned lie! It could be that we both suffer from AP, but we easily took 2-2.5 hours (approx). The game is pretty brutal during the part where you have to do upkeep on your pet(z), and there would be a ton of swapping cards around to get the best combination between 2-3 pets. Pretty insane game, and will definitely play it again. Oh yeah, did I mention I lost?

Ora & Labora - Picked this up at CSI earlier this week and was really looking forward to playing it. Punched the boards on Thursday (not the best quality, had to use a boxknife) and read through the rules. Seemed easy enough. This game is absolutely fucking bonkers! Going from Agricola to this was a huge jump up in complexity. Not that the rules are hard or anything, but just comes down to the sheer amount of different resources you need to manage. The two player version is really odd, in that it doesn't really have an end condition. We were going over 2 hours (again, AP), and we didn't make it to their arbitrary end condition (one building left to buy), so we cut it off at the normal 3-4 player endgame. Flashburn thought I was stomping him the entire game since I got stone pretty early and had built a shitload more buildings than him. However, he had an extra plot/district that he built the castle and one other high-scoring building on and that ended up giving him the win.

Famiglia - It was getting kind of late and the other games we had out were going to take way too long. I suggested we play this one, as it had been a while. A nice quick little game that can get rather crazy swapping cards around near the end game. It was extremely close, and he ended up winning by getting the very last card in the game!

I think next week, we've got Civilization, (hopefully) LOTR:LCG, and who knows what else.

Got Telestations and Grimoire to the table over the weekend. Grimoire was well received, but wow at how different the jump from 3 to 5 players is. I think the sweet spot is 4, but I really like the game nonetheless.

Telestations was a runaway hit. We tossed the scoring system out the window which is better but I found surprising because we're all hardcore gamers. A lot of people were hoping for user pick blanks on the cards, so we just started doing rounds where we don't even draw cards and everyone just does user pick.

Damn those markers are inky and the erasers are shitty. I'm going to see about getting fine tipped markers and actual erasers rather than the little wipes they give you. How to fit that stuff in the box though, hmm..

I also played BSG for the first time, loved it! The humans were doing really well for probably 60% of the game but the 2 Cylons revealed and brought the thunder. Humans were 1 jump away from winning, actually we only needed 1 crisis card with the jump icon on it to be able to jump away to victory. Super close.

joelseph

Big game night last night. Warmed up with 7 Wonders, then a quick game of BSG w/ Exodus xpac. Then finished with a buttload of drunken The Resistance. Love them deception games!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Got my latest bulk order from www.fungamescafe.com , got everything punched out and bagged. Now I just have to read thru all the rules and get a couple games going.

Picked up:
7 Wonders - seems everyone says this is a great 2 player card based game.. I like dominion and RFTG..seemed like a no brainer
Ad Astra - like the sound of a game that's got a bit of a Puerto-Rico meets catan mechanics..two of my favs
Small World - Looks cool and all the reviews seem like it would be fun.like that they have 2,3,4,5 player board configurations built in.
Pandemic - coop light game looks fun for trying to get a couple non gamers to try something and not feel as intimidated.
Wits & Wagers - realized I don't have any party games for lots of people, couples teams ect
Times up: Title Recall - same as above.

Since getting a kindle and audible account decided to move my books to the closet and bring out the boardgames to the bookcase to make it easier to get to.

My modest collection.
pic1199203.jpg

If your Canadian Fungamescafe ships from Mississauga and their prices seem pretty good I've ordered 3 large($200+) orders from them over the years since 2008 and have never had a problems.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Got my latest bulk order from www.fungamescafe.com , got everything punched out and bagged. Now I just have to read thru all the rules and get a couple games going.

Picked up:
7 Wonders - seems everyone says this is a great 2 player card based game.. I like dominion and RFTG..seemed like a no brainer

Hmmm 2P? afaik you really need 4 to make it work, but I'm sure it's OK with 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom