• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Guys any Descent players here who also plan to take a look at the second edition? I am really interested in it and would love to hear your opinions once it's out or the rules are released.

Punched mine on Saturday. I don't really mind the thickness of the boards at all; the ones they provided are perfectly functional (and beautifully printed).

The chits, though... Yeah. I was pretty lucky compared to some on BGG, only two sheets of resource chits out of five had significant punching problems, maybe a dozen total chits, and I got most of them out with minimal tearing. I had no offset problems. BUT, even so, that much tearing was pretty crappy for such an expensive production. Lookout needs to check their QA.

For the cost of the game, I think pretty much all of the components are pretty lackluster. The player boards are pretty thin, and warped already. The super thin player aids that you need to cut yourself. Only including 1 spinner per board, so you need to reassemble them if you play with different numbers of players. And yeah, the chits. The actual manufacturing costs of that game was probably well under $5.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So a friend bought pandemic a few weeks ago and we've been play that quite a lot recently. Though a good game, it seems to be very predictable? Seems like if you've played it a few times, you've pretty much seen all it has to offer.

That said, does anyone ever actually eradicate diseases in it? We've yet to ever do that. Seems if you take time to do it you usually end up losing to outbreaks from another disease.

I played my first five games thinking you had to eradicate all 4 to win, not just cure. And we won 3 of those I think.

Xater

So a friend bought pandemic a few weeks ago and we've been play that quite a lot recently. Though a good game, it seems to be very predictable? Seems like if you've played it a few times, you've pretty much seen all it has to offer.

That said, does anyone ever actually eradicate diseases in it? We've yet to ever do that. Seems if you take time to do it you usually end up losing to outbreaks from another disease.

Play with random roles, and add more outbreaks. If that is still too samey for you get the excellent expansion for new disease fun and more roles. Personally Pandemic is one of my favorite games. Me and my friends can#t get enough of it.

LProtag

I'm on a neverending quest to find the right 6 people that I can get together long enough to play a game of Game of Thrones with. I think I have 4 (including me), but I just need the last two...

Guys any Descent players here who also plan to take a look at the second edition? I am really interested in it and would love to hear your opinions once it's out or the rules are released.

I'm looking forward to it, I'd sure like to hear more. I hope it's got a Road to Legend-esque system in the main box as I can't get RtL as it's super expensive due to being out of print...

Phthisis

I have my Quarriors expansion box out for delivery today! I Enjoy that game so I am hoping this expansion is good. [Like the Wizards Tower is for Castle Panic]

It's good and adds a nice new mechanic, but in order to make the most of it, you'll want to make sure about half the board is made up of expansion cards, otherwise there's no reason to purchase those dice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Play with random roles, and add more outbreaks. If that is still too samey for you get the excellent expansion for new disease fun and more roles. Personally Pandemic is one of my favorite games. Me and my friends can#t get enough of it.

And get the expansion. So much variety with the new roles and instants.

Are people playing right though? As in you can only exchange the card of the city you are in and you both have to be there unless you have a special ability?

MichaelBD

I am dying for the BB expansions. Really can't wait. And actually looking forward to the FAQ which is supposed to clear up a couple of lingering corner-case questions.
Out of curiosity, what lingering questions? Now of course I could be playing stuff wrong, but I am thinking that BBTM is a pretty straightforward game, unlike most FFG stuff (and to offer some perspective, my game collection is padded with lots of FFG stuff--I just happen to like the way they make games).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Out of curiosity, what lingering questions? Now of course I could be playing stuff wrong, but I am thinking that BBTM is a pretty straightforward game, unlike most FFG stuff (and to offer some perspective, my game collection is padded with lots of FFG stuff--I just happen to like the way they make games).

Mostly stuff about the correct way to trigger multiple effects that conflict. Also I hope they clear up Guard a little bit to make the dwarves suck 5% less.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Exactly how we play it. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say I find the game easy to win, but the base game doesn't get shaken up much. I seem to do the exact same thing every game, where other games it's shaken up a lot. Maybe just cause it's a co-op game.

Oh sorry that wasn't in reference to you, what actually made me think of it was Emerson who said 3/5 first games he eradicated all diseases. Very impressive if on the up and up!

For the pros though, there's hard mode with the extra epidemic, and then the expansion adds tons of crazy shit. I think the expansion should really be a requirement for people who've played more than five games. So fun.

Hey guys any recommendations on fun 2 players games? me and the wife are just starting to get into this stuff and would love some 2 player games.

the only one we currently have is Forbidden Island and that is pretty fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey guys any recommendations on fun 2 players games? me and the wife are just starting to get into this stuff and would love some 2 player games.

Beyond whatever anyone may recommend here, be sure to check out the Gaming for Couples section of the OP.

In addition to that, of slightly more recent vintage I'm really digging, A Few Acres of Snow, Innovation, and all-time classic Dominion.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Oh sorry that wasn't in reference to you, what actually made me think of it was Emerson who said 3/5 first games he eradicated all diseases. Very impressive if on the up and up!

For the pros though, there's hard mode with the extra epidemic, and then the expansion adds tons of crazy shit. I think the expansion should really be a requirement for people who've played more than five games. So fun.

Yeah, we were playing by all of those rules listed there except the exact specifics of victory condition. All of those victories were 2 player games where we had the Medic and one of the better other roles. We chose randomly but got lucky. The luck hasn't held up as much since the beginning stint.

Sticking with the current topic, Pandemic. I play it with my girlfriend all the time and we absolutely love it.

Pillars of the Earth: Builder's Duel - Player's are trying to complete their building first. You have to collect resources and convert raw materials into workable building materials. The game has an interesting mechanic for choosing actions and it's fun and easy to play.

Dominion gets the most 2 player play for me. It's really fantastic. Carcassonne too. Though I probably own fewer games than most here, they're fairly common recommendations (which is why I own them :p). I'm about to buy Memoir '44 which is a highly regarded 2 player game, so look that up too!

Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride and Alhambra (although it features a dummy 3rd player) worked for me & my wife on the beginning.

LProtag

anyone here play Dungeon Run? Thoughts? How about game length with the amount of players you had?

I played 2 games, I think I need to play more. It's very easy for the favor of the game to tip in one player's direction and for them to basically be unstoppable, especially if they get some really useful powers.

Kinda turned me off a little bit, but it's a fun romp.

Slacker

Anyone here play Caylus? The iPad (and iPhone too I think) version was just submitted to Apple so it should be available in the next week or so. I've heard good things so I think it's worth my five bucks. Any opinions here?

Jon

Just found out one of the guys in my weekly Catan group got Arkham Horror for Christmas.

Can't wait to try it out.

Man, you have a weekly Catan group? I wish my friends could play that often! Right now we've been hung up on finally trying Traders and Barbarians, but every time we get ready to play it, it looks too imposing and we just play Cities and Knights instead.

protonion

TSCHAK! seems to be a really well made, light and fun card game. Dicetower had only good things to say about it.

veSMA.jpg

Man, you have a weekly Catan group? I wish my friends could play that often! Right now we've been hung up on finally trying Traders and Barbarians, but every time we get ready to play it, it looks too imposing and we just play Cities and Knights instead.

Yep, the four of us play Catan every Wednesday (unless there's a holiday or at least two people can't make it). We've been doing it for about a year now.

We play with the Seafarers and Cities & Knights expansions, usually just building a random board (and tweaking the result to be somewhat balanced) instead of trying any scenarios.

Last month I had a pretty great comeback - I was in fourth place with 7 VP (others had 9 to 11 VP) but took two golden archers in one turn and on my next built a settlement and played a Merchant to win.

If you guys can handle Cities and Knights you can handle Traders and Barbarians.

panda21

I'd recommend Ticket to Ride Nordic countries (its 2-3 player), and maybe Elder Sign (co-op).

besada

Banned
I've decided the 1910 expansion for TtR is imperative. The cards are so well made and so bright and beautiful. I didn't know I hated the default cards until I played with the new ones. And the additional short haul routes are handy.

On my fourth game of Small World. Anyone have suggestions as to which expansions are most worthwhile?

Just a heads up to AstroLad/Flynn that it looks like there's pretty much a 0% chance I'll make it to GDC this year. Lots of people from work wanting to go, and as the newb at the office, I'm not likely to get a slot.

Should put me in decent shape for next year though, as they won't send the same people two years in a row :)

Maybe see you guys at PAX?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just a heads up to AstroLad/Flynn that it looks like there's pretty much a 0% chance I'll make it to GDC this year. Lots of people from work wanting to go, and as the newb at the office, I'm not likely to get a slot.

Should put me in decent shape for next year though, as they won't send the same people two years in a row :)

Maybe see you guys at PAX?

Bummer. There is a modest chance I make PAX though because I know a group of guys from work who go fairly regularly.

I've decided the 1910 expansion for TtR is imperative. The cards are so well made and so bright and beautiful. I didn't know I hated the default cards until I played with the new ones. And the additional short haul routes are handy.

On my fourth game of Small World. Anyone have suggestions as to which expansions are most worthwhile?

You really can't go wrong with any of them. If I had to pick one I'd say, Be Not Afraid... It comes with a tray to hold that expansion plus the other two mini expansions. The most unnecessary expansion is the Tales and Legends, the one that's a deck of cards. It changes the game enough to take away from its simplicity.

Zalasta

Darn, I was invited to a 3-day gaming weekend (the guy got all the new stuff like Eclipse, Ora, etc), but I'm heading overseas this Friday so I regretfully had to decline :( So bummed, I haven't played a game since November!

I know you have your own game group, but BGG has a huge presence in TX, and if you're interested in learning new stuff that you can in turn introduce to your friends, I'd totally recommend seeking out the locals. You should also attend BGG.con if you don't already. :) Oh, and a happy belated birthday to you (it was a week ago right?)

Got a copy of Eaten by Zombies finally. Seems interesting, really like the art, and got to love that little ammo box container it comes in. More DBG need more steamlines packaging like this for card games.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Played gric last night. 3 stone room, 3 fields, 3 family members, 1 pig, no stables, 9 empty spots. And I nearly won.

Most card heavy strategy ever

Got a copy of Eaten by Zombies finally. Seems interesting, really like the art, and got to love that little ammo box container it comes in. More DBG need more steamlines packaging like this for card games.
It's an interesting game. It took me a few games to get into it but I do like it. The one thing that sets this game apart from other deck builders is you are really just building a big enough deck in the beginning in order to last longer than your neighbors. Half the game is not a deck building but a deck losing game. It's an interesting take on the genre and takes some getting used to to really get into it.

You're right, the artwork is fantastic and I love the box as well.

besada

Banned
I know you have your own game group, but BGG has a huge presence in TX, and if you're interested in learning new stuff that you can in turn introduce to your friends, I'd totally recommend seeking out the locals. You should also attend BGG.con if you don't already. :) Oh, and a happy belated birthday to you (it was a week ago right?)

Indeed it was, thanks. I'll look into the BGG group. I've become pretty addicted to board gaming recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom