• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I was reading up on the Caylus IOS faq and it says this

What about multiplayer mode?
Caylus provides local pass & play mode (Hotseat) and online mode (asynchronous).

What is asynchronous online mode mean?

I'm hoping to just be able to hop in to some online games realtime or is it more a turn by turn play by post kinda thing(where you wait for the other players to login and make their move)

Jharp

This thread saddens me... all me and my bros play is Risk. We all got into 40k for one summer but promptly stopped, and the most hardcore thing we've played since was Space Risk, which was fucking tits, but still...

I was reading up on the Caylus IOS faq and it says this

What is asynchronous online mode mean?

I'm hoping to just be able to hop in to some online games realtime or is it more a turn by turn play by post kinda thing(where you wait for the other players to login and make their move)

Asynchronous multiplayer actually ideal for the iOS device. All it means is that you take your turn and can close out the app, when it's your turn the app will notify you.

This thread saddens me... all me and my bros play is Risk. We all got into 40k for one summer but promptly stopped, and the most hardcore thing we've played since was Space Risk, which was fucking tits, but still...

all you need is a good introductory game and a person to bring it to the table. someone like... YOU (cue dramatic music)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Asynchronous multiplayer actually ideal for the iOS device. All it means is that you take your turn and can close out the app, when it's your turn the app will notify you.

I guess that would be cool for playing on the run so you don't have to commit to an hour or 2 to finish the game..actually would be great at work :)
I'll be picking it up as soon as its offically out

Anyone on here taking part on the boardgaming.com beta? I just started on the site and have been really enjoying thus far. Far more navigable than BGG. I think it has some real potential long term.

I can send invitations to anyone who wants one.

Also, I have a sealed copy of Dominion and an unplayed copy of Rivals for Catan up for trade if anyone wants them!

Neverfade

Anyone on here taking part on the boardgaming.com beta? I just started on the site and have been really enjoying thus far. Far more navigable than BGG. I think it has some real potential long term.

BGG is getting an overhaul sometime this quarter, Add on 11 years of collected information and a super niche market and...well... good luck to these boardgaming.com guys I guess, they'll need it.

Okay, so I just saw a dicetower review of Mage Knight and that game instantly caught my interest. Any who have played it and wanna share thoughts on it?

I'll let you know when it doesn't cost so damn much.

BGG is getting an overhaul sometime this quarter, Add on 11 years of collected information and a super niche market and...well... good luck to these boardgaming.com guys I guess, they'll need it.

I'll let you know when it doesn't cost so damn much.

FLGS owner offered for me to take it home to learn the rules so I could teach it to him. Too bad school started again and I won't have time to do it. FUUUUUUUU

I believe Totally Rad Show just did a video review of Dungeon Run this week. Check it out, maybe that will give you a better idea.

I always go to the dicetower video reviews when available. I love the TotallyRadShow (watch every episode) but dicetower gives a quick breakdown on how to play which I find very useful

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/9329/dungeon-run/miami-dice-020-dungeon-run

Awesome guys, thanks! I hadn't even heard of TotallyRadShow somehow, so that's a great resource!

MichaelBD

Played a game of 3 player BBTM last night. For the past couple games I've been using the abbreviated season rules, which cuts two weeks from the season and starts each player with a drafted Star Player, a drafted Staff upgrade card, and a random team upgrade card. The two games I played with the standard rules both felt like they went too long.

What I'm finding is though it's nice starting with some improvements the shorter season makes the development of your team secondary and the rush for points primary (if that makes sense), which I think takes a lot out of the game's intent.

I'm hoping as people get familiar with the game the pace will pick up enough where it won't feel long with a full season. I have to think once everyone is familiar with the upgrades you won't need to explain what every card does and instead can just announce "I have a tackling coach" and move on.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
so was reading this thread on BBG
pssst-caylus-for-ios-is-coming
and it says its out tomorrow the 16th(or today for those down under)

Interestingly the devs say they aren't going to release it on Android due to to high a piracy rate on the Android platform vs IOS..I've not heard about this..is piracy really overwelming on Android or is this just more a perception issue?

Neverfade

Interestingly the devs say they aren't going to release it on Android due to to high a piracy rate on the Android platform vs IOS..I've not heard about this..is piracy really overwelming on Android or is this just more a perception issue?

I'm sure they have access to some data to lead them to that decision.

TwiztidElf

Caylus is out on the Australian app store. I've never played it before. I played through a 2 player game against the AI, and I really like it. The interface is really nice.

Neverfade

Been eyeing Dungeon Lords and Pets (I refuse to spell it with a Z), but I was burnt real effin' hard on some other Chvatil games.... This is the gamble I hate!

Flynn

At GDC last year the Angry Birds guy said they couldn't sell apps on Android because there was too much piracy. That's why Angry Birds is free/add supported there.

besada

Banned
Played the new Ticket to Ride India map with four players this evening. It gets incredibly tight with four. I thought there might be blows exchanged.

I also finally got to play on one of the big maps for Small World. We had four people, and I really enjoyed the increased complexity that comes with more players. I wish it had more, not less turns, though. We still had unconquered territories on the map at the end of the game.

Thunderstone Facebook app is up:
http://apps.facebook.com/thunderstone/#_=_

This needs to hurry up and get released for iPad.

Never played the real game before, but I just spent like an hour playing on/off, it's pretty fun. I still don't get some of the mechanics. I can't figure out what determines when I can level up a card (besides needing XP of course). Same goes with being able to buy higher level cards. Haven't figured out the strategy yet, as I lost my first two games against the AI.

Thunderstone Facebook app is up:
http://apps.facebook.com/thunderstone/#_=_

This needs to hurry up and get released for iPad.

Never played the real game before, but I just spent like an hour playing on/off, it's pretty fun. I still don't get some of the mechanics. I can't figure out what determines when I can level up a card (besides needing XP of course). Same goes with being able to buy higher level cards. Haven't figured out the strategy yet, as I lost my first two games against the AI.

Well in the real thunderstone game, you just spend xp from killing creatures by paying the up cost in the bottom corner during a village purchase.

Well in the real thunderstone game, you just spend xp from killing creatures by paying the up cost in the bottom corner during a village purchase.

Maybe I just wasn't able to level up during a dungeon visit then. What about buying the higher level cards from the village? Do you need to have one of those higher level cards in your hand already? One time I had like 14 money and I couldn't buy an higher level cleric, even though I already had one that level in my deck.

Flynn

Maybe I just wasn't able to level up during a dungeon visit then. What about buying the higher level cards from the village? Do you need to have one of those higher level cards in your hand already? One time I had like 14 money and I couldn't buy an higher level cleric, even though I already had one that level in my deck.

The heroes are stacked in order. You can upgrade them, skipping order, using XP, but otherwise you need to buy the little guys first.

When you do a village turn, you take a hero from your hand paying the upgrade cost to take the next level of that hero out of its stack and put it in your discard, while removing old hero from the game.

How does one even access the math trade on BGG..that site is such a clusterfuck when it comes to navigation.

Math Trade Announcement Thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/218951/math-trade-announcements-thread

This thread is where people who run the math trades announce them. They will typically link you to the geek list where you can add your items to the trade as well as the discussion thread and request lists.

This is the latest Math Trade for US only:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/103242/ringing-in-the-new-year-january-2012-u-s-only-m

Here is a list of video tutorials for Math Trades:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/568078/math-trade-video-tutorials

When you do a village turn, you take a hero from your hand paying the upgrade cost to take the next level of that hero out of its stack and put it in your discard, while removing old hero from the game.

Ah okay, that makes sense. The short tutorial never explained this.

I really must not buy another deckbuilder. I already own Dominion + almost every expansion, Ascension, Nightfall Martial Law/Blood Country, Eaten By Zombies, Eminent Domain, and I'll be getting that upcoming Warcraft deckbuilder for sure. I kind of want Core Worlds too. Must... resist... No more deckbuilders!

Switters

Things I picked up within the last couple of weeks:

Gears of War - A super co operative tactical crawl through modular tiles. Enemy A.I. is very solid though punishing if you don't have a plan or don't stick with your team. Great Presentation, solid mechanics, EXCELLENT minis and sturdy components. $50

Race for the Galaxy - Euro solitaire with 4 players. I hear the expansions bring more variety and interaction, but at this point I found it somewhat boring. Yet, I like it and really enjoyed the intuitive game mechanics. Will have to play a few more hands to get everything out of it. Great price.

SUPER DUNGEON EXPLORE - I like dungeon crawls. I like theme. I could not rest until I had this game. I didn't care if it was any good or not. I was happily surprised to find a very engaging, entertaining, and visually outstanding game on my table. The mechanic is the typical Overlord vs. Heroes, only this time the Overlord isn't overpowered and can actually try his hardest to win without taking the fun away from the heroes. The heroes power up ridiculously quick and move fast around the board. The "Consul" has some great creeps to work with until late game when the power hitters come out and make the Angry Bear (yes, one of the heroes is any angry bear) the Crying Bear. For 80-90 bucks you get a ton of minis and some beautifully rendered components. Seriously, even without the minis painted, having everything on the table is an absolute eyegasm. KAWAII MINIS! My only gripes are that the instructions are not clearly explained in the relevant places and can skip around worse than a 40k Codex. The other was that the cards are some shitty, thin stock and needed to be immediately sleeved.
Oh, and other people mention the 3 hour prep time to assemble the minis, which happened to be my favorite part. As a mini enthusiast I minded not at all.

Earth Reborn - I wasn't too sure about this game until a review said it was the board game equivalent X-COM and Jagged Alliance. After playing through the first tutorial I'm inclined to agree. The box says it's a 4 player game, but it could easily be played with two people experienced with skirmish games. It's too soon to tell, but I think I'm in love.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played my first game of Arkham Horror yesterday. Cool game, though it went pretty long since two of us were learning it. We went up against Azathoth--was a bit rough at first with a lot of monster surges, and we came close to losing on open gates, but things got a lot easier once we sealed our first two gates. Ended up with just enough clues to seal the final gate for a win. Good times.

We played a game after lunch too believe it or not haha. Had an even tougher go this time since it was just three investigators but once again we managed to barely eke out of the midgame (had to sneak around the board because all the monsters were buffed by the GOO and other effects) and once you get that third gate sealed it's mostly containment and autopilot from there.

Want to play with Dunwich next time since we were 2/2 yesterday -- was gonna try it out last night but I was just too foggy on the rules.

Played a bunch of Innovation this weekend as well. Tried one game with the expansion, but I think we're just still more into base. Expansion is super random when you only have 2-3 because you lose almost half the base-game cards.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
My Blood Bowl TM came in today and I played a 2 and 4 player game of that. Damn fun game.

Also picked up the Lurker at the Threshold expansion for Arkham. Haven't played it yet but looking forward to doing so.

Played Troyes this weekend and really enjoyed it, after the learning pains of the first game. We played Chrononauts, but the other players hated the chaos of it (a running theme with my group). I enjoyed it. Pandemic, Dominion, and Stone Age were all fun as well. A great gaming weekend was had!

Ah okay, that makes sense. The short tutorial never explained this.

I really must not buy another deckbuilder. I already own Dominion + almost every expansion, Ascension, Nightfall Martial Law/Blood Country, Eaten By Zombies, Eminent Domain, and I'll be getting that upcoming Warcraft deckbuilder for sure. I kind of want Core Worlds too. Must... resist... No more deckbuilders!

Aside from Dominion which I already own, which is your favourite you'd recommend?

Lttp on Dominion, but wow what a fun game. So many different cards to keep the game fresh and fun, I see lots of room for strategy, although forgoing action cards in favor of money and victory points seem to do the trick most of the time. It's definitely joining Settlers of Catan, Arkham Horror, and Bang! as one of our gaming staples.

MichaelBD

I played my first game of A Few Acres of Snow today (friend came over with it). If anyone is interested in playing some games on yucata (and doesn't mind some long moves on my part), my user name is MichaelBD.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Lttp on Dominion, but wow what a fun game. So many different cards to keep the game fresh and fun, I see lots of room for strategy, although forgoing action cards in favor of money and victory points seem to do the trick most of the time. It's definitely joining Settlers of Catan, Arkham Horror, and Bang! as one of our gaming staples.
It's like everyone I know picked up Dominion for Christmas, myself included.

It's fun. I seem to do alright against my friends mainly because they get too fixated on buying action cards. They don't buy enough currency or they litter their deck with coppers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Can you really call it lunch at 4 PM? :p

Gluttons for punishment, huh. Just how much does Dunwich crank up the difficulty, anyway?

Not a ton actually -- just the right amount. It was more the additional layers of rules and accounting that I wanted to stay away from.

It's like everyone I know picked up Dominion for Christmas, myself included.

It's fun. I seem to do alright against my friends mainly because they get too fixated on buying action cards. They don't buy enough currency or they litter their deck with coppers.

You realize how not fun dominion is anymore when you can win more than 50% of the time my macro buying treasure cards.

Sprinkle in any action cards that help you get more treasure cards along the way.

Completely killed the game for me. I have done this playstyle of treasures only and my record has been something like 23-11 in various 3,4,5 player games. Everyone else tried action card combos. I had no fun but I won lolol.

Oh, and if you play with Prosperity, it becomes even more effective with the Platinum and Colony cards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You should play on isotropic against ranked people if you ever get too cocky about your Dominion skills or think you have the game solved.

I don't play on isotrope anymore nor do I use Big Money though. :p

Jenga

Banned
For the time being my board gaming group is just down to 3 people (including myself)

Any good games with just 3 (and the occasional 4th)?

Was thinking of picking up Blood Bowl or maybe even Chaos in the Old World

Neverfade

For the time being my board gaming group is just down to 3 people (including myself)

Any good games with just 3 (and the occasional 4th)?

Was thinking of picking up Blood Bowl or maybe even Chaos in the Old World

Chaos is playable with 3, but it is certainly designed with 4 in mind.

Ri'Orius

Alright, I've finally gotten around to checking out Yucata, and it seems pretty sweet. I've played some games with the GF, but I'm looking for more. How do I get in on the GAF action? Yucata username is RiOrius.

Alright, I've finally gotten around to checking out Yucata, and it seems pretty sweet. I've played some games with the GF, but I'm looking for more. How do I get in on the GAF action? Yucata username is RiOrius.

What games are you enjoying at the moment.
I'll send you a few invites.
I'm in the UK so might just be a couple of turns a day depending on when we overlap.

Here's the list of everyone from GAF that ever played on there. I'm certainly still active, and AstroLad and SuperRobot. MrMan and Triphibian too. I have been wanting to send some invites out, but am unsure who still plays.

But you can invite me to nearly anything (Down with Luna!)

GAF Yucata Usernames:
Artadius
BigAT
carno
Chifty
Choodi
CzarTim
eznark
fenners
JeremyH (GAF: Unison)
joeyjoeshabadoo
Mashing
MrMan2k7
Neverfade
platypotamus
Seth
sneaky77
StoOgE
stump
Triphibian (GAF: Flynn)
Yaboosh

Ri'Orius

What games are you enjoying at the moment.
I'll send you a few invites.
I'm in the UK so might just be a couple of turns a day depending on when we overlap.

So far I've tried Thunderstone and Carcassonne (both of which I've played IRL, although I hadn't played the variant of Carc that Yucata is using), as well as one game of Arona. Oh, and I've played one turn of Roll Through the Ages (played it once IRL). But I'm up for anything, really: I'd love to try something new.

Here's the list of everyone from GAF that ever played on there. I'm certainly still active, and AstroLad and SuperRobot. MrMan and Triphibian too. I have been wanting to send some invites out, but am unsure who still plays.

But you can invite me to nearly anything (Down with Luna!)

Sweet; feel free to add me to the list. And to be clear, what do you mean by "down with Luna"? As in, you are down with it, and wish to play it? Or as in, it's in some sort of position of privilege and you wish to see it brought down?

Oh, and you mention AstroLad and SuperRobot specifically, but I don't see their names on the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom