• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
StoOgE said:
My copy of Making of a President came in today.

The previous owner left all the chits loose in the box .

What a damn barbarian!

StoOgE said:
Cool Stuff Inc seems to charge about 11 dollars (US) for shipping to Toronto for a single game. Don't know what the costs would be like to other parts of Canada.

Do they do free shipping on $100 orders to Canada too? Just make a mega order!

StoOgE said:
C&C is the highest rated of that system of games on BGG. That may have a lot to do with it being the originator of the game system.

The same guy designed C&C, then Memoir 44, then Battlelore and now Westeros.

I think C&C is the simplest version of the game as well.

Actually Battle Cry was the original game designed by Richard Borg. All the other games including C&C came later and all use the same system with slight variations.

Command and Colors is the name of the system he developed back in 2000 which has only appeared on the C&C ancients product line of games that started publishing in 2006.

Battle Cry is getting a reprint finally this Winter!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
BattleMonkey said:
Actually Battle Cry was the original game designed by Richard Borg. All the other games including C&C came later and all use the same system with slight variations.

Command and Colors is the name of the system he developed back in 2000 which has only appeared on the C&C ancients product line of games that started publishing in 2006.

Battle Cry is getting a reprint finally this Winter!

Ah, you are correct, I knew there was an originator, but always thought it was C&C because of the name. Point being, they are all extremely similar games with some variations.

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
What a damn barbarian!

You are telling me. Everything I own is in little baggies. I'm actually kind of nuts. For instance my Puerto Rico CP chits are in 3 baggies. The big one is the correct number of VP for a 3 player game, then 4, then 5. :lol

I've more or less come up with a system in all of my games to minimize set up time as much as possible.

fenners

Xater said:
I know that basic Battlelore is just Memoir that's why I thought it would be nice to have, because there actually exists a German edition. Battles of Westeros doesn't seems to have a "basic" ruleset, which would make it way more complex right from the start. That's why I am kind of on the fence.

@Stooge: Oh wow C&C has a German edition and I can still find it. Now I will have to take a look at the rules. Wooden bits instead of miniatures is not such a big deal for me. Miniatures are nice but I can see block being easier to handle.

I owned Battlelore & sold it, replacing it with C&C. I love Battlelore but the minatures just make it /way/ too fiddly to set up. The blocks of C&C are much easier & faster to deal with, once you've got the one time pain of stickering them out the way ;)

Xater

Looks like I am back to square one after all. There are alot of shops that still list the German version of C&C but all of them are out of stock. Maybe it is out of print as well? What a bummer. :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
StoOgE said:
You are telling me. Everything I own is in little baggies. I'm actually kind of nuts. For instance my Puerto Rico CP chits are in 3 baggies. The big one is the correct number of VP for a 3 player game, then 4, then 5. :lol

I've more or less come up with a system in all of my games to minimize set up time as much as possible.
My wife can't stand plastic baggies as a storage solution, and insists on customizing each of our boardgames using appropriately sized plastic containers in whatever combination makes sense for that specific game and has to make sense for streamlining both storage and game setup. So we visit stores like Michael's or the Container Store a lot.

XiaNaphryz said:
My wife can't stand plastic baggies as a storage solution, and insists on customizing each of our boardgames using appropriately sized plastic containers in whatever combination makes sense for that specific game and has to make sense for streamlining both storage and game setup. So we visit stores like Michael's or the Container Store a lot.

I think both my wife and I would prefer that, but our cheapness prevents us. What's it run to get appropriate storage for something like say... Agricola?

StoOgE

XiaNaphryz said:

I would like to do that, but I don't want to spend the money or time.

StoOgE

Evlar said:
Oh, nice! I actually like that better than the deluxe 3D resin version they released a couple years back.

Agreed. Mostly because this one looks playable. :lol

Also, looks like easier to set up than the shitty one they have out now with the interlocking water pieces. I've wanted the older edition with the water tiles for a while.

StoOgE said:
Agreed. Mostly because this one looks playable. :lol

Also, looks like easier to set up than the shitty one they have out now with the interlocking water pieces. I've wanted the older edition with the water tiles for a while.
I like the interlocking water pieces, it prevents the board from going to shit if somebody bumps the table.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I like the interlocking water pieces, it prevents the board from going to shit if somebody bumps the table.

I've had problems with people knocking the pieces out. If it fit slightly looser it might work well. But the tension creaeted by the way everything fits in can cause it to pop out and fly around.

It isn't a giant problem, but I've always thought the older versions looked better. Could be a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

Fixed1979

Porthos said:
I'm new to board gaming but I did my first order from www.germangames.com and plan to do another order soon (posted a thread a few pages back asking for puchase advice but haven't put in the order yet). I looked around and found German Games has the best online prices, they are a Canadian company, and the shipping is a resonable flat rate no matter how much you buy.

For the games you listed above, here are their prices:

Pandemic
$26.95 CAD

Arkham Horror
$48.95 CAD

Ticket to Ride
$42.95 CAD

Cool, I've ordered Pandemic and AH. I'm sure Pandemic will be fine, but I am definately worried about getting people to play AH as it appears to be a little too RP for my friends, hopefully I can swing at least one of them. Either way I'm excited just to see the game contents and rule book.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
platypotamus said:
I think both my wife and I would prefer that, but our cheapness prevents us. What's it run to get appropriate storage for something like say... Agricola?
I'll take some pics of what we did for the bits on that one when I get home. You can make tuckboxes for the card decks easy enough, plenty of Agricola templates and general how-to guides over at BGG.

StoOgE said:
I would like to do that, but I don't want to spend the money or time.
My wife's a bit OCD when it comes to this stuff, so she pretty much takes care of it. I come in for anything that requires manual construction (i.e. tuckboxes).

StoOgE

Oh man, 1960 is so deliciously nerdy. Can't wait to give it a spin.

I wish the 2008 election game these guys made was this robust.

Flynn

StoOgE said:
Oh man, 1960 is so deliciously nerdy. Can't wait to give it a spin.

I wish the 2008 election game these guys made was this robust.

I always make a mistake of underestimating the bag, the debates and the media.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Been thinking about picking up tickets to ride. My store has a collectors edition (has pics of real famous trains or some such) and the regular edition for $50 and the Nordic version for $80. And suggestions?

Also, that wood version of catan, does it include/ is compatible with knights and cites and seafarers? I don't have that game either and this looks like a good version to get.

So I skipped the classics and jumped straight to power grid, caylus, stone age, and puerto Rico, so what???

Speaking of stone age, VERY underappreciated game, perfect combo of theme, intuitive gameplay, and mechanics to bring folks into the fold.

StoOgE

jason10mm said:
Been thinking about picking up tickets to ride. My store has a collectors edition (has pics of real famous trains or some such) and the regular edition for $50 and the Nordic version for $80. And suggestions?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21348/ticket-to-ride-marklin-edition

Marklin edition I assume? It isn't a special edition per se as much as a variation on the game. German map vs. US map and a different bonus method for winning.

I think that is way too much to pay for any version of TTR considering you can get them for 30 dollars online.

Wood version of Catan won't be compatible with the expansions (unless they make wooden special editions of those.. which is extremely unlikely). It also will retail for 150 dollars. So I would go with the normal version unless you are a huge fan.

jason10mm said:

Marklin editions doesn't seem so hot IMO, and nordic is already reprinted and found online for 30. IMHO get the Europe version, it's the best value for your money.

Brashnir

StoOgE said:

That was pretty much the first thing I did after my first time playing PR. I keep the VP chips and colonists divided out by number of players. Everyone who has played with me now does the same thing.

Neverfade

I just played a no-muster Game of Thrones.

Someone please know what the hell I'm talking about to sympathize with how ridiculous that is.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I dunno I think after three games I'm all played out on that system. Campaign Manager would be funnish on its own but it's just not that enticing to break out after playing 1960 and TS.

Flynn

AstroLad said:
I dunno I think after three games I'm all played out on that system. Campaign Manager would be funnish on its own but it's just not that enticing to break out after playing 1960 and TS.

I found myself thinking it would be interesting to start learning the cards, since they purposefully display their state on the backside I think there's a fascinating layer of open information / mental challenge to the game after more than a few plays.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dominion: Prosperity is now listed as "Early October, 2010" on CSI. I hate to be one of those people, but the delays for this game are beyond farcical now. Especially since people have had copies forever. Get a new distributor, publisher, whatever.

fenners

AstroLad said:

I've played them all a bunch & they scratch different itches. Twilight Struggle's by far the best of the three, but Campaign Manager is far easier to teach & bring to the table than 1960... 1960 just has too many "Fiddly" mechanisms with the media & the debates... Campaign Manager, I can teach & get it finished in an hour. It's far easier to grasp & get to grips with in my opinion.

I'd love to get Twilight Struggle played some more, but it's just damned long for a two player game :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, Campaign Manager is so light. It feels like a light abstract, which is my least favorite genre so personal grudge there.

fenners

AstroLad said:
Yeah, Campaign Manager is so light. It feels like a light abstract, which is my least favorite genre so personal grudge there.

Fair enough ;) To me, it takes the experience of 1960 & boils it down to the core moments that matter - the struggle over the key battleground states, rather than futzing around with moving the candidate around etc. I like that. Personal taste & all that ;)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Fixed1979 said:
Thanks for putting this thread together Astro, great OP. Not a board game player by any stretch, I picked up Ticket to Ride and played the first game over the weekend with a few people that were over at the house. It went over really well, so well in fact that one of the people planned on getting their own copy when they flew back home and my bud borrowed my copy the following night for his family game night.

I'll definately be grabbing a couple more off your list for 2 player and another 2-5 player.

Also I wanted to ask where the Candians are ordering there games from. Comparing pricing on Amazon.com vs. Amazon.ca we are getting hosed.

Pandemic
USA - $25.61
CA - $59.99

Arkham Horror
USA - $47.96
CAD - $119.99

Ticket to Ride
USA - $37.74
CAD - $89.99

http://www.fungamescafe.com
they're out of Mississauga i think. I've ordered games 3 different times(200dollar orders are free shipping.) all were shipped quickly with free dice really good pricing.

StoOgE

Mall of Horror is in my hands right now, in pretty good shape.

This is the first time I've paid over retail for an out of print game. I think this officially qualifies as an addiction now.

I'll be bringing this one to BGG-Con with me.

fenners

StoOgE said:
Mall of Horror is in my hands right now, in pretty good shape.

This is the first time I've paid over retail for an out of print game. I think this officially qualifies as an addiction now.

I'll be bringing this one to BGG-Con with me.

Congrats! It's a fun negotiation game, when played with the right kind of people.

This is your first BGGCon, Stooge? You know about the scale of the library, right? You shouldn't need to bring a pile of games upto it, unless there's very certain games you know you'll play - like pre-arranged "big" games.

Video of last year's library, this year it's been allocated double the space.

StoOgE

fenners said:
Congrats! It's a fun negotiation game, when played with the right kind of people.

This is your first BGGCon, Stooge? You know about the scale of the library, right? You shouldn't need to bring a pile of games upto it, unless there's very certain games you know you'll play - like pre-arranged "big" games.

Video of last year's library, this year it's been allocated double the space.

Mall of Horror is fun. I've played it once before. The reason I grabbed it is a super casual acceptable game that would be a lot of fun at a party. I don't see it being a big game-night type game, but it would make an excellent "everyones drinking" sort of entertainment. I think it may be simpler than even TTR simply because the mechanics essentially boil down to negotiating and voting with a couple wrinkles here and there that still allow for strategy to trump alliances.

That and when I played it last time I lost right at the very end and wanted to try it again. It really is a curse. One I play a game I start analyzing my mistakes and want to do it again to try and correct. If I don't own it, it means I have to buy it :lol

I've seen (and drooled over) their collection. I'm still going to bring a handful (3-4) of my games with me since I'm just driving up to it. Worst case scenario they sit in my hotel room unused. Not like I'm paying a checked back fee for them.

Neverfade said:
Holy shit. Through the Ages is coming to iPhone in 2011.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

If Verizon doesn't have iPhones by then, I'm switching. Not even joking a little bit.

Or I'll get an iPad/iPod Touch. Are all apps cross compatible?

Evlar

Banned
platypotamus said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

If Verizon doesn't have iPhones by then, I'm switching. Not even joking a little bit.

Or I'll get an iPad/iPod Touch. Are all apps cross compatible?
Not all, but it's very likely that a game made for iPhone will also play on the Touch and all iPads.

AstroLad said:
betcha it won't have online play. :/ so sad how few of the awesome iphone board games do.
Seriously. any game that goes into development after Carc needs to have Carc's online implementation. It's perfect, and a great fit for boardgames on the device.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
platypotamus said:
What are the non-online play ones? AI Opponents then?

neuroshima hex
catan
roll through the ages
hive
tichu
medici
ra
kingsburg
small world

to name a few.

all have ai (i think small world added it in, could be wrong about that though and it might be local-only, it's an ipad-only game so i haven't tried it though i own the through tichu on that list)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah pass and play is cool for when you're in waiting rooms or on flights i suppose. but for carc even though my wife and i are both avid players netplay is far and away my first option. i do prefer board by miles when it's practicable. carc has just spoiled the hell out of me for netplay. hell even the ai play in carc is way better since they all have their own little personalities that are actually quite well executed

CTLance

I had a blast last weekend. Friends came over and we played Galaxy Trucker and RftG with the newest expansion. Had a quick glance at Imperial.

I have to say that we had several games where we had a runaway winner that was just impossible to keep up with in RftG. Dunno whether that was because the guy was that good or whatever. Oh well. Gonna play some rounds on my PC to polish up dem mad (i.e. nonexistant) skillz.

Galaxy Trucker has a comically borked manual, at least in the german version. Had a hard time wrapping my brain around the rules until it finally clicked. Particularly the timed building phase was just one fat blob of unintelligible Gunk.
After a few tries this game actually gets extremely fun, although newbs have no chance, EVER, against players with some experience. Still, even with a few games under my belt I still managed to launch with some quite, ah, experimental ships... We tried the Enterprise IIIA board and got completely annihilated by day 2 - a meteorite card aimed right at the core. I only had one storage container left after that. And then it got worse. Heh.

Didn't get to play Ghost stories yet again. Siiigh. I want to try this in multiplayer.

Neverfade

TtA is being developed by Codito, which has stated on BGG that they are retroactively going to add multiplayer to the games they've already released eventually. So it looks positive that it will have online multiplayer at some point, I think they're just hammering out working their games into OpenFeint or the new GameCenter.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
CTLance said:
Didn't get to play Ghost stories yet again. Siiigh. I want to try this in multiplayer.
Galaxy Trucker and Ghost Stories are two games that beat the players up. Hard.

Xater

So I got Pandemic today and played 4 or 5 game sin a row. Great game but we did not beat the game once. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom