• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I'll run into the occasional, "Can't we just play Monopoly?" when trying to introduce something slightly more complex than Monopoly but I just trudge through it.
You either need better gateways or better transitional games.

Picked up a copy of Settlers of Catan today at a board game shop near my sister's. It was unplanned, so I couldn't remember most of the suggestions, but I'm glad I have Catan and can't wait to play.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
crowphoenix said:
Picked up a copy of Settlers of Catan today at a board game shop near my sister's. It was unplanned, so I couldn't remember most of the suggestions, but I'm glad I have Catan and can't wait to play.

Everyone needs Catan.

It probably isn't the best gateway game because it is a bit complicated at points.

It also probably is the best gateway, because a lot of people have at least heard of Catan.

D: most of my friends mock at my boardgame collection but still will occasionally play some gateway game. About a month ago I bought a used copy of HeroQuest, they are still making fun of how nerdy it is, worst part is that I agree, I hate D&D but love the minis :lol

Gosh I need nerdier friends.
I've never played Catan

hoverX

BattleMonkey said:
Should be fine, it's very simple and can play pretty quick. Don't know if your GF would like it no matter what though.
I gave them these options: Castle Ravenloft, Mag Blast, Talisman or A Game of Thrones LCG. I'll see what they say.

Gonna introduce Munchkin to my group this weekend. I only played once and that was 2 years ago, but I finally went out and got the first pack for myself now that they're in color. After a go round we're gonna fire up Last Night on Earth, which is our staple game and what I'm using as a gateway into the world of board games.

ultron87

I played Citadels a bunch over the weekend. Very good gateway game with plenty of screwing your friends over. And it sets up some of the fundamental concepts that would help introducing further games with stuff like role selection, variable turn order, and a scoring system at the end of the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Flynn said:
Puerto Rico has an ending.
So does Monopoly - it's when all the players get fed up and flip the board over or something similar.

nUZkd.jpg

Flynn

XiaNaphryz said:
So does Monopoly - it's when all the players get fed up and flip the board over or something similar.

nUZkd.jpg

That pic is hilarious.

Petrie, have you tried the meet up section at BGG. It took a year, but I eventually found people to play with where I live.

StoOgE

ultron87 said:
I played Citadels a bunch over the weekend. Very good gateway game with plenty of screwing your friends over. And it sets up some of the fundamental concepts that would help introducing further games with stuff like role selection, variable turn order, and a scoring system at the end of the game.

I honestly find the Variable Turn Order the only difficult thing to teach in the game. A lot of people just can't wrap their head around the "but I'm sitting to the right of the king, I should go next" thing.

Chairhome

platypotamus said:
I was also thinking about responding with "I have the older one in my trade list on BGG if you're interested" :-D

But yes, Through The Ages is ace. Quoting a post I made earlier in the thread:

Playing Civ V has totally made me want to play some Through the Ages. I wonder if I can get a crew together for a game this weekend...

EDIT: Hell yes, top of the page, now everyone gets to see me heaping praise on TTA for the next 100 posts.
Thanks, I totally want to get this now, but my local shop doesn't have it and says that both of his distributors are out :-(. I might get it from Amazon, its around $55 there...

Xater

fuck these threads for getting me back into board games. :lol

Anyway, I ordered Memoir 44 after I found out about this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/59555/memoir-44-das-deutsche-umrustungs-set

It may be out by Essen so that's a great way to play with people who dont want to paly in English. I am really happy I saw this, because Memoir was the game I was most interested in with the C&C game system.

I also saw today tha tthe rules for 51st state are out: http://www.portalpublishing.eu/products/board-games/51st-state/

I guess some of you are probably eager to check them out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
StoOgE said:
I honestly find the Variable Turn Order the only difficult thing to teach in the game. A lot of people just can't wrap their head around the "but I'm sitting to the right of the king, I should go next" thing.

The rules specify that the player whose character is called flips their character card face-up when called specifically to prevent this kind of confusion. Just teach people that the turn orders a role call, and that the roles are called from the lowest number to the highest. If your number is called, say present and flip your card and take your turn :p

fenners

Stumpokapow said:
The rules specify that the player whose character is called flips their character card face-up when called specifically to prevent this kind of confusion. Just teach people that the turn orders a role call, and that the roles are called from the lowest number to the highest. If your number is called, say present and flip your card and take your turn :p

Unless the assassin killed you, when you should be utterly silent :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I find that it helps to have a printout of all the roles so that the King can just run down the list (and so everyone can have a useful reference): http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/1jz0gf024m/Citadel_Characters_A5.pdf?

There's also an expansion (that comes with base now) card, Ball Room, that I always got a kick out of related to this: "When you have the Crown, all other players must say 'Thanks, your Excellency' after you have called his character. If a player forgets to address you in this way, he loses his turn."

StoOgE

Went to Barnes and Noble during lunch today.

Man, they have a great lineup of games now. Last time I checked they had Catan.

Now they have Dominion (and Seaside), Agricola, Forbidden Island, several TTR games, Alahambra, Carcassonne, a million Munchken games, Cosmic Encounter and Arkham Horror.

eznark

Banned
StoOgE said:

Now they have Dominion (and Seaside), Agricola, Forbidden Island, several TTR games, Alahambra, Carcassonne, a million Munchken games, Cosmic Encounter and Arkham Horror.

How were the prices?

StoOgE said:
Everyone needs Catan.

It probably isn't the best gateway game because it is a bit complicated at points.

It also probably is the best gateway, because a lot of people have at least heard of Catan.
Thankfully, I've played a good bit of Catan on XBLA, so most of it I know well enough to explain it to people. While doing the prep work for the game, I read through the rules and there were a few that I did not know, but they all make sense. I especially like the resource one as it makes hoarding a bad idea.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
Anyone know anything about or try Summoner Wars? Card game but it seems to also be a mix of card, board, and wargame.
It is rather highly beloved, but I didn't really enjoy my first playthrough. Keep in mind that I'm generally not that fond of fantasy so I may have a touch of bias, BUT:

-Board is a cheap paper foldout and cards just have a cheap waxy feel. To be expected considering the price of the game, but I'm kinda big on aesthetics and probably spoiled by the fact that most fantasy games usually have great quality.

-Mechanics felt really simplistic to me. Put your cards on the board, move them around, and attack. It feels novel for a card game but there just didn't seem to be much there there.

I guess the cool part of the game is that there are lots of different factions and you can pick and choose and it's rather cheap, but I'm not really a fan.

AstroLad said:
It is rather highly beloved, but I didn't really enjoy my first playthrough. Keep in mind that I'm generally not that fond of fantasy so I may have a touch of bias, BUT:

-Board is a cheap paper foldout and cards just have a cheap waxy feel. To be expected considering the price of the game, but I'm kinda big on aesthetics and probably spoiled by the fact that most fantasy games usually have great quality.

-Mechanics felt really simplistic to me. Put your cards on the board, move them around, and attack. It feels novel for a card game but there just didn't seem to be much there there.

I guess the cool part of the game is that there are lots of different factions and you can pick and choose and it's rather cheap, but I'm not really a fan.

Yea it's kind of supposed to be a cheap wargame, instead of having tons of expensive minis. I assume it will gain complexity with expansions which will add more cards to every faction for different tactics.

And they sell a premium nice game board separate for about $10.

Neverfade

BattleMonkey said:
Anyone know anything about or try Summoner Wars? Card game but it seems to also be a mix of card, board, and wargame.

To add to what Astro said, it feels like a small game of Heroscape, but the minis are cards. It's not my favorite game, but maybe worth it if you're down to invest into two starter boxes for 2 vs 2 play.

Xatar said:
rules for 51st state
67718y.gif

Neverfade

Chairhome said:
Thanks, I totally want to get this now, but my local shop doesn't have it and says that both of his distributors are out :-(. I might get it from Amazon, its around $55 there...

I see it has FSSS, so that's about the price you'd pay with shipping from an online boardgame retailer anyways. Jump on it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's been at least eight years, but Monopoly is one of those games where you start out with four or five, then two or three lose rather quickly, leave and go do other stuff, and come back and go "oh, you guys are still playing?" and you're legitimately jealous of them for losing so early.

ultron87

When I was in school our CS department would get together at the end of every semester and play a game of Monopoly. It was fun, but infuriating, since not everyone knew what they were doing and would make dumbass trades that would essentially hand someone the game.

"A monopoly on the purples + some money is not worth giving someone a monopoly on the oranges. No! Don't shake his hand! You idiot! Damnit."

AstroLad said:
It's been at least eight years, but Monopoly is one of those games where you start out with four or five, then two or three lose rather quickly, leave and go do other stuff, and come back and go "oh, you guys are still playing?" and you're legitimately jealous of them for losing so early.

Monopoly is really a 2 player game, anything else ends in tears

Sasquatch said:
Your post got me to look into and then purchase the game.

I'm going to quote you in the future whenever anyone says "I'm just one person, what difference can I make?"

Glad you're enjoying it! I actually started with the base game too (that's the only game I've ever bothered), and while I found it enjoyable, I think playing the full shebang is much more challenging and rewarding, so the best is still to come!

StoOgE said:
Her reaction: "Thank God, I thought you were playing D&D". :lol

I'm really not sure why board game night is better than D&D but it is.

:lol I love that D&D was her fear. Also, my wife refuses to play any sort of dungeon exploring game (Descent, or Castle Ravenloft) because they are too much like D&D. She said, "I don't want to have to pretend!" I was shocked that she tried Dungeon Lords (and liked it!)

Petrie said:
I'd kill to be able to find ANY sort of group.

See there's your problem. You keep killing people rather than recruiting them.

ultron87 said:

There was a friend of my wife's that I had high hopes for becoming a board gamer with us. She played Ticket to Ride and liked it. She played Pandemic and liked it. Then she flipped out because Citadels was way too complicated and she hated it. Considering the rest of my collection, I don't think she's going to work out.

Chairhome said:

I need to start stamping the front of my fighter jet with little Through the Ages stamps :-D

StoOgE said:

It's B&N's fault that I really want Fresco. Hadn't heard of it, but saw it there and looked it up on BGG, and it sounds awesome.

==========================

My copy of Ascension is out on its Fedex truck for delivery today. Hope I get a chance to try it with the wife today or tomorrow, and hope we like it better than Thunderstone

ultron87

platypotamus said:
There was a friend of my wife's that I had high hopes for becoming a board gamer with us. She played Ticket to Ride and liked it. She played Pandemic and liked it. Then she flipped out because Citadels was way too complicated and she hated it. Considering the rest of my collection, I don't think she's going to work out.

Weird, I'd say Pandemic is at least as complicated as Citadels. I mean you have 4 actions on your turn that you can spend on like 7 different things to do, and there are many different roles (but you're only one role per game, so I can see how that would help). But I guess the advantage of it being co-op is that other players can help you through the rough spots. Or you can just sit back and let the losses roll in.

ultron87 said:
Weird, I'd say Pandemic is at least as complicated as Citadels. I mean you have 4 actions on your turn that you can spend on like 7 different things to do, and there are many different roles (but you're only one role per game, so I can see how that would help). But I guess the advantage of it being co-op is that other players can help you through the rough spots. Or you can just sit back and let the losses roll in.

Yeah, I don't get it either, but she's a nurse, so maybe she had some sort of class bonus for the game (we still lost all the games we played).

StoOgE

CSI orders are a real pain.

I always try and mini-max my way to right at 100 dollars.

"Hmm.. if I get rid of Ra and add in Chrononauts and Sabateur I'm at 102.45. Now, what can I switch to get to 100.01"

Also, I'm about to spend money I shouldn't. Hooray payday!

Looks like

Bang (base deck only, expansions seem really unnecessary here)
Jaipur
Sabateur
Ra
One of: Carson City, Arkham Horror or Twilight Struggle.

Just have to pick my big game :(

Neverfade

StoOgE said:

"Hmm.. if I get rid of Ra and add in Chrononauts and Sabateur I'm at 102.45. Now, what can I switch to get to 100.01"

Looks like

Jaipur
Sabateur
Ra

Carson City!
/devil's advocate

StoOgE said:

Looks like

Jaipur
Sabateur
Ra

Twilight Struggle. Do it!

EDIT: To expand a little bit, if you enjoyed 1960 you'll dig Twilight Struggle. Same mechanics only it's a little more involved and it is dripping in theme. If you enjoy the time period you'll definitely get a lot out of the game. Fair warning, it is also more complicated to play but if you understood 1960 you'll get this game as well.

Yeef

Played The Traders of Genoa for the first time tonight. Fantastic negotiation game. Given the scores at the end the privileges seemed pretty underpowered. Other than that the game is extremely well-balanced and interesting.

platypotamus said:
My copy of Ascension is out on its Fedex truck for delivery today. Hope I get a chance to try it with the wife today or tomorrow, and hope we like it better than Thunderstone

We played three games of this w/ three players last weekend. It was entertaining, but we felt that it was somewhat low on player interaction and was prone to wild luck swings. We'd definitely play it again, but agreed that the game could use some seasoning via expansion and/or rules changes.

Don't get me wrong, still had a good time. It plays fast and does reward strategic play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom