• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunderstone takes the traditional DBG idea but adds in options of what you want to do. Go to village and buy, which is like buying cards in any dbg, or you can choose to go to the dungeon. The separate dungeon deck spawns monsters on different levels, which in the original version of the game required having cards that produce light to go to specific levels which were darker the higher the level. Not having enough light production would give you penalties. You then also could play cards to represent your mercs in your party along with any gear and magic spells you cast to fight the chosen monster. Killing monsters with your hand you played earns you trophy rewards from the card as well as XP which can be used in the village to upgrade your merc heroes with higher level versions.

Thunderstand Advance which came out recently is essentially identical game, they simply have updated the cards iconography and such to be easier to read, along with alternate dungeon mode which is considered fighting in the wilderness, which has more monsters, and you don't have to worry about producing light as much. Thunderstone Advance is compatible with original Thunderstone cards.

So buy thunderstone advance instead of vanilla to start? Man, im building up a rather large card game collection

You can buy either really. There is very little different in advance, it's basically just a new "story" cycle and they put out a new set with some updated looks to it. Advance is a bit nicer in that it comes with xp tokens instead of using cards for xp as in original Thunderstone, also Advanced comes with a game board.

I'm very stoked for Descent 2. Looks like some nice streamlining going on, and I don't have room for another coffin right now anyway.

Very different game so hard to compare, but in many cases the game seems more complex. The only streamlining aspect if any is how long the game lasts, as they keep trumpeting how fast it goes compared to some games of the original.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think a lot of people were down on Thunderstone until it came out on Yucata and you could actually see there was a pretty neat game there (even if the theme is a bit dry imo) -- you could say the same for Ascension/iOS actually. I haven't had a chance to bust out Advance but it looks really nice (art, board, etc.) and the rules tweaks seem like improvements on a solid game. It's basically a DBG where you have the choice to either gear up or go fighting. Actually if you combined the RE license with the Thunderstone mechanics you'd have a pretty awesome game imo.
------
In Ghost Stories news, I think after spamming about 50 games on the iPad, I've learned the game to the extent that I can probably win on Nightmare 5% of the time. Whoo! Actually pretty excited to get the expansions for this game (too bad they're not on the iOS version, which seems sort of abandoned a la Small World).
------
edit: I've been reading a decent amount of BGG this weekend, just catching up on big stuff I've missed. I find it really funny that there are "spoiler-free" previews of games. I guess for something like Risk Legacy, but it seems to be a pretty common thing. I've never been super anti the spoiler-sensitive people but that is hilariously absurd. Board-game spoilers.

Flynn

edit: I've been reading a decent amount of BGG this weekend, just catching up on big stuff I've missed. I find it really funny that there are "spoiler-free" previews of games. I guess for something like Risk Legacy, but it seems to be a pretty common thing. I've never been super anti the spoiler-sensitive people but that is hilariously absurd. Board-game spoilers.

This very notion makes me want to punch faces.

Totally just ordered the Uncharted board game. That's right, one actually exists and is apparently pretty good based on what I've read. Should be interesting if nothing else.

Not according to the fella who posted the NDA Lifted thread on BGG.

The rules are up on FFG's site to read. It really doesn't seem any simpler at all. Again its a different game but in many aspects it reads as more complex of a game. The design of the game mainly in scenarios seems to be geared at speeding it up considerably mainly. Also the campaign system was basically integrated in is probably the most streamlined aspect instead of the fairly robust system they put out in Road to Legend. It seems to be a meatier game but with a far more smaller scope.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have half a mind to jump back into Summoner Wars with the Master Set. Any thoughts on owners? I originally tried SW when it first came out but was turned off by the poor aesthetics (mostly the paper "board") and the theme. Seems that at least the first has been improved upon. With the iOS version coming out though, I wonder if I'm not better off just sticking to that. I rarely ever bust out Ascension thanks to the iOS version.

Short that what about Call of Cthulhu LCG? I like Mythos and this one seems fun. Is it the kind of game where you have to be committed to actually constructing decks with all the different expansions or it's crap?

I have half a mind to jump back into Summoner Wars with the Master Set. Any thoughts on owners? I originally tried SW when it first came out but was turned off by the poor aesthetics (mostly the paper "board") and the theme. Seems that at least the first has been improved upon. With the iOS version coming out though, I wonder if I'm not better off just sticking to that. I rarely ever bust out Ascension thanks to the iOS version.

Short that what about Call of Cthulhu LCG? I like Mythos and this one seems fun. Is it the kind of game where you have to be committed to actually constructing decks with all the different expansions or it's crap?

SW is same game, just with nicer board so who knows if you will dig it.

CoC LCG being a LCG will have it's commitment basically determined by who you play with and how you approach LCG's. It's an oldie like GoT LCG so there is lot of releases since it also was a conversion from CCG to the LCG format. Not sure how well set up the base set is, but from past LCG experience the decks always have iffy balance and part of it is because your expected to expand and customize the decks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SW is same game, just with nicer board so who knows if you will dig it.

CoC LCG being a LCG will have it's commitment basically determined by who you play with and how you approach LCG's. It's an oldie like GoT LCG so there is lot of releases since it also was a conversion from CCG to the LCG format. Not sure how well set up the base set is, but from past LCG experience the decks always have iffy balance and part of it is because your expected to expand and customize the decks.

are there any LCGs that allow you to avoid heavy deck-construction elements. i.e., they work well out of the box and the expansions integrate relatively seamlessly?

are there any LCGs that allow you to avoid heavy deck-construction elements. i.e., they work well out of the box and the expansions integrate relatively seamlessly?

The only one I truly think is decent at that is LOTR, but being coop and scenario driven, you will be forced to buy new expansions to get the new scenarios or it's going to get stale. And the difficulty spikes of the newer scenarios requires you to upgrade.

Warhammer Invasion I think works decently out of the box with ok balance. But these games are all designed around the CCG style mentality so the designers always seem to have long/short term goals attached, and then because of tournament scenes, the card design will always be flowing in certain directions based on various game meta.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks, makes sense. I guess in a way I'm looking for an LCG that's not an LCG which is sort of silly.

Even though I have a good group of people to play with, serious asymmetry in terms of experience/skill drives me nuts (usually because I'm the one with the unfair advantage). I was never able to get over with CCGs or LCGs because the concept of "here, I built this deck for you" just felt wrong to me. I still have LOTR base game -- I should probably give that a few more tries and see.

Neverfade

The rules are up on FFG's site to read. It really doesn't seem any simpler at all. Again its a different game but in many aspects it reads as more complex of a game. The design of the game mainly in scenarios seems to be geared at speeding it up considerably mainly. Also the campaign system was basically integrated in is probably the most streamlined aspect instead of the fairly robust system they put out in Road to Legend. It seems to be a meatier game but with a far more smaller scope.

Ok? Agreed to disagree. I've read them. I'm interested.

I think the rules look similar in depth and scope, but different enough to warrant a sequel. I agree that they seem more focused. The general game play does not look terribly simplified or streamlined, but the campaign sure does. As a comparison, the original rule book was 24 pages and so is the new one. However, the original has some splashy graphics and an ad for Doom that takes up an entire page that could easily be consolidated. The new rules are 24 pages but also include all the campaign stuff, which is a far cry from several entire rulebooks dedicated to that mode of play. The game has my money Day 1, that's for sure. I think it looks great.

I just wish they would show more miniatures already!

Phthisis

Thanks, makes sense. I guess in a way I'm looking for an LCG that's not an LCG which is sort of silly.

Even though I have a good group of people to play with, serious asymmetry in terms of experience/skill drives me nuts (usually because I'm the one with the unfair advantage). I was never able to get over with CCGs or LCGs because the concept of "here, I built this deck for you" just felt wrong to me. I still have LOTR base game -- I should probably give that a few more tries and see.

LOTR is truly awesome. I've been hooked every since I tried it, and my and my gf play like very weekend.

I'm a sucker for the new quests they release every month, but even if you stick with the three base quests, there's a lot of variety with difficulty level and deck options across the four spheres.

Hey, what does LCG mean anyways?

Living card game. Doesn't really stand for anything but FFG came up with it to differentiate it from normal CCG's.

Difference with LCG's is that instead of buying random packs of cards, and trying to collect them, the LCG's are prepackaged and you get a full set of the cards in a pack. They take out the randomness of collecting found in normal CCG's.

So Summoner Wars is a LCG then?

It kind of is, but Summoner Wars does not play/share CCG mechanics. Summoner Wars is more like a simplified wargame that replaces figures with cards.

LCG is just a term that FFG uses, they used to publish various CCG's that used random packs of cards like normal, but relaunched them in the new prepackaged format calling them LCG's

I think there has to be some customization needed to be an LCG. Summoner Wars decks are premade armies. The analogy is it's a miniatures game in card form.

You can customize SW decks, it's what the reinforcement packs are for and such, but yea it's really more like the analogy you stated.

Yay new game room finished up! Couldn't picture whole thing but other wall is also more shelves full of games. Big rectangle fold out tables in corner are for taking out to play super large games and miniature wargames.

7397883714_93935f8792_b.jpg

Nice looking collection! I like photos of people's stuff for some reason. I think it helps bridge the "Internet" connection in some way for me.

fenners

Im more jealous of the posters than the games. Those are some sweet posters

Those are some sweet *expensive* posters ;) You need another coffin box game to balance that shelf. Sweet setup.

Actually getting Tide of Iron myself in the mail in a trade... No idea how/who I'll play it with, but I'm getting it :)

For anyone who might be interested, Amazon has copies of Runewars for $65. I'd been holding off ordering and had completely forgotten about the game to be honest, but seems like fun themed AT to add to my collection.

Neverfade

Runewars is a must have for any AT fan. It's great. It has one flaw, but it's not gamebreaking (boooooring Summer phase). Xpac gives heroes more to do, kinda fixing that, though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Had a really fun extra-long game night tonight. Ironically didn't play any deep games even though I was able to stay late. Two spins of PitchCar (second time with the jumps, which are very entertaining) and one seven-player game of RoboRally that ended with only one man standing before anyone had reached the second flag (we were playing with one of the book variants where you start with two damage always and can't power down -- actually extremely fun though now I wish I woulda camped instead of racing out to the lead).

Keasar

Great quality on the board and 6 new races to play as for a very affordable price. I only own the Master Set and I would say I am really satisfied. Been playing it a few times here at work and I love it. The 6 included races (compared to other sets 2) helps a lot to bring variety for the price, though I am considering buying the faction decks.

Those are some sweet *expensive* posters ;) You need another coffin box game to balance that shelf. Sweet setup.

Actually getting Tide of Iron myself in the mail in a trade... No idea how/who I'll play it with, but I'm getting it :)

Maybe get that discounted Runewars to complete the coffin top. I didn't want to originally have stuff on the top shelf as I wanted it to be a statue display area for collectibles, but way too many games. The other shelf not pictured is just as packed now :(

But at least in the process of setting it up I emptied 3 closets/chests worth of gaming into my game bunker

MichaelBD

I played the re-released Fortress America over the weekend. Couple of fiddly rules to get over but within a few turns things really started clicking.

I think it fits nicely between Risk and Memoir 44 as far as minis and dice-rolling go (and I love rolling dice). I was big into Risk back in the olden days and having been in the games hobby for a few years now I see its glaring flaws. Yet some of the best gaming moments across my life have been standing up at the edge of a Risk board and rolling a handful of dice. Fortress America replicates that well. Both my daughter and wife "complained" about how loud me and my buddy were while playing FA. That's a good sign.

It's not quite M44 though, as even though M44 is not complex by any real means, the terrain restrictions and different troop abilities give it more depth.

So I'm happy with it so far.

Neverfade

Interesting. M44 leaves me completely empty. I find FA'a choices to be much more fufilling and "deeper". Quotes because it's obviously still not a difficult game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh man I love M44 but my brother and I almost got into a fistfight over it.

"You lucky bastard!"
"No, you lucky bastard!"
"Fuck these dice and fuck you!"

MichaelBD

Interesting. M44 leaves me completely empty. I find FA'a choices to be much more fufilling and "deeper". Quotes because it's obviously still not a difficult game.
FA is exactly what I expected/wanted. Pushing lots of plastic, rolling lots of dice, and swearing/cheering when the rolls don't go/go your way. Plenty of interesting choices to make and a sense of urgency for both the Invaders/Americans as each tries to push/hold off the onslaught.

And I love M44. I have plano boxes full of M44 stuff and a stack of boards. I would never say no to a game. The downside is the ratio of setup/play time, but you can always mitigate by switching sides.

MichaelBD

Oh man I love M44 but my brother and I almost got into a fistfight over it.

"You lucky bastard!"
"No, you lucky bastard!"
"Fuck these dice and fuck you!"
What's funny for me is how I sent a text to my brother, soon after finishing my first game of FA, saying I had a new game we "needed" to play. I can only imagine how ugly FA could turn out between the two of us. But isn't that what makes gaming so fun? The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat?

You guys, someone at my work has brought in a copy of Diplomacy to get a game started. Fortunately, I'm only on the second floor, so when the riots hit, I will probably survive a leap from the window.

Just finished punching and organizing Eclipse. That was a ton of pieces, thank god they included plenty of baggies. The box is bigger than I was expecting and it is heavy as hell. Can't wait to get it to the table on Thursday, going to be fun.

This is for the parents out there, get Go Away Monster. I got done playing three games with my three year old son. Easy rules for young kids to grasp, super fast gameplay, and finally something else to play with him besides Candyland and Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Question: How do you guys go about explaining boardgames to people not familiar with boardgames or who are struggling with more complex games? Do you follow a certain path (say, components, icons, cards, then rules, phases, gameplay, then strategies or something like that) or do you make it up as it goes? How do you explain it? I keep struggling with explaining things in ways that are easy to understand, because I know it and pick it up fast but others might not, so I'm looking for input on how to improve that :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom