• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One more AH question. At a special location, say the Science Building can your spend gate tropies several times in the same turn to get more than 2 clue tokens or you only allowed the one trade in?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
One more AH question. At a special location, say the Science Building can your spend gate tropies several times in the same turn to get more than 2 clue tokens or you only allowed the one trade in?
You can only do one Arkham action per turn, so once.
be it trading in tokens..shopping, exploring a location ect

Having a secret game plan going into round one definitely can help your whole game out.

The edit can't be stressed. Your choice/assignment of your wonder allows your neighbors to formulate a strategy involving you and the other neighbor. For the most part, this makes gameplay predictable as the number of games pile up.

With Leaders, Rhodos could play science, Halicarnassus could play combat, etc., and you won't find that out until the game is already underway and will be forced to adapt your gameplay to the new conditions. It greatly diversifies the game and gives it near infinite replayability.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Mage Knight is REALLY good. Even when I played a solo game I loved it. Every hand is like playing Magic where I have to find out the best possible thing to do because I have like 1 life left and I have to maximize my hand.

Blizzard

Banned
I played a bean card game (Bohnanza or something like that) and Gloom, a transparent card game, last night. My group got a bunch of new games. I won Gloom with all of my guys dead and like -190 points total. Two other people realized too late they had cards that could cancel events...but I don't think I used an event card to win, just modifiers/untimely deaths, so I think I would have won anyway! I don't think anyone really cared since everyone was ready to quit.

Bohnanza: Decent game once you get the hang of it. Playing through the deck three times is probably needed to make things more balanced. We only went through once, and the/a guy who didn't buy an extra bean field won. Trading can take ages if you have people who don't make it snappy.

Gloom: Transparent cards are cool. It's hard to make up stories and no one really cared that much, especially since everyone's turn took forever regardless, especially when you started playing 2-3 cards, then drawing like 5, then discarding, like 3, etc.

Next week, hopefully we get to try Kill Doctor Lucky, which is like Clue in reverse and is an actual board game as far as I know!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Someone was selling an unpunched copy of Space Hulk: Death Angel at work today so I picked it up. :D Now to mire my way through FFG rules + FAQs + BGG.

Someone was selling an unpunched copy of Space Hulk: Death Angel at work today so I picked it up. :D Now to mire my way through FFG rules + FAQs + BGG.

I love Space Hulk:Death Angel but the rule book is complete shit.

Like the person said above me watch tutorials online and learn that way.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

ultron87

Is Reaper a company that will be able to handle the ridiculous production ramp up that such a massively over successful Kickstarter will require?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

Played Small World Realms the other night. The "Gods" variant where you build the map as you go.

I kind of liked it. I mean, it's small world that takes 2 hours, which is a bit much. I also don't like the powers being delt out in advance in this mode, someone started the game with scout ghouls. What the hell are you supposed to do about that?

In any case, it's a good game, but mostly because Small World itself is a good game. I don't know that I think it adds anything to the game having a bunch of different map set ups. Maybe the other scenarios are better with the pre-built maps.... but to me it felt like Small World. Like, exactly the same as Small World.

Not like the Power Grid maps that make the game feel substantially different.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Is Reaper a company that will be able to handle the ridiculous production ramp up that such a massively over successful Kickstarter will require?

well they are one of the most renowned miniature manufacturers that have been around for years (since 1992) so I'd guess yes.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So,

Played Small World Realms the other night. The "Gods" variant where you build the map as you go.

so if you already have a small worlds game you wouldn't recommend getting realms in addition basically?

I don't know if small world needs to be longer then it is now honesty..its a fun game and part of that is it doesn't drag on to long. how much longer is realms compared to original about 45mins longer?

fenners

Vasel's review made it out to be an expansion of sorts. I was under the impression it needs one of the base games to work.

It does. It's a 'map generator' essentially for Small World & the underground one, with some additional rule sets. Comes with a number of predefined example map + rulesets.

tm24

I'm getting all twitchy!

Seriously would I be crazy to get the vampire level if I don't actually play Miniature games?
They all look so darn gorgeous and after finishing my boardgames it looks to be a great mix of mini's to continue painting.

100bucks get you all this!..WOW
]

DAmn you for bringing this to my attention. I want it now too

Played Discworld for the first time last night. I, of course, love the books, but despite it being a Martin Wallace game, I was worried it would fall flat for non-fans. Both my wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it was a pretty tense two player game. Both of us guessed wrong on the other's identity, and thought we were about to lose several times throughout the game. I WAS about to lose several times throughout the game, without even knowing it. Nice and tense, pretty fast paced, remarkably simple for a Wallace game. Looking forward to playing it again.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
DAmn you for bringing this to my attention. I want it now too

I can't see it not hitting the latest 1.92mil stretch goal. it will probably hit 2 or 3 more stretches by the time its done.

it works out to be over 200 mini's for 100 bucks.. as well you can choice to not select the only metal mini kickstarter sophie(25 dollar value) and can sub other vampire options instead...

damn amazing deal.

Seriously would I be crazy to get the vampire level if I don't actually play Miniature games?
They all look so darn gorgeous and after finishing my boardgames it looks to be a great mix of mini's to continue painting.

The figs are really for role playing games and hobby use really, there is no game attached to the figs. Most reaper stuff is targeted for generic RPG use or whatever you can come up with.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
thx for the reality check BattleMonkey... still looks like alotta fun to paint and use for RPG's and stuff :)

edit: i hope that didn't sound sarcastic..it wasn't ment to be ..i was getting pretty hyped and a little splash of perspective is always good :)

Bohnanza: Decent game once you get the hang of it. Playing through the deck three times is probably needed to make things more balanced. We only went through once, and the/a guy who didn't buy an extra bean field won. Trading can take ages if you have people who don't make it snappy.

The second and third times through the deck go considerably quicker than the first season, as there are more cards in people's score piles and bean fields. Heck sometimes the 3rd season doesn't even go around the table once. Timing harvesting to put or avoid putting beans in the discard pile right before the shuffle can make for some interesting choices.

Neverfade

Agricola: In the 2 player game you don't use the first 6 action spaces?

Also, what threshold number of goods do you guys decide you must nab something up? 4 clay/reed seems juicy, but 5 is when you get to actually so something useful with it. Whats your magic #?

I had a sweet combo in my cards, with Clay Deliverer and Clay Roof improvement. Mushroom Farmer kept my dudes nice & fed, too.

I liked it a bit more than I used to. Maybe I'm coming around.

Le Havre still wins though.

Agricola: In the 2 player game you don't use the first 6 action spaces?

Also, what threshold number of goods do you guys decide you must nab something up? 4 clay/reed seems juicy, but 5 is when you get to actually so something useful with it. Whats your magic #?

Correct, the spaces created by the cards aren't used in 2p.

As far as the magic number goes, it varies a lot for me based on the number of players and the particular cards in play. Sometimes I can't even wait for clay/reed to hit 4. Most of the time it seems that way in fact. Some games the 3 wood space can be grabbed at 9, but most of the time that's getting greedy. Usually it comes down more to what I'm reading my opponents' picks as being, more than what I actually want. Yeah, I want to grow my family, but my wife is going to take the wood, so I'll do that first.

Wow that last sentence sounds wrong.

Speaking of which though, we do have twins on the way in about 6 months... so yeah, family growth ftw.

Speaking of which though, we do have twins on the way in about 6 months... so yeah, family growth ftw.

Congratulations!

I'll pass on some of the 'advice' we got when we found out we were having twins:
"you'll feel like you've turned into zombies", "it's not double the work it's triple", "do some sleeping now while you can".

Also youll need to get used to people saying "double trouble, ho ho ho". It never gets old.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

Grats man!

someone needs to make a game that all these minis go to hahah

I've been reading the reaper boards and comments..it sounds like there's a good possibility of unofficial/official hodgepodge factions for warlords with the Vampire level.
Seems many others(as well as myself) are really excited to try and use the Vampire Level as a beginners set for Warlords..or as a base to build off of.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
OMG so hype for the Blood Bowl TM expansion now.

3d-box.png

group-layout.png

player-card-fan-1.png

Sudden Death is bone-breaking, pulse-pounding expansion for Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game that brings three new teams, new Contract payouts, new enchanted balls, and more! Enhance existing teams with additional Staff Upgrade cards and Team Upgrade Cards, and take the competition to new heights with never-before-seen Highlights and Spike! Magazine Cards. Meanwhile, all-new mechanics like enchanted balls and contracts provide a variety of new strategies. With all this, the Sudden Death expansion is sure to raise your spirits...and maybe a few others.

Blood Bowl: Team Manager – Sudden Death includes:

1 Rulesheet
84 Bridge-Sized Cards
38 Small Cards
45 Cardboard Tokens

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Both Dominion: Dark Ages and 7 Wonders: Cities dropped on CSI this week so I made an order. Those two + Summoner Wars stuff (which we are crazy into since getting on board with the iOS app) + Agricola decks I missed (getting back into this as well).

With or without room?

Kinda somewhere in between. Maybe room for 1... but 2... we're a little screwed there. It may speed up our "move to a bigger place" plan a bit, but we'll see.

Congratulations!

I'll pass on some of the 'advice' we got when we found out we were having twins:
"you'll feel like you've turned into zombies", "it's not double the work it's triple", "do some sleeping now while you can".

Also youll need to get used to people saying "double trouble, ho ho ho". It never gets old.

Yeah, my two go-to jokes right now are:

1. We decided to start the game of parenting on hard difficulty level.
2. The doctors give me about six months to live...

I should have posted a chart of "number of board games played per week" covering the next year or two. I think it's going to rise sharply in another month or so as the missus starts ballooning, and then drop super dramatically a bit after that.

And thanks for the congrats everyone! Still processing and freaking out a bit, but we WERE trying for kids, so you know, brought it on ourselves I guess :)

And thanks for the congrats everyone! Still

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom