• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention that I picked up my kickstarter for Evil Baby Orphanage over the weekend. The cards aren't the best quality, and they won't fit in the smallish box when sleeved so I may have to make a custom tuck-box. Overall though the theme is pretty funny and the game mechanics look pretty solid. I'll wait to see how it plays (I need to stop getting games that require 3+ players), but it looks pretty quick/fun.

Speaking of 3+ player games? Does anybody have any suggestions for 2 player games. We have stuff like Dominion, but those games are so much better with more players. Anything that is the best at 2 players, but can still add more?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speaking of 3+ player games? Does anybody have any suggestions for 2 player games. We have stuff like Dominion, but those games are so much better with more players. Anything that is the best at 2 players, but can still add more?

Race for the Galaxy, Innovation, and Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper spring to mind.

I forgot to mention that I picked up my kickstarter for Evil Baby Orphanage over the weekend. The cards aren't the best quality, and they won't fit in the smallish box when sleeved so I may have to make a custom tuck-box. Overall though the theme is pretty funny and the game mechanics look pretty solid. I'll wait to see how it plays (I need to stop getting games that require 3+ players), but it looks pretty quick/fun.

Best at 2 players but can add more? War of the Ring and Battleship: Galaxies come to mind, but honestly those are two player games with multiplayer jammed in there. These next couple games are primarily multiplayer games that work really well as two player games.

Cyclades. Seems odd but I prefer the two player game to the three player game here. The two player game becomes less about the auction and focuses more on the map. It works well and I think a better game than the three player version. The four and five player games still are great.

Dungeon Petz. Surprisingly works well as a two player game. The way it works is spaces gets blocked in a fixed order. So some turns forces you to go for another action. It adds another layer of decisions and priorities to a turn.

Agricola. Different board setups make this game work with any number of people. The two player game is more about a high score race than denying your neighbor goods but it still works.

Pandemic or just about any co-op for that matter. Co-op games work with any number of players because the game is more focused on trying to beat the board and not each other. Two player Pandemic can be a bit easy but with a number of different difficulty levels so you can raise the difficulty if it starts becoming too easy.

all the gencon pics and videos are making me salivate..
the FFG stuff looks really awesome, tho FFG really does have the chrome part down pat.

Watching the 4 part video on FFG's page really makes Gencon look like so much fun.

Also Sounds like the new Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery is a real hit,can't wait to see more reviews when it hits shelves.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128671/spartacus-a-game-of-blood-treachery
I'm actually pretty hyped for it. The early word makes it sound great.

unfortunately it's only available for pre-order from Gale Force 9 right now.
Yeah, $40 MSRP is not bad but it an MSRP that low might mean a pretty cheap game once it hits retailers.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ya 40dollars for a good game is a very fair price as long as components are half decent quality.

always nice when a game like this or BSG surprises everyone by being a good game with a licensed IP

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Game night last night:
-Six-player (three team) game of Ticket to Ride Team Asia. Man what a love it or hate it game. House ruled that you basically can't talk about gameplay at all since the table-talk rules caused confusion last time. I really enjoy it. I've seen on BGG that the preferred strategy is to immediately use a turn to dump your hand tickets but I've not seen that be dominant at all. Fact is as long as you take care of your own business you should be OK. And the game gets quite chaotic near the end anyway so all perfect plans are very likely to be ruined.

-Two games of King of Tokyo (5p & 7p). One of those games that people might not get that hyped for beforehand but once you start playing everyone is super into it. When you have people chanting at someone rolling dice ("Smash, Smash, Smash!") or reacting a great deal to roll results ("No hearts -- you're dead next turn!") to me that's an ideal board-gaming situation. :D

I wish my group would like King of Tokyo. No one hates it, but it's always just the game that is used as filler between other games or before a larger game. No one really taking it seriously nor really gets into it. Odd seems like everyone else is crazy about it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's lame. It's definitely a filler but in my experience the only people who don't like it are those who just flat out don't like dice-chuckers (boooo).

I wish my group would like King of Tokyo. No one hates it, but it's always just the game that is used as filler between other games or before a larger game. No one really taking it seriously nor really gets into it. Odd seems like everyone else is crazy about it.
That's a shame. King of Tokyo has been a huge hit at our game nights. We've played at least once a meeting for the past 5 weeks, maybe 6. It's replaced 7 Wonders as the, "what do we drag out when waiting for more people" game. It's also a popular one to close out the night with. I really like that game.

That's lame. It's definitely a filler but in my experience the only people who don't like it are those who just flat out don't like dice-chuckers (boooo).

Those are the worst kind of people in the world. Rolling dice is one of the most objectively enjoyable things that one can do.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Those are the worst kind of people in the world. Rolling dice is one of the most objectively enjoyable things that one can do.

When I first was getting back into boardgaming I was captivated with the idea of not relying on dice to determine how games go.. the way games like carcassonne and puerto rico and caylus flowed without the luck of the bones...loved it.

but after a couple years i've moved back to liking some randomness.. I like something in the middle best I think.

Games like Cyclades and Bloodbowl Manager really don't require dice to be awesome but these add just that little extra excitement to it I really enjoy..and sometimes when its feeling hopeless its always great to comeback on luck when you seem down and out.

Petrie

Banned

CSI needs to get that back in Stock or someone else needs a similar price on it. Do want.

Well like I said, they don't hate it, they just don't rave or seem to love it like so many others do. It's quick to play filler. They felt same about Quarriors but to me that is not as fun just because it has a bit of set up which drags down the whole quick play aspect.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
KoT strategy I'm going to try next time is to get into Tokyo and then just start SMASHING everyone else. Usually I try to play pacifist but I think if you go in at high health, don't get dinged too bad, and then go really aggro everyone has to spend time recovering instead of targeting you.

b/c let's face it, killing every other monster is INFINITELY cooler than winning on points.

all the gencon pics and videos are making me salivate..
the FFG stuff looks really awesome, tho FFG really does have the chrome part down pat.

Watching the 4 part video on FFG's page really makes Gencon look like so much fun.

Also Sounds like the new Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery is a real hit,can't wait to see more reviews when it hits shelves.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128671/spartacus-a-game-of-blood-treachery

Sweet. It's one of the two games I picked up at GenCon (the other being the classic Power Grid).

Speaking of which, did anyone else go to GenCon? Later today when I'm not at work, I was thinking of posting my thoughts about the games that I demoed (that premiered at GenCon):

- Spartacus (?)
- Kingdom Builder (Queen Games)
- X-Wing figure game (?) (FFG)
- Power Grid: First Sparks (Rio Grande)
- Smash Up! (AEG)

Huh apparently FFG is going to be at Star Wars Celebration this weekend. Guess it makes sense since they are doing all the Star Wars games and it's a con about the size of Gencon, but just all SW fans. Guess I'll see if they have demos of the upcoming SW LCG, reactions to the new format seem mixed so far, but I think perhaps many are just upset since the dropped the LOTRO style coop system they were originally using.

I'll only go over the games I demoed that are new to the community, though I'd be interested in other people's thoughts about Kingdom Builder. I liked the demo game, but it seemed expensive to buy at the con.

Spartacus:

Neat game that holds true to the spirit of the show. The point of the game is to raise your influence to a certain level and there are many ways to do so. There's the political intrigue part of each turn where you (and possibly other players) scheme to do nasty things to other players. There's the gladiatorial part of each turn where two players get to duke it out for fame and glory. There's a third undercurrent, which is money. Though it doesn't directly lead to influence, it's really important for asset acquisition and maintenance (slaves, gladiators, equipment) and for auctions (for assets and the right to host the games).

It's a pretty easy game to learn/teach, thematically fun (especially the part where the host chooses life or death for the loser in the games), and pretty interactive (the pleaded/begging/scheming). I love how they allow for different game setups to control the length of the game.

I had two plays so far: A one-turn introduction at GenCon, which was enough to buy it, and a full game later with two friends. Our game was very competitive, varied in terms of the strategies we employed, extremely close (all three had a chance to win within the last two turns), and we laughed the entire time.

Summary: I wouldn't have a problem calling it the game of the show for me.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game:

I need to start by saying I have no experience with field combat games like Warhammer or Battleship Galaxies. This is written from essentially a newbie's perspective.

As a big geek of Star Wars, I was immediately drawn to the booth and it already had a 5/10 rating from the start.

The figures seem pretty well-detailed for out-of-the-box components. The movement templates make moving across the board straightforward (no debating about lengths, angles, etc.). The selection of movements (hidden choice a la Robo Rally) and the movement types (relaxed, normal, and stressed) add a nice level of complexity to a basic part of the turn. Line of sight is handled by a simple straight piece of cardboard.

As we played the demo, it felt pretty good and actually felt like dogfighting. The powers seemed varied enough and there's pretty decent depth for the choices a player could make.

I'm 75% about this game. It was fun to play, but there were a few factors that held me back from getting it. First, the MSRP of $45 + $15 + $15 to have enough figures (min 2 per side) was enough for me to stop and think about it. Secondly, having seen the other types of field combat games out there, I know there are other games out there that are far more complex. Not that being more complex is necessarily a good thing, this is where my lack of experience makes it hard to give it a complete grade.

Summary: This is on my maybe-yeah list. I definitely have to get it from CSI if I do get this, but I'll need to sit on the idea for a little while.

Smash Up!

When I was told to look for this game before the convention started, I was hyped on this game by a fellow goer. The way he described it, I imagined Rampage the video game translated to a board game. My head was swirling with images of a cityscape board and monsters climbing all over the towers, knocking S down. Imagine my surprise when I sat down to what essentially was a card game. His description was accurate, but my imagination let me down.

Smash Up! is a card customization game where the customization basically happens at the beginning of the game when players draft their team combinations. As an owner of Puzzle Strike, that's already strike one because new players have a significant disadvantage against advanced players. As experience grows amongst players, it'll probably level out.

With your two race combinations, you will spend each turn playing an action and deploying a minion to a location. The goal is to overrun a location and the participating players will be rewarded with points based on their contributions. The locations are varied and you can tell that some are themed towards specific races.

Our demo game went to 7 points (a full game goes to 15+?) and … I won with 13 points in 5 turns. Pre-draft, I had guessed that the Robots and Zombies would make a strong team, but had no idea it'd be game-breaking (again, without prior experience, my opponents stood no chance). I think the score ended up 13/4/2/1.

Summary: It was fun to play, but I really hate it when I break a game. It has "Quarriors" written all over it for me, which is a heavy strike two because I just don't see the balance between the races in this game (don't get me started about Quarriors ...). Basically, I'd have no problems playing it if someone else had it but I'll never buy this game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bummer that Smash Up! disappointed. Sounds to me almost like Small World or something where there are all these combos you have to know or be left in the dust even though the overall mechanics are super simple.

You have me modestly interested in the X-Wing game though.

Bummer that Smash Up! disappointed. Sounds to me almost like Small World or something where there are all these combos you have to know or be left in the dust even though the overall mechanics are super simple.

You have me modestly interested in the X-Wing game though.

For Smash Up!, I used Puzzle Strike as an example because the player's choice in starting character was very important. Though very balanced overall, if you didn't know Sakura > Dan > Guile > Sakura (made-up example), then you'd feel like the game was very broken if you were on the wrong end of a Sakura vs. Dan matchup.

In Smallworld, your choice in races/powers is semi-random (and limited by victory point usage), so you do need to know, but it's information you can assess while waiting for your turn. It's not something you're stuck and forced to deal with. I can't off the top of my head think of other games where players have to explicitly choose how they're playing before the game starts.

To further stoke you on X-Wing, it's extremely easy to teach to casuals. You secretly choose how you'll fly, reveal at the same time and resolve in priority order (and like Robo Rally, watch the hilarity ensue when things fly where you don't expect them). Shoot something or "focus". Next turn. There's probably more depth than that, but we were all new to the game, so that's what we all focused on. The rookie rebel pilot had proton torpedoes, but he never fired them. The idiot Luke pilot (me) kept presenting his rear to the enemy and died really fast, despite his special ability to convert focus rolls to avoidance ones!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
hows a game like X-wing work?
It looks cool tho expensive but if you could get a good deal it might not be bad.

Is it scenario based? how long can you play the game without having to buy more and more models to maintain playability?

It looks cool tho expensive but if you could get a good deal it might not be bad.

Is it scenario based? how long can you play the game without having to buy more and more models to maintain playability?

If it's anything like Battleship Galaxies, it's probably scenario based. Also, it's got a draft system (like Heroscape) where you have a set number of points to spend. You can spend it on ships, upgrades, etc., but there's a balance in all that.

That being said, like any good company, expansion ships happen. The X-Wing and Tie Fighter are in the base game. The Y-Wing and Tie-Bomber was expansions at GenCon. The A-Wing, Tie Interceptor/Advanced (don't remember clearly), Millennium Falcon, and Slave One were all shown in the teaser glass case.

There might be some scenarios, but essentially it's force vs. force. Like any miniatures game, it gets better with more figures. Of course that means that its cost goes up significantly...and then the storage. Miniatures games are a slippery slope for me. I have boxes full of heroclix.

Oh I also played Evil Baby Orphanage last night which was hilariously cutthroat. The game reaches critical mass at a point because you just keep adopting evil babies. There's a huge amount of screwing your neighbor, preventing it with cards, and then having your preventative card prevented. Also Rutherford B. Hayes is worth the most points in the game...he's the most evil baby in the game because "he know why."

I've taken an interest in Objets Trouves http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21022/objets-trouves

It's a party game where you make sculptures out of everyday objects, and people guess what you made from a handful of choices on a cards. It was released only in France and remade into a similar German game, (Was n' Das?)though apparently the versions have quite a few differences. What initially got me interested in this game were the components. The game actually comes with stuff like a toothbrush, a rock, and a rubber band. The game is unlikely to ever be released here and the components are everyday items(and some cards) so it seems like it would be a good game to make myself. Someone has also translated a number of the cards here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/13640892/Objets-Trouves-US-homebrew-cards

It's more of a miniature game than a board game so it's fairly flexible, but most often you will want to play with scenarios. The rulebook comes with a set of scenarios to play through and often done with mini games, players will surely create your own. Competitive mini games usually after release depend on the community to create a standard sized game that will end up becoming the tourny size point value wise for play. Book recommends 100 points which can be anywhere from 3-6 ships on average depending on how you build your force.

Like the game it's based off of, Wings of War, the games will likely stay in these smaller sized fleet sizes to keep it a decently paced game, otherwise it really bogs down when you have too many ships. But players of course are gonna have huge battles for the heck of it... just because.

You can play the game fine with just the starter set really, point buy system lets you create a simple balanced force, but how much you buy after that is going to be up to you. 100 points as said which is 3-6 ships or so is what FFG is expecting to be the standard tourny sized forces.

But this will also change as they are going to keep putting out more and more ships, with the Falcon and Slave 1 being considered medium size ships and they already have said larger ships than those are coming.

It's more of a miniature game than a board game so it's fairly flexible, but most often you will want to play with scenarios. The rulebook comes with a set of scenarios to play through and often done with mini games, players will surely create your own. Competitive mini games usually after release depend on the community to create a standard sized game that will end up becoming the tourny size point value wise for play. Book recommends 100 points which can be anywhere from 3-6 ships on average depending on how you build your force.

Like the game it's based off of, Wings of War, the games will likely stay in these smaller sized fleet sizes to keep it a decently paced game, otherwise it really bogs down when you have too many ships. But players of course are gonna have huge battles for the heck of it... just because.

You can play the game fine with just the starter set really, point buy system lets you create a simple balanced force, but how much you buy after that is going to be up to you. 100 points as said which is 3-6 ships or so is what FFG is expecting to be the standard tourny sized forces.

But this will also change as they are going to keep putting out more and more ships, with the Falcon and Slave 1 being considered medium size ships and they already have said larger ships than those are coming.

You seem to be a big fan of X-Wing. Do you know what some of the difference are between it and Wings of War. They seem really, really similar.

You seem to be a big fan of X-Wing. Do you know what some of the difference are between it and Wings of War. They seem really, really similar.

I'm big into tons of miniature games, I soak them up through my pores and watch the money wash away.

X-Wing main unique feature is the customization of your ships. The core gameplay is essentially the same, but with X-Wing you have the ability to take a ship and put in a pilot which you pay points for. You can put in generic academy recruit for cheap, or even put a major character such as Luke Skywalker for lot of points. Better pilot obviously grants unique abilities to your craft. Some pilots then can also be further upgraded with unique abilities. Each craft in the game also has a preset of slots that you can add upgrades too, such as droids, equipment, missiles, etc. All this is done with cards with each fighter comes with multiples. You can really splurge and make an expensive point based fighter with awesome pilot with tons of gear if you want. And of course you have some different aspects unique to the game such as ships having shields and such, obviously not found in WWI planes

On the other hand Wings of War generally has a preset deck of cards assigned to the craft, with some belonging to famous aces coming with said unique deck, but for the most part the craft are generic based on class, you don't customize them like you do in X-Wing. Lot of extra rules have been added to Wings of War over time, as with the flight stands with the various pegs, the reason they are that way is so you can move your fighters up and down to show differences in altitude. This is not used in X-Wing but it seems like it might be in the future if they add in atmospheric combat rules. Wing's of War added lot of flavorful rules over the years as well to fit with the WWI theme such as dive bombers and ground combat interactions. The later deluxe sets that were put out had all the rules compiled pretty much. X-Wing will also probably expand with more complex rules and options, especially with them adding in larger sized craft to the game. Combat in WoW was also more random and dangerous since WWI planes were very fragile and one single lucky bullet could cripple and destroy one. Hence you had chances of getting lucky one shot kills and in general the planes got eliminated quickly. In X-Wing the ships generally take a bit more to destroy so you have a slightly slower game, but also little less random feeling when it comes to damage dealing.

The folks now working on Wings of War (its now Wings of Glory since new company took over the game) are also using a version of the game system for a Napoleonics set naval historical game with prepainted ships!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have a couple Arkham Horror questions I'm having trouble finding answers for?

1. If you are already at your monster cap and you get a headline saying that two monsters appear in the downtown streets do those monsters go to the outskirts, get put back in the cup or stay on the board if they are in the same place as an investigator?

2. I'm in another world and get a card starting that you can return to Arkham. I return to the gate and mark it explored and at the same time choose to play my Elder Sign unique item to seal the gate. However there also happens to be a monster on the gate, what happens to the monster? Does he go back to the cup with the closing of the gate?

Thanks!

I have a couple Arkham Horror questions I'm having trouble finding answers for?

1. If you are already at your monster cap and you get a headline saying that two monsters appear in the downtown streets do those monsters go to the outskirts, get put back in the cup or stay on the board if they are in the same place as an investigator?

2. I'm in another world and get a card starting that you can return to Arkham. I return to the gate and mark it explored and at the same time choose to play my Elder Sign unique item to seal the gate. However there also happens to be a monster on the gate, what happens to the monster? Does he go back to the cup with the closing of the gate?

Thanks!

Not sure about 1, but for 2 I think you can't seal (or use the Elder Sign) until you get around to the Arkham Encounter phase on your next turn.
The monster will only go back in the cup if the monster's symbol matches the symbol on the gate (applies to all monsters).
If not they remain wherever they are and have to be dealt with on your next turn.
You don't fight them during the movement phase immediately after you come back out of the gate but you have to take them into account after your first attempt to seal the gate.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit. I'm wrong - you have to fight the monster - you only get the benefit of avoiding if you come back normally through moving.

Thanks. I really love the game. I have been playing it by myself to try and get the rules down. Playing with 2 investigators is difficult. Do you try to close gates immediately or do you go for clues first?

Thanks. I really love the game. I have been playing it by myself to try and get the rules down. Playing with 2 investigators is difficult. Do you try to close gates immediately or do you go for clues first?
I'm no expert but I think it's worth collecting the nice piles of clues where possible (2s and 3s),
otherwise when the gates open they'll disappear.
But you need to get gates shut or else the monster surges will push the terror track up.
Two investigators is hard.
If you haven't come across it yes the Universal Head summary is useful to have on hand.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/22286/universal-head-arkham-horror-rules-summary-refere

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm no expert but I think it's worth collecting the nice piles of clues where possible (2s and 3s),
otherwise when the gates open they'll disappear.
But you need to get gates shut or else the monster surges will push the terror track up.
Two investigators is hard.
If you haven't come across it yes the Universal Head summary is useful to have on hand.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/22286/universal-head-arkham-horror-rules-summary-refere

I found the answer to my first question. If a headline says two monsters appear they stay on the board (mythos monsters are different from location monsters), therefore if the moster limit is already hit they would simply go to the outskirts.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I found the answer to my first question. If a headline says two monsters appear they stay on the board (mythos monsters are different from location monsters), therefore if the moster limit is already hit they would simply go to the outskirts.

Yep, all correct. Do yourself a favor though and play with at least 3-4 investigators. 2 is really tough, especially for beginners, and you miss out on a lot of fun mechanics like trading items, giving people specific tasks (clue-hunter, other-world-explorer, monster-killer, etc.). General thinking is the fewer people you have, the easier it is to just fight the boss; the more you have, the easier it is to seal gates, so with 2 you very likely want to be going for the former and just spending your time mostly gearing up for that fight by getting money and shopping for powerful items. But play with at least 3! As a beginner, game is great with 4 because there are lots of strategies you can pursue and it's no longer oppressively difficult.

Oh, also spoiler about very basic game strategy:
spells mostly suck if you haven't noticed already :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, all correct. Do yourself a favor though and play with at least 3-4 investigators. 2 is really tough, especially for beginners, and you miss out on a lot of fun mechanics like trading items, giving people specific tasks (clue-hunter, other-world-explorer, monster-killer, etc.). General thinking is the fewer people you have, the easier it is to just fight the boss; the more you have, the easier it is to seal gates, so with 2 you very likely want to be going for the former and just spending your time mostly gearing up for that fight by getting money and shopping for powerful items. But play with at least 3! As a beginner, game is great with 4 because there are lots of strategies you can pursue and it's no longer oppressively difficult.

Oh, also spoiler about very basic game strategy:
spells mostly suck if you haven't noticed already :D

Yeah spells don't seem that great. One I found useful was enchanting a physical weapon to use against a physical immunity monster.

Next game I will try with 3 (running out of table space, lol). I like the idea of player specific tasks.

Getting the Rumor which adds a doom token every Mythos phase if you roll a 1 or a 2 sucks, especially early on and you don't have an ally to sacrifice.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
wonder why with all the addon's they haven't fixed spellcasting..seems almost no point taking a spell centric character vs anyone else that can start with a magic weapon or good physical weapon..

its been a long time since we played Arkham but think we decided to just make the sanity cost only apply if you successfully cast vs upfront cost since its so harsh

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes, rumors are easily the most brutal part of the base game. Generally you want to focus everything on getting rid of them (though there are a handful that aren't that bad). Only benefit of rumors is that they prevent other rumors from going into play. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom