• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohnonono

I just stayed late at work to secretly abuse the company laminator to make those rules summary sheets for Arkham Horror and Pandemic. They fit inside the boxes and everything.

Also, Back To The Future arrived!

I made *gasp* color copies of rule summary sheets for LnL games at work. I had to get a code to do it, lol.

Neverfade

Just played a solo game of Agricola. Game still stresses me the F out.

Have a question: If you have a fireplace (or any other animal-cooking appliance), can you drop a guy on a juicy pile of sheep/pigs/cows to immediately turn them into delicious steaks, or do I have to have room for all the ones I'm going to cook?

And excess animals (not cooked or no room for) just go back to the stock?

P.S. I may or may not have played one action right, and thus had a score somewhere in the 44-49 range I think. My minor improvements didn't combo very well. Shitty draw. Baker + Millstone kept me alive though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
-yes you can cook animals right away -- only exception is that you can't cook a baby animal -- specifically: Baby animals and parent
animals may not be converted into Food immediately after the birth (for example, if you
only have room for two animals of that type); they simply run away if they cannot be
accommodated.

-yes extra animals run free (though you can take animals you don't have room for)

Neverfade

Now I feel like a doofus. There was a metric shitton of sheep I could have turned into tasty cakes. That would have saved me at least 2 actions I used to get food elsewhere.

BOO THIS GAME!

I'm coming around somewhat.

I think I just need to play with more. I'm so used to Le Havre being mega awesome solo/with 2.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes that's actually a valid and important strategy -- building a stove and just cooking animals as your primary source of food. I'm not that familiar with solo or two though; I've almost always played Agricola with three.

Xater

Hey guys! :)

Ky7ER.jpg

Barmaley

Neo Member
Hey guys! :)

Ky7ER.jpg

I guess congratulations are in order. Maybe, just maybe I'll too get to go there this year.
On an different note: after another session of bsg I came to the conclusion that I'm not a fan of co-op games. I just prefer playing against the human artificial intelligence of my friends so much more. I'm sorry space alert, I'll never get to play you.

The kickstarter for Story Realms is up and running.
Its a storytelling rpg intended for children and families, intended to run easily and be completed in an hour.
My crew are probably too young for this but...international shipping...hmm....

fenners

The kickstarter for Story Realms is up and running.
Its a storytelling rpg intended for children and families, intended to run easily and be completed in an hour.
My crew are probably too young for this but...international shipping...hmm....

The Springboard Seal of Quality! It *Must* be good then! :)

Looks interesting, but one I'd definitely have to try before I buy with my kiddoes, sadly.

I will say, having public stretch goals initially for $250k on a $20k project is a little interesting...

Is that only a day ticket? It seems pretty cheap if it's for the entire fair.

The Spiel is not an expensive fair to go to - it's very family friendly etc. The hard part for us is the expense of /getting/ there & the amount of money to spend /at/ the show.

Xater

Is that only a day ticket? It seems pretty cheap if it's for the entire fair.

It's just a one day ticket (a ticket for all days is 31€). That is usually enough for me. I don't have to try out dozens of games and I also don't buy that many. Also the fair is just 30 minutes away from where I live. ;)

Will just as last time buy stuff for GAF if anyone wants something.

It's just a one day ticket (a ticket for all days is 31€). That is usually enough for me. I don't have to try out dozens of games and I also don't buy that many. Also the fair is just 30 minutes away from where I live. ;)
I didn't realize it was that cheap, good deal.
Will just as last time buy stuff for GAF if anyone wants something.
I might just have to take you up on this. I just need to figure out what is releasing at Essen.

Neverfade

I guess congratulations are in order. Maybe, just maybe I'll too get to go there this year.
On an different note: after another session of bsg I came to the conclusion that I'm not a fan of co-op games. I just prefer playing against the human artificial intelligence of my friends so much more. I'm sorry space alert, I'll never get to play you.

Say whaaaa. In BSG you're absolutey playing against your friends.

Neverfade

So, any idea when Android Netrunner will be available in stores? I have a serious itch to play this.

Shipped from FFG the other day. I'd imagine CSI and other early adopters will have it early next week,

I didn't realize it was that cheap, good deal.
I might just have to take you up on this. I just need to figure out what is releasing at Essen.

Same. Apparently there's a Carson city expansion hitting then. Talk about under the radar. No details at all yet.

This. BSG's meta game (who's a Cylon) is it's game. You can't fully trust anyone until the Cylons reveal themselves. Speaking of BSg I played again last night and I was a Cylon again. Between BSG and BSG Express it is close to 6 or 7 times in a row I am a Cylon. It's gotten to the point that my group just automatically assumes I'm a Cylon as soon as we start the game.

BSG is one of the only cooperative games I'll ever play. The problem with cooperative games (like Shadows over Camelot, Pandemic, etc.) is the mob mentality. We're all one team, we all should work together like this, blah blah blah.

In BSG, the constant fear of cylons adds a layer that doesn't exist in vanilla co-op games. Yes, there's a team effort, but we still execute as individuals. The moment we act as a mob, the cylon(s) have us.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm not as experienced in BSG (which I may actually be playing this weekend for the first time since I played it with Neverfade at PAX East three (!?) years ago), but isn't it basically Shadows Over Camelot with just a little added complexity? Seems to have most of the same core mechanics. I do enjoy both games btw. Pandemic/Forbidden Island, even though I like them a lot are games that can very easily fall prey to a single director if that bothers you. There are ways to mitigate this though -- for one follow the rules about not showing your cards even though they seem silly, and then as long as you're the most experienced you can pretty easily just step back a little and let others come up with ideas.

Xater

I still like Pandemic a lot. Then again my group never has someone telling everyone else what to do. At worst it will be a total team effort. BSG looks cool but I don#t like the 3 hou play time and it looks like a bitch to teach.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh yeah that's really cool about Essen too. Though I'm sure it comes with its own problems, I've always loved the true family vibe of the European gaming scene. Definitely going when my daughter is old enough to enjoy it.

I still like Pandemic a lot. Then again my group never has someone telling everyone else what to do. At worst it will be a total team effort. BSG looks cool but I don#t like the 3 hou play time and it looks like a bitch to teach.
BSG is actually pretty easy to teach. It's mechanics are super simple and aren't really all that exciting, to be honest. On a turn you move and perform an action. The action could be the space you are standing on, a card from your hand, or if you are piloting a ship moving and/or shooting. Once you perform that action you draw a crisis card and see if you pass or fail based on a skill check. Humans win if they travel 8 distance plus one more jump and Cylons win if they stop the humans from doing that, usually by depleting resources. That's it. The mechanics are made to blend into the background while you are trying to smoke out the traitor.

So, just an Apples to Apples clone with a pasted-on theme? Huh.

What happened to their first Kickstarter?
I think it failed miserably because it's a shitty idea and costs way too much for what it is.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Oh, it just didn't meet its goal. I was hoping for something more exciting. Although, actually looking at the pledge levels and stuff is pretty hilarious.

First few pledge levels:
-$20 for a magnet
-$50 for a t-shirt
-$75 for the game

Ok, these prices are already completely absurd, but it gets better:
-$150 for the game and a shirt (note: 75 + 50 = 125)
-$250 for two games and a shirt (75 +75 + 50 = 200)
-$500 for two games, two shirts, and two magnets (75 + 75 + 50 + 50 + 20 + 20 = 290)

Brilliant. The more you pledge, the more you're getting ripped off.

Can no one there do basic math, or do they not understand the concept of getting more when you pay more?

Yep, this is what I was getting at. This Kickstarter was already horrible the first time and the fact that it failed and they re-posted it with the same horrendous pricing is just retarded.

Pepboy

I just put in a CSI order for GoT:Boardgame (2nd ed) with 2 day shipping. Any thoughts on whether I'll get it by Tuesday? In other words, do they ship anything on Saturdays?

Also, does CSI provide tracking numbers? Thanks!

Edit: Also, how is CSI with unopened returns? If I can't get it by Tuesday I may buy it at a B&M...

sneaky77

I just put in a CSI order for GoT:Boardgame (2nd ed) with 2 day shipping. Any thoughts on whether I'll get it by Tuesday? In other words, do they ship anything on Saturdays?

Edit: Also, how is CSI with unopened returns? If I can't get it by Tuesday I may buy it at a B&M...

They may ship on Saturday.. but none of the shipping companies will.. so I will guess Thursday at the earliest since Monday is a holiday.

So any recommendations for groups of 6-7? We play 7 wonders and a modified dominion but we are looking for something new.

Any type of game is cool.

Thanks guys

Tonight is the night I get to try out my expansions for Last Night on Earth. Very pumped. (Growing Hunger and Survival of the Fittest that is)

So any recommendations for groups of 6-7? We play 7 wonders and a modified dominion but we are looking for something new.

Thanks guys

I'm loving cosmic encounter...base game comes with 5 players but all of the expansions add a player up to 8. I've never not had fun playing that game. Also if you want the Lovecraftian thing without all the complexity, Elder Sign can be picked up for pretty cheap and can play up to 8 and is a fun co-op dice chucking game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm loving cosmic encounter...base game comes with 5 players but all of the expansions add a player up to 8. I've never not had fun playing that game. Also if you want the Lovecraftian thing without all the complexity, Elder Sign can be picked up for pretty cheap and can play up to 8 and is a fun co-op dice chucking game.

How difficult to teach/play is Cosmic Encounter for non-boardgamers? I've had success getting my small group of friends who aren't that much into Boardgaming playing some Dominion and Forbidden Island, but haven't really tackled more than that successfully (I'm looking at you, Innovation :( ), and was wondering if Cosmic Encounter would be sth good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Thanks guys
I would say play two games usually. But Robo Rally is good with that many and Ticket to Ride Team Asia is fun with 6 as well.

Xater

How difficult to teach/play is Cosmic Encounter for non-boardgamers? I've had success getting my small group of friends who aren't that much into Boardgaming playing some Dominion and Forbidden Island, but haven't really tackled more than that successfully (I'm looking at you, Innovation :( ), and was wondering if Cosmic Encounter would be sth good.

I just bought the game myself and will play it for the first time today. The basic rules seem simple enough. Will come back with feedback on how it went tomorrow.

Thanks guys

I would also say Bohnanza and Citadels. Those are also very low investments due to being card games.

Barmaley

Neo Member
This. BSG's meta game (who's a Cylon) is it's game. You can't fully trust anyone until the Cylons reveal themselves. Speaking of BSg I played again last night and I was a Cylon again. Between BSG and BSG Express it is close to 6 or 7 times in a row I am a Cylon. It's gotten to the point that my group just automatically assumes I'm a Cylon as soon as we start the game.

Sure, when the cylon is revealed or someone gets thrown into the brig the game gets more competitive, but until then its a coop through and through, with some slight paranoia (unless you are the cylon(s)). Imo, a very simplistic coop game at that.
It takes too long (or maybe it's just my group) and I don't think I'm going to sink another 4 hours into this game again.

I would also say Bohnanza and Citadels. Those are also very low investments due to being card games.

I wouldn't recommend citadels for more than 5 people, otherwise it drags on forever. I prefer playing it with 4.

Barmaley

Neo Member
It's fine if you don't like it, but this is objectively not the case.

Of course that's just my personal experience with it. For example the first time I played it I got a support class, and all that was required of me was either some odd repairing here and there or transferring my moves. And for almost 3 hours that was the whole game for me. Until i got thrown into the brig, at which point I turned into a spectator for another hour because the humans didn't trust me enough to get me out. The other classes I played after that were only slightly better.
I'm not saying I want more action in my games but... I want more action.
That's why I like resistance so much. It takes the most interesting aspect of bsg, namely the scheming, the lying and the tears, and distills it into a 30 minutes long, extremely animated game.

Neverfade

Of course that's just my personal experience with it. For example the first time I played it I got a support class, and all that was required of me was either some odd repairing here and there or transferring my moves. And for almost 3 hours that was the whole game for me. Until i got thrown into the brig, at which point I turned into a spectator for another hour because the humans didn't trust me enough to get me out. The other classes I played after that were only slightly better.
I'm not saying I want more action in my games but... I want more action.
That's why I like resistance so much. It takes the most interesting aspect of bsg, namely the scheming, the lying and the tears, and distills it into a 30 minutes long, extremely animated game.

Seems like an incredibly unfair boiling down of mechanics. Wanting more action and then hailing Resistance: does not compute!

Oh well, different strokes I guess.

They charge a restocking fee.

The Springboard Seal of Quality! It *Must* be good then! :)

Looks interesting, but one I'd definitely have to try before I buy with my kiddoes, sadly.

I will say, having public stretch goals initially for $250k on a $20k project is a little interesting...

They have the rules and the first adventure/bits for print and play. :)

jason10mm

Gold Member
Played History of the World last night at D*con. FIVE and a half HOURS! Lots of fun for about the first 4 hours, but damned if that old school design didn't kick in and the guys (like me) in the rear never had a chance. So we could either play kingmaker or just do our best. Have not played a game like this for a while (HotW is a 90s era Avalon hill game. The hasbro reprint is gorgeous though) and the mechanics and game pace are not like modern games. Sooooo hope I can get the same group of guys to play eclipse tonight.

Petrie

Banned
Tonight is the night I get to try out my expansions for Last Night on Earth. Very pumped. (Growing Hunger and Survival of the Fittest that is)

I wish I played these more. I have LnoE, growing, survival, and the 4th big one they released, and have played them like 3 times. I have IfOS as well, and have tried that once.

My friends suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom